*****The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power*****

97,645 Views | 1577 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by The Collective
DallasTeleAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Thought starting this thread to have the weekly discussion about the episodes while avoiding putting spoilers in the generic LotR thread would be wise.

If others disagree, please flag and mods can remove the thread.
DallasTeleAg
Moved from the other thead:

I agree about the elves. They did not feel like Tolkien elves, to me. You're right that they might as well have been just humans with pointy ears. I'm not a big fan of Galadriel or Elrond. Their okay, but my issue may just be that they conform to the same style of elf we are being presented. Just don't feel the way Jackson portrayed them, or how I always read them to be.

Don't know who this giant is supposed to be, but I hope to god he isn't supposed to be an Istari.The Harfoots are fine, I guess, but every time they went back to them, I was ready for that scene to be over.

I'm still just not a fan of the random casting of various races all over the place in a world like this. Does it ruin the story? Not too much. But it makes shows like this just seem like i'm watching a play, but not a movie or show attempting to ground itself in the reality the storytellers are trying to create. It's just even more out of place in an IP like Middle Earth. A world Tolkien painstakingly spent decades building a mythology around with history, languages, geography, etc. Sure, cast whoever you want, but it makes it feel artificial to me, just like overuse of CGI does.

If you want to cast blacks, asians, other brown peoples in this particular world, then build a storyline around those races and a geography. Have them hail from a particular region. I wouldn't create a mythology around Africa and cast a large number of white people.

Nazanin Boniadi... so hot...

Music was kind of generic to me. I found the opening theme especially drab and uninteresting. A far cry from a theme like Game of Thrones.

The very beginning with the brief telling of the rise of Morgoth was cool to see. I wish we had shown more of that.

Overall, it was entertaining enough to continue watching and save my overall judgment of the show for how the story ends.
The Porkchop Express
Can you add some official rules to the thread, like you have to watch the episodes before you go on your rants
WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
DallasTeleAg
The Porkchop Express said:

Can you add some official rules to the thread, like you have to watch the episodes before you go on your rants
Lol... i'm not a rule maker. I just started seeing spoiler tags hit the other thread and thought it may be better to separate them.

Again, if others disagree, we can nuke the thread.
The Porkchop Express
DallasTeleAg said:

The Porkchop Express said:

Lol... i'm not a rule maker. I just started seeing spoiler tags hit the other thread and thought it may be better to separate them.

Again, if others disagree, we can nuke the thread.
I was just kidding, hoping certain unsavories who have declared loud and lustily that they refuse to watch the show don't come pollute this thread.
WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
PatAg
AG
DallasTeleAg said:

Moved from the other thead:

I agree about the elves. They did not feel like Tolkien elves, to me. You're right that they might as well have been just humans with pointy ears. I'm not a big fan of Galadriel or Elrond. Their okay, but my issue may just be that they conform to the same style of elf we are being presented. Just don't feel the way Jackson portrayed them, or how I always read them to be.

Don't know who this giant is supposed to be, but I hope to god he isn't supposed to be an Istari.The Harfoots are fine, I guess, but every time they went back to them, I was ready for that scene to be over.

I'm still just not a fan of the random casting of various races all over the place in a world like this. Does it ruin the story? Not too much. But it makes shows like this just seem like i'm watching a play, but not a movie or show attempting to ground itself in the reality the storytellers are trying to create. It's just even more out of place in an IP like Middle Earth. A world Tolkien painstakingly spent decades building a mythology around with history, languages, geography, etc. Sure, cast whoever you want, but it makes it feel artificial to me, just like overuse of CGI does.

If you want to cast blacks, asians, other brown peoples in this particular world, then build a storyline around those races and a geography. Have them hail from a particular region. I wouldn't create a mythology around Africa and cast a large number of white people.

Nazanin Boniadi... so hot...

Music was kind of generic to me. I found the opening theme especially drab and uninteresting. A far cry from a theme like Game of Thrones.

The very beginning with the brief telling of the rise of Morgoth was cool to see. I wish we had shown more of that.

Overall, it was entertaining enough to continue watching and save my overall judgment of the show for how the story ends.
I go back and forth between not caring at all, and understanding why it would bother people because the world IS established.

I do think people would be even more annoyed by a random region/race being created just to put people of color in it though, so I think just introducing them to existing races makes more sense. Really, how they behave matters more, and I thought the guy playing Arindor (sp?) did a good job of being elf like.
If Micheal B Jordan were cast as an elf it would be awful, as an example of a bad way of inserting diveristy.
DallasTeleAg
I agree. I actually had nothing against his character. In fact, he probably felt the most elf like among all the elves. He actually seemed like an Elf scout who has spent decades out at a remote outpost.
javajaws
AG
DallasTeleAg said:

I agree. I actually had nothing against his character. In fact, he probably felt the most elf like among all the elves. He actually seemed like an Elf scout who has spent decades out at a remote outpost.

Yeah out of all the elves I'm liking him the most. The Harfoot melting pot however is just a disaster.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin
PatAg
AG
I actually liked the guy who has his book of symbols and was reading signs in the world as a prediction.
swc93
AG
When Elrond and the Elf King where all alone after basically tricking Galadriel and the others into heading off to the West, the gay vibe was so strong I was bracing myself for a kiss or embrace. "Here it comes!". Glad they managed to hold off…for now.

After watching The Wheels of Time I was ready for anything to be shoe horned in.
ElKabong
Bezos spent 715 million for season 1? What hot garbage.
This comment below I can not take credit for. I wish that I could.

"It began with the forging of the great films. Threads were given by Tolkien, immortal, wisest and fairest of all beings. Rights were granted to Jackson, great miner and craftsman of the mountain of lore. And nine, nine hours were gifted to the race of men who above all else desire quality. But they were all of them deceived, for another show was made. In the land of Amazon, in the fires of Mount Prime, the Dark Lord Bezos forged a master flop. And into this show he poured his money, his greed, and his will to dominate all film. One show to ruin them all."
Max Power
AG
I enjoyed it well enough. I like the portrayal of Galadriel as a warrior/badass/elf that doesn't buy into what's being sold to the rest of the elves. The majority of the casting has been meh at best but I did really like Durin, but the Durin/ Elrond back and forth fell really short of Gimli/Legolas from the films. I think the guy cast as Elrond is distractingly bad, he just doesn't fit to me. Most of the cast has little personality at all to be honest. The scenery is outstanding though. No idea who the stranger is, never read The Silmarillion so I don't have any idea if there's clues present about who it might be.

I'd give the first 2 episodes a B but that feels generous, I'll keep watching.
The Dirty Sock
Finished the second episode last night. Very pretty to look at but I have been very bored watching so far. Let me put it this way: I CAN wait for the next episode.
FL_Ag1998
AG
swc93 said:

When Elrond and the Elf King where all alone after basically tricking Galadriel and the others into heading off to the West, the gay vibe was so strong I was bracing myself for a kiss or embrace. "Here it comes!". Glad they managed to hold off…for now.

After watching The Wheels of Time I was ready for anything to be shoe horned in.

Uhhh, I think that might just be you projecting because I didn't get that vibe at all.
The Dirty Sock
FL_Ag1998 said:

swc93 said:

Uhhh, I think that might just be you projecting because I didn't get that vibe at all.

Oh he's gonna make out with his boss. It's happening. As long as it's with the same race I'm ok with it.
The Porkchop Express
swc93 said:

Dude, the gay elf canon was established 21 years ago when Haldir got him an eyeful of Viggo. You gotta catch up.

Duncan Idaho
The Dirty Sock said:

FL_Ag1998 said:

swc93 said:

Oh he's gonna make out with his boss. It's happening. As long as it's with the same race I'm ok with it.

"Same Race"? Are you saying you'd be ok with elf on elf gay but have a problem with
Elf on man gay?
Or
Elf on dark elf gay?
Duncan Idaho
Watched the first 2 light night. Random thoughts

It was ok. You can tell the spent some money to make it but it still felt like a TV show not a movie.

The cave scene was well done.
The chick playing Galadriel is not hard on the eyes
I don't like the clearly female dwarves but then I am sure if they made them closer to the books a certain group of people would be complaining about how that would be grooming.
The sailing to the west part was good but man the implications were dark. It stuck me as closer to Leif's sacrifice in Vikings than the happily riding off into the sunset that I always imagined. Basically the elfs are a giant death cult and by getting on the boat to cross the sea, they are effectively committing suicide
I would have like to have seen more of the mines.
agrams
AG
thats a funny thought on the female dwarves having beards... its funny that amazon pushes so hard to be inclusive and gotten flack for black elves and black dwarves, the one area that staying true to Tolkien would have given them an easy out they avoided...
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Cringe
cbr
AG
What in hades is going on in here!?
The Porkchop Express
ElKabong said:

Bezos spent 715 million for season 1? What hot garbage.
This comment below I can not take credit for. I wish that I could.

"It began with the forging of the great films. Threads were given by Tolkien, immortal, wisest and fairest of all beings. Rights were granted to Jackson, great miner and craftsman of the mountain of lore. And nine, nine hours were gifted to the race of men who above all else desire quality. But they were all of them deceived, for another show was made. In the land of Amazon, in the fires of Mount Prime, the Dark Lord Bezos forged a master flop. And into this show he poured his money, his greed, and his will to dominate all film. One show to ruin them all."
Did you actually watch it?
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Anyone else get Jodie Foster vibes from Galadriel?
gggmann
AG
I wonder if Sean Bean being in LOTR and GOT had any influence whatsoever on them choosing the young Ned Stark actor as Elrond. It makes for a good trivia question.
agrams
AG
this will break the trend that every sean bean character must die..
CondensedFogAggie
So far so good. Galadriel is way hotter and cuter than Peter Jackson Galadriel, Elrond is young and naive so his transformation should be interesting, meteor man I hope starts doing wizard stuff, Arondir is cool.

And Kazad dun was spectacular. Not sure how much they're going to tie up these stories in just 8 episodes though
pocketrockets06
AG
Your take on the sailing west is bizarre. That's basically going to heaven and Galadriels choice to stay is the choice to suffer as she stays in the fallen world longer. You need to remember that while there are many things that call back to Norse and old English mythology, Tolkien was devoutly Christian and the west is more heaven than Valhalla.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
They're not. They've said their plan is for 50 hours.
DallasTeleAg
pocketrockets06 said:

Your take on the sailing west is bizarre. That's basically going to heaven and Galadriels choice to stay is the choice to suffer as she stays in the fallen world longer. You need to remember that while there are many things that call back to Norse and old English mythology, Tolkien was devoutly Christian and the west is more heaven than Valhalla.
I disagree. Duncan knows what sailing to the West is supposed to mean. His point is the way the showrunners seemed to show it made it very ominous.

I actually agree with that feeling. There must have been a better way to make it not seem so damn scary.
cbr
AG
Well, he was distractingly horribly cast in both.

Honestly i put off watching got for years bc the first scene i saw was that guy. But he's way worse as elrond. He should be in some pizza delivery guy sitcom.

Surprised people like the fairly frumpy galadriel too.

Fwiw i didnt think either galadriel was super well cast but lotr was better.
Claude!
Agree. I always had the understanding that elves chose to go to Valinor. Galadriel was actually offered a chance to go after Morgoth's defeat, but refused in part because she wanted to rule lands in Middle-Earth. She had been under ban because she took part in the Noldor rebellion, but the ban was rescinded as she took no part in the Kinslaying.

In the show, Gil-Galad makes it seem like a prize for good service rather than a choice elves are free to make.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
You have a fundamental misunderstanding of Valinor if you at all think it is similar to commiting suicide.
Duncan Idaho
I probably do. The way it was portrayed in the show made it seem more like they were addending to heaven or another realm. Not that they were going to another land.

note:I read the hobbit and lord of the rings o only and read those decades ago
The Porkchop Express
cbr said:

Surprised people like the fairly frumpy galadriel too.

A clear TexAgs 4.
Duncan Idaho
Yes I know Tolkien was Christian and close with they guy that wrote those books about what happens when Santa claus gives weapons to children.

So if it is actually supposed to be heaven , do the elves killed in battle get to go?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.