*** BLACK PANTHER: WAKANDA FOREVER *** (Spoilers)

12,356 Views | 141 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by ABATTBQ11
Quad Dog
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Was Namor the first person to use the word "mutant" in an MCU movie?
jackie childs
Quad Dog said:

well, professor x was in multiverse of madness, albeit a different universe

jackie childs
i just saw it this afternoon. i liked it, but it just felt like this movie had to be too many different things. i thought it handled the emotional beats much better than the actual storyline and action.
Aggie_Journalist
AG
I think the final episode of Ms Marvel had her friend telling her she had a "mutation."
Thanks and gig'em
TCTTS
AG
Quad Dog said:

Either way, Namor's existence at least confirms that mutants in the MCU have been around for hundreds of years. There was speculation that the mutant gene might be something relatively new or something that evolved post-Endgame, but that's obviously not the case now.
jackie childs
TCTTS said:

Quad Dog said:

Either way, Namor's existence at least confirms that mutants in the MCU have been around for hundreds of years. There was speculation that the mutant gene might be something relatively new or something that evolved post-Endgame, but that's obviously not the case now.
so the x-men are just a bunch of a-holes who sat out the thanos fight?
TCTTS
AG
Ha, honestly, that's always been my problem going that route. If in the MCU, I've always thought mutants should be a new evolution, post-Endgame - or, if not - in their own, separate universe outside of the MCU. The route Feige has seemingly chosen, though, potentially leaves quite a bit to be explained. I'm sure they have a plan, and that it'll most likely work/ be fine, but I really am curious to see how this is all going to be handled.
rhutton125
AG
Not all mutants are X-Men, and odds are, during that 1-hour battle in upstate New York against Thanos, you had one telepath in a wheelchair, one master of magnetism somewhere across the world, sleeping Apocalypse somewhere, maybe an amnesiac Wolverine, and MAYBE a few teenagers at Xavier's school. Any of whom may have just been un-blipped, and very few of whom had any way to get to the battle.

Now if the X-Men movie comes out and they've got a full roster of super soldiers then it might be a little sus. But the "X-Men" most likely don't exist yet.
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, that sounds about like how they'll have to do it.
fig96
AG
TCTTS said:

Quad Dog said:

Kinda but not necessarily.

Namor didn't spontaneously mutate because of a latent gene, his mother ingested something that caused him to mutate. I think this may have been intentionally written as something different than the tradition Marvel comics mutation (more along the lines of Terrigen mist/Inhumans).
Quad Dog
AG
rhutton125 said:

Not all mutants are X-Men, and odds are, during that 1-hour battle in upstate New York against Thanos, you had one telepath in a wheelchair, one master of magnetism somewhere across the world, sleeping Apocalypse somewhere, maybe an amnesiac Wolverine, and MAYBE a few teenagers at Xavier's school. Any of whom may have just been un-blipped, and very few of whom had any way to get to the battle.

Now if the X-Men movie comes out and they've got a full roster of super soldiers then it might be a little sus. But the "X-Men" most likely don't exist yet.

They could also immediately jump into a version of X-Men vs. Avengers from the recent comics. Where the X-Men refused to help fight a global threat because why would they help humanity that hates them?
amercer
AG
In the original Infinity Gauntlet comics the X-Men were the major protagonists (at least this is my memory as a kid who's favorite comic books were the mutant ones )

So the one thing that kind of bummed me out about the MCU was that the X-Men couldn't fight Thanos. Can't imagine they address that with "well they were around but didn't want to be involved"
tysker
AG
Quote:

Namor and the Atlanteans did and the Battle of NY.
The Blip must have been super confusing
Quad Dog
AG
If a wizard didn't show up and teleport you to the battlefield, how were you supposed to know where and when to fight?
rhutton125
AG
Exactly. The finales in all the Avengers movies have been brief and impossible to anticipate.

And Namor not revealing himself to the world is exactly in line with his MO. Even if the Chitauri destroyed the entire planet... what's that to him? He has no love for the surface world. As long as Talokan is safe, which it would continue to be.
CoachRTM
AG
- The silent Marvel logo with all Chadwick (right after his funeral) was one of the most emotional moments I've ever experienced in a movie theater.

- I thought Namor was one of the most well-done villains in all of Marvel. I was genuinely trying to find a way for him to be a good guy. Marvel is truly best-in-class when it comes to weaving culture into their characters.

- Michael B Jordan got an audible gasp in the theater. Not many people saw that one coming.

There were definitely some questionable things in the movie (randomly planted water bombs in Wakanda?) but overall, I'd give it a B+ or so. Not near the top, but not near the bottom either.
Quad Dog
AG
Couple nitpicks I thought of:

Riri shoots down a drone with a arm mounted cannon of some kind at 30,000 feet and it just happens to crash into the roadblock on the bridge. That's an impressive shot.

One of the location chyrons that appeared at the bottom of the screen read "Atlantic Ocean" Thanks for narrowing that down.

How did everyone learn to speak ancient Aztec at the end so they could threaten/taunt their enemies.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Saw it last night and greatly enjoyed it. It was way better than I expected and one of my favorite MCU movies so far. The scale and scope had an Avengers-level feel to it. Onscreen Wakanda is still the best and most unique setting in the MCU, but I had zero desire to make fun of the Atlanteans and their underwater city. I also didn't hate Namor, which is a big difference from the comics. I was just blown away at how they made everything work. It was Shuri's story when it was all said and done, and it was a perfect hero's journey.

My only real gripe was the random throw-in of Riri Williams. I feel like the though process was: hey, Riri Williams is also black, female, young, and brilliant. Let's put her in the movie to be friends with Shuri because they have so much in common! They also didn't give her any more character than that, which annoyed me. Out of all the gender/race swaps of classic charactersin the comics (Asian Hulk, female Thor, female Hawkeye, Black Captain Amercia, etc) , she and Nova are the only ones I actually really like. And she has almost zero character in this story besides being black, smart, and female. Luckily she gets her own show and they can give her a personality the next time around.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
jackie childs said:

TCTTS said:

Quad Dog said:

The Debt
Best movie of the MCU since Endgame
johncAG
AG
I loved pretty much everything about this movie except the Riri set-up. I wish we could have had a Storm inclusion instead but I guess Marvel is not ready for X-Men just yet. I still hope that Ironheart gets fleshed out better in her own show and I will be watching it.

After 3 days, I have gone from this being right under original Black Panther for me to actually being pretty equal grounds. Its tough to say that without Chadwick but the music from Wakanda Forever is still stuck in my head (the album on Spotify is in my shuffle now). M'Baku was great and Shuri flew up my character ratings after this. Great acting and I hope this means another Killmonger cameo could happen when things get multi-versal.

Namor's change was amazing and he got some of the best reactions from the theater I was at.
AMW2010
AG
I'm not exactly sure how I felt by the movie… definitely didn't hate it… didn't love it… I'd say solid B-…. Everything that I liked about it involved Namor.

I get it… this movie was about grieving the passing of Chadwick…. But it's like when you feel the movie is about to move on from that, bam back in your face, like a never ending loop the entire movie.

The movie felt reallllllly long and slow at stages. At one point, I looked at my watch and was like it's only been a little over an hour.

Good movie, just sooooo much sadness. Looking forward to the future… also maybe it's just me… but these movies sure take some punches that white people are the devil
PlanoAggie
AG
I totally agree with you Aggie_Journalist.
Juan Solo
AG
It would be kind of cool if they showed mutants present throughout the mcu like in the opening sequence to Watchmen
i is smart
AG
rhutton125 said:

Agreed, there would be no way Charles would have sat on the sidelines without a damn good reason. Also, either Cap or an Avenger with a gift of 1.75 liters of Jack Daniel's would have brought Wolverine into the fight if he was available.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Quote:

either Cap or an Avenger with a gift of 1.75 liters of Jack Daniel's would have brought Wolverine into the fight if he was available.
#FJB
cav14
fig96 said:

TCTTS said:

Quad Dog said:

Kinda but not necessarily.

Namor didn't spontaneously mutate because of a latent gene, his mother ingested something that caused him to mutate. I think this may have been intentionally written as something different than the tradition Marvel comics mutation (more along the lines of Terrigen mist/Inhumans).
Exactly. The MCU seems to be establishing that a mutation does not simply happen because somebody has a mutant gene, but there is also some sort of external thing that triggers the mutation. For Kamala Khan, it was her wearing the bangles that activated her mutant gene. For Namor, it was the stuff his mom drank. For many other mutants that show up in the MCU, it could be the multiple snaps of the infinity stones.
rhutton125
AG
I think it'll be both. Sometimes it's an origin story (Namor, Kamala), sometimes it just happens and suddenly you're shooting lasers out of your eyes. Maybe it manifests during trauma, maybe not.

The important thing at this point is that it seems to be happening sporadically, but perhaps increasingly, so the majority of mutants will probably be young and new. But at least Namor predates the Blip, so it's not caused world-wide by anything we've seen on film.
jackie childs
rhutton125 said:

I think it'll be both. Sometimes it's an origin story (Namor, Kamala), sometimes it just happens and suddenly you're shooting lasers out of your eyes. Maybe it manifests during trauma, maybe not.

The important thing at this point is that it seems to be happening sporadically, but perhaps increasingly, so the majority of mutants will probably be young and new. But at least Namor predates the Blip, so it's not caused world-wide by anything we've seen on film.
another possibility would be some multiverse shenanigans.

what if they did a reverse "house of m" story? our first movie with the x-men and our other favorite mutants could be set in an alternate universe with fully-formed characters. then at the end, wanda says "no more mutants", but instead of dying, they get sent to the main MCU universe.
amercer
AG
The mutant gene can be whatever the writers need it to be.

I assume for namor he was already a mutant in the womb and that's what allowed him to survive when his mom drank the goo and turned into a fish woman.

Discovering your power via trauma makes for the best origin stories anyway
Ghost of Bisbee
AG
I just did not enjoy this one but. Marvel is what it is. It will never be as good as Iron Man '08
BenFiasco14
AG
It was pretty good I guess. Agree with a lot of the feedback here. Some things that bugged me-

- never explained or acknowledged how Shuri survived being gutted by a spear. I think we got a glimpse of the suit sealing the hole but what about you know, her insides?

-final battle ended abruptly and with zero stakes after. Namors vague "Wakanda will call to us" was lame.

-as mentioned, the declaration by the mountain main he wants to challenge for the throne, then no follow
Up or explanation

-agree the Riri Williams character was awful as well as the set up

-Freeman and Louis Dreyfus involvement seemed completely unnecessary

-worst of all, I did not like Shuri as black Panther at all. The sudden hair style change and putting on a "tough" face seemed contrived. I really wish they would've gone the route of bringing Killmonger back somehow and having him redeem himself and be BP. That said, seeing Michael b Jordan back was a nice surprise

-mid credits scene … I don't understand why everyone's so hyped about it? Is that Bosemans real son or something? Ok so maybe in 20 years he can be the fifth black Panther? And who seriously would think living in Haiti is safer than Wakanda?

- lots of unanswered questions on the Atlanteans, er, water Aztecs. Also - were they Blipped? Any knowledge of that? They really chose to reveal themselves after the machine detected vibranium
But not when half their population was wiped out? Just didn't add up.

Overall like I said it was okay but overall forgettable. The fights between spear woman and blue hunk were cool.
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
jeffk
AG
Saw it today and liked it. Most of my general complaints have already been covered but I also though the CGI on some of the fight scenes was kind of choppy and unpolished too - and I usually don't notice that because I guess I have a pretty low bar in that area.

Pretty heavy film overall but I enjoyed it.
jeffk
AG
Oh and "Why would I have your number?" slayed me.
jokershady
AG
In our seats in Alamo Drsfthouse in Katy.

2nd marvel movie to see in theatres

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.