Scrubs?

16,747 Views | 179 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by DallasTeleAg
jeffk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hi Zach and Donald!
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

I emailed this thread to Joelle, the podcast producer and she wrote back saying she loved all the specific memories of people identifying with it and she had forwarded to both Zach and Donald to check out.

Oh wow cool..... I met Donald Faison I wonder if he remembers it. I mean it was VERY specific occasion.

So we used to have friends that shared a double suite at the old Texas Stadium where the Cowboys used to play. And they never used it for T-giving games so they gave us their half of the tickets every year. So this would have been 2007 and we were in our suite before the game and everyone in the stands in that end at least were turning around and gawking and looking into the suite above us. We could not see it of course so we asked people in the section just beneath us and they said Jessica Simpson was up there. Word had leaked that she was dating Romo and sure enough she was there for that game.

So we had a plan at halftime to go up there, using all the kids we had as an excuse to meet Jessica Simpson. We had probably 11 kids in the suite including my 2. So we went up there and I actually knocked on the door and this woman answered who someone in our group (who followed celeb gossip) recognized as Jessica's personal assistant and best friend Cacee Cobb. She may have in fact been dating Donald Faison by then I'm not sure. But they knew each other for sure. They later got married.

We asked if Jessica could just come say hi to the kids....she said she wasn't sure but she would ask. She came back a minute later and said Jessica would but it would be quick because she wanted to see Kelly Clarkson's hafltime show which would be starting soon. As she stepped back in Donald Faison came out and said kinda jokingly "hey .... anyone want to meet me???".... it was kinda funny though cuz I can guarantee you none of the kids with us knew who he was and not many of the parents either..... I fortunately recognized him but I am terrible with names especially on the spot like that and I said feigning it off a but "yeah yeah.... you know honey from uhhh Remember the Titans..... and uhhh Scrubs". He kinda sheepishly said "yeah I'm Donald Faison" and shook hands etc... we took a quick picture with him but nobody else took him up on it. He said "well I guess you just want to meet Jessica she'll be right out... she's actually touching up her makeup and sent me out to stall" and laughed.

He went back in and a minute later Jessica came out - all alone - which I thought was cool. She hugged all the kids and took pics with everyone in the hallway behind the suites. To be honest she was really sweet and personable and gracious to all of us. I got a side hug too for a pic with her and my wife and kids and definitely got some side boob contact - yes they were spectacular.

Still have those pics somewhere but I'd have to dig through many boxes. My good friend at the time was a huge Scrubs fan and was very jealous when i showed him the pic with Donald.

Anyway... Donald might remember it being such a specific event.

Tanya 93
Having recently started it, I love she calls him Bambi

It is motherly adorableness
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

MuckRaker96 said:

I emailed this thread to Joelle, the podcast producer and she wrote back saying she loved all the specific memories of people identifying with it and she had forwarded to both Zach and Donald to check out.

Oh wow cool..... I met Donald Faison I wonder if he remembers it. I mean it was VERY specific occasion.

So we used to have friends that shared a double suite at the old Texas Stadium where the Cowboys used to play. And they never used it for T-giving games so they gave us their half of the tickets every year. So this would have been 2007 and we were in our suite before the game and everyone in the stands in that end at least were turning around and gawking and looking into the suite above us. We could not see it of course so we asked people in the section just beneath us and they said Jessica Simpson was up there. Word had leaked that she was dating Romo and sure enough she was there for that game.

So we had a plan at halftime to go up there, using all the kids we had as an excuse to meet Jessica Simpson. We had probably 11 kids in the suite including my 2. So we went up there and I actually knocked on the door and this woman answered who someone in our group (who followed celeb gossip) recognized as Jessica's personal assistant and best friend Cacee Cobb. She may have in fact been dating Donald Faison by then I'm not sure. But they knew each other for sure. They later got married.

We asked if Jessica could just come say hi to the kids....she said she wasn't sure but she would ask. She came back a minute later and said Jessica would but it would be quick because she wanted to see Kelly Clarkson's hafltime show which would be starting soon. As she stepped back in Donald Faison came out and said kinda jokingly "hey .... anyone want to meet me???".... it was kinda funny though cuz I can guarantee you none of the kids with us knew who he was and not many of the parents either..... I fortunately recognized him but I am terrible with names especially on the spot like that and I said feigning it off a but "yeah yeah.... you know honey from uhhh Remember the Titans..... and uhhh Scrubs". He kinda sheepishly said "yeah I'm Donald Faison" and shook hands etc... we took a quick picture with him but nobody else took him up on it. He said "well I guess you just want to meet Jessica she'll be right out... she's actually touching up her makeup and sent me out to stall" and laughed.

He went back in and a minute later Jessica came out - all alone - which I thought was cool. She hugged all the kids and took pics with everyone in the hallway behind the suites. To be honest she was really sweet and personable and gracious to all of us. I got a side hug too for a pic with her and my wife and kids and definitely got some side boob contact - yes they were spectacular.

Still have those pics somewhere but I'd have to dig through many boxes. My good friend at the time was a huge Scrubs fan and was very jealous when i showed him the pic with Donald.

He's talked about going to that game on the podcast as being one of the first big things his now wife did for him and it being the first actual NFL game he went to, getting him obsessed with the NFL after.
Tomdoss92
AG
bagger05 said:

Fortnite thievery!!

Zombie Jon Snow
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

Zombie Jon Snow said:

MuckRaker96 said:

He's talked about going to that game on the podcast as being one of the first big things his now wife did for him and it being the first actual NFL game he went to, getting him obsessed with the NFL after.

Oh that's cool. Never heard that. I've watched the show but I don't follow like podcasts or anything. Beat the Jets that day badly.

Andyzipp
AG
Hey Zach, Danl, Joelle, and especially Donald!

Du Jour means Hello.
tamusc
AG
I was preMed at A&M during the first few seasons and still work in healthcare. The show is in my all time top 5 due to it's constant balance of absolute laughs and heart. Still find it funny how a show like Scrubs gets most of the medical stuff so right compared to most shows.

I do a full 8-season watch through every year or so and just wrapped one up a few weeks ago prompted by listening to Bill's podcast.

My wife and I loved Ted Lasso, mostly due the fact that it had that same mix of heart and laughs as Scrubs. Made so much more sense when I realized it was another Bill Lawrence show.
scrimp
AG
As far as the music goes, they talked about it on the podcast a bit.... Think the episode is115 with Randall Winston. If I recall correctly, the comments of "music rights negotiated before streaming was a thing" is essentially correct. When they produce it for streaming, they had to go back and pay for the musical rights, and they had to make some budget decisions on what to keep and what to cut.

Also, on streaming a couple of the episodes are missing due to use of blackface. Bill Lawrence (show creator) requested they be pulled during the racial unrest earlier this year. He stated that he would like to edit to remove those parts, but due to COVID, etc it was easier to pull them and they will attempt to edit later on. This is also talked about in the podcast as well--another thumbs up--it's a great companion for a rewatch of the show.

Also, I think season 9 gets too much hate. If you look at is as a spinoff, it's not as bad as people make it out to be..... Season 8 wrapped up so perfectly, and many of the actors had started moving on to other projects as ABC didn't commit to another season until very very late. Season 9 wasn't terrible, but it surely wasn't "Scrubs".
tamusc
AG
scrimp said:

Also, I think season 9 gets too much hate. If you look at is as a spinoff, it's not as bad as people make it out to be..... Season 8 wrapped up so perfectly, and many of the actors had started moving on to other projects as ABC didn't commit to another season until very very late. Season 9 wasn't terrible, but it surely wasn't "Scrubs".
Agreed, if you think of season 9 as a separate spin-off show it's decent and seemed to find itself a little at the end. Calling it season 9 after coming off the absolutely perfect series finale in season 8 was just too much for many to look past though.
mrmill3218
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

Nothing beats that ending and that song with it.

I'm not one to cry much, but I wept like a baby during this.
Azariah
AG
I haven't even responded in this thread yet, and the idea of Zach and Donald reading makes me a bit trembly. The first few months of lockdown were so much more bearable listening to these guys twice a week. I completely understand Zach wanting to get some writing in, but now that it's down to once a week it's gone from feeling like a group I'm hanging out with to a regular show that I listen to/watch.

Looking forward to them making it to Texas once they start going on the road.

Favorite memory of the first run of this show is stealing them off the Internet and pressing play with a buddy on the phone simultaneously so that we could watch together while we were both home.
agdaddy04
AG
jeffk said:

This is correct - the DVDs and iTunes have all the original songs.

Why don't the streaming ones? Licensing issues?
TV Casualty
AG
agdaddy04 said:

jeffk said:

I would imagine it's the rights holders of the songs and their lawyers being too stupid to realize that having the songs on these shows would lead to good exposure.

I seriously doubt Rhett Miller is sitting somewhere thinking "those *******s from scrubs better not be streaming my song Come Around on Hulu, I only signed off on the broadcast TV rights dammit".
jac4
AG
I was in medical school and residency during most of it's run. Always has been my favorite medical show. The humor and medical stuff were always great, but the heart of the show was top notch. The Brendan Frasier episode always gets me.

I'm actually not sure if I have watched season 8, I'll probably wait a few years before watching it.
PlanoAggie
AG
Great thread! I used to love this show. Haven't watched it since it was on TV back in the day.
scrimp
AG
Scrubs still holds up after 20+ years. Sure, some of the jokes are a bit dated, but most of the humor is timeless. It is interesting rewatching and finding jokes that I don't think would get aired in todays climate. Like this one....

In today's ultra sensitive world, I'm not sure this gets past the standards and practices people
DallasTeleAg
Its sad, but true.
Jim01
AG
BBD was on the American Music Awards last night and did Poison. All I could think was what a travesty it was that Donald wasn't on stage breaking it down!
King moto moto
AG
From all things Scrubs, thetoddtime.com spin-off was and still my all-time favorite.

Ol Army 01 Post Boobs
Azariah
AG
agdaddy04 said:

jeffk said:

It's covered earlier in this thread and addressed by Bill Lawrence on the podcast. When the show started, streaming rights weren't a thing people negotiated, so all the rights for that music had to be renegotiated once streaming became a thing. The budget for music was only so big.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Scrubs as a TV Sitcom.
OMG Sarah Chalke and the Janitor's Kramer-esque interest.

TV Casualty
AG
Uh or helloooo Doctor!
Mucho austin
AG
I also would like to welcome Zach and Donald to the thread. Happy lurking, but please join and chat.

We are very welcoming to TV personalities. (See Cliff Hogg from Big Brother)

User name suggestions:
Eeeeagleeee
Dr. Acula
Jan Itor
Cal Turk
Floating Head Doctor
The Porch
Post removed:
by user
Mucho austin
AG
third coast.. said:

Am I the only one that finds it wild and ridiculous that their introduction to this board will be a guy telling a story about feeling up Jessica simpson?

JD could relate. Appletinis make him handsy
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
third coast.. said:

Am I the only one that finds it wild and ridiculous that their introduction to this board will be a guy telling a story about feeling up Jessica simpson?
jealous much?
Carlo4
AG
Mucho austin said:

I also would like to welcome Zach and Donald to the thread. Happy lurking, but please join and chat.

User name suggestions:
Eeeeagleeee
Dr. Acula
Jan Itor
Cal Turk
Floating Head Doctor
The Porch

B9 and a half
Slagathor
AG
Carlo4 said:

Mucho austin said:

User name suggestions:
Eeeeagleeee
Dr. Acula
Jan Itor
Cal Turk
Floating Head Doctor
The Porch

B9 and a half
Slagathor
Boing Fwip
Rowdy
Pancake Drawer
Chocolate Bear
The Dudemeister
Knife Wrench (for kids!)
Mucho austin
AG
Happy thanksgiving

Turk Turkleton
AG
For my birthday this year some good buddies went to Cameo and got the Todd to record me a birthday message. As you can imagine he filled 3 minutes with every sexual innuendo (in your endo) he could possibly squeeze in. It was a thing of beauty.
redline248
AG
Man, I love Scrubs. Huge crush on Sarah Chalke that has not gone away. Shoe shopping!

Thanks to this thread I'll probably start watching it next week.

When y'all talk about season 9, is that the one with all the young new kids in medical school?
OldShadeOfBlue
AG
Weird... GF and I just started watching Scrubs earlier this week.
rhutton125
AG
I liked some of the interns that were set up in S8 but I think they're mostly gone by S9? (I heeded everyone's advice and stopped at the end of 8)
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
I have two separate lists when I talk about shows. There's the "best shows" list which I rank them more based on the technical terms, with The Wire topping that list, and then I have a "favorite shows" list, and Scrubs is squarely at number 1.

I typically hate medical dramas, mainly because most of them are terrible, but also because they get so much wrong, and not really just talking about the medicine. Despite the goofiness and absurdity, Scrubs is the most realistic representation of medicine I have seen on TV or movies. They just perfectly encapsulate the relationships, the feelings we have towards hospital administration at times, our feelings towards certain types of patients, the sense of failure, the feelings of triumph, the morbid humor, and the overall humanity. I have a couple JD-Carla type relationships with nurse friends. I had an attending in residency just like Dr. Cox who we now still keep in touch frequently years after graduating and I still consider him a mentor. And I have made several life long friends.

I started watching this show towards the end of medical school and re-watched it 2-3 times in residency, and another 2-3 times since becoming an attending. There is no other show on TV that had the heart that this one had or switched between silly and serious as well as it did. They'd give you 18 minutes of silly, and then drop a 100 lb weight on your chest in the final 2-3 minutes, and they did it so smoothly. I still get choked up just reading the phrase "where do you think we are?"
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.