***** THE MANDALORIAN SEASON 3 Official Thread *****

131,084 Views | 1857 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by jokershady
The Porkchop Express
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
double aught said:

What struck me was how the guy in the opera house lobby could hardly keep track of the Galactic Civil War belligerents. Rebel Alliance vs Empire was of little interest to someone that wealthy. Just living the good life on Coruscant the entire time.

That was a great thing to drop in there. People like that are the microcosm of how Palpatine rises to power in the first place.
Feels so good, feelin' good again.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Carl Weathers has Tweeted that this week's chapter 20, directed by him and co-written by Favreau and Filoni is called The Foundling.
jokershady
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

Carl Weathers has Tweeted that this week's chapter 20, directed by him and co-written by Favreau and Filoni is called The Foundling.
there's been hints that we're gonna see how the dark saber was stolen so my guess is either it'll tie in to that somehow…..

OR….

We see Din's backstory as hinted in the end of season 1 how he knew who Moff Gideon was due to some attack that had happened and how he joined the Mandalorians after being found as a child

OR…….

We get Grogus backstory and how he was rescued.

I really want to see how Grogu was rescued….
OnlyForNow
AG
Artificial gravity could still be in effect, but it's set at a preset level - and forcing yourself into a fall like that would push it past its threshold.

ABATTBQ11
AG
Quad Dog said:

Was Bo Katan's freefall maneuver the first time we've ever seen a ship in Star Wars not have artificial gravity?

Don't need AG when not in orbit or beyond. Probably did of automatically in natural gravity.
bluefire579
AG
The Porkchop Express
AG
Jon Favreau is the guest on Smartless this week. Listening to it right now while I work. He talks Mando and Iron Man right off the bat.

https://www.smartless.com/

PatAg
AG
Little throwback to season 1 style episode
The Porkchop Express
AG
After 24 years of ridicule and some serious mental anguish, Ahmed Best is a Star Wars BAMF and i'm here for it. Whoever came up with the idea to cast him here deserves an award for compassion. I'm sure lots of people will think it was cheesy, but seeing him slinging 2 lightsabers around and the idea that Amidala might have helped saved young lings from the Temple is a real case of the feels for me. All hail the Sabered Hand!

Other than that, the Mandos sure have picked a ****ty planet to raise the kids on!
Kate Beckett
AG
Dave Filoni really is obsessed with Order 66 and the trauma, isn't he?

I find it interesting that Padme may have had something to do with saving the foundlings and any other Jedi.

Anyways, I got my Grogu serotonin and am happy. I really enjoyed this episode seeing all the Mandalorians and their armor.
CondensedFogAggie

3 years and Grogu still elicits a cute as **** vibe whenever on the screen.

Wonder why he was so important for all that sacrifice to keep him safe.
AMW2010
AG
Episode was DOPE!!! Especially compared to last weeks! A show called the Mandalorian, about Mandalorians! It's a wild concept, but when it works, it works!

Also those Star Wars version is the mosossaur are getting lots of screen time and are awesome, wasn't expecting that.

And lastly Jar Jar becoming a Jedi, who'd have thought?! This is the way!
The Porkchop Express
AG

God bless ya, Filoni/Favreau.
Hungry Ojos
So is there a backstory to this guy (black Jedi)?
Kate Beckett
AG
He plays the same character apparently in a kids show called Star Wars: Jedi Temple Challenge.
AMW2010
AG
Ummm yea… that's JAR JAR BINKS!!!
redline248
AG
Well, that was a cool episode. I forgot what Ahmed looked like in real life, and then when the credits were playing I laughed out loud when I realized he was the Jedi. Pretty cool, and I'm happy for him. I will never not be happy to see a Jedi dual wielding lightsabers. Still more to learn about how Grogu gets from the Jedi's care to a bunch of randos in S1E1.

Ok, the show was cool, and I like the "save the kid" plot. HOWEVER

That thing took the kid, flew all the way back to it's nest and then didn't immediately feed it to the babies?
TCTTS
AG
The Ahmed Best cameo was fun, and I loved the spirit of it, but that's basically all this show has become at this point is a string of "exciting" easter eggs and fan servicey moments every three episodes or so, which all ultimately serve to mask how terrible the storytelling has become. Otherwise, for the life of me, I could not tell you what this season is about or where it might be headed. I have no clue what anyone wants, who's after who, who's in who's way, there's next to no forward momentum, no overarching stakes, etc. Basically, these perfectly sum up how I feel right now…

redline248
AG
Quote:

Otherwise, for the life of me, I could not tell you what this season is about or where it's headed. I have no clue what anyone wants, who's after who, who's in who's way, there's next to no forward momentum or overarching stakes, etc.
Respectfully, I think you - and that guy - are being a little blind about what's happening. It's pretty obvious Bo-Katan is cooking up something. I think that is going to be the biggest plot point this season. Yeah, Din wants Grogu to train as a Mandalorian, but we are also seeing some windows into his past, which is going to (as the armorer said) shape who he will become.

Also, the show is called The Mandalorian - not Din Djarin, and yes we expect it to be about Din, but it could easily be shifted to be about Bo-Katan or Grogu.

Now, I will admit that the previous episode felt like an unnecessary side tracking of the main plot, but I'm patient enough to see where it pays off. We still have Gideon looming out there.

I guess I feel like your complaint is similar to "I want it now" approach and not happy with a slower burn. I hope I'm not coming across as a jerk.
Hungry Ojos
What is the "satisfying reveal" the Twitter post above refers to?
redline248
AG
Ahmed Best as a Jedi, or maybe how Grogu got out of the temple
TCTTS
AG
I'm just not seeing it.

- Bo taking her helmet off and looking… hangry?… didn't really hint at anything to me, at least in the moment. Otherwise, she seems perfectly content with this group, and there is zero indication of her larger motivation. She's just… there… fitting in, no friction, and that's it.

- Mando too has basically become a non-character at this point. He's also just… there… hanging out, training. With absolutely zero indication as to *his* larger motivation. I guess he wants to see Grogu become an apprentice now? Cool?

- There's also no apparent, larger, looming threat. Just a vague TIE fighter attack last episode, some random space pirates previous to that, and now a pterodactyl thing.

We're halfway through the season and there's just NOTHING going on right now. No motivations, no mission, no momentum. Bo *might* be planning… something. Gideon *might* be out there doing… something. And Mando is doing literally nothing. I just don't understand how anyone can possibly be satisfied by this. I mean, who gives a sh*t about some random kid who was eaten (but not really?) by a pterodactyl? Why are we wasting so much valuable time on nothing episodes like this? Seriously, what are we doing?
Hungry Ojos
Ok, one more dumb question, then I'll leave everyone alone.

Doesn't Bo Katan now have to go bathe in the living waters again, since she took her helmet off to eat?
redline248
AG
Don't you write scripts? You can't see the foreshadowing in Bo-Katan asking about the mythosaur, getting it on her armor piece, and all the slow lingering up close shots of her as she stares at the skull on the wall?

The thing about Mando is even he doesn't know what he really wants. He wanted to be redeemed, now he thinks all he needs to do is train Grogu. Everyone should know that's not going to last.
redline248
AG
Hungry Ojos said:

Doesn't Bo Katan now have to go bathe in the living waters again, since she took her helmet off to eat?
They only can't take the helmets off around other people who will see their faces. Eating in private doesn't count.
TCTTS
AG
No, the guy told her they all go off separately to take their helmets off and eat. Everyone was doing what she was doing, just out of sight of each other.
Hungry Ojos
redline248 said:

Hungry Ojos said:

They only can't take the helmets off around other people who will see their faces. Eating in private doesn't count.

See, I figured this was the answer, but I went back and watched the end of the last episode and the armorer clearly asks Bo Katan: "did you bathe in the living waters?" Then "have you taken your helmet off since." No qualifier like "to eat with no one around?" Just "have you taken your helmet off since?"

So I was a little confused.
TCTTS
AG
redline248 said:

Don't you write scripts? You can't see the foreshadowing in Bo-Katan asking about the mythosaur, getting it on her armor piece, and all the slow lingering up close shots of her as she stares at the skull on the wall?

The thing about Mando is even he doesn't know what he really wants. He wanted to be redeemed, now he thinks all he needs to do is train Grogu. Everyone should know that's not going to last.

Foreshadowing WHAT, though? What does Bo WANT? We need *some* hint or indication and we currently have none. Good storytelling is either foreshadowing what we might suspect, or foreshadowing something we think might happen, only to then subvert our expectations. Whatever Favreau is doing is neither of those things. You can't just say "It's foreshadowing!" as if that's enough, in and of itself. Because there's nothing else going on for it mean anything right now, or to set our expectations one way or the other.

As for Mando, if he truly only wants to spend his life simply training Grogu now, then play that up. Even if his motivation is to just hang out with the clan and be the best Mandalorian he can be, then lean into that. Have him *express* as much. And do so in a manner where we know it can't last, and his world is about to be turned upside down again. Being motivated to essentially do nothing is *not* the same as having no motivation. One is expressed and implicit, the other - the latter - is lazy writing.
redline248
AG
Do you really need to be told, again, that all he wants (or thinks he wants) is to be part of the clan?
TCTTS
AG
He already achieved as much. That story is complete. Task accomplished. Now we need something new. Again, STATE what you want, how you see your life playing out now that achieved your goal, etc. Otherwise, there is literally no point in watching a motivation-less character just hanging out. Especially halfway through the third season of his "journey."
ABATTBQ11
AG
Hungry Ojos said:

redline248 said:

Hungry Ojos said:

See, I figured this was the answer, but I went back and watched the end of the last episode and the armorer clearly asks Bo Katan: "did you bathe in the living waters?" Then "have you taken your helmet off since." No qualifier like "to eat with no one around?" Just "have you taken your helmet off since?"

So I was a little confused.

The helmet thing was established in season 1
chase128
AG
I haven't watched episode 4 yet, will do that tonight.

After ep3 where Mando basically accomplishes his goal of redemption I definitely was wondering at the end "So uhhh, now what?". I know there's something going on with the cloning stuff, but something about the direction of this show just seems off with me lately.
Madmarttigan
AG
Oh hey look it's weds, time to for TC to go on Mando hate rants again.

It's excessive at this point, move on and stop watching it
The Porkchop Express
AG
Watched the Grogu escape scene again this morning. I'm pretty sure they made a second puppet of him just for that scene. His ears seem a lot smaller/shorter and he looks a bit smaller as well.

I was really excited to see Naboo involved in getting Grogu to safety. The Nubian soldiers take it right at the Clones, who up until an hour before had been on the side of good.

Now that Mando and Grogu both have what they want, I'm assuming the Empire will come along to ruin tranquility for them. I really like watching Bo Katan rediscover what this section of the Watch is like, and how it clearly differs from the twisted version she left behind during Clone Wars. The respect she gets from Paz Viszla at the campsite is great to see. The forging of a bond betwee Viszla and Din when he rescues the boy also suggests future camraderie.

Kate Beckett
AG
Will do a rewatch tonight. I forget stuff when I watch at 2 am and go back to bed.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.