*****The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power*****

99,303 Views | 1577 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by The Collective
bobinator
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I mean, it does make you invisible to anyone who can't see the shadow realm, that's getting a little pedantic I think. And I think he means the idea is that these rings amplify the wearer, not the One Ring.
TCTTS
AG
I'm just having a conversation here, and was clearly speaking in a guessing nature. I'm sorry I don't remember the exact wording from a 21-year-old voice over. I just remember Bilbo *wanting* to be invisible, putting on the ring, and then becoming invisible. That, to me, says he has at least some say so in how/when it works. But apparently not. Also, for all intents and purposes, he's invisible. I get the distinction you're making, but it's ultimately besides the point.
DallasTeleAg
bobinator said:

I mean, it does make you invisible to anyone who can't see the shadow realm, that's getting a little pedantic I think. And I think he means the idea is that these rings amplify the wearer, not the One Ring.
It's not pedantic at all. Being invisible is one thing. The fact it pulls you into the spiritual realm is something completely different and more foreboding. Making a magic ring that makes you invisible is no more ominous than Harry Potter's invisibility cloak.
DallasTeleAg
TCTTS said:

I'm just having a conversation here, and was clearly speaking in a guessing nature. I'm sorry I don't remember the exact wording from a 21-year-old voice over. I just remember Bilbo *wanting* to be invisible, putting on the ring, and then becoming invisible. That, to me, says he has at least some say so in how/when it works. But apparently not. Also, for all intents and purposes, he's invisible. I get the distinction you're making, but it's ultimately besides the point.
Dude... I was literally giving a correction based on the source material. No need to get so defensive.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The person wearing the ring most definitely makes a difference. An incredibly powerful being like Gandalf or Galadriel would be incredibly dangerous with the ring, whereas a Hobbit wearing it poses little threat because they are easygoing and have no evil ambitions.
bobinator
AG
I'm willing to accept almost anything, I just wish they'd have made an effort. Just a line about how the light in mithril, and therefore its power, is made stronger when worn by the elves or whatever. I don't need a science lesson in elven metals, but just an effort on why it needs to be worn to save them.
TCTTS
AG
That's what I figured.
C@LAg
TCTTS said:

That's what I figured.
Stupid green-FX-bad-hair-day-smokers-voice Galadriel kind of covered it n Lothlorien.
DallasTeleAg
Brian Earl Spilner said:

The person wearing the ring most definitely makes a difference. An incredibly powerful being like Gandalf or Galadriel would be incredibly dangerous with the ring, whereas a Hobbit wearing it poses little threat because they are easygoing and have no evil ambitions.
I wonder whether Galadriel would have been able to truly wield it. I think Gandalf would, because he is a Maia. It's interesting to think about Galadriel, though.
bobinator
AG
He wasn't saying the One Ring's only ability is to make someone invisible. The point was that the mechanics of the One Ring aren't spelled out in the movie.
gggmann
AG
DallasTeleAg said:

TCTTS said:

Totally valid question, but the same could be asked of how the ring worked in the original trilogy. I never understood *how* it made someone invisible, I just knew that it did. To that point, I'm assuming it has to do with the will of the person wearing the ring. It basically amplifies the desires in some way of whoever possesses it.
It doesn't make you invisible. It pulls you into the spirit realm. That's why the wraiths can still see Frodo and he sees their true images. It has nothing to do with the will of the wearer because no being who has worn the Ring, other than Sauron, has the power to bend it to their will.

In the prologue, you are literally told that Sauron poured his essence into the One Ring. That is why he could no longer take physical shape without it.

But he did take physical form, at least that's my interpretation from what Gollum says about the black hand with only 4 fingers.
DallasTeleAg
bobinator said:

He wasn't saying the One Ring's only ability is to make someone invisible. The point was that the mechanics of the One Ring aren't spelled out in the movie.
Lol...

I never said that's what he said. If you want to go around thinking the One Ring is just a golden loop that turns you invisible, then go for it. I don't care. I'm just participating on a thread about the Lord of the Rings, so was sharing some information.

If someone said Gandalf was wearing one of the seven dwarven rings, I would say that's not true. He actually has one of the three Elven rings. That doesn't mean yall have to come at me and say it doesn't really matter, he still has a ring of power and they don't really explain in that well in the movie, so I should just shut up.
DallasTeleAg
gggmann said:

But he did take physical form, at least that's my interpretation from what Gollum says about the black hand with only 4 fingers.
I'm not familiar to what you are referring. Are you referencing something from the book or the movie? Can you link the line?
C@LAg
DallasTeleAg said:

gggmann said:

I'm not familiar to what you are referring. Are you referencing something from the book or the movie? Can you link the line?
Now the Shadow grew ever greater, and the hearts of Elrond and Mithrandir darkened. Therefore on a time Mithrandir at great peril went again to Dol Guldur and the pits of the Sorcerer, and he discovered the truth of his fears, and escaped. And returning to Elrond he said:

'True, alas, is our guess. This is not one of the lairi, as many have long supposed. It is Sauron himself who has taken shape again and now grows apace; and he is gathering again all the Rings to his hand; and he seeks ever for news of the One, and of the Heirs of Isildur, if they live still on earth.'

It took him about 1000 years, but he was able to again take a humanoid form and used such as the Necromancer. From 1000TA on. And why he was physical enough for Gollum to see when he was being tortured.
DallasTeleAg
C@LAg said:

DallasTeleAg said:

gggmann said:

Now the Shadow grew ever greater, and the hearts of Elrond and Mithrandir darkened. Therefore on a time Mithrandir at great peril went again to Dol Guldur and the pits of the Sorcerer, and he discovered the truth of his fears, and escaped. And returning to Elrond he said:

'True, alas, is our guess. This is not one of the lairi, as many have long supposed. It is Sauron himself who has taken shape again and now grows apace; and he is gathering again all the Rings to his hand; and he seeks ever for news of the One, and of the Heirs of Isildur, if they live still on earth.'

It took him about 1000 years, but he was able to again take a humanoid form and used such as the Necromancer. From 1000TA on. And why he was physical enough for Gollum to see when he was being tortured.
I'll have to check the Fellowship, sometime. I'm curious if Tolkien contradicted himself on that account. I know the movies mentioned he hasn't been able to take physical shape.
C@LAg

DVC2010
AG
For the most part, the casting was pretty good, but the writing was terrible. The incessant mysteries were a terrible tonal match for Tolkien, especially in the Second Age. There were way too many stupid decisions for the sake of plot experience. Gil-galad and Galadriel were particularly poorly characterized. The Elrond and Durin friendship was great, but I'm a little worried about the trajectory of that plot. I hated the Sauron and Balrog reveals. Excellent scene to close the finale, though. Using Gandalf when the blue wizards were available was a terrible decision.

I know some of y'all will be salty about this, and I'm not judging you if you enjoyed it. It was a pretty fun show, though too slowly paced. It was an awful Lord of the Rings adaptation.
ChipFTAC01
AG
PatAg said:

It wasnt super subtle, but anyone catch the "follow your nose" line?

I caught it because they were being super unsubtle and could tell it was a reference to something but I don't remember.

I really hope this isn't akin to me forgetting "On your left" when it popped up in Endgame.
DVC2010
AG
Orome said:

I think them ham-fisting so many Lord of the Rings symmetries hurt the story. #MemberBerries

User name checks out.
DVC2010
AG
KCup17 said:

I'm only halfway through the season finale and haven't read anything from this board since I last posted but Halbrand and Sauron is a lock.

Edit: I don't think I need a spoiler tag for that as I haven't finished the episode?? but in my mind he is 100% a sneaky devil Morgoth servant.

The 100% tell was when he told Celebrimbor, "consider it a gift."
PatAg
AG
ChipFTAC01 said:

PatAg said:

I caught it because they were being super unsubtle and could tell it was a reference to something but I don't remember.

I really hope this isn't akin to me forgetting "On your left" when it popped up in Endgame.
Definitely not on that level.
That guy did such a great job of sounding like McKellan's Gandalf when he was talking about banishing them to the shadow realm.
PatAg
AG
Celebrimbor was saying something about it being a circle and reflecting back on itself and amplifying power, but still didnt really say how it would fix anything.
C@LAg

Powers and properties

The Rings of Power all had certain common properties. The Elves of Eregion created the rings to preserve their lands, attempting to make them as beautiful as Valinor. Thus, a primary power of the rings was to prevent and decelerate decay and change. The rings also increased a bearer's own natural powers, seemingly granting 'magic' abilities.[7]

According to Gandalf, a Ring of Power has the ability to "look after itself". A bearer of a Ring was unable to abandon it, but a ring could "decide" to abandon its wearer as the One Ring did many times in order to get back to Sauron.[8] The One Ring specifically had such power of lust that nobody had the will to try to injure it[7] (even though it was indestructible itself).

Additionally, the One Ring, along with the Seven and the Nine, had the ability to tap into the Unseen at different degrees. The One could completely shift the wearer to the Spirit World, rendering the material body invisible to mortals.[7] The Nine and the Seven were so strongly under Sauron's control that they could cause the wearer, especially Men, to fade and turn into a wraith under Sauron's domination.[8]

The Dwarves however were more resistant to most of these effects. They mostly suffered under an increased lust for gold, which provided occasion for quarrels among themselves. They used their Seven Rings to increase their treasure troves; the treasure hoards of these dwarves drew the mightiest of dragons and opponents.[3]

The Three did not make their wearers invisible[7] (though a wearer could make the ring itself invisible[9]). A wearer of one of the Rings of Three gained the power to heal and preserve, in many different ways, whatever they controlled. Galadriel's and Elrond's Rings allowed them to fend off Sauron and protect and preserve Lothlorien and Rivendell. Narya also had the power to inspire hope and courage in others.[10]
[url=https://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Rings_of_Power#cite_note-10][/url]

Other than that... Tolkien does not go into deep depth on any of the rings in particular because other than the elven rings and the One Ring, the rest are pretty much irrelevant.
KCup17
AG
Who is to say that the Blue Wizards don't show up in a subsequent season? I'm totally fine with the stranger being Gandalf. After all the Istari were sent to Middle Earth to combat Sauron. So to me it wouldn't be a stretch to get an introduction to all of them throughout this series.
DVC2010
AG
KCup17 said:

Who is to say that the Blue Wizards don't show up in a subsequent season? I'm totally fine with the stranger being Gandalf. After all the Israeli were sent to Middle Earth to combat Sauron. So to me it wouldn't be a stretch to get an introduction to all of them throughout this series.

Peter Jackson lied. Here's the real last alliance.

KCup17
AG
DVC2010 said:

KCup17 said:

Who is to say that the Blue Wizards don't show up in a subsequent season? I'm totally fine with the stranger being Gandalf. After all the Israeli were sent to Middle Earth to combat Sauron. So to me it wouldn
't be a stretch to get an introduction to all of them throughout this series.

Peter Jackson lied. Here's the real last alliance.

Hahah stupid autocorrect… posted it before I even noticed
Max Power
AG
YNWA_AG said:

Sauron is going to cook some meth

I think you mean cooking mith…ril. Sorry, I had to.
ChipFTAC01
AG
PatAg said:

ChipFTAC01 said:

PatAg said:

Definitely not on that level.
That guy did such a great job of sounding like McKellan's Gandalf when he was talking about banishing them to the shadow realm.

So is Gandalfs follow your nose, the air is less foul, is that when they're in Morita?
ChipFTAC01
AG
Not correcting that autocorrect because it made me chuckle.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Yes. When they're stuck trying to figure out which doorway to take.
AgE2theBONE
AG
KCup17 said:

Who is to say that the Blue Wizards don't show up in a subsequent season? I'm totally fine with the stranger being Gandalf. After all the Istari were sent to Middle Earth to combat Sauron. So to me it wouldn't be a stretch to get an introduction to all of them throughout this series.

Well, an additional problem is that Gandalf specifically said he never ventured into the East, which is precisely where they're headed, but I believe the blue wizards did go there.

So among all the other reasons that it'd be a bad idea to make him Gandalf, it would explicitly contradict canon.

I'm not terribly concerned about this, because my gut instinct is that he'll be a blue wizard, and the reason they haven't made clear who he is because they want viewers to tune into season 2 thinking that he'll be Gandalf and by the time they make clear he's not it won't matter.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
I don't think they're going to use that line and then have it not be Gandalf. I think the questions of who is Sauron and who is The Stranger have both been answered definitively now.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
DVC2010 said:

KCup17 said:

I'm only halfway through the season finale and haven't read anything from this board since I last posted but Halbrand and Sauron is a lock.

Edit: I don't think I need a spoiler tag for that as I haven't finished the episode?? but in my mind he is 100% a sneaky devil Morgoth servant.

The Porkchop Express
Brian Earl Spilner said:

DVC2010 said:

KCup17 said:

Halbrand=Sauron=Boromir=Mephisto confirmed.
WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
KCup17
AG
Ah I wasn't aware of that statement by Gandalf. I've kind of landed in a "Fine if he is Gandalf and fine if he is not."

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.