The Super Mario Bros Movie

39,012 Views | 436 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Brian Earl Spilner
RikkiTikkaTagem
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Van Buren Boy said:

RikkiTikkaTagem said:

Just walked out and saw it with my son. It was great, and he loved it.

Did y'all see it in IMAX or Real3D? Want to take my kids tonight or tomorrow but don't know which to do.

Just a regular screen. Not a ton of tickets available
BoydCrowder13
Took the kids this morning. They all loved it and the theater was full of elementary kids. Nintendo is going to have a big Christmas season.
AustinAg2K
Just got back. Daughter loved it. Son and Wife said it was good, but neither were particularly enthusiastic when they said it. I didn't really care for it. It was a hundred times better than the 90s Mario Bros movie, but the script still needed a lot of work.
AustinAg2K
BoydCrowder13 said:

Nanomachines son said:

BoydCrowder13 said:

I hope this makes a $billion and starts a universe.

Imagine the following films:

Zelda
Star Fox
Metroid
Mario Kart
Super Bros

Each of these has enough material for team up films and sequels.

They would print money. Nintendo is sitting on a goldmine.

Zelda is another near guaranteed billion. Metroid could be incredible if they do the Avatar route with photorealism and incredible environments.

Star Fox is a bit more difficult because name recognition isn't as high, but it's possible.

I think Donkey Kong is another one that has a lot of potential.

A Pokmon movie based around the actual universe with a focus on a coming of age storyline with a trainer could be amazing.

Top selling N64 games (because people in their 30s and 40s will be driving the box office with their kids)

Super Mario 64 - 12M copies
Mario Kart 64 - 10M copies
GoldenEye - 8M copies

They need to make a GoldenEye movie... That would be sick.
schmendeler
AG
Saw it with the kids this afternoon. Honestly it was pretty meh. Lego movie was a much better toy adaptation.
jeffk
AG
AustinAg2K said:

They need to make a GoldenEye movie... That would be sick.

Recut the original with big head mode and throwing knives only.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The 3D is pretty damn good for this movie. The animation pops even more.
schmendeler
AG
The mid-day show today was at least 90% full when we went
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Massive Friday of almost $60M, with the full five day likely above $200M.

Pretty sure we're getting those other movies we wanted.
Beckdiesel03
AG
It was nostalgic for me but really wasn't crazy about the movie. The 5 eight year olds we had loved it. The 3 eleven year olds seemed to like it but not crazy about it. Theatre was packed.
agdoc2001
AG
We did the real3d which was great. My favorite part was the music adaptations - so many orchestral versions of iconic mario tunes. My 7 and 10 year old loved it.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
veryfuller
Staff
AG
Went with my 4 year old today, and she has been pretending to be Princess Peach the rest of the afternoon….so she dug it.

I thought it was good fun but I played the games growing up and still love to play some of them. I can imagine the movie being lame to non fans who are not kids under 10.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Rotten Tomatoes scores right now sitting at:

55% Critic
96% Audience
gougler08
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

55% Critic
96% Audience

I mean makes sense, there is no plot so critics will ***** and moan but the audience will love it because of all the fun Easter eggs and nostalgia
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I recommend watching only after you've seen the movie.

Sea Pony 07
AG
We went Wednesday to Imax because we didn't want to wait until 930 pm for the imax 3d. Wish I would have watched it in 3d. Theater was at least 50%full and all settings looked to be about the same. I really enjoyed the music and the Easter eggs.
johnnyblaze36
AG
That was epic. I often wonder what it must be like to be as uninhibited as someone like Jack Black.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Just got back from an 8:30 showing. Whole family went. My Mario super fan never stopped smiling the whole movie. We all died laughing at the Peaches song and pretty much everything Jack Black brought to the Bowser role as well as Rogen and Kong.

My bizarre comparison for this movie is the original Taken. No sub-plot, no learn a moral lesson, just Liam Neeson kicking ass for 2 hours. This was the same thing. No new character that we DGAF about, no Mario learns the true meaning of Christmas, short and sweet and full of Nintendo fun.
Feels so good, feelin' good again.
Gigem314
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

Just got back from an 8:30 showing. Whole family went. My Mario super fan never stopped smiling the whole movie. We all died laughing at the Peaches song and pretty much everything Jack Black brought to the Bowser role as well as Rogen and Kong.
Saw it yesterday and had the exact same reaction. Tons of fun. Excellent cast.

"Peachez…peachez….peacheeeeezzzz"
agdoc2001
AG
"Peaches" has been on repeat on Alexa this morning for about 2 hours thanks to the 7 year old
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I think there needs to be an official petition to Hollywood to end the use of "Holding Out For a Hero" in movies and tv.

I can't think of a more overused song in media in the past couple years.
wangus12
AG
But you gotta be strong and you gotta be fast and you gotta be fresh from the fight
SF2004
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

55% Critic
96% Audience

Pretty much all you need to know.

The movie was great!

Typical texags "I'm so above this" movie snobs ****ting on it.

Some miserable humans beings on here.
TCTTS
AG
Who are you talking about? I haven't seen single poster here "sh*t on" the movie. Yes, a few people said certain aspects could have been a bit better, but I would say every reaction so far has been good to glowing, with a few minor quibbles.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
jeffk
AG
Family saw it today. Packed house. Lots of audible laughs and applause at the end. Peaches song was incredible.

All three kids gave it two thumbs up as did I.
jeffk
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I think there needs to be an official petition to Hollywood to end the use of "Holding Out For a Hero" in movies and tv.

I can't think of a more overused song in media in the past couple years.

But two different Chris Pratt movies have used Mr. Blue Sky in the past decade.
jeffk
AG
I will say we got crap previews though. Book Club? About My Father? Get that junk out of here.
jokershady
AG
At Alamo Drafthouse in Katy right now….watching hilarious anime versions of Mario cartoons while we wait for it to start!
SF2004
AG
TCTTS said:

Who are you talking about? I haven't seen single poster here "sh*t on" the movie. Yes, a few people said certain aspects could have been a bit better, but I would say every reaction so far has been good to glowing, with a few minor quibbles.

The last few pages are full of the subtle "I'm so cultured" jabs.

You are the worst offender so it doesn't surprise me you don't see it.

Movie was good for a Mario movie and will make bank so you have to hate it so your Hollywood friends will still like you.
SF2004
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Holy crap….

These people are so out of touch.
TCTTS
AG
SF2004 said:

TCTTS said:

The last few pages are full of the subtle "I'm so cultured" jabs.

You are the worst offender so it doesn't surprise me you don't see it.

Movie was good for a Mario movie and will make bank so you have to hate it so your Hollywood friends will still like you.

Dude, if anyone here needs to relax, it's you.

What in the world.
schmendeler
AG
It was a fine kids movie. Completely inoffensive. But there's not really anything there for an adult other than some nostalgic visuals.

There's nothing wrong with that. And it's not snobby to think so.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Chipotlemonger
AG
What are you smoking?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.