Scrubs?

16,744 Views | 179 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by DallasTeleAg
FightnFarmerUSMC
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Carlo4 said:

West Point Aggie said:

Halfway though season 2...this series has some real gems. I can't think of another show with the combo or poignant, funny, sad, quirky and a little weird!

Glad this thread was started!

Keep watching. It gets better.... all the things you said... even the sad moments.
Where do you think we are?
FightnFarmerUSMC
AG
Also, don't know if it's been posted on the thread yet, but Shea Serrano has an EXCELLENT series of essays on Scrubs that you can buy in pdf form. He's been a guest on the podcast a few times.

https://gumroad.com/l/ySrff
Carlo4
AG
FightnFarmerUSMC said:

Carlo4 said:

West Point Aggie said:

Halfway though season 2...this series has some real gems. I can't think of another show with the combo or poignant, funny, sad, quirky and a little weird!

Keep watching. It gets better.... all the things you said... even the sad moments.

I.... should know.... who I am by now....
Stupe
S
FightnFarmerUSMC said:

Carlo4 said:

West Point Aggie said:

That scene made me more sad than Fry's dog outside the pizzeria.
jeffk
AG
My Screw Up was my top episode pick for a long time, but Steak Night passed it up on my last watch-through.
Tanya 93
Saw Polyphonic Spree last night
policywonk98
AG
FYI
Colin Hay moved his 2020 US Tour into 2021.
http://www.colinhay.com/tour/

He is doing some great venues throughout the country. I really hope the tour happens. I'm getting worried the dates weren't shifted late enough in the year.

For those not listening to the Fake Doctors Real Friends podcast. Braff talks about Hay and highly recommends his concert. Says its an incredible experience. I would trust pretty much whatever he says in this regard.

As far as this show. I can't believe we are coming up on 20 years next fall. Wife and I watched the series premiere on TV and we were hooked. It was the only show we scheduled around from 2001-2009. And I run through the entire series almost every single year. Including season 9! (But I do agree, the complete scrubs experience and one of the best series endings of all time is Season 1-8)

If you like this show and aren't listening to Fake Doctors Real Friends, do yourself a favor and listen. Its great entertainment. Just be aware, its R Rated conversation. Recommend not having it playing on an open speaker with children around.

For those that are now considering watching scrubs because of this thread. As already mentioned, some of the music is changed in the streaming version of the show because of streaming rights. If you never watched the show the first time around it won't matter I guess. But the soundtrack is a major part of this show. Some of the replacement songs just aren't the same. We have the DVDs and I'm glad I still have them, they have all the original music from the show's network run.

MROD92

''Tis the season
scrimp
AG
The Fake Doctors... podcast had an interesting insight into the episode "My Rule of Thumb" (Season 3, episode 10). The script was originally written with a terminal patient, and Elliot and Carla go on a hunt for marijuana to ease her chemotherapy symptoms. Standards and practices rejected the script based on the "marijuana as medicine" idea. The script was re-written as the patient was a virgin and Elliot and Carla go on a hunt to find a male prostitute for the patient, which was ok'd by S&P.

The prostitute story line seems more risque than a marijuana story line to me......even back then. Interesting how the attitudes toward MMJ have shifted so quickly in the last ~10 years.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
policywonk98 said:

FYI
Colin Hay moved his 2020 US Tour into 2021.
http://www.colinhay.com/tour/

He is doing some great venues throughout the country. I really hope the tour happens. I'm getting worried the dates weren't shifted late enough in the year.

For those not listening to the Fake Doctors Real Friends podcast. Braff talks about Hay and highly recommends his concert. Says its an incredible experience. I would trust pretty much whatever he says in this regard.

As far as this show. I can't believe we are coming up on 20 years next fall. Wife and I watched the series premiere on TV and we were hooked. It was the only show we scheduled around from 2001-2009. And I run through the entire series almost every single year. Including season 9! (But I do agree, the complete scrubs experience and one of the best series endings of all time is Season 1-8)

If you like this show and aren't listening to Fake Doctors Real Friends, do yourself a favor and listen. Its great entertainment. Just be aware, its R Rated conversation. Recommend not having it playing on an open speaker with children around.

For those that are now considering watching scrubs because of this thread. As already mentioned, some of the music is changed in the streaming version of the show because of streaming rights. If you never watched the show the first time around it won't matter I guess. But the soundtrack is a major part of this show. Some of the replacement songs just aren't the same. We have the DVDs and I'm glad I still have them, they have all the original music from the show's network run.

"Beautiful World" by Colin Hay is a top-20 all-time favorite song of mine that I never would have heard of without Scrubs.
Tanya 93
I am now in season 6

I am angry and sad over certain events that have happened this season
nosoupforyou
AG
for example...
Tanya 93
nosoupforyou said:

for example...
Lying about a miscarriage

Laverne dying
policywonk98
AG
Same.

I'm thankful Bill Lawrence and Christa Miller re-introduced Colin Hay to me and an American general audience and did it in such a fun and creative way.

He's been in my weekly rotation for 15 years now and I just can't get tired of him.

Dr. Cox taking his guitar and slamming it against the wall is one of my favorite scenes in the entire show. Obviously not because I hate Hay. Its just a great JD imagination breakaway encapsulating the Cox personae.

Carlo4
AG
Tanya 93 said:

nosoupforyou said:

for example...

Laverne dying
My wife hated JD the entire series as a character... until the miscarriage episode... and then she dropped it as NO one deserves that to happen.

Carlo4
AG
I always think of Animal House when I see this scene also.
Tanya 93
Carlo4 said:

Tanya 93 said:

nosoupforyou said:

for example...

Laverne dying
My wife hated JD the entire series as a character... until the miscarriage episode... and then she dropped it as NO one deserves that to happen.

I have been documenting on facebook my thoughts on the series. Everyone is thankful it is not here

And while I think JD is funny and quirky, his thing where he never was interested in Elliot unless she was involved with someone else pissed me off beyond belief.

But Kim is the worst. There was no justification for that and then to whine because he didn't want to meet up with you in a bar to "talk?"

DallasTeleAg
Turk is a good friend.

Carlo4
AG
Tanya 93 said:

Carlo4 said:

Tanya 93 said:

nosoupforyou said:

for example...

Laverne dying

I have been documenting on facebook my thoughts on the series. Everyone is thankful it is not here

And while I think JD is funny and quirky, his thing where he never was interested in Elliot unless she was involved with someone else pissed me off beyond belief.

But Kim is the worst. There was no justification for that and then to whine because he didn't want to meet up with you in a bar to "talk?"

JD wants what he can't have. Huge critical part to his character.
Azariah
AG
Podcast caught up with the Michael J Fox story in season three. It's not like I forgot about it, but watching him act in that performance was really good. The podcast connected his weak moment scene with Fox's real life disease in a way I'd never thought of before.
Tanya 93
I finished seasons 1-8

Don't judge me!
I barely sleep

That ending of 8 made me tear up

Season 9 so far sucks more than bacon infused ranch dressing on pizza

I MISS CARLA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
DallasTeleAg
West Point Aggie
AG
Tanya 93 said:

I finished seasons 1-8

Don't judge me!
I barely sleep

That ending of 8 made me tear up

Season 9 so far sucks more than bacon infused ranch dressing on pizza

I MISS CARLA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why are you doing this to yourself? Season 9 is another far less good show.
Let’s Go Brandon!
Tanya 93
I could not binge 9

Took me several days to get thru it

But the first 8 seasons are some of funniest, smartest episodes in 40 years
Ornithopter
AG
I warned you at the start of the first page, and you fulfilled the prophecy anyways.
Tanya 93
DubFalls said:

I warned you at the start of the first page, and you fulfilled the prophecy anyways.
I finish series that I start

Eventually
DallasTeleAg
Tanya 93 said:

DubFalls said:

I finish series that I start

Eventually
Season 9 is not part of the "series". Season 8 had a "Series Finale"!!!
Tanya 93
Although

A 2 hour special on Izzy and Sam getting married would probably get big ratings
Callate Donnie
Wife and I are making our way through the show (again) as just something mindless to turn on at the end of the day. Every other episode we see something and both laugh about how there is no way it would fly in today's socio/political climate.

Last night (somewhere in Season 4) JD exclaims "I don't have gay jungle fever!" Ya. Guessing that wouldn't play these days.
PatAg
AG
policywonk98 said:

Same.

I'm thankful Bill Lawrence and Christa Miller re-introduced Colin Hay to me and an American general audience and did it in such a fun and creative way.

He's been in my weekly rotation for 15 years now and I just can't get tired of him.

Dr. Cox taking his guitar and slamming it against the wall is one of my favorite scenes in the entire show. Obviously not because I hate Hay. Its just a great JD imagination breakaway encapsulating the Cox personae.

This is the main one that stays with me from the show, song wise.
nosoupforyou
AG
great bump!
bearamedic99
AG
I love the acoustic Overkill
C@LAg
This is also Colin James Hay:

El_duderino
I started over again after not having watched it in probably 5 years. I forgot how good of a show it is.
tehmackdaddy
AG
powerbelly said:

J-Quob said:

Scrubs always did a killer job with its soundtrack.
The streaming episodes don't have the original soundtrack.

This is a bummer.

1) My third oldest (who lives with me) is at the right age and I mentioned to her recently that we should start watching "Scrubs" together (it's one of my favorites, but it's been a couple of years since I watched it). It's on Hulu and Prime, so streaming is easy.

2) The soundtrack is a big part of the show.

3) XW got the DVDs in the divorce.

Amazon doesn't have the complete series in DVD format so it looks like I'll be buying the individual seasons, though i do wonder how much of the original soundtrack was cut/replaced.

Off topic: "That 70's Show" is her favorite and she's been bummed ever since it left Netflix. I figured some platform would have picked such a popular show up by now.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.