The Super Mario Bros Movie

39,058 Views | 436 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Brian Earl Spilner
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
"Who's this random Japanese man?"

- Grace Randolph
TCTTS
AG

double aught
AG
jokershady
AG
That's awesome!!

I can remember being at A&M and going to the midnight premiere of The Simpsons Movie and having an absolute blast with the packed theatre there.

That should be a ton of fun!
Beckdiesel03
AG
Got online this morning to get our tickets for Friday afternoon and almost didn't get the 10 seats we need. Got 8 kiddos who are pumped about going.
Gigem314
AG
Max Power said:

DallasTeleAg said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Audience score will be way more revealing for this movie.
That made me start thinking about past movies with the widest difference between critic and audience. It seems very rare that a movie is below 50% but still gets above 80% with the audience. I tried to ask ChatGPT to make me a list, but it just could not grasp the idea and kept giving me different ranges.

However, some that came up were:

"Tremors" (1990) - Critics Score: 50%, Audience Score: 85%
"The Boondock Saints" (1999) - Critics Score: 20%, Audience Score: 91%
"Major League" (1989) - Critics Score: 50%, Audience Score: 89%
"Can't Hardly Wait" (1998) - Critics Score: 42%, Audience Score: 80%

It didn't give me an animated movie under 50% critic and over 80% audience, though that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I'm too lazy to actually go check Rotten Tomatoes.
Being able to link a film to Tremors instantly takes it up a notch for me, regardless of anything else in her career I doubt Reba McIntire ever tops killing a tremor in her basement.

Nanomachines son
TCTTS said:

Grace Randolph has entered the chat…

I am convinced that none of these people have ever played a single Mario game in their lives.
Nanomachines son
Beckdiesel03 said:

Got online this morning to get our tickets for Friday afternoon and almost didn't get the 10 seats we need. Got 8 kiddos who are pumped about going.

Same. We're taking my sons Friday night. They love Mario.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
wangus12
AG
TCTTS said:

Grace Randolph has entered the chat…

Is this a legit critic people follow lol
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
I'm wanting this to be like the Mortal Kombat movie from last year. Enough story to function as a bridge to deliver on exactly what I want to see from the video game.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I will get instantly hyped if/when they play ANY music from Super Mario 64.
Nanomachines son
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I will get instantly hyped if/when they play ANY music from Super Mario 64.

Do the Mario is in the movie.
BoydCrowder13
Saw the movie last night.

If you are a fan of the games (especially 64), you'll love it. The story is nothing and the movie should have been about 20 min longer. The soundtrack is very much amazing and then terrible (see track above for random overused 80s songs). But it was a really fun time. Take the kids. They'll love it.
Nanomachines son
BoydCrowder13 said:

If you are a fan of the games (especially 64), you'll love it. The story is nothing and the movie should have been about 20 min longer. The soundtrack is very much amazing and then terrible (see track above for random overused 80s songs). But it was a really fun time. Take the kids. They'll love it.

This is exactly what I wanted to hear. Good to know.
Lathspell
AG
Lol... what?

Did that chick just ask how Mario becomes a cat? Did she also ask why he's wearing a red shirt, has a moustache, or is a plumber?

Yeah... she obviously has no idea what Mario even is.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
https://instagr.am/p/CpnXsqrgq6x
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Nice.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Ok, I've been playing Mario for over 30 years and this blew my mind.

The mushroom sound is the "level complete" music sped way up.

jeffk
johnnyblaze36
AG
Just saw it in 3D and D Box seating and loved every minute of it. The voice acting was great as I expected and the animation or whatever is all excellent. A very fun watch. I can't imagine a "critic" not liking it because of the lack of some mind blowing plot. I even thought the story was pretty good.

I don't have kids but agree with Boyd's post above. If you have kids they'll have a blast and so will you if you are a fan at all of Mario world and all that implies.
johnnyblaze36
AG
Not really a spoiler (I don't think) but there are a lot of songs that were great that aren't on that track listing.
BoydCrowder13
johnnyblaze36 said:

Just saw it in 3D and D Box seating and loved every minute of it. The voice acting was great as I expected and the animation or whatever is all excellent. A very fun watch. I can't imagine a "critic" not liking it because of the lack of some mind blowing plot. I even thought the story was pretty good.

I don't have kids but agree with Boyd's post above. If you have kids they'll have a blast and so will you if you are a fan at all of Mario world and all that implies.

Grace Randolph calling it "problematic" that Bowser was into Peach while also admitting to never playing the games is the best example of out-of-touch movie reviewer.
BadMoonRisin
AG
BoydCrowder13 said:

Something tells me that Super Mario 64 was your favorite in the series.

Glad you liked it. Kids are stoked for Friday
Max Power
AG
Claude! said:

Max Power said:

DallasTeleAg said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Audience score will be way more revealing for this movie.
That made me start thinking about past movies with the widest difference between critic and audience. It seems very rare that a movie is below 50% but still gets above 80% with the audience. I tried to ask ChatGPT to make me a list, but it just could not grasp the idea and kept giving me different ranges.

However, some that came up were:

"Tremors" (1990) - Critics Score: 50%, Audience Score: 85%
"The Boondock Saints" (1999) - Critics Score: 20%, Audience Score: 91%
"Major League" (1989) - Critics Score: 50%, Audience Score: 89%
"Can't Hardly Wait" (1998) - Critics Score: 42%, Audience Score: 80%

It didn't give me an animated movie under 50% critic and over 80% audience, though that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I'm too lazy to actually go check Rotten Tomatoes.
Being able to link a film to Tremors instantly takes it up a notch for me, regardless of anything else in her career I doubt Reba McIntire ever tops killing a tremor in her basement.
I dunno - "Fancy" was a banger of a song.
Every time Reba comes on the radio I turn to my wife (who both loves Reba and hates Tremors) and ask "Did you know that Reba McIntire was in Tremors?"

If I'm flipping through the guide on TV and I see Tremors playing I make it a point to ask my wife "Tremors is on, did you know Reba McIntire is in that movie?"

It has yet to get old.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Fantastic. Just the type of review I was hoping to see from actual gamers.

Two hours for my showtime. IMAX and the seats are filling up quick. Stoked.
AMW2010
AG
What a fun movie!

So much to unpack.
Wish there was more Luigi.
The original music and sounds from the game were awesome and hidden all over the movie.
Do wish it was about 20 minutes longer and we saw more power ups

There is 2 post credit scenes.

Hopefully this movie is successful and stems more Nintendo movies based in this universe
Vince Blake
My kids loved it, especially my 11-year-old who is a Mario fanatic. Definitely hits on a lot of the right notes from the games. If I have any complaint, its that it feels very rushed. Like maybe we will get a Mario Brothers Snyder cut at some point.
dtkprowler
AG
Great movie. Not gonna blow your mind story-wise, but neither is any Mario GAME. Call outs to other Mario and old Nintendo games was super cool. And my 5 year old loved it too!

-1 star for the Seth Rogan laughs
BadMoonRisin
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Ok, I've been playing Mario for over 30 years and this blew my mind.

The mushroom sound is the "level complete" music sped way up.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Fun movie. I definitely feel like it could've benefited from an extra 20 minutes so it didn't feel so rushed, but that was pretty much exactly the movie it needed to be to start a cinematic universe.

A ton of Easter eggs as expected. I do wish there was more Mario 64 stuff, but that's my only complaint in that area.

Jack Black stole the movie. Make sure to stick around for two post credits scenes.

Peaches, peaches, peaches...
TCTTS
AG
jokershady
AG
Holy crap!!!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The biggest reactions in my theater were probably when we first see the Jungle Kingdom, and several moments with the Kongs.

Once this opens big, expect a Donkey Kong movie announcement.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.