***** THE MANDALORIAN SEASON 3 Official Thread *****

130,917 Views | 1857 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by jokershady
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ryan also seems to think it's Jar Jar's ship, which would be such a nice touch...

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Grogu is going to ride on of those trex dragons.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
hurleyag said:

Bo on the mythosuar
Boba on his rancor
Din, grogu, vizsla on the dragonbirds

Ahsoka on Luke
The Porkchop Express
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

hurleyag said:

Bo on the mythosuar
Boba on his rancor

Ahsoka on Luke
That will be the episode that puts TC into the looney bin.

Feels so good, feelin' good again.
Lathspell
AG
I was watching some videos with people talking about a couple of these episodes, and I just don't get where this idea that there is some form of antagonistic relationship between Bo and the Armorer comes from. So many keep saying that, and NOTHING that we have seen even remotely gives off that vibe.

The armorer knew who Bo was, and told Mando during Season 2, in a very matter of fact way (as she says most things). She then immediately accepts her as part of the covert, provides words of praise for Bo's actions, immediately sees a need for another piece of armor and offers it to her. Bo obviously feels some form of camaraderie, respect, or trust with the Armorer from these interactions to bring up seeing the Mythosaur. I don't think the Armorer was being dismissive, but merely responding and eventually just saying, "This is the Way."

The Armorer doesn't seem to have any motive in anything, other than living the Creed. I see her more as a mandalorian monk than anything else. Unless Bo attempts to corrupt the others or somehow tries to tear apart the Creed from within the Covert, I don't see why the Armorer would be an enemy. And from what we've seen, I believe that is last thing we would see happen. As I've mentioned already, I believe Bo is beginning to respect The Children of the Watch.
TCTTS
AG
Ha, I would honestly have zero problems with this. I encourage it, actually. Because we all know where his life is headed - living in celibacy, with literal nuns, on a secluded island, sucking on nothing but green-milk-spewing dino-tits - so he better get some now, while the gettin' is good. That, and it'd actually be daring and interesting, something this franchise has mostly been adverse to as of late (save for Andor/Rogue One).
LB12Diamond
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

hurleyag said:

Bo on the mythosuar
Boba on his rancor

Ahsoka on Luke

Ahh
Rey's mom
The Porkchop Express
AG
How did they miss this opportunity in Season 1?

The Porkchop Express
AG
TCTTS said:

Ha, I would honestly have zero problems with this. I encourage it, actually. Because we all know where his life is headed - living in celibacy, with literal nuns, on a secluded island, sucking on nothing but green-milk-spewing dino-tits - so he better get some now, while the gettin' is good. That, and it'd actually be daring and interesting, something this franchise has mostly been adverse to as of late (save for Andor/Rogue One).
I think that version of The Last Jedi you watched at Harvey Weinstein's house wasn't the real thing, buddy.
TCTTS
AG
We all know how Luke likes to roll when Rey's not around.
bobinator
AG
Hey Rey was the first person in the Star Wars universe to use the force to drop in on someone half naked
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Chewie is always naked.
bobinator
AG
That's why nobody is forcetiming Chewy, it's all out there all the time
redline248
AG
DallasTeleAg said:

I was watching some videos with people talking about a couple of these episodes, and I just don't get where this idea that there is some form of antagonistic relationship between Bo and the Armorer comes from. So many keep saying that, and NOTHING that we have seen even remotely gives off that vibe.

The armorer knew who Bo was, and told Mando during Season 2, in a very matter of fact way (as she says most things). She then immediately accepts her as part of the covert, provides words of praise for Bo's actions, immediately sees a need for another piece of armor and offers it to her. Bo obviously feels some form of camaraderie, respect, or trust with the Armorer from these interactions to bring up seeing the Mythosaur. I don't think the Armorer was being dismissive, but merely responding and eventually just saying, "This is the Way."

The Armorer doesn't seem to have any motive in anything, other than living the Creed. I see her more as a mandalorian monk than anything else. Unless Bo attempts to corrupt the others or somehow tries to tear apart the Creed from within the Covert, I don't see why the Armorer would be an enemy. And from what we've seen, I believe that is last thing we would see happen. As I've mentioned already, I believe Bo is beginning to respect The Children of the Watch.
The armorer knows Bo-katan, but it's possible (likely?) that Bo-katan doesn't realize she knows the armorer.

That is to say the armorer's identity is currently unknown, but under the helmet is likely someone that Bo-katan knows from the pre-empire era. Death Watch, of which Bo-katan was once a member, didn't always keep the helmets on around others like this current group.

Now, as you say, there is nothing shown in this series that I recall which gives much, if any indication of a past acquaintance. The theories pop up because the armorer is so mysterious, knows so much of the history, and her helmet is very reminiscent of Darth Maul, who ran Death Watch literally hours before the rise of the empire.

Edit to add: The armorer probably also knows that if Bo-katan joins her sect it would only help solidify the Creed for the future of all mandalorians.
BowSowy
AG
TCTTS said:

I think my frustration is best summed up saying that one week the show feels like it's the story of a man (Mando) who is ultimately supposed to find his own "way"; that his upbringing and his ilk are too extreme/set in their ways, and that he, along with Grogu, are ultimately meant to forge their own path (represented by a Mandalorian and a Jedi finally coming together in a new synthesis of sorts). But then the very next week the show seems to be saying, actually, no, Mando's group is right and just and that cult-like extremism is, in fact, the best way to survive in the galaxy. For two-and-a-half seasons now the show has gone back and forth on these two ideas, though not in a way that feels intentional or is supposed to make you think. Put simply, I can't tell what it's trying to say, what it's trying to be, what its perspective is, etc, and episodes like this week's really underline that aimlessness and lack of focus/intentionality for me.
I just don't get this complaint.

Previously we have seen Din adhere to the creed without question. Then questioned his world view when he came into contact with Bo's crew and ultimately betray his creed by showing his face. And then dealt with that by reaffirming his world view and repenting.

We have also seen Bo adhere to her creed - that is, the Armorer's ilk are extremists. Then questioned her world view after seeing the Mythosaur. TBD on whether she reaffirms her world view or adopts the creed. My guess is her story is going towards a place where her adopting the old way is key to her becoming the leader, wielding the dark saber, and reuniting the nomad Mandalorians.

I think it's telling an interesting story where two important characters are struggling/have struggled with opposite world views.

And this episode also made me think that maybe the Armorer sees Grogu's abilities and there may be a way to forge together the old Mandalorian ways with a jedi/someone who clearly wields the force. I say that because she addressed Grogu more than any other time (maybe the first time ever?) and then there was that whole scene with the forge and his backstory.

There is also clearly a conflict brewing from last episode. A bunch of TIE fighters/bombers/whatever show up randomly, and then we cut to a story where one of Moff Gideon's captains pulls shady business in the new republic with references questioning Moff's whereabouts.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Big fat hairy casting spoiler alert.

Genevieve O'Reilly's Mon Mothma is in Mando season 3, Ahsoka, and Andor Season 2 per multiple Internet sites.
C@LAg
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Chewie is always naked.
his bandolier was considered a utilitarian form of clothing.

AliasMan02
AG
The cameo by Best, really doing right by him, highlights one of the best things about Star Wars, which is the real fan community and the long-term sort of generational nature of it. That was so awesome.

This is a guy whose life was RUINED by Star Wars. He was suicidal over the hate the guy got. But along comes Disney who buys Lucasfilm and kinda reboots Celebration. They get Ahmed to appear in 2019 and he's sooooo well received because a huge core of the fandom grew up with the prequels. Then they bring him into the fold for Jedi Temple. Now this big triumphant moment. I just love it for the guy.

It wouldn't have worked in a show like Andor, but in Mando which is so fueled by nostalgia over all else? Why not?
The Porkchop Express
AG
AliasMan02 said:

The cameo by Best, really doing right by him, highlights one of the best things about Star Wars, which is the real fan community and the long-term sort of generational nature of it. That was so awesome.

This is a guy whose life was RUINED by Star Wars. He was suicidal over the hate the guy got. But along comes Disney who buys Lucasfilm and kinda reboots Celebration. They get Ahmed to appear in 2019 and he's sooooo well received because a huge core of the fandom grew up with the prequels. Then they bring him into the fold for Jedi Temple. Now this big triumphant moment. I just love it for the guy.

It wouldn't have worked in a show like Andor, but in Mando which is so fueled by nostalgia over all else? Why not?
I posted something similar the night of the episode, but it is the very best thing that Star Wars is doing right now and has been doing the past 10 years. Using their powers to fight hate and prejudice and embrace the power of Star Wars as a emotional tie that binds people together and gives them something to cheer for in an often not-fair and painful world.

As some of you know about me from before The Dark Times, my brother reached out to Disney/Lucasfilm after my accident and I ended up getting to do an hour-long Skype call with an ILM employee who had suffered a similar accident. He showed me a sneak peek of Snoke's flagship from the Last Jedi and I've talked to him a few more times over the year just because the guy was nice enough to continue checking up on me.

A few years back, there was a story on Facebook about a little girl going to Galaxy's Edge for her Make a Wish gift. When she went into the lightsaber making part, they asked her who her favorite Jedi was? Rey? Yoda? And she says, "Anakin Skywalker". Then she gets tapped on the shoulder, and there's Hayden Christensen there to build a lightsaber with her. HC underwent the same type backlash as Ahmed Best, and then they brough him back to voice act in TROS and steal the show in Obi-Wan.

https://instagr.am/p/B4P5O6XowX6
AliasMan02
AG
I thought of Hayden as well. And the huge platform they've given guys like Warwick Davis, the opportunity they gave Peter Mayhew to play Chewie one last time, putting R2-KT in the movies... there's a lot of love at the core of this thing that shines brightly when given the opportunity.
TCTTS
AG
BowSowy said:

TCTTS said:

I think my frustration is best summed up saying that one week the show feels like it's the story of a man (Mando) who is ultimately supposed to find his own "way"; that his upbringing and his ilk are too extreme/set in their ways, and that he, along with Grogu, are ultimately meant to forge their own path (represented by a Mandalorian and a Jedi finally coming together in a new synthesis of sorts). But then the very next week the show seems to be saying, actually, no, Mando's group is right and just and that cult-like extremism is, in fact, the best way to survive in the galaxy. For two-and-a-half seasons now the show has gone back and forth on these two ideas, though not in a way that feels intentional or is supposed to make you think. Put simply, I can't tell what it's trying to say, what it's trying to be, what its perspective is, etc, and episodes like this week's really underline that aimlessness and lack of focus/intentionality for me.
I just don't get this complaint.

Previously we have seen Din adhere to the creed without question. Then questioned his world view when he came into contact with Bo's crew and ultimately betray his creed by showing his face. And then dealt with that by reaffirming his world view and repenting.

We have also seen Bo adhere to her creed - that is, the Armorer's ilk are extremists. Then questioned her world view after seeing the Mythosaur. TBD on whether she reaffirms her world view or adopts the creed. My guess is her story is going towards a place where her adopting the old way is key to her becoming the leader, wielding the dark saber, and reuniting the nomad Mandalorians.

I think it's telling an interesting story where two important characters are struggling/have struggled with opposite world views.

And this episode also made me think that maybe the Armorer sees Grogu's abilities and there may be a way to forge together the old Mandalorian ways with a jedi/someone who clearly wields the force. I say that because she addressed Grogu more than any other time (maybe the first time ever?) and then there was that whole scene with the forge and his backstory.

There is also clearly a conflict brewing from last episode. A bunch of TIE fighters/bombers/whatever show up randomly, and then we cut to a story where one of Moff Gideon's captains pulls shady business in the new republic with references questioning Moff's whereabouts.

You and I are on the exact same page as to what Mando and Bo have each gone through, what their arcs have been so far, etc, and I feel like I've stated as much. Again, though, I'm not talking about the facts of their respect arcs. I'm asking what the SHOW has to SAY about their arcs. I'm asking what the THEME is.

At the risk of getting way too screenwritery, let me put it this way…

The entire point of most shows/movies is to see a character change. And change hinges on the argument the WRITER is making, which is called the THESIS. It's *why* the writer is telling the story; to show their protagonist, their protagonist's world, and the audience that the writer's thesis is the *right* way. The writer has a lesson to teach them, and without the writer's argument/thesis, there can be no change in the story.

THESIS = A statement. Something that is true.

ANTITHESIS = Something that is not true.

SYNTHESIS = Thesis and antithesis collide in the climax and a new theory is born.

In other words, it's the writer who's firing the thesis at the antithesis in order to make something new (the synthesis), in order to change the protagonist. And THEME is the glue that holds all of that together. It's the writer's central dramatic argument. For example…

Freedom is worth fighting for. Even if it means dying to achieve it.

If you love something, you have to learn to let it go.

.. etc, etc.

At the outset of most good stories, the protagonist believes the antithesis. This is also known as The Lie the Character Believes. The protagonist's life may be horrible, or it may seem pretty great, but festering under the surface is the lie, rooted in his or her belief in the antithesis. In order for the protagonist to evolve, he or she has to start with something lacking in his or her life; some reason that makes the change necessary. The protagonist is incomplete in some way, and he or she is harboring some deeply held misconception about either him or herself, the world, or probably both. Either way, the protagonist HAS to change. Otherwise, stasis = death. And without the "divine" nudge of the writer, the protagonist's life would otherwise lead to a dead end. So along comes the writer, and suddenly an event occurs that radically upsets this balance, and off we go, ultimately resulting in the synthesis.

Again, this is all screenwriting 101 stuff that nearly every good movie or show adheres to, whether you know it or not. And it's almost always obvious what the thesis is, with the antithesis is, and what the theme is that holds the two together, in contrast to each other. But in the case of The Mandalorian, I can't tell what the SHOW - aka the writers, Favreau and Filoni - are trying to "teach" Mando. I can't tell what their thesis is, what the antithesis is, and thus where any of this is heading thematically, which is ultimately what propels the nuts-and-bolts plot. Is the world Mando started in (aka his cult of extremists) "good" or "bad"? Is the world Bo started in (aka her "secular" view) "good" or "bad"? What is Mando's path to synthesis? What is Bo's path to synthesis? Without those signposts and tenants, the whole thing just feels so aimless to me.

One would think that the world Mando came from would be the antithesis. His world *is* an extremist cult, after all. So, naturally, one would think that his character arc would ultimately involve him leaving the cult and finding synthesis with Grogu (the best parts of the Mandalorian culture melding with the best parts of the Jedi culture to form something new, which would be a perfect example of synthesis). And we were on that path there for a bit. Yet, three seasons in, the show now seems to be doing the opposite of that. Mando is somehow back in the antithesis, and not only that, he seems to be pulling Bo in with him. Now, if this had been Bo's story from the start, and Mando was the agent of change for her, giving her much-needed religion, so to speak, that would make sense. Bo would be going from the antithesis (faith in nothing) to the thesis (faith/belonging in a religious clan). Conversely, if Bo had been the one to pull Mando from his antithesis (cult extremism) into the thesis (a more moderate, level-headed approach to life), that would make sense as well. But instead, we're now stuck in this weird world between those two worlds, exasperated by the fact that neither character is currently stating what they want, and that there are no *apparent* villains making themselves known.

Granted, I'm hoping Mando, Grogu and Bo all either leave the cult - or - change the cult, because then, thematically and structurally, we'd be back on the path from antithesis to thesis to synthesis. To that end, maybe this is all just some weird detour along the way - like an alluring, false return to the antithesis before breaking away from the cult again. And if so, great. But as of now, all I'm saying is it's muddy as hell at best, and Favreau and Filoni are giving us no indication either way, which is not an ideal place to be three seasons into your story.
TCTTS
AG
Clearly you didn't get the memo that Disney is just a bunch of "degenerates."

Seriously, though, this is an area in which the new Disney guard at Lucasfilm has excelled. These are all such great stories, and I'm glad something so cool and meaningful to you was able to come from your accident.
Quad Dog
AG
I agree with you somewhat. How would you suggest the show communicate some of this change and conflict? For better or for worse, and I think by design, there isn't a lot of dialog in this show. There is even less body language. There is no narration, no diary keeping, no close relationships to communicate the wants and needs.

How would you suggest the show communicate the kinds of things that you want? It really isn't built, by design I think, to communicate the inner thoughts of characters.

Who can Bo tell her ultimate plan to? Who can Din tell that he is conflicted and confused to, Grogu? Hopefully they'll pull it off in the end and in hindsight we'll understand the character's actions and motivations of earlier episodes.
double aught
AG
I think the lesson here is that if you go to screenwriting school, it will ruin movies and tv for you.
The Porkchop Express
AG
TCTTS said:

Clearly you didn't get the memo that Disney is just a bunch of "degenerates."

Seriously, though, this is an area in which the new Disney guard at Lucasfilm has excelled. These are all such great stories, and I'm glad something so cool and meaningful to you was able to come from your accident.
Well to be fair, Disney did make me under go a sex change operation before they let me talk to anyone and demanded that my kids change their genders to PanFluid before they could watch Disney Plus. But still a pretty nice experience.
bobinator
AG
This is exactly my problem also, what story are we trying to tell here?

I imagine that eventually they're going to start some kind of "New Mandalore" that blends some of the old with the new, but this show is taking it's sweet time getting there.

But like this season. Mando hasn't really evolved at all in four episodes. He wanted to get to the living waters, he did, and now he's back with the Mandalorians. (Though with a GIANT waste of time where he was on the hunt for one specific droid, then parts for that droid, and then **** it actually any old droid will work??)

Grogu had a semi-emotional flashback, so maybe there's some character development there though it's unclear how him remembering events from like 20 years ago is going to matter.

The only character that's really made any strides as far as development or challenging themselves this season is Bo Katan. Is she the main character of this story right now?
redline248
AG
Well, she is a Mandalorian
bobinator
AG
I joked with my wife that the show should be called "Some Mandalorians"

bobinator
AG
I try not get mad about stuff until it actually happens, but I have to admit I'm a little worried they're using screen time on this show to set up events for Ashoka and that this season won't have a real resolved conflict.
ABATTBQ11
AG
redline248 said:

DallasTeleAg said:

The armorer knows Bo-katan, but it's possible (likely?) that Bo-katan doesn't realize she knows the armorer.

That is to say the armorer's identity is currently unknown, but under the helmet is likely someone that Bo-katan knows from the pre-empire era. Death Watch, of which Bo-katan was once a member, didn't always keep the helmets on around others like this current group.

Now, as you say, there is nothing shown in this series that I recall which gives much, if any indication of a past acquaintance. The theories pop up because the armorer is so mysterious, knows so much of the history, and her helmet is very reminiscent of Darth Maul, who ran Death Watch literally hours before the rise of the empire.

Edit to add: The armorer probably also knows that if Bo-katan joins her sect it would only help solidify the Creed for the future of all mandalorians.

I doubt Bo Katan knows the armorer, though it's possible. The Children of the Watch seem different than Death Watch. CotW is more spiritually motivated and DW was more politically motivated. The armorer probably knows Bo Katan because she's kind of (in)famous.

I think Bo is becoming a born again Mandalorian, and she's finding religion in CotW. Her conversation in the mines kind of sets this up. I get the feeling she came to find her life on Mandalore superficial and kind of fake, but here's Din Djarin and this covert living The Way and they're genuine and profound. They're Death Watch without the politics and power seeking.

IMO Bo ends up riding the mythosaur. It's a recurring motif of change or a kind of rebirth that we've seen since season 1 when Kuiil taught Din how to ride the blurrgs. He does that, and then what does he do? He saves Grogu and starts this whole quest and new life. He's got purpose. Boba Fett rides the rancor into battle and solidifies his change from a ruthless bounty hunter to... Something else. Bo is going to end up on the mythosaur (this season seems to be about her changing after all), and I think Din somehow uses this as a way to give her the dark saber and move on with his life with Grogu while she rebuilds Mandalore. Bo riding the mythosaur will symbolize her spiritual transition and the rebirth of Mandalorian society as a whole.
jeffk
AG
I have a hard time seeing what resolution looks like for Din and Grogu. They're a pair of loners. Do they reject that and instead decide to join the larger Mando nation and resettle the planet (maybe with Bo as their leader)? Or do they realize that they'll always be outsiders there and continue to make their own path apart from existing communities (like they decided to do with the Jedi)?
bobinator
AG
Grogu's presence alone creates some real challenges for the story, that's one reason why I was sort of hoping he was going to be gone training with Luke or whatever. He was a baby when it started, he'll still be a baby when it ends.
CC09LawAg
I know nobody would ever admit this even if it were true, but it seems like the show wanted to move on from Grogu at the end of S2 with the Luke handoff, and focus on Mando moving forward, whether exclusively or for some period of time, but then the powers that be said "You can't have Mando without baby Yoda, people love baby Yoda merchandise!" So then they scrambled to reunite them in a show that isn't the Mandalorian and now you have this kind of aimless meandering storyline.
AliasMan02
AG
The overall thing going on here is figuring out again what it means to be a Mandalorian. The rebirth of that civilization. The Children of the Watch and Bo have very different ideas. Bo's last two attempts at ruling Mandalore and ushering in a new age have failed, once due to the Night of 1000 Tears, and then because she failed to win the Darksaber from Gideon.

Now she sees the covert. Way more Mandalorians than she probably thought were there. If she can harness this, she might have a people to rule. And she now knows Mandalore is liveable. My only question is if she's sincere or just sees an opportunity.

We also have seen from a few instances that somebody from the Empire is still out there in the shadows.

1. The fleet of TIEs that destroyed Castle Kryze
2. The retribution taken against NR converts by Elia Kane
3. The rumor that Gideon escaped the NR

I suspect that's who Bo and company will find opposes their reestablishment of their society.
ABATTBQ11
AG
I think the droid part sets up conflict later. Remember, the pirates are probably still a little displeased with Nevarro. I bet in the next episode or two we see that set up and the Mandalorians coming in to save the day.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.