*****The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power*****

98,320 Views | 1577 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by The Collective
FightinTexasAg15
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www.reddit.com/r/LOTR_on_Prime/comments/y4rim3/i_fixed_the_mordor_text_reveal/

Crazy some random person on Reddit can come up with something better for that scene than the whole crew for the show
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
That's actually pretty dope. Would've been much better.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
YNWA_AG said:

Sauron is going to cook some meth

https://v.redd.it/gqmnm5fmdyt91
PatAg
AG
ChipFTAC01 said:

PatAg said:

ChipFTAC01 said:

PatAg said:

It wasnt super subtle, but anyone catch the "follow your nose" line?

I caught it because they were being super unsubtle and could tell it was a reference to something but I don't remember.

I really hope this isn't akin to me forgetting "On your left" when it popped up in Endgame.
Definitely not on that level.
That guy did such a great job of sounding like McKellan's Gandalf when he was talking about banishing them to the shadow realm.

So is Gandalfs follow your nose, the air is less foul, is that when they're in Moria?
Yea.
For me, when he said the line in the showw, I knew that it was from the movies but it took me a moment to place it.
Theres so many fantasy books and movies nowadays, there was a chance it could be from something else.
So it wasn't like he said an extremely famous line.
AliasMan02
AG
That season was really enjoyable. Can't wait for more.
AliasMan02
AG
Man some of you are jumping through a lot of hoops to try and believe the Stranger isn't Gandalf.
Chipotlemonger
AG
AliasMan02 said:

Man some of you are jumping through a lot of hoops to try and believe the Stranger isn't Gandalf.

Yea it seems to me they got a little too nail on the head and were smacking us straight in the face with that follow your nose bit. Also he gave Nori a very similar speech about life/adventure/choices to one he gave to Frodo. It's definitely Gandalf IMO.
PatAg
AG
AliasMan02 said:

Although.....the cynic in me would not be surprised for them to put all these very obvious clues in, and then just have him be another wizard entirely.
LB12Diamond
AG
So
Help me out. Wizards come from comets? That's the one thing I'm confused about.
Claude!
LB12Diamond said:

So
I always assumed they came over on ships. Though i guess my only evidence for that is Cirdan the Shipwright giving the Ring Nenya to Gandalf upon Gandalf's arrival in Middle-Earth in the Third Age.
DallasTeleAg
LB12Diamond said:

So
We are told the generic Istari came and were met at the Grey Havens. The whole idea was their mission was supposed to be one of secret movement throughout Middle-earth. There were only a few elves who actually knew what they truly were.

The comet thing was just the show coming up with something.

If this is Gandalf, then he has to go back to Valinor at some point, or it is a big retcon of his story.
PatAg
AG
DallasTeleAg said:

LB12Diamond said:

So
We are told the generic Istari came and were met at the Grey Havens. The whole idea was their mission was supposed to be one of secret movement throughout Middle-earth. There were only a few elves who actually knew what they truly were.

The comet thing was just the show coming up with something.

If this is Gandalf, then he has to go back to Valinor at some point, or it is a big retcon of his story.
Just doing a thought experiment, what is the source for this information.
OnlyForNow
AG
It's states of when Gandalf first appeared in Middle Earth, which was in the third age.

I'm ok with it being Gandalf, and just like after he fell in Moria, he didn't remember much of anything of his past life and had to relearn it.

If they are going with Istari are basically just reincarnated/recycled beings over and over again. I can get on board with that.
DallasTeleAg
Tried to keep any spoilers of the story of the Rings of Power out of what I quoted, by removing all mentions to the rings and who wielded them. We all know Gandalf eventually is given one of the Rings, but don't want to spoil who gave it to him or who the Elven Ring Bearers are, aside from Galadriel.

From the Appendices of the Return of the King, Appendix B:

"When maybe a thousand years had passed [from the Last Alliance and Sauron's defeat], and the first shadow had fallen on Greenwood the Great, the Istari or Wizards appeared in Middle-earth. It was afterwards said that they came out of the Far West and were messengers sent to contest the power of Sauron, and to unite all who had the will to resist him; but they were forbidden to match his power with power, or to seek to dominate Elves or Men by force and fear."

...The two highest of this order (of whom it is said there were five) were called by the Eldar Curunir, 'the Man of Skill', and Mithrandir, 'the Grey Pilgrim', but by Men in the North Saruman and Gandalf.... Mithrandir was closest in friendship with the Eldar, and wandered mostly in the West, and never made for himself any lasting abode.

... For Cirdan saw further and deeper than any other in Middle-earth, and he welcomed Mithrandir at the Grey Havens, knowing whence he came and whither he would return.

Also, from the Silmarillion:

"Even as the first shadows were felt in Mirkwood there appeared in the west of Middle-earth the Istari, whom Men called the Wizards. None knew at that time whence they were, save Cirdan of the Havens, and only to Elrond and to Galadriel did he reveal that they came over the Sea.

... Chief among them were those whom the Elves called Mithrandir and Curunir, but Men in the North named Gandalf and Saruman.. Of these Curunir was the eldest and came first, and after him came Mithrandir and Radagast, and the others of the Istari who went into the east of Middle-earth, and do not come into these tales.

... He [Gandalf] wandered far in the North and West and made never in any land any lasting abode; but Curunir journeyed into the East, and when he returned he dwelt at Orthanc in the Ring of Isengard, which the Numenoreans made in the days of their power."

Honestly, after rereading both of those, the Stranger could very well be a younger Saruman, seeing as there are multiple mentions of Cirdan meeting Gandalf at the Grey Havens in both references, but we are told Saruman came before him (though still in the Third Age) and he actually traveled to the East. I actually wouldn't mind this, because we've already seen the Stranger basically show he isn't as "good" as Gandalf is always shown to be.
DallasTeleAg
After typing all that, I started to wonder in my nerdiness, but then realized I probably don't even rank in the top 10 of TexAgs posters when it comes to LotR nerdiness and knowledge.

Now, when Sanderson finally starts releasing the Stormlight Archive, yall will see what true nerdiness looks like.
redline248
AG
I don't remember exactly when, or why, but I did previously have the thought it could be Saruman. I still think, at this point, that you don't have the character say a Gandalf line from the movies and then it not be Gandalf.

Similar to how the evidence for Halbrand being Sauron was not misdirection, I don't think that is, either.
DallasTeleAg
Oh, I tend to agree with you. As I said in my post on the finale, we all gave the writers too much credit thinking they were cleverly misdirecting us.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
The Stranger is Gandalf. Anything else is wishful thinking.
The Porkchop Express
Quincey P. Morris said:

WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
C@LAg
Quincey P. Morris said:

he could be a hobbit child molester and the original source of "Stanger! Danger!"
AgE2theBONE
AG
Quincey P. Morris said:

You may be right, and if I was forced to place a wager with a gun to my head, I'd go with Gandalf.

But there are some (however slight) reasons for thinking it possible they're implying he might be Gandalf but is nevertheless another wizard. If he really were Gandalf, why not make that clear in the finale? If the goal is to draw in casual viewers for next season who love the character--since that would be the only reason to make him Gandalf--why leave it unspoken?

I don't know. They deliberately gave a ton of hints that Halbrand was Sauron and then many of us were sure it was just a red herring, only for it turn out to be a case of "well, they made it obvious!" So if they're consistent in that regard he'll definitely be Gandalf.

Definitely Not A Cop
AG
AgE2theBONE said:

Quincey P. Morris said:

You may be right, and if I was forced to place a wager with a gun to my head, I'd go with Gandalf.

But there are some (however slight) reasons for thinking it possible they're implying he might be Gandalf but is nevertheless another wizard. If he really were Gandalf, why not make that clear in the finale? If the goal is to draw in casual viewers for next season who love the character--since that would be the only reason to make him Gandalf--why leave it unspoken?

I don't know. They deliberately gave a ton of hints that Halbrand was Sauron and then many of us were sure it was just a red herring, only for it turn out to be a case of "well, they made it obvious!" So if they're consistent in that regard he'll definitely be Gandalf.

The biggest nod to me that it's Gandalf is the follow your nose line.

However it would be 10 times more interesting from a story perspective is if it's actually Sarumon and the show focuses on his conflict of whether he's here to do good or evil.

When does he officially start serving Sauron according to the books?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Very late in the game. Basically it's right before the time of LOTR. During The Hobbit, he still hasn't turned.
TXAG 05
AG
AgE2theBONE said:

Quincey P. Morris said:

I'm in the same boat. My gut says it's Gandalf since he is the name everyone knows. On the other hand, they came right out and said "this dude is Sauron" so I would think they would have done the same if it was Gandalf. Saruman would be interesting, they could show his corruption to the dark side/Sauron.
powerbelly
AG
Definitely Not A Cop said:

AgE2theBONE said:

Quincey P. Morris said:

The biggest nod to me that it's Gandalf is the follow your nose line.

However it would be 10 times more interesting from a story perspective is if it's actually Sarumon and the show focuses on his conflict of whether he's here to do good or evil.

When does he officially start serving Sauron according to the books?
Tolkein never spelled out when he turned to evil, but it was before the hobbit book. I think the consensus for joining Sauron officially is 2851 TA.
Spaceball 1
AG
I think it's Gandalf and it would explain his affinity for Hobbits
AgE2theBONE
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Very late in the game. Basically it's right before the time of LOTR. During The Hobbit, he still hasn't turned.

Yeah, I don't think he allies with the other side until word is officially out that the One Ring has been found, then decides he wants it for himself.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The White Council existed at the same time as The Hobbit, and he hadn't turned yet, right? Thought it happened between The Hobbit and LOTR.
AgE2theBONE
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

The White Council existed at the same time as The Hobbit, and he hadn't turned yet, right? Thought it happened between The Hobbit and LOTR.

I haven't read The Hobbit, but during the White Council meeting in Rivendell, in the film, they deliberately made him seem obstructive. They might have done so just to provide a bit of foreshadowing for his turn in FotR, I don't know.

But Gandalf trusts him implicitly right up until Saruman imprisons him during Fellowship, so if he had turned long before that, he didn't raise any suspicions.
powerbelly
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

From what I remember, he officially turned to join Sauron after he learns the ring has been found at the white council meeting in 2851. So between 2851 and 2953 he has completely turned.

The hobbit is 2941-2942 and LOTR 3018-3019
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Have to say that The White Council driving Sauron out of Dol Guldur was probably my favorite scene in The Hobbit trilogy (or maybe second to the Gollum/Bilbo scene), and it'll be cool rewatching that later with all the new backstory of Galadriel and Halbrand/Sauron.

This **** was personal for Galadriel.
ja86
AG
He had already turned. Galadriel did not like him and did not want him leading the white council. . He was probably the most learned in ring lore of all the 'wise' on the good side and used his knowledge to spread mis-information to the council.

He was and had been searching the Gladden Fields looking for signs of the ring for awhile. He was working against the white council from the inside and delayed the white council from forcing the necromancer "ie, Sauron" out because he wanted more time to search. In the end, I would considered him more of an ally of Sauron's, but was working to get the ring for himself up to the last minute.
powerbelly
AG
Gandalf suspected Saruman at the white council in 2851 of desiring the ring for himself.

I don't think he ever imagined he would join Sauron.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
So like I said, it would be way more interesting, since its still relatively unclear, even if it doesn't follow Tolkiens work explicitly.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.