***** THE MANDALORIAN SEASON 3 Official Thread *****

130,930 Views | 1857 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by jokershady
ABATTBQ11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The TIEs are probably Gideon. I bet he's revealed in the last episode or two as the covert goes back to Mandalore or something.
Beat40
AliasMan02 said:

The overall thing going on here is figuring out again what it means to be a Mandalorian. The rebirth of that civilization. The Children of the Watch and Bo have very different ideas. Bo's last two attempts at ruling Mandalore and ushering in a new age have failed, once due to the Night of 1000 Tears, and then because she failed to win the Darksaber from Gideon.

Now she sees the covert. Way more Mandalorians than she probably thought were there. If she can harness this, she might have a people to rule. And she now knows Mandalore is liveable. My only question is if she's sincere or just sees an opportunity.

We also have seen from a few instances that somebody from the Empire is still out there in the shadows.

1. The fleet of TIEs that destroyed Castle Kryze
2. The retribution taken against NR converts by Elia Kane
3. The rumor that Gideon escaped the NR

I suspect that's who Bo and company will find opposes their reestablishment of their society.
You're saying a lot of what I am thinking.

Additionally, Bo, Grogu and Din have seemed to form some sort of relationship where she has helped him and he has helped her. I think Grogu trusts her. With her home being blown up, to me it's not really a surprise that she would stick with those two at first - it's totally believable to me Bo would live with the covert for a while after she sees maybe they aren't as bad as Death Watch was. Add in the mythosaur she saw, and the covert, which is hidden, is a really good place to think things through and what she really wants.

The one thing I've been thinking is we've also not been given a reason to see which way of thinking is actually proper - The Creed or Bo's way. We assume Bo Katan's way because of her exposition of Death Watch and, honestly, seeing faces makes us trust that faction more.

I'm thinking whatever is going on with the TIEs and whomever is in opposition to Mandalore being reestablished will be proving point of if Bo Katan, Din, and the Covert are really aligned.

I believe episode 4 was really Bo's episode to show she will tame the mythosaur and can lead Mandalorians. The question for me is what gets her there, which I think is whatever is behind those TIEs.

I'm not sold Bo Katan and the Covert are completely aligned.
Hungry Ojos
Wow. Just wow. Can't believe you guys don't see where this is going.

At some point, the Armorer is going to remove her helmet to reveal that she is Princess Leia Organa. Who will then reveal to Bo Katan that while Han was in Cryo, she had a brief affair with Boba Fett and that Bo is actually…her daughter. Not only that, Bo and Din will be revealed to be brother and sister as they were separated twins, just like Luke and Leia. And now that Jedi and Mandalorian have been inter-bred together through the Leia-Boba affair, a new generation of Mando-Jedi will rule the galaxy in peace.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
So Bo gets sent back in time as a baby?

Hungry Ojos
Exactly.
WES2006AG
AG
Hungry Ojos said:

Not only that, Bo and Din will be revealed to be brother and sister as they were separated twins, just like Luke and Leia.
But do they kiss?
bobinator
AG
Now we're talking.
redline248
AG
WES2006AG said:

Hungry Ojos said:

Not only that, Bo and Din will be revealed to be brother and sister as they were separated twins, just like Luke and Leia.
But do they kiss?
Not if Din isn't over his first love.

You know, random nameless single mom on a random planet
The Porkchop Express
AG

Ahmed Best on His Surprise Return as Kelleran Beq in The Mandalorian
https://www.starwars.com/news/ahmed-best-the-mandalorian-interview

After months of conversation, reflection, and planning, Ahmed Best was ready to take his first steps back into the larger world of Star Wars. At the invitation of Jon Favreau, Dave Filoni, and Rick Famuyiwa, executive producers of The Mandalorian, he would be playing Kelleran Beq, the Jedi who saves Grogu during the Order 66 attack on the Jedi Temple. But it wasn't until one specific moment that it all became real.

"As soon as I put the robes on for my first costume test, and I walked on to get approval from Jon and Dave, and they handed me a lightsaber, I was like, 'Oh, I'm in this,'" Best tells StarWars.com. "And boom, Kelleran Beq came alive."
The identity of who rescued Grogu during the Jedi purge had long been teased on the Disney+ series. Hazy flashbacks and discussion have been peppered throughout the show, and finally, the truth was revealed in this week's "Chapter 20: The Foundling": Best's Jedi defends Grogu from a clone trooper onslaught, ferries him away in a speeder chase, and finally, escapes to the stars with the young being. It's a thrilling sequence, and for Star Wars fans who know of Best's complex history with the saga, there's an added emotional resonance to seeing him return in such a meaningful way.

Best played Jar Jar Binks in the Star Wars prequels and in Star Wars: The Clone Wars, and has been open about the pain he's felt from the harsh reception to the character over the years. So when Favreau and Filoni asked Best to join The Mandalorian, it took some consideration before the actor agreed. "Honestly, I had to think about it. I've been in the Star Wars world for such a long time and my story is such a rollercoaster ride of emotions. So coming back to Star Wars wasn't an easy decision for me. It wasn't something I could have immediately said yes to. I did have to marinate over it for a bit," he says. "I mean, I was excited. I don't think people really understand how much I care about Star Wars. Like, I really care. I really, really care about the storytelling, about the mythology, about the fans. I really want Star Wars to deliver, and if I become an obstacle to that, then I shouldn't be in it. I don't want to be bigger than the story. I don't want to be bigger than the mythology. I want to contribute, I want to add to it. So it took me a minute." Ultimately, it was the support from the show's creators that convinced him.

"I was still nervous," he says, "but it was really Jon Favreau and Dave Filoni, and being with them, that made me want to come back."

While this is Kelleran Beq's debut on The Mandalorian, it's actually not the character's first appearance. Kelleran was originally introduced on 2020's Star Wars: Jedi Temple Challenge, a game show created by the StarWars.com team for StarWarsKids.com and YouTube. (Best took Kelleran's last name from his Star Wars: Attack of the Clones cameo-character, pilot Achk Med-Beq, who pops up in a Coruscant nightclub.) In the digital series, Best is both host and teacher to the competing Padawan teams. Best loved the show and developing Kelleran for it. "I went in deep with Kelleran Beq," he says. "It's really special to me. Kelleran Beq was a character in name that I created, I came up with, was really encouraged by the Jedi Temple Challenge team and the StarWars.com team. Everyone just was so graceful in embracing my crazy ideas and bringing it forward, and to see that then migrate over to The Mandalorian is really super special."

Just like on Jedi Temple Challenge, Best was a creative partner in realizing Kelleran for The Mandalorian. He collaborated closely with costume designer Shawna Trpcic on the look of Beq's robes and tunic, incorporating elements of his own tribal tattoos, as well as Afrofuturism symbols (Best teaches a course at Stanford), into his outfit's gold detailing. In addition to the look of the character, Best developed his own view of the Force for Kelleran, and how he experiences the Force. "To me, the Force is not just this thing that Jedi tap into when they want to throw something heavy. The Force is this thing that is constantly moving. You're always interacting with it. I see it as like, if you're under water and you're moving through water, that's what it feels like moving with the Force," he says. "So trusting the Force means trusting that these ebbs and flows of this feeling, you can move with." Best made use of this idea while shooting Kelleran's scenes.

"In every single situation of this, I'm really trying to tune into this bigger feeling of the Force. When I'm getting attacked by clone troopers, I feel them coming. The waves of the Force are moving me before they even show up. So I know what's about to happen because I feel the wave, and then I can react to the wave. Same thing on the speeder. I can feel the ship coming, so then I can react to it," he says. "I see him really having a lot of trust in this ability to surf the Force."

And building on the backstory he created for Kelleran in Jedi Temple Challenge, Best views his Jedi as a celebration of teaching. In other words, Kelleran truly believes, as another famous Jedi once said, in passing on what he has learned. "I see Kelleran as this journeyman Jedi who becomes a professor, who wants to be a teacher. Not a reluctant teacher, not someone who's thrown into teaching. Who wants to influence, who wants to show Padawans how to become a greater version of themselves."

Still, he's a teacher who can do amazing things. And much of what we see Kelleran do onscreen was done by Best, who has studied martial arts for over 40 years. He developed his own fighting technique for Kelleran, taking inspiration from Bruce Lee and "the style of the unknown," allowing Beq to "fall into all of these situations and adapt." But there was one element he really enjoyed. "The lightsaber of it all was really exciting for me," he says. "I've always, always, always wanted to do a lightsaber fight. And even in this one, it's just like, one tenth of one percent of what I can do. But I was like, 'Let me get it out there!'" Best also rides motorcycles, bringing another point of connection with the character and scene. "Martial arts and motorcycles, I'm like, 'I know this. This is who I am.'"

At the time of Best's interview with StarWars.com, it's about a week before Chapter 20 arrives on Disney+. He doesn't seem nervous, but he also doesn't hide his hopes for the episode and this character. "I really care about how Kelleran Beq will be received. I know this might not be cool to say, but I want everyone who watches Star Wars to look at Kelleran Beq and go, 'I believe that guy. I want to follow that guy. Where does he go? What happens next?' I think all the best stories are stories that leave you wondering what happens next," he says. "I think that's why Star Wars has survived as long as it has, because all of these characters are characters who have lives." Indeed, Grogu's recognition of this traumatic event marks a turning point in his journey as a Force-sensitive Mandalorian, while it also establishes Kelleran as his original protector, devoted to his student and his survival.

With Kelleran's pivotal role in The Mandalorian, Best's own Star Wars story has taken on a surprising second act. While the past may have left its scars, Best remains proud of his contributions to the galaxy far, far away, and is excited for his future in it.

"Being a part of Star Wars has been a dream come true since 1997 when I first was cast by George [Lucas]. Jar Jar changed movies, and I don't think Jar Jar gets a lot credit for changing movies. But Jar Jar was the first CGI main character in movie history. There had been other CGI characters, but the evolution of the fact that you can star as a CGI character, and an actor in performance capture, was really George, was really Jar Jar and ILM and all of us, and it was a significant change in movies. To be a part of that is enormous for me. Especially me coming from the South Bronx this corny, artsy, nerdy, skinny kid, where Star Wars was the first movie I had ever seen in my life," he says. "Now, coming back, being in The Mandalorian, part of me doesn't want to let it go. In The Phantom Menace days, you had to let it go. It was just George doing it. Now, you can do it for a while. You can tell stories in Star Wars and have them be in multiple mediums. As a writer, as a director now, as a teacher now, there is so much more that I want to do that this universe is perfect for, that I don't want this to be the end of legacy. I don't want this to be the end of the story. I want this to be the beginning, and a new beginning. Especially through Kelleran Beq."

Feels so good, feelin' good again.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Whenever I think of Ahmed Best, I think of that part in the TPM making of documentary when he's roasting in the desert sun, trying to stay cool.

Lucas: "How you doing?"
Ahmed: "I'm cool. I'm hot, but I'm cool."
Lucas: "I wish I could say the same."
LB12Diamond
AG
bobinator said:

Grogu's presence alone creates some real challenges for the story, that's one reason why I was sort of hoping he was going to be gone training with Luke or whatever. He was a baby when it started, he'll still be a baby when it ends.

I'm curious if it was always planned this way.

Most likely

But maybe the reaction for GroGu made them change their plans.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Let's focus our attention on something valuable after all the thread tension. A casting call for if/when Grogu actually starts talking. Worst idea wins, please don't make it political.

My initial ideas:

1) Harvey Firestein
2) Danny Trejo
WES2006AG
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

Let's focus our attention on something valuable after all the thread tension. A casting call for if/when Grogu actually starts talking. Worst idea wins, please don't make it political.

My initial ideas:

1) Harvey Firestein
2) Danny Trejo
Gilbert Gottfried impersonating kermit should do it.
The Porkchop Express
AG
WES2006AG said:

My initial ideas:

1) Harvey Firestein
2) Danny Trejo
Well he's dead, so we'll have to stay focused on the present
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Bruce Willis has experience playing babies.
An L of an Ag
AG

My initial ideas:

1) Harvey Firestein
2) Danny Trejo

Bobcat Goldthwaite
heddleston
AG
Ray Romano
WES2006AG
AG

WES2006AG said:

My initial ideas:

1) Harvey Firestein
2) Danny Trejo
Well he's dead, so we'll have to stay focused on the present
I was unaware, Pour one out.
cbr
AG
Yeah, the whole grogu thing is totally off the rails.

Ok, give him to the Jedi. I get that.

But, Luke is an ass to the non verbal infant and then gets mad and says 'here, nonverbal force wielding superbaby, either take this lightsaber and hang out with me or **** off, your choice'

So he ****s off, happy to be back with his savior buddy

Only now he is a little green nonverbal puppet and supposed to live with a whole tribe of jarheads doing weird **** and be happy about it?

The Porkchop Express
AG
Good to know you regained control of your account from the hacker, CBR
LPHA
AG
Sylvester Stallone
Howard Stern
Nic Cage
Saxsoon
AG

My initial ideas:

1) Harvey Firestein
2) Danny Trejo

Ron Funches
Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2012
Beat40
heddleston said:

Ray Romano

But he has to consistently complain and whine.
oragator
Yeah.
They need to find something substantive for Grogu. Him being a mandalorian doesn't feel like it, just feels like they know he needs to progress in maturity but they can't think of anything else right now. That scene with the darts just felt weird. Like he was forcing him into a path he doesn't belong.
Genuinely happy for Best. I despised Jar Jar, but that was not his fault, he was doing what Lucas asked.

Haven't been that impressed with the last few episodes, hope it picks back up.
Rex Racer
AG
I just want to see how Grogu's ears are going to fit in a helmet.
redline248
AG
Rex Racer said:

I just want to see how Grogu's ears are going to fit in a helmet.
I imagine the same way dudes with lot of hair fit in a football helmet

redline248
AG
and before I forget, just go ahead and let Shaq voice Grogu
Rex Racer
AG
Hair can be pressed down without pain, those ears, though?
Ornithopter
AG
H. Jon Benjamin would be hilarious.
cbr
AG

Good to know you regained control of your account from the hacker, CBR
hey! LOL.

i flat out said i enjoyed the season so far. I do.

but it really has sort of evolved into just mindless visual and audio stimulation and enjoyment at this point... not really worthy of looking for a whole lot of plot, or meaning behind anything.

TCTTS
AG
Quad Dog said:

I agree with you somewhat. How would you suggest the show communicate some of this change and conflict? For better or for worse, and I think by design, there isn't a lot of dialog in this show. There is even less body language. There is no narration, no diary keeping, no close relationships to communicate the wants and needs.

How would you suggest the show communicate the kinds of things that you want? It really isn't built, by design I think, to communicate the inner thoughts of characters.

Who can Bo tell her ultimate plan to? Who can Din tell that he is conflicted and confused to, Grogu? Hopefully they'll pull it off in the end and in hindsight we'll understand the character's actions and motivations of earlier episodes.

Actions speak louder than words. Give the characters choices, then have them choose the route that speaks to their current desires. Have Mando keep choosing "the way" until he doesn't, and so on and so on. Which is basically what they had been doing for two seasons, where it seemed like Mando was slowly but surely moving on and away from the cult. It's the BOBF episodes and this season where they've suddenly reversed course, and now Mando is essentially back where he started in terms of his character "arc." Sure, he's learned to become a "dad," I guess, but that's about it.
TCTTS
AG
double aught said:

I think the lesson here is that if you go to screenwriting school, it will ruin movies and tv for you.

Ha, you're not completely wrong. That said, when done right - like in Andor - it's pure ecstasy. That, and every good movie or show you've ever seen was written by writers who understood these basic "rules."
TCTTS
bobinator
AG
He's not only like effectively back where he started, which happens sometimes in TV shows, he literally went through a religious process to get back to where he started.
cbr
AG

what's even funnier is you and i seem to agree on this one, lol.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.