***** THE MANDALORIAN SEASON 3 Official Thread *****

130,906 Views | 1857 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by jokershady
Ag Since 83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've been assuming Bo is trying to work an angle where she can claim leadership without having to take the darksaber from Mando in combat
Kate Beckett
AG
That's what I'm thinking too. She obviously has something brewing in that mind of hers.
jeffk
AG
Stupid Mandos orphaned that bunch of baby birds.
LB12Diamond
AG
jeffk said:

Stupid Mandos orphaned that bunch of baby birds.

No

They ate them latter in a feast to celebrate.
jeffk
AG
Bo wants to unite and lead her people. The mythosaur and/or dark saber are means to that end. But also she likes Din and Grogu and doesn't want to betray them. Din wants a home for him and Grogu. He thinks that can be with this covert, but I bet something (maybe Bo) intervenes and keeps that from being a long term reality.

This show has always played pretty fast and loose with character motivations. It's obviously not a strength of the writers. But I still enjoy it and enjoying it doesn't mean I think it's perfect. Most choose to spend time discussing the parts we enjoyed instead of the pieces that don't fit as well.
PatAg
AG
Maybe it's my own bias a viewer, I just don't see any way Din and grogu end up with the cult long term.
jeffk
AG
Grogu is going to claim the dark saber as his birthright (as a Jedi and a Mandalorian) and lead them back to Mandalore.
PatAg
AG
There's also nothing wrong with discussing shortcomings of the show, or what you would like to see or you felt was missing.
I would be interested to know what the actual balance of power is between Filoni and Favreau.
I'm starting to feel like Filoni is more providing Favreau the lore, and then Favreau is a little too fascinated with fitting them all in vs telling a true story
And maybe that's fine, and there is still plenty to love about the show.
I just think more focus on a true narrative could have taken this show to another level. That's not just saying "be more like Andor" either.

Or could it be something like each director is given a little too much freedom for the episodes they direct?
PatAg
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

Watched the Grogu escape scene again this morning. I'm pretty sure they made a second puppet of him just for that scene. His ears seem a lot smaller/shorter and he looks a bit smaller as well.

I was really excited to see Naboo involved in getting Grogu to safety. The Nubian soldiers take it right at the Clones, who up until an hour before had been on the side of good.

Now that Mando and Grogu both have what they want, I'm assuming the Empire will come along to ruin tranquility for them. I really like watching Bo Katan rediscover what this section of the Watch is like, and how it clearly differs from the twisted version she left behind during Clone Wars. The respect she gets from Paz Viszla at the campsite is great to see. The forging of a bond betwee Viszla and Din when he rescues the boy also suggests future camraderie.

Yea I noticed this about the flashback as well, he clearly looked a lot younger. Also when they came back to present time, the first thing I saw was that he had Yoda like hair on his head...was that always there and I just missed it?
LB12Diamond
AG

After 24 years of ridicule and some serious mental anguish, Ahmed Best is a Star Wars BAMF and i'm here for it. Whoever came up with the idea to cast him here deserves an award for compassion. I'm sure lots of people will think it was cheesy, but seeing him slinging 2 lightsabers around and the idea that Amidala might have helped saved young lings from the Temple is a real case of the feels for me. All hail the Sabered Hand!

Other than that, the Mandos sure have picked a ****ty planet to raise the kids on!

Besides a bad planet. The exact location they picked. We have a very small beach to do our training. Alrighty
bluefire579
AG
jeffk
AG
LB12Diamond said:

After 24 years of ridicule and some serious mental anguish, Ahmed Best is a Star Wars BAMF and i'm here for it. Whoever came up with the idea to cast him here deserves an award for compassion. I'm sure lots of people will think it was cheesy, but seeing him slinging 2 lightsabers around and the idea that Amidala might have helped saved young lings from the Temple is a real case of the feels for me. All hail the Sabered Hand!

Other than that, the Mandos sure have picked a ****ty planet to raise the kids on!

Besides a bad planet. The exact location they picked. We have a very small beach to do our training. Alrighty

I liked the revelation that this wasn't even the first time the giant bird thing had snatched a kid off the beach. How many freaking monsters have to attack before your find an alternative training/ritual site?
The Porkchop Express
AG
Or maybe they want a place like that with harsh natural elements to uptrain their foundlings for the real world. I want to know where all their ships are. And how deep the cave goes.
Feels so good, feelin' good again.
twilly
AG
If you are trying to hide from everybody, you pick a place where people trying to find you would go "I'm not looking for Mandalorians there. That place has giant kid snatching birds that feed them to their young. **** looking there."

Ranger fans you're not dreaming! The Rangers are the World Series Champions!
Lathspell
AG
I never watched the cartoons and have only watched The Mandalorian and BoBF, and even I know Bo Katan's motivations. We were told her entire purpose in Season 2.

Then, in Season 3, we find her giving up all hope of uniting the Mandalorians under her banner. She is dejected and left by the few she had with her.

What we saw in Episode 2 and 3 was Bo Katan being exposed to Din and his true belief in the Creed.
  • We saw her talk about her father and her reaction to Din, when he respectfully said, "This is the Way", when referring to him giving his life for Mandalore.
  • We saw her reaction to Din as he walked into the Living Waters and reciting the Creed. This obviously had an impact on her.
  • We saw her dive for Din and then see a real Mythosaur. This seemingly challenged her idea about the Children of the Watch and their adherence to the old ways. I don't know if she grew up thinking they were a myth or real, but seeing one was obviously highly impactful for her.
  • We saw her reaction to being accepted by a real group of Mandalorians still maintaining their culture and Creed.
  • She now wants to wear the symbol that all Mandalorians can share.
  • She asked the Armorer what it meant that she saw the Mythosaur.

I think Bo has been deeply challenging the worldview she has held her whole life and may be beginning to see that if the rest of Mandalore had followed the old ways, they may never have fallen to The Purge.

How will this all play out? Who knows, but I'm there for the ride. I would watch 20 episodes of a bunch of Mandalorians performing a quest of the week as opposed to following some goofball and his masculine honey-pot around Coruscant for 40 minutes.

I don't think Bo is planning anything sinister, but rather seeing the way she thought she was going to unite them all is the wrong way. Perhaps she sees following The Way again, as a society, is better than being a bunch of warring groups with no true common identity other than that they all live on the same planet and wear a similar helmet.
Saxsoon
AG
https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Kelleran_Beq

Happy for Ahmed, that was some badass lightsaber work
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
That episode felt a bit short. So the dragon takes the kid off the beach, flies away, Bo tracks it to a peak, then returns to the camp where they formulate a plan to get the kid back. But they can't use rocket packs to get there, and must climb the rock so they don't disturb the critter. All that is fine. Except this consumes a lot of time, so much that an entire night passes. Question - what was the critter doing with the kid all that time? Keeping him locked away in its mouth for a breakfast snack for her young? Not buying that. This entire subplot was lame.

What I loved was the return to Coruscant and Order 66. Loved the Jedi action with the Jar Jar actor, and the escape on the speeder evading fire from the gunships. Then the hard landing and the Naboo soldiers taking on the clones. Awesome!
TCTTS
AG
Madmarttigan said:

Oh hey look it's weds, time to for TC to go on Mando hate rants again.

It's excessive at this point, move on and stop watching it

It's always funny how I get called out for policing threads, but whenever I express an opinion that diverges from the popular one, the first thing people like you *always* do is try and police me/snuff out opinions that don't match yours. Here's an idea... how about just not read my posts? Or block me? It's been crystal clear for a while now that you don't like me, for whatever petty reasons, so just ignore me. Otherwise, this is a public message board and I'm free to express whatever opinions I want. That, and my criticisms are always explained, backed up with my own reasoning, and I try to make them constructive/sprinkle them with positivity whenever I can. This week, however, the aimlessness finally got to me. Also, I said my piece, engaged for about 20 minutes, then f/cked off for the past eight hours, just as I've done each week (for days at a time). Anything else I post in this thread is conversational plot discussion, answers to questions wherever I can, or videos, articles, etc. So it's not like all I'm doing is complaining, nor am I dominating the thread, aTmAg style, by any means. So buck up and deal with the fact that not everyone shares your opinion, and as long as people are expressing theirs in non drive-by fashion, or they're coming from a place of genuinely wanting this show to be/do better - because they love Star Wars - it's perfectly fine to vent here from time to time.
jeffk
AG
aTmAg style demands to be read like Gangnam style
TCTTS
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
So many callbacks. Have to admit, seeing Ahmed Best as a Jedi may have ventured a little TOO far into fan service territory, even for me. But that said, it was cool getting another night chase through Coruscant.

That flying T-Rex/raptor hybrid is fugly.

I did love the TPM callback right at the end. "There's always a bigger fish."

I kind of expected the story of how Grogu escaped Order 66 to be a little more...involved? It was pretty straightforward, but hey, I'll take that backstory I suppose.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Quotes from Jon Favreau about the dark saber, which would make you think the reason Grogu is so vital is that he is the first Mando since Tarre Viszla to be a Mando who can wield the Force.

"George didn't like the logic of a vibroblade being able to parry a lightsaber, so he invented the Darksaber, and I had to read the whole monologue about how it was found in a Jedi Temple. And I was telling my wife, she's like, 'That's the coolest thing in the world.' And it became so cool that we ended up making a whole TV show about it. That whole idea and how profound that thing is, that Tarre Vizsla was both Mandalorian and Jedi, that implies so much because those were two diametrically opposed warring factions. So, what does that mean? These are the clues that we look for, these little anomalies and things that instead of shying away from, we sort of delve into and explore."
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Also, found it strange to perfectly set up a situation where you can finally show Pascal's face once more...and then not do it.
redline248
AG
Involved how? I am trying to imagine the scenario in real life. Probably getting away by the skin of your teeth is how it would usually play out.

I think the bigger question, as someone earlier mentioned, is were they specifically trying to save Grogu or was he just a youngling they were trying to save, same as all the others.

Also, kind of interesting how he has gone from Jedi youngling to Mandalorian foundling.

last thought: I wonder if Karen Traviss is getting any sort of royalty, as Grogu is basically a version of a story she wrote in the Republic Commando books.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I expected somebody we know to have carefully planned his escape, I suppose. I mean I'll take a random Jedi taking him, because they wanted that Ahmed Best cameo.
redline248
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I expected somebody we know to have carefully planned his escape, I suppose. I mean I'll take a random Jedi taking him, because they wanted that Ahmed Best cameo.
How do you plan an escape for a surprise attack?
The Porkchop Express
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

So many callbacks. Have to admit, seeing Ahmed Best as a Jedi may have ventured a little TOO far into fan service territory, even for me. But that said, it was cool getting another night chase through Coruscant.

That flying T-Rex/raptor hybrid is fugly.

I did love the TPM callback right at the end. "There's always a bigger fish."

I kind of expected the story of how Grogu escaped Order 66 to be a little more...involved? It was pretty straightforward, but hey, I'll take that backstory I suppose.
I think we all guessed internally some Jedi got him off Coruscant, but what happens between 20 BBY and 9 ABY is the real intrigue.

Ahmed Best's inclusion here is special for me, but I'm certainly not discounting you thinking it might have been over the top.

If nothing else, the last 10 years of SW have been an appreciation of family. Giving Billie Lourde an expanded role in TROS after Carrie FIsher's passing, the transition of R2-KT from a 501st Legion gift to a dying little girl to a Clone Wars appearance to a The Force Awakens appearance, and now Ahmed Best, who took 25 years of **** and black listing for something that he gave 100% effort into to match Lucas's flawed vision, coming back as not just some rando in a background scene, but a two-lightsaber wielding hero who overcomes long odds to get the world's favorite character to safety.

I understand there is a lot of criticism out there for the direction many of these projects have taken, and I respect anyone's right to their opinion, but it's clear to me that Filoni and Favreau get what it means to love Star Wars and know how to use these shows to help people heal when life gets ugly for them.
redline248
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Also, found it strange to perfectly set up a situation where you can finally show Pascal's face once more...and then not do it.
Katee Sackoff face >>>
Saxsoon
AG
I know that Ahmed was given a jedi master role in a children's tv show ala guardians of the hidden temple, but they did develop background for the character to be canon.

And then to use it here, was kinda special to me
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
If you're hidden and have to sneak out without being seen? I mean there's a million ways to write that.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quote:

I think we all guessed internally some Jedi got him off Coruscant, but what happens between 20 BBY and 9 BBY is the real intrigue.

Fair point. Still a lot of meat on that bone.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Quote:

I think we all guessed internally some Jedi got him off Coruscant, but what happens between 20 BBY and 9 BBY is the real intrigue.

Fair point. Still a lot of meat on that bone.

Carl?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I'd like to say that was intentional.

combat wombat™
AG
My Disney subscription ran out after episode 2 and I can't watch anymore.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
It's like $8, cheapskate.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.