***** THE MANDALORIAN SEASON 3 Official Thread *****

131,454 Views | 1857 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by jokershady
Quad Dog
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
oragator said:

After they had already stolen everything they heard the sounds and started running.
And they could have just arrested him as soon as he left the allowed area. That's what he was afraid of to start with.
If they knew where to be, they knew the basic plan. Which blows up the idea of her pretending to not know. They also could have arrested them at the same site before they stole anything. But again, then the plot doesn't move.

Just a lot that didn't have to happen that did.

But enough on that for me, I've more than made my point. This show has been good for me so far, but gonna carp too badly over one episode.
Maybe breaking perimeter restrictions and trespassing are more of a slap on the wrist and she wanted the full Mind Flayer treatment for some reason. She needed him with contraband in his hands getting arrested.

I don't think she was working for Gideon. If she was really working for Gideon, I feel like the most valuable thing would be the Doctor's mind and not any lab equipment. She could convince him to keep his research going for good reasons like organ cloning or whatever, but steal it after success for Gideon.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

I thought the general idea was that the woman was a double-agent. Working for the New Republic but really working for Gideon.
this probably makes more sense to get Dr. Pershing to go work for Palps again.
https://i.postimg.cc/rpHKr9JQ/IMG-0770.jpg
twilly
AG
What we really need is a Charlton Heston lookalike run around screaming that Yellow Hyperspace Biscuits are made out of people.

Ranger fans you're not dreaming! The Rangers are the World Series Champions!
cbr
AG
TCTTS said:

Like most of the story in this show, there's a cool core idea there, just executed in the dumbest, lowest-common-denominator way.

Lol maybe someone hacked his account this time.
redline248
AG
She is 100% still working for Gideon. If she was with the new republic completely, why would she set him up? He only decided to break the rules after her planting the seeds of discontent.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
LeonardSkinner said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Anyone notice how the doc kept touching his ear throughout the episode? That seemed an odd detail. Wonder if this means something. We didn't see him hurt his ear in a past season did we?

What I thought I noticed was that there was a significant chunk of his ear missing during the speech. Later on, it looked like it had been surgically repaired, with a bit of scarring where the new section of ear filled in the gap.
That's a great catch if so.
Quad Dog
AG
redline248 said:

She is 100% still working for Gideon. If she was with the new republic completely, why would she set him up? He only decided to break the rules after her planting the seeds of discontent.
It's possible her legit job is working for the republic undercover to root out backsliders in Amnesty.
The Porkchop Express
AG
The Internet says that Chapter 20 is

Only 30 minutes long
Directed by Carl Weathers (stew jokes here)
Co-written by Dave Filoni
Has the buzz of a possible Ahsoka cameo or possibly her and Sabine Wren.

Additionally, Making Star Wars reports that Kevin McKidd, who voiced Fen Rau in Rebels, is in this season as the live-action version of himself. If you haven't watched Rebels, Fen Rau joins the Rebellion as a surviving member of the Mandalorian Protectors and tells Kanan the legend of the Darksaber He is part of the alliance of Rebels, Bo Katan, the Nite Owls, and the Wrens to take back Mandalore.
Feels so good, feelin' good again.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
So apparently the viewership for S3 so far hasn't been great. 28% below Obi-Wan, 25% below Mando S2 premiere, and even slightly below Book of Boba Fett.

Wonder what that's due to. Bad taste from Boba Fett? Lack of marketing? Too many eyes on TLOU? Thoughts?

https://screenrant.com/the-mandalorian-season-3-premiere-views-ratings/
AggieOO
nevermind...i read that as the episode, not the season.
LB12Diamond
AG
I think it's the Andor affect. Many prefer that type of show over this.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
It's been on for three weeks, so I don't think that could be to blame.
AggieOO
my edit wasn't fast enough.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I do get the feeling that sometimes there's only enough room for one huge, zeitgeist type of show to make a big splash at a time. (Ie. Mando when it first came out, Wednesday, TLOU, etc.)

So hopefully now that TLOU is over, this grabs some of that attention.
The Porkchop Express
AG
I'm really confused how they measure ratings for streaming shows
Quad Dog
AG

Don't believe anything you hear. Even the article above references "Third-party analytics" What third parties have access to Disney+ numbers to do analytics? Are the running a Nielsen style survey?
ABATTBQ11
AG
oragator said:

After they had already stolen everything they heard the sounds and started running.
And they could have just arrested him as soon as he left the allowed area. Would not make sense from an intelligence perspective because this limits intel gathering. They would not find it what he was after. That's what he was afraid of to start with.
If they knew where to be, they knew the basic plan. Which blows up the idea of her pretending to not know. They didn't. Kane was likely feeding them misinformation about Pershing having a plan but giving her no details. They were probably following her and waiting for a signal. They also could have arrested them at the same site before they stole anything. But again, then the plot doesn't move. Not about the plot. Common undercover/counter intel move is to allow the suspect to continue what they're doing and gather as much intel as possible before shutting them down.

Just a lot that didn't have to happen that did.

But enough on that for me, I've more than made my point. This show has been good for me so far, but gonna carp too badly over one episode.

You have to stop thinking about it like Kane was sent to catch Pershing and more like she was framing him. Assume the amnesty program knew nothing and was under the assumption Kane was following Pershing's lead, not the other way around, because they trusted Kane. If they operated under the assumption he was a bad guy that had unwittingly recruited Kane instead of the other way around, it makes sense that they would be following their operative Kane and letting Pershing progress to gather as much info as possible, not just setting an elaborate trap.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Quad Dog said:

Don't believe anything you hear. Even the article above references "Third-party analytics" What third parties have access to Disney+ numbers to do analytics? Are the running a Nielsen style survey?

Disney+ has raw data. Nielsen uses special devices that detect what paid participants watch and when, and they can extrapolate demographic data and viewership.

ETA Nielsen's devices are wearables. They do radio, broadcast, and I assume streaming.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Quad Dog said:

redline248 said:

It's possible her legit job is working for the republic undercover to root out backsliders in Amnesty.

I think it's both. She works for Gideon, but her cover is working for the amnesty program to root out backsliders. It gives her the perfect cover and opportunity to find them and potentially recruit them. She can give some up and frame others to keep her cover, but she can also file positive reports on some to ensure they're given desirable positions for intel gathering or later sabotage.
Quad Dog
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

Quad Dog said:

redline248 said:

I think it's both. She works for Gideon, but her cover is working for the amnesty program to root out backsliders. It gives her the perfect cover and opportunity to find them and potentially recruit them. She can give some up and frame others to keep her cover, but she can also file positive reports on some to ensure they're given desirable positions for intel gathering or later sabotage.
Still think that the Doctor's mind is way more valuable to Gideon than anything else he could have stolen. If she's working for Gideon and recruiting, why crank up the mind flayer?
TCTTS
AG

TCTTS said:

Like most of the story in this show, there's a cool core idea there, just executed in the dumbest, lowest-common-denominator way.
I thought you gave up bashing the Mandalorian for Lent?

A) I didn't expect it to be this inept, B) I thought I'd be the only dissenting voice, but now a number of people are complaining, C) I've been genuinely confused by parts of the story, so I've been legit seeking answers, and D) every time I say something negative I've made it a point to say something positive as well.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Turn him against the New Republic. We don't know if it wipes skills and knowledge.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Quad Dog said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

Quad Dog said:

redline248 said:

Still think that the Doctor's mind is way more valuable to Gideon than anything else he could have stolen. If she's working for Gideon and recruiting, why crank up the mind flayer?
She wipes his mind clean, he forgets all the pro-Republic stuff, he has to go back to Square One, and the Empire swipes him while he's in transit and takes him back to his lab and he doesnt' remember anything went wrong in the first place.

That said, how loyal is the guy? He was trying to protect Grogu early on and was very compliant during the rescue.
Quad Dog
AG
Possible , but I'd be worried I'd delete his cloning knowledge too.
Southlake
Elia Kane stole every scene she was in.
redline248
AG
Interesting, I thought she was average. Maybe it's her casual smirk while jumping from trains and stuff that I didn't like.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Cool stuff from Kate Sackhoff on Bo Katan in general and Episode 9 in particular

Quote:

"I do hope, but I'm also pragmatic about it as well. I take into consideration that I, for the bulk of my career, have not been out making period rom-coms. To a certain extent, I have played characters that are very similar to Bo-Katan, so I do understand how the transition was easier to imagine, if you will. But just as a viewer, I want to see the person who's right for the role. 100 percent. But I do believe that every voice actor, if they have a career in live-action, should get a crack, for sure. But I also don't believe that it should be a given in every circumstance."

When we first met her this season, Bo-Katan was at a very low point in her life, after her crew bailed on her and her hopes to retake Mandalore had been blown to pieces. Asked if seeing the Mythosaur was a wake-up call for her, Sackhoff replied:

Quote:

"It could be. It just depends on the way that she decides to interpret it and what it means and what exactly it's telling her. But I don't know. I think the biggest wake-up call for Bo was the death of her sister [Satine] years ago, and everything she's done since that moment has been to try and make amends for that moment."
"I think that she's weighing her options. At the beginning of the episode, we see that everything she has is gone now. Everything. She's lost her home. She's lost her home world. She's lost her family. She's lost her people. She's lost the Darksaber. She has nothing left. And so the idea that these people accept her with open arms is intriguing to her. I also don't know if Bo has ever felt so readily accepted by anyone, and in her mind, I think that she's probably thinking that this might work."

PatAg
AG
Southlake said:

She grew on me as the episode went on, and the way she ended the episode was perfect
CondensedFogAggie
Southlake said:

I don't know about stole, but her eyes def have that intensity where you're wondering if this person is going to strangle you or not. Similar to Dedra Meero and Syril Karn.
Coppell97
AG
The show took a left turn out of nowhere, tried to be an Andor, didn't execute it well at all. Didn't even feel like a poor man's Andor. It just felt unnecessary. Feel like all I needed to see was the first 5 mins and last 5 mins of episode 3. Those parts were very good. Hoping things back on track with episode 4.
twilly
AG
While the Pershing story was too drawn out and lethargic, my theory for why it played out that way was to establish how the Empire/First Order is now forced to use clandestine and deceptive tactics to achieve its means, while directly under the nose of the New Republic.

It sets up how the Resistance was a desperate and separate force as not everyone in the NR could see the approaching threat.

Tied together with the story line in The Bad Batch, the backstory of Snoke/cloning/FO emergence is slowly being woven.

Ranger fans you're not dreaming! The Rangers are the World Series Champions!
Aggie_Journalist
AG
Episode 3 felt like someone watched Andor and said "I want to do the spy stuff!" And they just weren't nearly as good.

The opening action sequence was fun though.
Thanks and gig'em
Aggie_Journalist
AG
I was expecting the cool twist at the end to be for the new republic to arrest the doctor and the gal, and for the doctor to then end up imprisoned in a republic lab where the republic warden would tell him, "It's really unfortunate you violated the amnesty program. The new republic had just voted to allow you to continue your valuable research. So here's what we'll do, this lab is now your lab and you can continue your work here, but after that little stunt, this lab will also be your home. We can't let you outside again. We hope you understand." The doctor would then happily continue his research, which is all he really cared about, and the camera would zoom out through a double plated glass window to reveal it was actually an imperial ship, the empire had recaptured him, and he was unwittingly working for them once again.

But… these writers are not great.
Thanks and gig'em
double aught
AG
What struck me was how the guy in the opera house lobby could hardly keep track of the Galactic Civil War belligerents. Rebel Alliance vs Empire was of little interest to someone that wealthy. Just living the good life on Coruscant the entire time.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.