The Super Mario Bros Movie

39,010 Views | 436 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Brian Earl Spilner
Bruce Almighty
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
SF2004 said:

TCTTS said:

Who are you talking about? I haven't seen single poster here "sh*t on" the movie. Yes, a few people said certain aspects could have been a bit better, but I would say every reaction so far has been good to glowing, with a few minor quibbles.

The last few pages are full of the subtle "I'm so cultured" jabs.

You are the worst offender so it doesn't surprise me you don't see it.

Movie was good for a Mario movie and will make bank so you have to hate it so your Hollywood friends will still like you.

You're reading what you want to read.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG

XXXVII
The critics are such POS's. Now I know it's going to be one of the best animated movies released in a while. Always go with the audience scores!

DeSantis 2024

FJB, FJB, FJB, etc
dreyOO
Just saw it with my 10 &11 year olds. We have old school gaming systems and play everything from original Mario's to super smash bros to Mario kart on game nights. This was a blast.

Kids really had fun. I think I enjoyed it more. Smiling the whole way.
johnnyblaze36
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I'm convinced these people have to be paid trolls. But they also have to be making minimum wage considering the level of engagement on that tweet.

I'm no longer a kid, but I once was one, and when I left the theater my first thought walking to the car was "That got five stars from me and wow, I can't believe how far things have come since I was watching cartoons eating cereal in pre-school".

Drahknor03
AG
BoydCrowder13 said:

I hope this makes a $billion and starts a universe.

Imagine the following films:

Zelda
Star Fox
Metroid
Mario Kart
Super Bros

Each of these has enough material for team up films and sequels.

They would print money. Nintendo is sitting on a goldmine.

Culminating in the greatest action movie crossover of all time.

Super Smash Bros, the Movie.
Teacher_Ag
AG
XXXVII said:

The critics are such POS's. Now I know it's going to be one of the best animated movies released in a while. Always go with the audience scores!

A studio could make a Mario movie that goes out of its way to check all of the woke/virtue signal boxes and those two scores would be flip-flopped. Thankfully they obviously made this one to do two things a) entertain families with young kids and b) make bank. The more studios disregard what the critics and vocal 10% wacko crowd thinks and just make the movie they want to make, the better for Hollywood and audiences.
dreyOO
That's what I'm talking about. As a fan first. But as a stock owner as well.
Teacher_Ag
AG
Can we get a Double Dragon movie? The campier the better. That would be hilarious.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Samuel. L. Jackson. Is. Master Hand
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Drahknor03 said:

BoydCrowder13 said:

Zelda
Star Fox
Metroid
Mario Kart
Super Bros

Can't wait to see this level of epicness on the big screen.

c-jags
Teacher_Ag said:

Can we get a Double Dragon movie? The campier the better. That would be hilarious.

It happened. It was worse than SMB or Street Fighter. But very campy if that's what you're asking for.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The Porkchop Express
AG
c-jags said:

Teacher_Ag said:

It happened. It was worse than SMB or Street Fighter. But very campy if that's what you're asking for.
How about a Bad Dudes movie?

Feels so good, feelin' good again.
Ghost of Bisbee
AG
SF2004 said:

TCTTS said:

Who are you talking about? I haven't seen single poster here "sh*t on" the movie. Yes, a few people said certain aspects could have been a bit better, but I would say every reaction so far has been good to glowing, with a few minor quibbles.

The last few pages are full of the subtle "I'm so cultured" jabs.

You are the worst offender so it doesn't surprise me you don't see it.

Movie was good for a Mario movie and will make bank so you have to hate it so your Hollywood friends will still like you.

Bro why so savage
jokershady
AG
Overall thoroughly enjoyed it! Especially Bowser. Holy crap I don't think my kids have ever laughed as hard as they did to Bowser playing the piano and singing about Peach. Perfect casting for Jack Black.

I do wish it was a touch longer as the beginning was so choppy I was worried I wasn't going to like it…..as soon as Luigi was running away from all the baddies I was hooked.

Was honestly really happy they didn't throw so much at us. Obviously there's going to be more movies so they kept the general baddies we saw as only the different versions of the turtles. The ghosts were my all time favorite bad guys in the Mario games so I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with those.

Same thing for the good guys. There's still so many characters they could have thrown at us but just like the first games on NES, they kept it simple….Mario, Luigi, Peach, Toad, Donkey Kong. Great decision!!

Last…was really happy they didn't make it a one man show with Mario. Having Mario and Luigi together defeating Bowser was a lot more fun to see than just Mario doing all the work.

By far the biggest highlight besides Bowser was the depressing blue floating star for whatever game I haven't played…..all the dialogue was hilarious but by far the best scene was this character cackling like an infant baby when he's getting lowered into the lava…..only to let out the most nonchalant "boooooooo" when he realizes he's just been saved! Had me rolling!

Overall good job Illumination.
The Porkchop Express
AG
c-jags said:

Teacher_Ag said:

You know it's a good movie when there's a grammar error on the poster. EVIL HAS MET IT IS MATCH!
Feels so good, feelin' good again.
tylercsbn9
AG
What a great family movie. There were like 20 showings at my theater. Everyone sold out. Just throws water on the nonsense excuses as to why woke Disney movies keep failing. Apparently this will make over $200 million over 5 days.

Illumination gets it. Disney take notes.
My Dad Earl
AG
Quite entertaining movie. I took my 8 and 5 year old and they had a great time but I think I enjoyed it more. So many things they threw in the movie that I remember from my Super Nintendo and N64 childhood days!
Ghost of Bisbee
AG
Yes, the blue luma was hilarious. That was probably my favorite part, and pretty dark for a kid's movie which made it even better

They're from the Super Mario Galaxy games, which imo are the best 3D Mario platformers
Ghost of Bisbee
AG
Less obvious Easter eggs I remember seeing:
-Blue collar guy in NYC was the guy from the wrecking crew games
-Game and watch character was on a van in NYC
-Pizza place was named after the Punch Out game and also showed Mike Tyson on the wall
-Pizza place arcade cabinet was "Jump Man" which was Mario's original name
-Mario's cell phone ringtone was the GameCube startup music
-Bar in NYC was using the duck hunt duck in their logo
-Ice climber bear made an appearance
-Mario's voice actor from the games was voicing the Mario superfan
-Balloon Fight had a cameo, but can't remember if it was in NYC or the Mushroom Kingdom
-King Bob-omb, I believe King Boo, and some of the bowser assistant mini-bosses from Super Mario World were at the wedding
-Piano was named after one of the bowser assistant mini-bosses from Super Mario World
-DK chant at beginning of DK/Mario showdown came from the DK rap in the N64 game. This track was written by Grant Kirkhope, who also wrote the music for Banjo Kazooie, Goldeneye (the game), and the more recent Mario vs Rabbids games

What else did you catch?
schmendeler
AG
The name of the bar/restaurant was "duck hunt" in french
MW03
AG
Saw it at a "dbox" theater and it was worth it for the Mario kart scenes. Awesome time at the movies with the family.
JABQ04
AG
We saw it last night. First movie for my 3 y/o and she loved it. The older two loved it and my wife and I also thought it was great. A second viewing may be in our future.
BoydCrowder13
Drahknor03 said:

BoydCrowder13 said:

Zelda
Star Fox
Metroid
Mario Kart
Super Bros

Either all the characters vs the baddie's (Bowser, Ganondorf, Wario) or all characters battling to fight the Master Hand.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The original DK arcade game intro right after Mario beats DK and grabs his tie to keep him from falling.
Ghost of Bisbee
AG
I also loved how they communicated the learning curve of experience that a player goes through to become skilled at Mario platforming. That was really well done
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
This became the highest grossing video game adaptation of all time domestically in just five days, beating out Sonic 2's total of $190M.
jokershady
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

This became the highest grossing video game adaptation of all time domestically in just five days, beating out Sonic 2's total of $190M.

Hahahahahahhahahahahahaa!

Suck it you blue freak with your fake news!

wangus12
AG
BoydCrowder13 said:

Drahknor03 said:

BoydCrowder13 said:

Zelda
Star Fox
Metroid
Mario Kart
Super Bros

Either all the characters vs the baddie's (Bowser, Ganondorf, Wario) or all characters battling to fight the Master Hand.
Can you imagine the Film Critic freak out if the build a universe all around fighting a Giant Glove voiced by Josh Brolin
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Beat40
I loved how Mario and Luigi's run from the van to their first client was a side scrolling game!

That movie was a ton of fun. The kids loved it, but I probably loved it more. Certainly nostalgic.

I thought Toad was great!
Ghost of Bisbee
AG
Yes! Key might have stolen the show as Toad.
My favorite Toad line was when he and DK were arguing about whether Peach would go out with Mario

"I guarantee you, I guarantee you she would!"
Brian Earl Spilner
AG

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.