*** BLACK PANTHER: WAKANDA FOREVER *** (Spoilers)

12,343 Views | 141 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by ABATTBQ11
Ghost of Bisbee
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
All my left leaning friends love this movie.
That doesn't ring true for any of my right leaning friends who saw this
BenFiasco14
AG
Then why are you even posting in this thread? Lol

I agree though the point has been made ad nauseum. I'm pretty sure everyone agrees Phase 4 has been pretty weak. BUT, I truly believe that what they pulled off with Infinity War/Endgame will just never be matched … by Marvel or anyone else for that matter.

If you can accept that reality, these newer properties can still be enjoyable popcorn fare.
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
Ghost of Bisbee
AG
It was much much better in phase one with Iron Man '08
dave94
AG
Ghost of Bisbee said:

But to be honest, you can't compare that to what is now the reality of following up the past ten years of buildup to Endgame.

I've found the phase four movies to range from meh to very entertaining. They haven't resonated at all like what we've seen before, but I have been okay with that.

It's actually been kind of nice to watch a movie or series and not be so delved into some overarching story. I've enjoyed the more contained storylines, with now just a hint of what's coming.
The Debt
I'm surprised this one hasn't been nominated for best film yet
BenFiasco14
AG
Ghost of Bisbee said:

Ok I understand now this is a troll schtick of yours. But yeah. Iron Man was awesome huh. It's got this washed up actor named Robert Downey Jr.
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
YellowPot_97
AG
Ghost of Bisbee said:

Dude we get it. You like Iron Man '08 and think the MCU peaked in its first movie 14 years ago. You don't need to bring it up half a dozen times while talking about BP.
Ghost of Bisbee
AG
It's just tough that the start was as strong as it was to what we now have. Iron Man was a universally great movie
-Ben There/R.C.
docaggie
AG
I feel like this movie had two purposes. One, express the grief of Chadwick dying. Two, introduce a variety of characters for other series / movies in the future: a new black panther, namor, ironheart
It just feels like an intermediary chapter, setting the stage for other things rather than telling a compelling story.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
AgfromHOU
AG
I really enjoyed this movie. I got choked up quite a few times because of who Chadwick Boseman was and how he lived his life. Everything in this movie felt more real to me, almost as if it wasn't a Marvel movie, but an action drama instead.

At parts I did feel like I was watching Avatar 2 from the viewpoint of the humans.
AG
I finally saw the movie this morning with the kids. I enjoyed it, and I think 30 minutes could have been cut. For those of you who grew up or follow comics, I am not a fan of retconning an origin of a character, but I absolutely loved they did it with Namor for the movies as too many causal fans would have thought Namor to be an Aquaman copy. For those questioning Shuri not killing Namor, I was pleased. I was thinking how he would survive as he is too big of a player moving forward in stories in my opinion. The movie had warts, but I found myself entertained, and I think it is a fitting ending for phase 4. Hopefully Ant-Man and phase 5 step it up as this phase has been Ho-hum for me.
maroon barchetta
Saw it Friday with my wife. Theater was 40% full.

Lots of good parts of the movie. Really liked the way they did world building of sorts with the underwater city.

We left saying it was enjoyable but felt incomplete. Agree with the above that some of it could have been cut.

It was obvious when it was revealed how Namor's mother ingested the magic herb elixir while he was in the womb that Shuri would synthesize that bracelet he gave her into the Wakanda heart shaped herb. But that's ok.

The MIT student with the knockoff Iron Man suit was annoying. That whole part of the movie could have been removed and it would have been fine.

Ready for Ant Man.
maroon barchetta
Forgot to add…

The tributes to Boseman at the beginning and end were so well done. Still hard to believe a young healthy guy with the whole world at his fingertips could be taken from that world.
TexasAggie_02
AG
finally saw it, it was decent. they did the best they could under the circumstances.

I thought that I was weird that with all of their technology that Wakanda did not have a seed vault for the heart shaped herb. I know killmonger burned the plantings, but come on there had to be a stash somewhere, that is just poor planning. Also surprised that they had never mapped the genome for it. Also, since Shuri based her GMO heart shaped herb on the DNA of the plant in the bracelet, she did not turn blue or grow gills, lol.

The fact that some of Namor's people were blue with gills, and others weren't was kind of weird. But I guess the blue ones are hundreds of years old, drank the potion and grew gills; while the others were born down there and can breathe air and water?
jeffk
AG
I thought they only turned blue when they were out of the water?
GreasenUSA
AG
Finally watched tonight with the release on Disney+. First time in many years I haven't seen an MCU movie in the theater, but Thor was so bad that I just had no desire to go.

Going in with the lower expectations, I found this to be more interesting than the first Black Panther. Great tributes to Chadwick Boseman. I'd rank this one in the upper half of the Phase 4 movies, which has been consistently mediocre outside of Spider-Man.
Max Power
AG
I watched this yesterday on Disney+ and this pretty well summarizes how I'm feeling. It was overall just pretty forgettable IMO. I do think it established how difficult/impossible it is to replace Boseman, similarly to it's just about impossible to replace RDJ as Iron Man. I enjoyed Namor but I do agree the entire story seemed a bit derivative of Black Panther itself. Killmonger appearance was great, MBJ is so good. I'm just really disappointed with this film compared to Black Panther, which is great. The Riri part was also weak, they just shoe-horned her in when that time could have been better spent with Namor and his people. They should have cut her out as well as the entire storyline with the Americans, I just don't think it added anything to a story that was already pretty weak.

The suits made for the Dora Milaje were just dumb looking, especially juxtaposed with the Black Panther suit which is great.

I do think Marvel and Coogler were put in an impossible position, I just don't know that this movie needed to be made.

The mid-credit scene bothers me. So her brother, who she's so close with, has a son who lives in Haiti. Their mother knows about him, but Shuri doesn't. That's just lazy storytelling IMO, it's not even fan service, it's dumb. A prince that no one knows about that grows up away from Wakanda is supposed to show up one day and become their king?
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
I also finally watched it last night and this is also pretty much my overall sentiment.

Pros
- Namor (literally found myself rooting for him at times)
- Ryan Coogler making a watchable movie out of almost nothing
- Angela Bassett
- The soundtrack AND the score
- Winston Duke

Cons
- No Chadwick =(
- The pacing in the third act felt off, rushed almost; weird considering the length of the whole movie
- Riri
- How quickly/easily Lupita was able to infiltrate, rescue, and egress
bearamedic99
AG
I just saw this movie on D+. I should have seen it in theaters. It was a beautiful movie visually.

Everything HNiC nailed my thoughts.

Just to repeat some of the other big points.
-No way in the world HAITI would be a safer place. Why not raise him in Wakanda in a remote location or such.
- To add to this, this movie kicks off a year after T'Challa's passing. But the boy was at least 4 years old? WTF?
-The armor for Okoye and the other Dora was ugly.
-Awesome salvage work after Chadwick died.

Minor pet peeve that there wasn't much furthering of overall MCU arch other than Val.

And hooray! We had a fantastic villain who will be around in the future. Though I doubt we'll see this Namora in any New Warriors.

Last, when Ramonda was speaking to other nations, why were there no Dora Milaje with her? Do the face mask guys with have a title?
Noblemen06
AG
Also finally saw it on D+. Such a mixed bag - thought Bassett was great (unsurprisingly) and wanted more & more Namor screen time. Couldn't get past Iron Heart moments fast enough and thought it dragged on in several areas. Vehicle chase scenes and final battles are becoming very redundant in superhero movies. Can't wait to be thrilled by one again. I respect the difficulty of picking up the pieces after Boseman's death but I didn't care for it, ultimately, and will probably never see it again.
AggieLitigator
Finally saw it on Disney plus and it was pretty awful. It's not something I'll watch again.
The Porkchop Express
bearamedic99 said:

- To add to this, this movie kicks off a year after T'Challa's passing. But the boy was at least 4 years old? WTF?

The Snap.
TXAG 05
AG
About halfway through this movie and it is not good.
BIMS O1
AG
Watched it last night and almost fell asleep several times. I'm a pretty big fan of the mcu and just found the entire story to be pretty lacking.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
rhutton125
AG
It's a bummer. I think there are just too many characters. Ramona practically exits the film when Nakia enters.

IMO the whole thing would be a lot better if you left out Aneka and Riri and maybe have Nakia, Okoye, M'Baku Ross more to do.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
M'Baku needs a vibranium club. He broke one every fight.
AgLiving06
Definitely Not A Cop said:

M'Baku needs a vibranium club. He broke one every fight.

He was the highlight of the movie for me. I really like his character.
Tom Kazansky 2012
AG
Finally saw this. Wife and I were pretty excited to check it out. Thought it was awful. We were super let down. Just super predictable and cheesy. Insta iron man suit was so forced. Rando new Mayan Wakanda.

The whole thing was pretty meh.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Will they address the collapse of the Wakandan religion with the discovery of the Atlanteans?

Also, it would be kind of cool if they tied back all the mutants to descendants from either the Atlanteans or the Wakandans who had eaten the magic fruit.
The Dirty Sock
I went in with super low expectations and I didn't think it was bad. Even with all my favorite youtube reviewers bringing it down I wanted to hate it, especially with all the "white people, colonial world bad" substance but I was entertained for a few hours. Could have done without the black female probably lesbian iron man though. Another hot take, I thought it was better than the first Black Panther movie (not that high a bar really).

3 out of 5 Yibambe's
LB12Diamond
AG
Another average one since End Game.

Ready for a solid one.

Black Widow is the only one I have liked.
Madmarttigan
AG
I finally watched this. I actually thought it was the best movie of this phase besides Spider-Man. It definitely had more heart than any of them.

Ironheart or Riri or whatever her name is was really trying to drag this movie down though. To imagine her as a replacement for Tony Stark pains me.

Remove her and it could have been a lot better.
Formerly tv1113
AustinAg2K
I'm in the middle of watching this now, and I'm sure this has probably been asked somewhere in this thread, but why is a college girl who has built a vibranium detector, Iron Man suit, and a quantum computer worried about her differential equations class?
Decay
AG
Because like most college kids, she has plenty of time for all sorts of social and extracurricular activities, but as soon as you need their help with something they've got to study for the huge exam they've been worried about for weeks
ABATTBQ11
AG
That bothered me too. Plus she's like a freshman or sophomore and already doing all of this work for other students as a side hustle. She should have graduated high school at like 12 and already been working on a PhD.

The other thing is that she built her suit, complete with paint job, in like a week. It took tiny months of iterations.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.