*** JFK REVISITED: THROUGH THE LOOKING GLASS *** (Documentary)

24,766 Views | 349 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by TCTTS
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Hey Nav said:

I came across this short video of the legendary Red Duke. Never knew about his connection to the Governor.

A much longer interview which I'm finding very interesting, with two of the Doctors at Parkland. It's about an hour long.

Yeah, I was a med student at UTSW during the 50th anniversary and the surgeons that cared for JFK gave a grand rounds on what happened. Apparently Red Duke used to joke with them that he was the better surgeon since his patient (Connally) actually lived.

One of the surgeons claimed that he was physically pushed away by a SS officer when he tried to argue with Jackie that state protocol was to have the autopsy performed in the state the murder occurred in (or something to that effect).
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Yoda
AG
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag said:

One of the surgeons claimed that he was physically pushed away by a SS officer when he tried to argue with Jackie that state protocol was to have the autopsy performed in the state the murder occurred in (or something to that effect).
That argument is depicted in the underrated film, Parkland. Also corroborated in the first hand accounts told by secret service agent Jim Hill in his book, "Five Days in November".
Sapper Redux
Yoda said:

Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag said:

That argument is depicted in the underrated film, Parkland. Also corroborated in the first hand accounts told by secret service agent Jim Hill in his book, "Five Days in November".

Good job, Secret Service. The President is dead, but you sure showed that Doctor who's boss.
Guitarsoup
AG
Sapper Redux said:

Yoda said:

Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag said:

Good job, Secret Service. The President is dead, but you sure showed that Doctor who's boss.
I think it was the hospital admins or law enforcement.

But anyway, Jackie said she wasn't leaving without the body and they didn't know if it was a coordinated or foreign attack, so they wanted to get everyone back on AF1 to GTFO out of Dodge.

It wasn't about showing anyone who's boss, but getting out ASAP for all the VIPS. They were worried about additional attacks.
safety guy
AG
To me, there was one shooter. It is very plausible that shot 1, which should have been the easiest, hit the sign before hitting the target. But the next 2 were on target. But one thing folks are not factoring in is the pressure of actually shooting thr president at range, in a moving car. Think about the pressure pro basketball players have shooting free throws in a game ending situation. That pales in comparison with shooting the president multiple times at range in a moving car. That takes a special type of shooter.
Hey Nav
AG
Quote:

But one thing folks are not factoring in is the pressure of actually shooting thr president at range, in a moving car.

Just go to that window at the supposed place where Olswald did his shots.

Dealey Plaza is much smaller , if you have been there, than what all the TV film makes you think.

It's such a small area. It's an easy shot with a deer rifle.

It's so much more easy as a front shot, before the President's auto took the left turn.

Guitarsoup
AG
Hey Nav said:

Quote:

But one thing folks are not factoring in is the pressure of actually shooting thr president at range, in a moving car.

Dealey Plaza is much smaller , if you have been there, than what all the TV film makes you think.

It's so much more easy as a front shot, before the President's auto took the left turn.

But as a front shot, you have 3 dozen secret service agents looking right at you.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Sure, hitting a slow moving president is tougher than hitting a stationary paper target, but he was an accomplished trained marksman at much longer distances (2-3x). And it's not like it went perfectly in spite of being close. One shot hits the signal. One is a non-fatal wound. One hits its mark. 1 for 3 isn't exactly stone cold perfect sniper territory.
Hey Nav
AG
Quote:

But as a front shot, you have 3 dozen secret service agents looking right at you.

Yes , I understand your comment.

But, there were no 3 dozen agents looking. It just did not happen.
Guitarsoup
AG
Hey Nav said:

Quote:

If you fire your rifle a couple times from an open window directly in front of them as they travel towards the window, they are probably going to see you.

Fire it behind and they are less likely to see you.

People like Bob Jackson (photojournalist that took the famous Ruby/Oswald photo) that were there saw Oswald in the window and were able to give a description of him to police that was broadcast.
Stive
AG
Hey Nav said:

Quote:

Your claim is that no shots came from up there?
There's a whole lot of stupid that college can't fix. -My Grandfather
cbr
AG
Questions.

What tactics did hit teams use in that era?

I would think a good spot with a backup shooter and a couple of lookouts would make some sense.

Why does even the 'one gun in the book depository' theory argue that lho was actually the shooter? Or that it was not a conspiracy?

I tend to agree that the forensic evidence lines up better with the one shooter theory

I do have a hard time believing that from the zaprueder film based solely on personal experience.

but even if all shots came from the book depository, that doesnt change the countless descriptions of intimidation, cover ups, odd connections and histories, bungling or idiotic decisions, etc. make the lone nut theory implausible to me.

mrmill3218
AG
A couple questions for Soup:

First all, I read this whole thread and appreciate your thoughts and knowledge. It's pretty incredible.

I watched the first thirty minutes of the doc and a couple things stuck out to me. (I'm sure I'll have more questions whenever I get to watch the rest of it.)

The photos of LHO in his backyard - Why would he switch the hand his ring is on?

The rifle - It seems pretty clear that there are some inconsistencies to say the least. The length of the rifle found in the Depository is different than the one that LHO ordered. The clips where you attach a sling are on the bottom of the rifle that LHO ordered while the rifle that was found had these on the side.

Lastly, how come the bullet that was found on the stretcher was perfectly preserved? If it went through two bodies wouldn't it be obliterated?

What are the explanations for these issues? (I say this legitimately asking, not trying to be smart or anything.)
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Hey Nav said:

Quote:

This has always been my biggest reasoning for the multiple shooter theory. Why would a trained sniper purposefully take a harder shot unless he was triangulating with others?

The whole thing is weird.
Guitarsoup
AG
cbr said:

Questions.

What tactics did hit teams use in that era?

I would think a good spot with a backup shooter and a couple of lookouts would make some sense.

In Korea, apparently the Marines used 2-man sniper teams, but the Army would just send 1 sniper out to a 10-man team and the sniper would go where he was told to. https://www.americanrifleman.org/content/sniping-in-korea-1950-1953/

Up until Kennedy, most hits seemed to be Mafia-type hits. Someone gets shot on the street leaving a bar or restaurant. Lured to a back room and shot. Things like that. Seemed to be all pistol deaths.

After Kennedy, MLK was shot with a .30-06, but most other assassinations and attempts (George Wallace, Larry Flynt, Reagan, Lennon, RFK, etc) were done with handguns.

Quote:

Why does even the 'one gun in the book depository' argue that lho was the shooter?

I don't think anyone at TBD recalls seeing people inside that didn't belong. There was only one staircase to the top and one cargo elevator that had slats so you can see through, so sneaking up and back down would be difficult. The rifle was LHO's rifle. He worked in the building. His prints were on the rifle and the boxes.

Could someone else have taken the shots? I guess so. Is there any evidence that anyone other than Oswald took the shots from the TBD? Nope. In the absence of evidence that someone else took those shots (hard evidence or eyewitness testimony) have to assume it was LHO.

Also, Pulitzer Prize winning photojournalist Bob Jackson was was across the street taking pictures, heard the first shot and saw LHO in the window with the rifle. He gave police an accurate description of LHO as the shooter that went out in APBs.

Seems like pretty solid evidence that LHO was the shooter.

Quote:

Or that it was not a conspiracy?
We don't have any evidence of LHO being part of any conspiracy. That doesn't mean he wasn't and I don't think anyone will ever know for sure.

I believe that he could have been "wound up" or encouraged to do it, but without really knowing people were using him. "Man, life would be so much better if Kennedy was dead" or things like that. Plant the seeds.

But I don't think he went out to plan it with anyone. I don't think anyone was really counting on him to follow through with it.

Why would LHO have been good to conspire with?
* He was a trained Marine sharpshooter
* He had access to TBD

Why would LHO have NOT been good to conspire with?
* He was a loose cannon. As a Marine, he was court martialed for attacking his NCO. He shot himself with a handgun he wasn't supposed to have. He fired into the jungle in the phillipines while on guard duty for no reason. He was stripped of rank and sent to the brig.
* He wasn't trusted by anyone. He wasn't even really liked by anyone except George de M. His wife left him, because he was a violent wife-beating *******. He was fired from ~3 jobs in the little over a year he was back in the US.
* He wasn't a member of any major organizations that would do this. Did the mafia use a lot of ******* losers as hitmen? Did the CIA tend to recruit people that were high school drop outs, stripped of their rank and thrown in the, separated from the military on less than honorable circumstances,
* He wasn't wanted by anyone. He was disillusioned in the USSR in part because the Russians didn't really want anything to do with him.
* He was mentally unstable. He had attempted suicide. He was diagnosed with "personality pattern disturbance with schizoid features." He had been committed to a mental hospital.
* No one wanted to work with him at anything. That's why he was unpopular in the Marines, unpopular in Russia, unpopular in New Orleans, unpopular in Dallas. This was throughout his life, including childhood.

He wasn't an insider with any group. He wasn't liked or trusted by people (including his wife.) Just doesn't seem like the type of person anyone would want on the inside or their conspiracy to kill the most powerful man in the world.

Quote:

I tend to agree that the forensic evidence lines up better with the one shooter theory

It's all we have, really. There isn't any evidence that there was a shooter at any other location.

Quote:

I have a hard time believing that from the zaprueder film based solely on personal experience.

I don't really know what you are trying to say here? You have a hard time believing single shooter based on Zapruder?

I might feel the same way if I hadn't seen so many recreations done that explain some of the issues in it. The main thing is the head moving backwards, but that is pretty well explained by the force of the exit wound going forward, so the head has to act in an equal and opposite way.

Quote:

The countless descriptions of intimidation, cover ups, odd connections and histories, bungling or idiotic decisions, etc. make the lone nut theory implausible to me.

It is truly crazy all the mistakes, but I think we expect investigations to be perfect like CSI or Law & Order, and that isnt' reality. All these things are interesting, but don't really lead me away from the evidence. I think that the FBI and CIA probably wanted to cover up things they were doing wrong (like spying on and intimidating MLK).

There are supposed to be more documents released this week from the National Archives. Wonder what they will hold.
schmidthead
I'll defer to Soup's incredible knowledge but my observations and thoughts after watching this documentary a few times:

1. I think it's obvious that the gun LHO bought was just different than what was in the catalog. There will always be errors and inconsistencies in an investigation but this seems minor. I have no answer for the ring thing.

2. The "pristine" bullet slowed down after passing through JFK's back. A lot of conspiracy theorists claim shooting a bullet at a wrist bone (and not all of the other JFK/Connally injuries) would badly mangle the bullet. But these experiments do not account for a slower velocity. Regardless, if this was a conspiracy wouldn't you want to plant a highly damaged bullet so as to avoid the scrutiny of the "pristine" bullet?
Guitarsoup
AG
Champ Bailey said:

Hey Nav said:

Quote:

This has always been my biggest reasoning for the multiple shooter theory. Why would a trained sniper purposefully take a harder shot unless he was triangulating with others?

The whole thing is weird.
Because if you are firing from there, dozens of police and secret service are looking directly at you and will instinctively look at the sound of your rifle since it is right in front of them.

From the testimony of Master Sgt. Zuhn, the shot going down Elm was very easy for someone like Oswald. It was 83y and he had a 4x scope.

Also, the chance of him being seen by federal agents or police is significantly less when their back is to you. Obviously, part of his plan was to get away. Plus, War is Hell was showing in the theater. Good day to catch a matinee.
mrmill3218
AG
Last question: It seems (from the doc) that they were not able to lift any prints from the rifle.
JJxvi
AG
I think shooting from the front while the car was on Houston is actually a harder shot even if the distance is closer. During the drive toward you up Houston St, the target would be consistently moving downward in your field of view (the car is on the ground getting closer to you). You would either not be able to use something to rest and stabilize the rifle, or you could but youd have to raise yourself/head and the butt end of the rifle upwards in order to track. In addition, the windshield, and the other passengers in the car would potentially block your view of Kennedy for a significant portion of that drive.

The drive down elm, not only gives a clear shot on Kennedy because he is in the back of the car, but it is also on a downhill slope, which actually makes the target move slower in your view. Just like driving toward you moves the target down, driving away moves it up in your field of view, but on elm this is compensated for by also driving downhill. Much of the motion would by tracking slightly to the right, which I would think would be much easier than the up and down tracking youd be forced to do on Houston.

Guitarsoup
AG
mrmill3218 said:

The photos of LHO in his backyard - Why would he switch the hand his ring is on?

I can't tell you why LHO did thing he did, but it seems like a really minor thing to me. If you look through my facebook photos over the years, I have pics where my Aggie ring is on my right hand and pics where it is on my left hand. LHO also wore a Marine Corps ring, like any good communist would. Maybe that is what is seen in some photos.

Quote:

The rifle - It seems pretty clear that there are some inconsistencies to say the least. The length of the rifle found in the Depository is different than the one that LHO ordered. The clips where you attach a sling are on the bottom of the rifle that LHO ordered while the rifle that was found had these on the side.

I think that Stone is intentionally leaving out a photo that shows the attachment on the side. This seems to show the rope was attached on the side, not the bottom. He leaves out good, known information when it doesn't fit his narrative.

Quote:

Lastly, how come the bullet that was found on the stretcher was perfectly preserved? If it went through two bodies wouldn't it be obliterated?

Go back a couple pages, I wrote a lot about it yesterday with sources and videos showing it is possible. Basically the thought it this:
Bullet entered Kennedy at full speed, if barely nicked his vertebrae but essentially touched only soft tissue, so it slowed down, but didn't get deformed.
As it left Kennedy, it was slowing down and it started tumbling, so it struck Connally vertically, causing a vertical, irregular wound, which is consistent with Connally's wounds. This also caused it to tumble more.
Finally, it hit Connally's wrist, breaking it and came to rest just under the skin in his thigh. It barely penetrated Connally's thigh because it had slowed so much, but the thing that slowed it the most was entering Connally's ribs vertically, rather than "pointy-end first", like it did with JFK. So the wrist would usually cause a lot more damage to the bullet, but it was not going 1500-2000fps at the time, it was much slower, so the bullet stayed in tact.

While it looked pristine on one side, looking at the other view shows how it flatted from the impact on Connally.

Had it hit Kennedy's ribs, I think it would have more likely been obliterated.
Guitarsoup
AG
mrmill3218 said:

Last question: It seems (from the doc) that they were not able to lift any prints from the rifle.
The DPD handling certainly didn't help, but they did find LHO's prints on the barrel when it was disassembled.

Dallas Police: "It's wood, so there aren't any prints, let's play around with it!"
Also Dallas Police: "I can't visually see any prints on the bolt, so I'm just gonna start playing with it"

****ing idiots.
mrmill3218
AG
Thanks for the response! What about the fingerprint issue?
Guitarsoup
AG
schmidthead said:

I'll defer to Soup's incredible knowledge but my observations and thoughts after watching this documentary a few times:

1. I think it's obvious that the gun LHO bought was just different than what was in the catalog. There will always be errors and inconsistencies in an investigation but this seems minor. I have no answer for the ring thing.

2. The "pristine" bullet slowed down after passing through JFK's back. A lot of conspiracy theorists claim shooting a bullet at a wrist bone (and not all of the other JFK/Connally injuries) would badly mangle the bullet. But these experiments do not account for a slower velocity. Regardless, if this was a conspiracy wouldn't you want to plant a highly damaged bullet so as to avoid the scrutiny of the "pristine" bullet?
On#1: yes. He ordered the shorter barrel one, and received the longer barrel one because the shorter barrel ran out of stock. Actually probably better for accuracy for him.

On #2: Agree, they don't take into account he bullet hitting the ribs of connally vertically and being much slower by the time it hits the wrist.

Also agree, no one would plant a pretty good looking bullet. Maybe some fragments from hitting steel targets or something.
Guitarsoup
AG
mrmill3218 said:

What issue? Lack of finger prints doesn't say anything. His prints were on the underside of barrel of the rifle when it was disassembled, which probably kept DPD from ruining them, and his prints were found in the snipers' nest. I really don't see any inconsistencies. Especially when you see DPD handling it without gloves in the TBD. He very likely had prints on the action that DPD ruined when they worked the action on the 6th floor to eject the live round.
mrmill3218
AG
Guitarsoup said:

mrmill3218 said:

What issue? Lack of finger prints doesn't say anything. His prints were on the underside of barrel of the rifle when it was disassembled, which probably kept DPD from ruining them, and his prints were found in the snipers' nest. I really don't see any inconsistencies. Especially when you see DPD handling it without gloves in the TBD. He very likely had prints on the action that DPD ruined when they worked the action on the 6th floor to eject the live round.
In the doc it said that they couldn't pull a print from the rifle. I obviously don't know if that's entirely accurate.

Here is a good question though:

Is there anything about the case that makes you scratch your head? If you were in school and had to write a paper defending it being a conspiracy, what would you put forth?

Just curious.
safety guy
AG
One question I have on Oswald is how many people had he shot prior to November 22. We know of the one shooting attempt prior but had he had actual experience in combat shooting at adversaries. He was a trained shooter but the magnitude of the moment was extreme. He was precise on shots 2 and 3. Particularly on shot 3, the president was starting to shift after shot 2. Sure, the distance was not great but it still took extreme skill in that situation to be that precise.
Guitarsoup
AG
mrmill3218 said:

Guitarsoup said:

mrmill3218 said:

In the doc it said that they couldn't pull a print from the rifle. I obviously don't know if that's entirely accurate.

Here is a good question though:

Is there anything about the case that makes you scratch your head? If you were in school and had to write a paper defending it being a conspiracy, what would you put forth?

Just curious.

https://documents.latimes.com/lee-harvey-oswalds-palmprint-found-weapon/

There's no evidence i am aware of that is evidence of conspiracy.

I would focus on the mysterious trip to Mexico, because that's what we know the least about
mrmill3218
AG
Guitarsoup said:

mrmill3218 said:

I can't tell you why LHO did thing he did, but it seems like a really minor thing to me. If you look through my facebook photos over the years, I have pics where my Aggie ring is on my right hand and pics where it is on my left hand. LHO also wore a Marine Corps ring, like any good communist would. Maybe that is what is seen in some photos.

Quote:

I think that Stone is intentionally leaving out a photo that shows the attachment on the side. This seems to show the rope was attached on the side, not the bottom. He leaves out good, known information when it doesn't fit his narrative.

Quote:

Go back a couple pages, I wrote a lot about it yesterday with sources and videos showing it is possible. Basically the thought it this:
Bullet entered Kennedy at full speed, if barely nicked his vertebrae but essentially touched only soft tissue, so it slowed down, but didn't get deformed.
As it left Kennedy, it was slowing down and it started tumbling, so it struck Connally vertically, causing a vertical, irregular wound, which is consistent with Connally's wounds. This also caused it to tumble more.
Finally, it hit Connally's wrist, breaking it and came to rest just under the skin in his thigh. It barely penetrated Connally's thigh because it had slowed so much, but the thing that slowed it the most was entering Connally's ribs vertically, rather than "pointy-end first", like it did with JFK. So the wrist would usually cause a lot more damage to the bullet, but it was not going 1500-2000fps at the time, it was much slower, so the bullet stayed in tact.

While it looked pristine on one side, looking at the other view shows how it flatted from the impact on Connally.

I will note that this is the photo that is alleged to have been fake/staged, so it would make sense that the clips and sling were where they are shown.
aTmAg
AG
Rocagnante said:

Not an official conspiracy theory discussion until Spyderman chimes in.
TCTTS is the next best thing. So that is covered.
Agristotle
AG
Fascinating thread, thanks to all. Soup, your command of this subject is amazing.

My lone contribution, many years ago I had a buddy in the intelligence community (interesting bona fides) say that so many people wanted JFK dead that some THINK they did, but didn't. PERSONALLY, he thought LBJ was in it up to his eyeballs.

After reading "The Devil's Chessboard" it's entirely conceivable to me that Dulles and his ilk could and would do it.
aTmAg
AG
Agristotle said:

Fascinating thread, thanks to all. Soup, your command of this subject is amazing.

My lone contribution, many years ago I had a buddy in the intelligence community (interesting bona fides) say that so many people wanted JFK dead that some THINK they did, but didn't. PERSONALLY, he thought LBJ was in it up to his eyeballs.

After reading "The Devil's Chessboard" it's entirely conceivable to me that Dulles and his ilk could and would do it.
There is no way they could have kept it secret so long.
DannyDuberstein
AG
LHO was a violent, troubled guy from childhood, including constantly looking for acceptance but being too volatile to find it. Always made perfect sense that he might pull something like this to in his mind finally break through and be welcomed/celebrated. Doesn't make for a conspiracy.

I think he and Ruby were alike in some key ways. Ruby had his own delusions of grandeur
Guitarsoup
AG
mrmill3218 said:

Guitarsoup said:

mrmill3218 said:

Quote:

Quote:

I will note that this is the photo that is alleged to have been fake/staged, so it would make sense that the clips and sling were where they are shown.
Based on what, though? Because it is inconvenient? None of the photos are high quality or really detailed. In the other photos, you don't really see where the rope is attached, just that it is near the butt. No visible knot or attachment point.

Faking a photo in the early 60s is not a trifling thing that anyone could do.

Haters will say this is fake, too. But no, that's really Quinn Ewers.
mrmill3218
AG
Thanks for answering my questions. I will watch the rest of the doc and I'm sure will have many more.

Interestingly enough, one of my friend's dad's performed the funeral service for LHO.
Sapper Redux
mrmill3218 said:

Thanks for answering my questions. I will watch the rest of the doc and I'm sure will have many more.

Interestingly enough, one of my friend's dad's performed the funeral service for LHO.

Woah. That must have been surreal.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.