Saturday Night LIve

52,238 Views | 411 Replies | Last: 4 days ago by tk for tu juan
TXAG 05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I like Emma Stone, but last nights episode was not their best effort.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
TXAG 05 said:

I like Emma Stone, but last nights episode was not their best effort.

I watched until update began and turned it off. Literally didn't laugh once. Last night was bad.
torrid
AG
I was optimistic because she has been a good host in the past, but yeah nothing to write home about last night. That had to be the worst "5 timers" bit ever.
Garrelli 5000
AG
Back to Nate quickly as I'm just reading this thread.

We started watching him at most 2 years ago. For the unitiated, start with his episode on Netflix's "The Standups" then watch his solo specials in release order.

He doesn't do a lot of jokes based on past topics, but watching his 1st special he has a heavy tie-in to his standups stuff.

All that said - hands down my favorite comedian in years. Zero profanity and he's completely apolitical - there are no political jokes. The only person who gets made fun of is himself and his family.

I don't seek out non-profanity comics, but it is incredibly refreshing and you realize how many comedians randomly curse to try and make a mediocre joke funnier.
Take the trash out staff.
PatAg
AG
Adam Driver kills it on SNL
Texker
AG
Yeah, I decided to watch cuz nothing else on. Enjoyed the show. I'll refrain from specific comments on skits to avoid being a spoiler.
Prosperdick
AG
Garrelli 5000 said:

Back to Nate quickly as I'm just reading this thread.

We started watching him at most 2 years ago. For the unitiated, start with his episode on Netflix's "The Standups" then watch his solo specials in release order.

He doesn't do a lot of jokes based on past topics, but watching his 1st special he has a heavy tie-in to his standups stuff.

All that said - hands down my favorite comedian in years. Zero profanity and he's completely apolitical - there are no political jokes. The only person who gets made fun of is himself and his family.

I don't seek out non-profanity comics, but it is incredibly refreshing and you realize how many comedians randomly curse to try and make a mediocre joke funnier.

He also gives it pretty hard to that Joseph Bart who wouldn't check his bag. The Starbucks baristas and Serpentarium owner (RIP) take it on the chin as well.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
TCTTS
AG
Beep Beep and this one were great…

AgfromHOU
AG
I went to SNL last night and used the "beep beep" when getting on the elevator to leave
tk for tu juan
Listening to that cold open must have been uncomfortable in-person.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
How many hours were you in line? Could never bring myself to spend a night on the street in line.
AgfromHOU
AG
I wasn't in line, we had a ticket hookup. No way I could have waited in line either.
JYDog90
AG
I thought the gay couple trying to get pregnant was pretty funny.
double aught
AG
PatAg said:

Adam Driver seems to totally commit to every single one of the goofball characters the writers think up, and I love it.

Anyway, the tiny bag skit had me laughing. Marcello Hernandez is pretty funny.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Driver is one show away from the five timers club.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
And thassit.
JYDog90
AG
double aught said:

PatAg said:

Adam Driver seems to totally commit to every single one of the goofball characters the writers think up, and I love it.

Anyway, the tiny bag skit had me laughing. Marcello Hernandez is pretty funny.

I agree. His comedic timing is amazing.
ElephantRider
AG
This cast doesn't have any marquee names, but they have some underrated talent, especially among the younger ones. Dismukes, Sherman, Hernandez, Longfellow, etc.
Texker
AG
Another good show on 12/16.
tk for tu juan
Texker
AG
Lots of good moments, but that was the highlight of the show.

ABBA skit was awesome as was Whiskers r we.

Billie Ellish performances were on point.
Vince Blake
The "y'all need Jesus" joke was gold!
PatAg
AG
Watched the joke swap segment on youtube, because thats always funny. Didnt feel like tuning into an hour of Kate McKinnon centric skits though
The Porkchop Express
Vince Blake said:

Was the rare time that Jost gave as good as he got.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Maybe I was just conflating this, but do Jost and Che not always write each other's jokes for weekend update? Or is it only for Christmas? Always just seems like Jost at least is being put up to say things that Che wrote.
Counterpoint
AG
Definitely Not A Cop said:

Maybe I was just conflating this, but do Jost and Che not always write each other's jokes for weekend update? Or is it only for Christmas? Always just seems like Jost at least is being put up to say things that Che wrote.

Sometimes they do it for the season finale too, but there wasn't one last year because of the strike
AustinAg2K
The Porkchop Express said:

Vince Blake said:

Was the rare time that Jost gave as good as he got.

Yeah, my thought when watching was that it might be the first time Jost won joke swap.
AustinAg2K
Definitely Not A Cop said:

The joke swap is the only time they have a whole segment dedicated to it, but I am pretty sure Che will occasional slip stuff in throughout the season. There's a couple of times during the year where Jost will just start laughing and say, "Really?" And then proceeds to say something racist. I assume Che slipped a joke in there, but maybe Jost is just really racist.
oragator
I wonder if Jost knew Davis wasn't a real person?
But the genius of putting her out there and then making him tell race jokes? That's as good as it gets on that show for years.
AustinAg2K
PatAg said:

Watched the joke swap segment on youtube, because thats always funny. Didnt feel like tuning into an hour of Kate McKinnon centric skits though

I will never understand the appeal of Kate McKinnon. I tried watching some of the skits from last night and I just don't don't find humor in any of them. Some people really love her, though.
oragator
I've wondered too because she almost makes me turn the TV off when she comes on. finally decided, without asking a single other person about it, she's a unique blend of weird and strong, She never plays the weak damsel, even when she plays the oddball she is self sufficient, like in Barbie, and she's not that attractive (relative to Hollywood), so she's more of an every woman.
double aught
AG
Every time I see Jost I think that he goes home to ScarJo.
And I feel proud for him.
PatAg
AG
AustinAg2K said:

PatAg said:

I will never understand the appeal of Kate McKinnon. I tried watching some of the skits from last night and I just don't don't find humor in any of them. Some people really love her, though.
I've definitely laughed at sktis, or jokes, she has done in the past.
I just think she became lazy and started just being the same person in every skit. Maybe thats on writers, or maybe they all were happy to do it because audiences like it.
I hate lazy comedy, so it doesnt work for me.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.