***** THE MANDALORIAN SEASON 3 Official Thread *****

130,877 Views | 1857 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by jokershady
bobinator
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I just think they've fumbled the Gideon thing pretty bad. Star Wars is always as much about the villains as much as it is the heroes, and I don't think it's landed here which is a shame because you've got Giancarlo Esposito to work with.

But do we really care what happens to him? If we never saw him again after the end of last season would anyone have cared? When we learned he broke out was your reaction "oh ****" or was it "oh, okay, I guess he's still the bad guy."
BowSowy
AG
Looks like Elon Musk blue himself
The Porkchop Express
AG
Definitely Not A Cop said:

Hungry Ojos said:

The Porkchop Express said:

C@LAg said:

jokershady said:

What in the world is a potato picture?
When low-quality photos or videos are posted online, people often say that they were shot with a "potato camera.

I posted it on the Ahsoka thread.

What's so special about this guy? So this guy is the big season long reveal that's supposed to put a bulge in our underoos? He looks like an Ace Hardware employee.

Thrawn is like the Moriarty of Star Wars. Sherlock Holmes Big Bad. Smarter than everyone and always 5 steps ahead. No special powers other than his brain.
That's what made him such a breath of fresh air in the EU books in the early 90s. He had a crazy Jedi working for him, but at no time was that guy ever a threat to Thrawn's abilities (until the very end). I would be over the moon if he had a similar defense system in place - won't spoil for non-book readers - since he appears to have 2 Dark Jedi / Sith working for him in the Ahsoka series.

His greatest weapon is information and his power to psychological weaknesses in a species based on their culture, their artwork, etc. His weakness in the later Thrawn books is that he is a neophyte at Imperial politics. He never is able to understand when people stab each other in the back because he's so focused on completing objectives. He's very much the protagonist in all the recent books, and a dazzling part of the original Heir to the Empire trilogy - and those books have an overwhelmingly # of great characters, as well as the birth of the name Coruscant.

He's been gone from the normal part of the galaxy for at least 10 years by the time of Gideon's mention of him in the last episode of Mando. Ezra Bridger as well and a Star Destroyer full of troops. So the question becomes, is he stuck somewhere that he can't get back from, like the plot of Star Trek: Voyager - or did he see what happened to the Emperor and Death Star 2 and decide to stay out there until he was ready to come back? Or both?
Feels so good, feelin' good again.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Yes, and that will be all I say on the subject, as I know how people are with book readers around here.

Highly recommend listening to the Heir to The Empire on Audible, they do a great job with all the voices and have the original soundtrack included in different parts.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Mando viewing numbers skyrocket

a new update (via Variety) from the company has revealed that The Mandalorian enjoyed a sizable increase in viewership for the week of March 13-19. The third episode of the present season released that week, and the series was viewed for 1.115 billion minutes during those seven days. It was the third most-viewed streaming show of the week, only slightly behind Netflix's Shadow and Bone and You.

Nielsen's ratings include viewings of all currently available episodes in a series, not just the most recent one. So, the high number for The Mandalorian measures viewings of Chapter 19 as well as earlier installments. When we take that into account, it's remarkable that the current season is getting viewing numbers on par with You, which has almost double the number of episodes that The Mandalorian does.

Additionally, this number isn't just a large step up from the viewership for the season premiere. It also represents one of the best weeks for the series in terms of viewership since Nielsen began measuring streaming ratings in 2020. As some have observed, the only two Mandalorian episodes that recorded higher ratings from Nielsen were Chapters 13 and 16 from season 2.

The Porkchop Express
AG
Filoni speaking to Collider on the finale

"They'll have a lot to take in, and I think with any good ending there's the moment you're in it when you're cheering and you feel satisfied, but then there's a little bit after that where you think back at all the things that happened. Maybe you start to put them together in a different way and you realize it's an ending, but there are other things happening out there in the galaxy that now you know more about."
bobinator
AG
Kids on spring break?
redline248
AG
jabberwalkie09
AG
AliasMan02 said:

jabberwalkie09 said:

maroon barchetta said:

Is there a chance a New Republic fleet shows up?

We had the dad from Kim's Convenience piloting the X-Wing that found that Gideon had been extracted and never went to trial. Any chance he arrives somehow with reinforcements?

Been thinking about this for a little bit, I'm going to put some thoughts out there which probably aren't remotely right.

With Ahsoka coming in August, Zeb having made an appearance this season with Teva in the previous episode at the base bar, and Teva taking it upon himself to investigate the disappearance of Gideon I think there's a small chance that we may see Ahsoka, Hera (unlikely), or even (though more unlikely) Sabine show up. This assumes they kept in contact with each other to some degree but since the New Republic doesn't seem interested in looking into things Teva asking Zeb for help and then reaching out to the crew of the Ghost/Spectres is a pretty small chance. Another person we could see is Fen Rau (if he's still alive) or other surviving Mandalorian Protectors if they managed to survive The Night of a Thousand Tears/Purge of Mandalore.

Ahsoka has history with Mandalore going back to TCW with Satine, Korkie, Kenobi, Maul, and Bo-Katan. Not to mention the Siege of Mandalore just before Order 66. Sabine also defeated Gar Saxon in combat claiming the Darksaber.

To resolve it by having a third party show up might be lame... though they did that with Luke.

The Mando show is completely governed by the "wow" moment and nostalgia, which isn't a bad thing, but it does make an ending where Han and Leia just show up and chase away Gideon a possibility.
I would prefer if whoever shows up doesn't outright resolve it but just provide support the group we have, mainly for the fleet above the planet. My thought is that this season is going to close out with a showdown between Bo-Katan and Gideon which would give her the chance to make amends for her past choice of turning over the Darksaber to him before The Night of a Thousand Tears. If she's going to lead Mandalore, she's going to have to beat him in single combat/a duel IMO to solidify the legitimacy.

I don't disagree that it's somewhat apparent that people's opinion or marketing choices has influenced choices on the show but that wasn't the reasoning I had. I was looking at this from how they might interconnect the two shows/stories since Filoni has been known to do these things before like with Kanan Jarrus/Caleb Dume (directly and vividly explaining his mistrust of clones), Bo-Katan, Ahsoka, and Fennec Shand to name a few. That being said, I personally think that Han and Leia or even Luke showing up are pretty unlikely. I don't particularly see their attachment/involvement to this story at the moment.
maroon barchetta
Boba, Fenec, and Mayfeld show up with the Rohirim at first light on the fifth day!
The Porkchop Express
AG
bobinator said:

Kids on spring break?
Uh, Star Wars isn't for kids. It's a serious matter that has to live up to certain standards or face the wrath of its "fans".
redline248
AG

bobinator said:

Kids on spring break?
Uh, Star Wars isn't for kids. It's a serious matter that has to live up to certain standards or face the wrath of its "fans".
This is the Way
jabberwalkie09
AG
maroon barchetta said:

Boba, Fenec, and Mayfeld show up with the Rohirim at first light on the fifth day!
I mean, I wouldn't be mad if Mayfeld shows up. I thought Burr was great in the role and he has every reason to hate the Empire as the Mandalorians do given he lived through Operation Cinder.
maroon barchetta
jabberwalkie09 said:

maroon barchetta said:

I mean, I wouldn't be mad if Mayfeld shows up. I thought Burr was great in the role and he has every reason to hate the Empire as the Mandalorians do given he lived through Operation Cinder.

I'll ask him tonight.
The Porkchop Express
AG
The Mandos have the big cruise and maybe 6 of the ships like Bo's? It seems like it would take dozens upon dozens of TIEs to take them out. The bombers aren't built for dogfighting.
jabberwalkie09
AG

The Mandos have the big cruise and maybe 6 of the ships like Bo's? It seems like it would take dozens upon dozens of TIEs to take them out. The bombers aren't built for dogfighting.
I think I remember seeing quite a few TIE Interceptors. Maybe they used the bombers to make a run at the light cruiser? Then the Interceptors keep the other ships occupied?
bobinator
AG
You're forgetting that we don't really know any of the characters left on the ships, thus the Interceptors will be absolutely lethal and efficient in their attack, except on the ship the armorer is in.

If our main characters were in that cruiser they'd need a Death Star's worth of TIE's to take it out, but they aren't. One or two laser blasts should do the trick.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Nah, haven't forgotten that plot armor is a thing. I didn't say that the run at the light cruiser would be successful in destroying it.
Red Five
AG

Hungry Ojos said:

C@LAg said:

jokershady said:

When low-quality photos or videos are posted online, people often say that they were shot with a "potato camera.

What's so special about this guy? So this guy is the big season long reveal that's supposed to put a bulge in our underoos? He looks like an Ace Hardware employee.

Thrawn is like the Moriarty of Star Wars. Sherlock Holmes Big Bad. Smarter than everyone and always 5 steps ahead. No special powers other than his brain.
I would be over the moon if he had a similar defense system in place - won't spoil for non-book readers - since he appears to have 2 Dark Jedi / Sith working for him in the Ahsoka series.
If they do this, and in any way explain where/how he got it, I will fly to Lucasfilm HQ and personally apologize to Kathleen Kennedy for ever saying any of the many, many terrible things I have said about her.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Red Five said:

Hungry Ojos said:

C@LAg said:

jokershady said:

I would be over the moon if he had a similar defense system in place - won't spoil for non-book readers - since he appears to have 2 Dark Jedi / Sith working for him in the Ahsoka series.
If they do this, and in any way explain where/how he got it, I will fly to Lucasfilm HQ and personally apologize to Kathleen Kennedy for ever saying any of the many, many terrible things I have said about her.
After the season finale, I'm going to re-read the Zahn books - would you be interested in a separate thread talking about them as to not reveal potential spoilers in the Star Wars or Ahsoka threads?
MROD92
Yes. This is the way!
maca1028
CondensedFogAggie said:

I so wanted to see Grogu hug the **** out of the little furry robotics guy. Oh well.

Go back and watch that scene again, little fury robotics guy says something else as he's running away from Grogu.
Madmarttigan
AG
You son of a *****, I'm back in

Awesome, but should have waited another week to watch this one now I gotta wait.
txagman1998
AG
I really like the work Screen Crush does to explain what is happening in the Star Wars universe. While the video below does contain quite a bit of speculation, I still think it does a good job of tying together several plot threads from various Star Wars media.

AustinScubaAg
AG

Red Five said:

Hungry Ojos said:

C@LAg said:

jokershady said:

After the season finale, I'm going to re-read the Zahn books - would you be interested in a separate thread talking about them as to not reveal potential spoilers in the Star Wars or Ahsoka threads?

It so sad that the Zahn books are so much better than any of the movies or tv series.

There was so much good source material even after the prequal movies changed his back story of the clone wars that would have made great cinema.
The Porkchop Express
AG
AustinScubaAg said:

Red Five said:

Hungry Ojos said:

C@LAg said:

jokershady said:

It so sad that the Zahn books are so much better than any of the movies or tv series.

There was so much good source material even after the prequal movies changed his back story of the clone wars that would have made great cinema.
Books are always better than movies.
PatAg
AG
I imagine what will be tricky is I believe Filoni has already used parts of Zahns books. So some of the plot points may not be usable anymore.
I still think they should have just made his series into the sequel trilogy, and bit the bullet and recast all the main characters. People would have gotten over it very quickly when they realized how good the story is.
The Porkchop Express
AG
So my wife, daughter and I did a Mandalorian Marathon yesterday of Episodes 3-7 to get them caught up for the season finale.

I'm really curious now what Gideon really has up his sleeve. The Imperial Super Commandos are clearly not the big reveal. When Dr. Pershing is giving his speech at the Opera House on Coruscant in Episode 3 he refers to his unfinished research as "taking the best of two different DNA strands and splicing them together." Gideon then refers to just about the same thing in Episode 7, saying he's taken the best from the Jedi, the Cloners, and the Mandalorians.

Are we getting cloned Force Users wearing Mandalorian armor? Hopefully it's not a legion of evil Grogus but clearly he's got something up his sleeve. I think I mentioned this during Season 2 before we got the Dark Troopers, but the story line reminds me somewhat of the video game Jedi Outcast and its successor Jedi Acadmey where the bad guys are "Reborn" - warriors that get "infused with the Force". Not sure how that's going to look, but i'm here for it.

Also, SPOILER

It sounds like the Fett is in the finale

Ornithopter
AG
We probably get a fight against a beskar armored dark trooper.
jeffk
AG
Army of evil Grogu clones
redline248
AG
jeffk said:

Army of evil Grogu clones
It'll be a gremlins ripoff
TXAG 05
AG

AustinScubaAg said:

Red Five said:

Hungry Ojos said:

C@LAg said:

jokershady said:

Books are always better than movies.

Shawshank Redemption is the exception to the rule.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Final Episode Teaser

WOW - Did not think Lizzo would look that hype in the Mando Armor!

redline248
AG
Oh snap
tk for tu juan

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.