*** BLACK PANTHER: WAKANDA FOREVER *** (Spoilers)

12,360 Views | 141 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by ABATTBQ11
jokershady
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
rhutton125
AG
https://www.ign.com/articles/riri-williams-mcguffin-black-panther-wakanda-forever
jeffk
AG
So were the Atlanteans invulnerable to all weapons? They go shot and stabbed and went down but apparently recovered almost immediately.
BowSowy
AG
jeffk said:

So were the Atlanteans invulnerable to all weapons? They go shot and stabbed and went down but apparently recovered almost immediately.
Only one that I remember dying was some random woman who got hit by the sonic ray gun by Nakia. In fact, when Shuri had a spear to Namor's neck about to "finish him off", I was wondering if she could even kill him like that.

Those Atlanteans sure did seem very OP
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, I couldn't figure out how vulnerable they were, or why they were so strong to begin with, how they trained, etc. Just felt like there was zero explanation about any of that. I'm sure there was some line of expositional voice over in a flashback or something that I missed, but I needed more than that regardless.
Aggie_Journalist
AG
I just assumed their bodies are super strong because they have to be to handle the intense pressure of living underwater

That's how other movies explain the super strength of underwater monsters or societies.

And then I assumed none of them died because this is Disney
Thanks and gig'em
BoydCrowder13
Anyone else think the MCU is course correcting a little too hard on the male vs female heroes?

New heroes over the past few years:
Shuri Black Panther
She Hulk
Kate Bishop
Ms. Marvel
Sylvie
America Chavez
Cassie Lang as a new Wasp
Yelena
Captain Marvel
Thor's adopted daughter Love
Riri Williams

New guy heroes
Daredevil
Moon Knight
Sam Wilson Captain America
Shang Chi

I like most of the new characters but just something I've noticed.
TCTTS
AG
I would have gladly traded the screen time Riri's storyline took up for more Namor & co, in a heartbeat, in order to get more insight into them. That entire plotline was so incredibly forced, and made zero sense.

First of all, we didn't need yet *another* young female genius in the same movie, but whatever. It was more how they used her. It was not only ridiculous that she invented a Vibranium detector that literally no one else could, but where it really lost me was that the government already had her plans, built one of them, and could presumably build more if need be. So Namor killing Riri wouldn't have solved any of his problems. The machine was already built and in the hands of our government. So his beef should have been with them, right? Is there something I'm missing?

Either way, that's two Marvel movies in a row now where a special/super powered teen girl was introduced in a hamfisted way, as a sidekick to the main character, that allowed for next to no character development, who felt shoehorned as some kind of convenient MacGuffin.
BowSowy
AG
TCTTS said:

Yeah, I couldn't figure out how vulnerable they were, or why they were so strong to begin with, how they trained, etc. Just felt like there was zero explanation about any of that. I'm sure there was some line of expositional voice over in a flashback or something that I missed, but I needed more than that regardless.
I think they made them too strong. They disposed of all Wakanda had with ease, save Namor vs Black Panther. I get that Namor yielded and the "honorable" thing would be to pull back. But damn, that guy was talking about wiping out everyone on land and he talked about how he had no love for people on land (hell, it's the basis for his name). His forces had zero problem with Wakandans and apparently can barely die. Seems like his character should've said "F this" when he saw how they overpowered the Wakandans and just finished the job.
MBAR
AG
I guess ya'll missed that hugely important scene involving Namor's mother and her tribe where they all ate the equivalent of the heart shaped herb?
BenFiasco14
AG
Daredevil and Falcon aren't new.
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
MBAR
AG
BoydCrowder13 said:

Anyone else think the MCU is course correcting a little too hard on the male vs female heroes?

Shuri Black Panther
She Hulk
Kate Bishop
Ms. Marvel
Sylvie
America Chavez
Yelena
Captain Marvel
Riri Williams

New guy heroes
Daredevil
Moon Knight
Shang Chi

For some reason, they may be shooting for having half of the heroes be women.
BowSowy
AG
MBAR said:

I guess ya'll missed that hugely important scene involving Namor's mother and her tribe where they all ate the equivalent of the heart shaped herb?
True, I hadn't thought about how all of Talokan has Black Panther level abilities. Feels like a massive civilization of Black Panthers who have access to Vibranium and hate anyone living on earth would be a massive villain for the MCU, right? I'd love if they explored that threat further.

Unrelated, I was worried about how they'd shoehorn Shuri's technology creating new heart shaped herbs into the story. But I quite liked how they used the material from the bracelet to solve the problem.
BoydCrowder13
MBAR said:

BoydCrowder13 said:

Shuri Black Panther
She Hulk
Kate Bishop
Ms. Marvel
Sylvie
America Chavez
Yelena
Captain Marvel
Riri Williams

New guy heroes
Daredevil
Moon Knight
Shang Chi

For some reason, they may be shooting for having half of the heroes be women.

I mean most of the male ones have retired or are gone.
TCTTS
AG
MBAR said:

Didn't miss it, but it wasn't clear that if ingested, their powers passed on to their offspring, and then on and on through the generations. Throw in the whole mutation thing with Namor, and it was just information/exposition overload, in such a short period of time, told via voice over in a flashback, to the point where I was just like, wait what? I guess it makes sense now, but in the moment it was too much.
BoydCrowder13
BenFiasco14 said:

Daredevil and Falcon aren't new.

New to the MCU for Daredevil and Falcon got promoted (aka he'll be around for a while)
toucan82
Now that I think about it, the powers from the herb getting inherited by Namor's people doesn't make sense because they don't seem to get passed to the Black Panther's offspring

Someone signal a nerd alert
TCTTS
AG
Ha, great point!

The movie obviously gets a pass because of what they had to go through to reconfigure the entire thing, but man, the more time I've had away from it, the less sense it makes. I absolutely love the core conceit of the Wakandans vs the Talokans, those two super powers colliding, etc, and Namor was awesome. It was such a cool set up for a sequel. I just wish anything beyond the set up stood up to any real scrutiny.
Ghost of Bisbee
AG
I'm trying to like it. I am. I just go back to iron man '08

What happened to the Twitter thread?
TCTTS
AG
I posted in the Twitter thread just before bed, then woke up this morning and it was gone. I'm guessing it finally went off the rails and staff nuked it.
jeffk
AG
MBAR said:

Nah, I got that. I just didn't think the herb made your unarmored body impervious to bullets and stab wounds from spears.

I suppose living at the bottom of the ocean could cause that? Idk. I liked the movie, but like two minutes of exposition could have answered a ton of my questions about this cool race of people.
rhutton125
AG
BoydCrowder13 said:

Shuri Black Panther
She Hulk
Kate Bishop
Ms. Marvel
Sylvie
America Chavez
Yelena
Captain Marvel
Riri Williams

New guy heroes
Daredevil
Moon Knight
Shang Chi

The women are more prominent for sure, but there are also new men being introduced with each property.

A few more that we know will be returning:

Women:
Val
Taskmaster
Shang-Chi's sister
Layla (presumably - if they do more Moon Knight)
Echo
Elsa Bloodstone (courtesy spoiler warning for Werewolf by Night)
Some Eternals

Men:
Red Guardian
Namor
US Agent
Hercules
Werewolf by Night
Man-Thing (courtesy spoiler warning for Werewolf by Night)
Some Eternals

We also know we'll be getting Fantastic Four soon (one woman, three men), and eventually X-Men (pretty even but more men), and Blade, Nova, Wonder Man, etc. So there's still plenty of testosterone to be had.
fig96
AG
Also some minor characters that could play bigger roles like Joaquin Torres and Eli Bradley.
jokershady
AG
Yeah I was not a fan of this….I can think of one or two moments where I chuckled and another one or two moments where I thought, "yeah that was cool/interesting." And that's it….over the course of nearly a 3 hour movie….not good.

The most touching part of the tribute to Boseman was the marvel logo…theatre was completely quiet during that moment.

The whole 19 year old super genius thing was hands down the most distracting and annoying part of the film….so she's invented a machine to detect vibranium and yet our bad guy wants to kill her AFTER the machine has been invented??? And then she makes an iron man suit in a montage that takes place over a week (or even less as it's not clear after feather feet leaves from his first attack).

Did we all forget how long it took super genius Tony Stark to get it right?

The one character I enjoyed seeing more of in this was the real big dude who was the leader of the clan in the snowy mountain area….his extra screen time was fun to watch…

If anything this movie made me appreciate how much Chadwick Boseman meant to this franchise and how much his presence on screen meant to the MCU.

I enjoyed Thor L&T more than this….
Ghost of Bisbee
AG
TCTTS said:

I posted in the Twitter thread just before bed, then woke up this morning and it was gone. I'm guessing it finally went off the rails and staff nuked it.

Taken down by F16 incels
TCTTS
AG
This is my surprised face.
jeffk
AG
What was the general topic?
TCTTS
AG
I started a dumb thread a couple nights ago, in the wake of the mass exodus of employees from Twitter, basically saying that if Twitter goes down, TexAgs is going to have to step up our game in terms of providing (and combing for) entertainment news, since a number of us get our entertainment news from Twitter. The whole thing was clearly a bit tongue-in-cheek - I literally said I was half-joking - but then made the grave mistake of taking a slight, off-handed dig at Elon in one half of one sentence, in the same post. Suddenly, I was an idiot for thinking Elon wasn't playing 4D chess and had the whole thing under control, or that Twitter didn't need to be burned to the ground, etc. Even though I said multiple times I didn't really think it was going under. It of course turned into a giant sh*t show, and when I woke up the next morning, the thread was gone. Sounds like it got even worse before being nuked.
jeffk
AG
Lol. I can clearly visualize exactly how that played out.
fig96
AG
The "expertise" people have about tech companies regarding all this is hilarious.
Ghost of Bisbee
AG
I work in a tech company and even I don't have a pulse on the crazy **** these companies do
lunchbox
Just got out of the movie.

I understand the need for this movie, but my first thought was "this movie should have been an email."
MBAR
AG
TCTTS said:

I started a dumb thread a couple nights ago, in the wake of the mass exodus of employees from Twitter, basically saying that if Twitter goes down, TexAgs is going to have to step up our game in terms of providing (and combing for) entertainment news, since a number of us get our entertainment news from Twitter. The whole thing was clearly a bit tongue-in-cheek - I literally said I was half-joking - but then made the grave mistake of taking a slight, off-handed dig at Elon in one half of one sentence, in the same post. Suddenly, I was an idiot for thinking Elon wasn't playing 4D chess and had the whole thing under control, or that Twitter didn't need to be burned to the ground, etc. Even though I said multiple times I didn't really think it was going under. It of course turned into a giant sh*t show, and when I woke up the next morning, the thread was gone. Sounds like it got even worse before being nuked.
Wait, there are people actually think Elon knows what he's doing and not simply lighting money on fire? I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but damn.
Ryan the Temp
AG
lunchbox said:

Just got out of the movie.

I understand the need for this movie, but my first thought was "this movie should have been an email."
Agreed. It was just too long and too slow. Then, when the action happened, it was very cliche and suddenly it was over when they did the thing that was suggested they do before the big battle happened. I also think Angela Bassett deserved a better death than that.
Dr. Teeth
AG
rhutton125 said:

BoydCrowder13 said:

Shuri Black Panther
She Hulk
Kate Bishop
Ms. Marvel
Sylvie
America Chavez
Yelena
Captain Marvel
Riri Williams

New guy heroes
Daredevil
Moon Knight
Shang Chi

The women are more prominent for sure, but there are also new men being introduced with each property.

A few more that we know will be returning:

Women:
Val
Taskmaster
Shang-Chi's sister
Layla (presumably - if they do more Moon Knight)
Echo
Elsa Bloodstone (courtesy spoiler warning for Werewolf by Night)
Some Eternals

Men:
Red Guardian
Namor
US Agent
Hercules
Werewolf by Night
Man-Thing (courtesy spoiler warning for Werewolf by Night)
Some Eternals

We also know we'll be getting Fantastic Four soon (one woman, three men), and eventually X-Men (pretty even but more men), and Blade, Nova, Wonder Man, etc. So there's still plenty of testosterone to be had.
I am getting to the point that I'm just going to ignore anything post-Endgame.

Just like I dismiss Indiana Jones IV and Star Wars 7-9 as bad fan-fiction.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.