***** THE MANDALORIAN SEASON 3 Official Thread *****

131,168 Views | 1857 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by jokershady
The Porkchop Express
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The early reviewers all hyped up tonights episode. I spent dinner with my daughter explaining bo katan's history then we watched 2 episodes of Clone Wars and 1 episode of rebels. She then cracked me up by saying, "I can't believe I didn't have all this information until now."
Feels so good, feelin' good again.
Prosperdick
AG
TCTTS said:

Yeah, with HBO and Showtime included, I used to pay well over $100/month for DirecTV. Maybe even closer to $150. I dropped DirecTV three years ago, switched to YouTubeTV, and subscribe to six streamers...

$94.98 - YouTubeTV (w/ HBO & Showtime)
$19.99 - Netlfix
$14.99 - Hulu
$10.99 - Disney+
$06.99 - Apple TV+
"Free" - Amazon Prime Video

= $147.94 - TOTAL

So I'm paying basically the same price now as I was back then, except now I have access to all of those incredibly deep streaming libraries, and there's a sh*t ton more new content to choose from. In short, we're getting WAY more for our $$$. Not to mention, you can also cancel each service on a month-to-month basis, and only subscribe when there's something new you want to watch, which is something else we couldn't do prior to streaming.

The only valid "complaint" is having to switch between apps, but even that will be somewhat remedied over the next couple years. Hulu and Disney+ will become one service, Peacock will swallowed up by someone, Showtime has already been absorbed into Paramount+, etc. There's absolutely going to be consolidation, and everything will live on, say, five primary streamers, hardly any different than every great cable show living on HBO, Showtime, FX, and AMC back in the day.
Just curious why you're not bundling Hulu and Disney+ for $19.99 (with no ads) instead of paying $26 for them separately. Oh and it also includes ESPN+ (with ads) but is good for the random A&M game that isn't shown on "regular" TV.
Tailgate88
AG
Prosperdick said:

TCTTS said:

Yeah, with HBO and Showtime included, I used to pay well over $100/month for DirecTV. Maybe even closer to $150. I dropped DirecTV three years ago, switched to YouTubeTV, and subscribe to six streamers...

$19.99 - Netlfix
$14.99 - Hulu
$10.99 - Disney+
$06.99 - Apple TV+

= $147.94 - TOTAL

So I'm paying basically the same price now as I was back then, except now I have access to all of those incredibly deep streaming libraries, and there's a sh*t ton more new content to choose from. In short, we're getting WAY more for our $$$. Not to mention, you can also cancel each service on a month-to-month basis, and only subscribe when there's something new you want to watch, which is something else we couldn't do prior to streaming.

The only valid "complaint" is having to switch between apps, but even that will be somewhat remedied over the next couple years. Hulu and Disney+ will become one service, Peacock will swallowed up by someone, Showtime has already been absorbed into Paramount+, etc. There's absolutely going to be consolidation, and everything will live on, say, five primary streamers, hardly any different than every great cable show living on HBO, Showtime, FX, and AMC back in the day.
Just curious why you're not bundling Hulu and Disney+ for $19.99 (with no ads) instead of paying $26 for them separately. Oh and it also includes ESPN+ (with ads) but is good for the random A&M game that isn't shown on "regular" TV.
If you are a baseball or softball fan, it's awesome - 90% of the games are available.
The Porkchop Express
AG
I hear something huge is coming tonight on Mando.
TCTTS
AG
Prosperdick said:

TCTTS said:

$19.99 - Netlfix
$14.99 - Hulu
$10.99 - Disney+
$06.99 - Apple TV+

= $147.94 - TOTAL

At one point I wanted the option to potentially drop Hulu, but then decided not to when it started cranking out so many great shows, and then I just never got around to bundling. That, and Hulu and Disney+ have been rumored forever to be combining into one service anyway. Now, it sounds like Disney is going to make the decision this year whether or not to sell their stake in Hulu or buy out the remaining percentage, own it outright, and combine with Disney+. At this point I'll just ride it out and see what happens.
TCTTS
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

I hear something huge is coming tonight on Mando.

I really didn't want to stay up tonight, but you might be forcing my hand now...
cbr
AG
chase128 said:

I enjoy Star Wars, but I never watched much of the animated series. I even picked up on the Mandalorian vs Jedi stuff that was mentioned in the Mandalorian series.
fwiw, i never thought i'd watch any animated crap...

but then watched clone wars during a flu, and have to say, if you picked about the top 30 or so episodes, its some of the best SW material, period. the last 4 episodes are really something.

i didnt feel nearly the same way about rebels, but the top 5-10 are worth watching.

bad batch was 'ok'

bottom line, selectively doing that is very entertaining, and will give you a lot of background for current stuff.

The Porkchop Express
AG
cbr said:

chase128 said:

I enjoy Star Wars, but I never watched much of the animated series. I even picked up on the Mandalorian vs Jedi stuff that was mentioned in the Mandalorian series.

but then watched clone wars during a flu, and have to say, if you picked about the top 30 or so episodes, its some of the best SW material, period. the last 4 episodes are really something.

i didnt feel nearly the same way about rebels, but the top 5-10 are worth watching.

bad batch was 'ok'

bottom line, selectively doing that is very entertaining, and will give you a lot of background for current stuff.

It appears cbr's account has been hacked.
Kate Beckett
AG
Alarm set for 2 am! Excited.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Kate Beckett said:

Alarm set for 2 am! Excited.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Im assuming these numbers mean something, but I cant figure out what.

BenTheGoodAg
AG
I think the fine print at the bottom explains it pretty well
The Porkchop Express
AG
Ever wonder why they're called the Living waters beneath the Mines of Mandalore?
cbr
AG

cbr said:

chase128 said:

bad batch was 'ok'

It appears cbr's account has been hacked.
Ok, i'll bite. Dont get it, pls explain?
TCTTS
AG
You never seem to like *anything* so it's just a surprise seeing you actually enjoy/praise something. Especially something that's animated and generally considered "second tier" Star Wars. Hence the idea that someone hacked your account, and thus your account posted something positive for once.
The Porkchop Express
AG
You and I are the urSkek of the board split into 2 beings. I am urRu who finds beauty in almost everything Star Wars and you are the Skeksis pointing out how much it all sucks. So having you praise multiple animated projects Is shocking.
boogieman
AG
Chapter 18: The Mines of Mandalore

Let's Go!
boogieman
AG
Damnit! Episode is way too short.

The Porkchop Express
AG
Bo Katan wielding the Darksaber in live action like a BAMF is probably the third greatest thing I've ever seen on this show. Loved the contrast from her to din.

Loved the mines of Moria homage.

Katee Sackhoff is going to steal this whole season, isn't she?

Happy Boonta Eve, Spilner!
TCTTS
AG
Maybe the most cinematic episode to date, with some of the coolest sets yet. More than ever, it truly looked/felt like a movie. I really loved the design of the underground cyclops creature too, his tech, and the way he moved. That was all incredibly well done.

I still don't quite understand what's going on with Bo-Katan, though. One minute she seemingly wants to kill Mando, and never go back to Mandalore again. But then the next minute she's saving Mando, all buddy buddy, and playing Mandalore tour guide. Not to mention, it was hilarious how she was *still* just sitting on that throne, doing absolutely nothing. That said, once we finally saw her in action again she was a legit badass, and I'm looking forward to her (hopefully) taking a more central role this season.

That, and I'm also hoping we really get to spend some time on Mandalore now, and drop the incessant, back-and-forth planet hopping for a few episodes. I'm ready for the story to settle in, and for Mando to officially team up with Bo and whoever else - anyone other than *just* Grogu - and have bigger, overarching quest or enemy to take down, which thankfully feels like the direction they're heading.
Kate Beckett
AG
It's a mother effin mythosaur!

Also Grogu was cute so I got my serotonin fix.

Overall that episode slapped.
Saxsoon
Saxsoon
AG
That was worth getting up before work for
twilly
AG
Wow! A mythosaur!

Time to write a new chapter in the annals of Mandalore. Whoever slays the beast will become the new legend.

Also noticed that Phil Tippet was listed as an effects and creature advisor. That's freakin' awesome he's back on Star Wars!

Ranger fans you're not dreaming! The Rangers are the World Series Champions!
Tailgate88
AG

More people are currently watching Stranger Things than Last of Us right now? It didn't even make the list?
cbr
AG
TCTTS said:

You never seem to like *anything* so it's just a surprise seeing you actually enjoy/praise something. Especially something that's animated and generally considered "second tier" Star Wars. Hence the idea that someone hacked your account, and thus your account posted something positive for once.
Well, lol, ok…i think you guys have a bit of selected memory going.

Maybe my negative posts are just memorable because i dont make much effort at being diplomatic sometimes, but i've consistently praised alot of sw material.

The original tril, rogue 1, much of clone wars, mando, andor - really good to absolutely brilliant

Rev of the sith, mando at times, a few episodes of boba fett, the balance of clone wars, a few episodes of rebels, really good.

My posts on all these have always been consistently praising

I'm sure im forgetting some. But this quality is what sets off how ****ty the sequels were, and lost opportunities like solo or obi wan. Pisses me off, and that's probably why those posts are memorable.

Thx for explaining.

The Porkchop Express
AG
I've been keeping a tracker on my browser of your posts over the years concerning Star Wars. It's currently at

Positive: 62
Negative: 43,912.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Tailgate88 said:

More people are currently watching Stranger Things than Last of Us right now? It didn't even make the list?

That says Demand, not Viewers. It could be a combination of things viewers and sentiment analysis.
redline248
AG
TCTTS said:

I still don't quite understand what's going on with Bo-Katan, though. One minute she seemingly wants to kill Mando, and never go back to Mandalore again. But then the next minute she's saving Mando, all buddy buddy, and playing Mandalore tour guide. Not to mention, it was hilarious how she was *still* just sitting on that throne, doing absolutely nothing. That said, once we finally saw her in action again she was a legit badass, and I'm looking forward to her (hopefully) taking a more central role this season.
My take is it's pretty straight forward. She hasn't really ever wanted to kill Mando, she's just bitter about how things have gone for her, angry that he has it and she can't just kill him for it. Why can't she? Because she is, in fact, a good person. That's also why she keeps going to save him.

Plus, saving him just gave her a bunch of new opportunities for the future of Mandalore. Her speech about how they used to always fight amongst themselves was deliberate by the show, imo. She and Din are going to find a way to unite the rest of the Mandalorians. I'm convinced of that, now.

Even Amy Sedaris couldn't drag this episode down. Awesome.

random thoughts:

I still don't understand why Din can barely lift the saber. How was Gideon able to use it so easily?
Watching Bo-Katan wreck with it was so enjoyable.
The Cyclops thing looked like the alien from Lost in Space, and it's droid thing reminded me of the sentinels in The Matrix

MYTHOSAUR!!!! OMG
jeffk
AG
Loved it. I also vote we spend the whole season exploring Mandalore. Mythosaur is an awesome reveal.

I didn't catch whether Bo gave the dark saber back to Din or kept it.

The Porkchop Express
AG
Warning: This post is going to be almost as bad as some of the YouTube SW Theory videos out there. Just letting you know.

So, after sleeping for 10 or 15 minutes last night, I've gone back to thinking about the Mandalorian pretty much non stop. Lost in my initial viewing of the episode last night is the issue that the Armorer has been lying to Din about Mandalore. Specifically that it's uninhabitable and that the mines were destroyed. Seeing as how she's the keeper - unofficial or official - of all their lore, and seems to have some sort of leadership mantle among the Children of the Watch, that seems pretty significant that she's inventing a narrative to keep everyone away. from their ancestral home.

With Din now having bathed, albeit briefly in the Living Waters, I have no doubt he'll be making a beeline straight back to whatever planet the rest of the Mandos are on to be integrated back into the clan, but because he's a dumb dummy, he's almost certainly also going to spill the beans about Mandalore not being cursed, the air being breathable, things living on and below the surface, and the existence of the Mythosaur. I'm sure he's convinced that the Armorer was just mistaken, not making it up. Considering that the Armorer is the one who told him that the return of the Mythosaur would symbolize the rise of a new Mandalore, and the importance of the Darksaber, which he happens to have, you would have to assume that if the rest of the CotW believed him, the Armorer's days of running the show would be short lived.

While she's a bad ass character, it's very sus that doesn't have a real name. All of the Mandos are like characters on Game of Thrones, very proud of their houses. Her not having one doesn't fit in with any part of their culture. The visual clues about her probable allegiance with Maul's faction of Death Watch during the Clone Wars doesn't do her many favors either.

Now, if Mando convinces Bo Katan to return with him to where the Watch is holed up to convince them that Mandalore is inhabitable and the Mythosaur still lives, things seem like they might get really nasty. The Armorer knows who Bo is, and my gut tells me that Bo knows who the Armorer is too, but maybe doesn't realize she's alive and running that faction, since she washed her hands of the Watch way back when.

Bo associates that red armor and the horns with the faction that murdered her sister. She won't be happy to see it again. especially with big boy Vizla a relative of Pre Vizla who led the overthrow of Satine's rule (with Bo's support), only to lose the Darksaber to Maul.

Rewatching Chapter 17 and that long pause that the Armorer takes after Din says he'll be able to come back and be redeemed if he bathes in the Mines before she says "This is the Way" makes me think she sent him to Mandalore assuming he'd get killed - either by the monsters, or the weirdo cyborg droid thing, or even the Mythosaur itself - and 2 of those 3 would have happened if not for Grogu/Bo Katan. Sacrificing Din allows the Armorer to keep control over the Watch.

That also makes me wonder if she tasked him with returning Grogu to the Jedi because she perceived him to a threat to her power as well. A Mandalorian with a Jedi utterly loyal to him would be a powerful force if he chose to be.

The "why" behind the Armorer's decisions are a little more cloudy, but I do think there's something to the suddenly frequent references to Concordia, where the Watch was when Mandalore was razed by the Empire and where Din was raised. The proximity of the moon to the planet makes me question why the Empire wouldn't just go bomb the **** out of the moon after they destroyed Mandalore. It's right there and if Moff Gideon was in charge, which I assume is likely since he wound up with the Darksaber, given his massive propensity for information, it seems he would have been well aware there was a faction of hardcore warriors right around the corner that could be wiped out as well.

But they didn't. And that leads me to quadruple down on the Armorer as the antagonist of the season. Maybe the Empire didn't destroy Concordia because they made a deal with the Watch - stay underground, don't warn the government on Mandalore, don't help them, and we won't kill you too. Maybe the Armorer even went so far as to break down the story of the Darksaber to the Empire and help them know where to find it so they could remove that piece from the board and take away basically any chance of Mandalore ever uniting again.

Crazy? Probably. But then consider what happened in the "Return of the Mandalorian" episode of BOBF. Hal an hour after Mando shows back up at the new conclave with the Darksaber and a fresh wound on his leg, big boy Vizla challenges him for ownership of it. Din wins the fight, but 30 seconds later the Armorer asks the question about the helmet, and then outllaws him from their order. She couldn't get the saber away from him, so she finds another way to get him out of the way.

The season previews show DIn appearing to lead several mandos in a cave/desert scenario that looks similar to the same planet that we see at the opening of Season 1. We've also seen both big boy Vizla firing his gun on what looks to be Nevarro and Bo Katan and the Night Owls jumping out of a ship over what also looks to be NEvarro.

Both of these shots could be the Mandalorians teaming up to save Nevarro from an attack by the Dread Pirate HR Puffenstuff from the first episode, but what if it's more a Mando v Mando battle when Bo/Din expose the Armorer's lies and lines get drawn in the sand?

If Bo and Din show up to confront the Armorer, I could totally see Episode 3 being called "The Heretic"

LB12Diamond
AG
jeffk said:

Loved it. I also vote we spend the whole season exploring Mandalore. Mythosaur is an awesome reveal.

He kept it. I was watching for that one. But I think he might be giving it to her soon enough.
The Porkchop Express
AG
jeffk said:

She left the Dark saber sitting on the ground when she rescued him and he picked it back up when he was going to continue on.

And really, at least by Harry Potter Elder Wand rules, she probably could have claimed it. The Droid thing defeated and captured Mando and took the saber from him, and then she defeated the Droid and took it from the droid.
redline248
AG

jeffk said:

She left the Dark saber sitting on the ground when she rescued him and he picked it back up when he was going to continue on.

And really, at least by Harry Potter Elder Wand rules, she probably could have claimed it. The Droid thing defeated and captured Mando and took the saber from him, and then she defeated the Droid and took it from the droid.
Technically the droid cyborg just tossed it. That would be like if Din decided he can't use it and just left it somewhere for her to find.

edit: happy, Jeff?
jeffk
AG
The eyeball crab thingy is technically an cyborg, guys. Words matter.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.