***** The Boys Season 2 *****

31,129 Views | 318 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by OCEN99
boboguitar
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Decay said:

I'm a little confused though about the whole Portland thing though. Like they set her up to be a streetwise/social media savvy character, with the expectation that she's gonna start getting into social issues and ****, which by now is "so needed" but getting really tired.

So I appreciate a pivot but... electric Hitler?! I get there's a comic tie in but now I have no idea wtf her character even is.
I mean, if the alt right was a super hero is what it looks like to me.
Duncan Idaho
Just a word of warning:
Do not google "stormfront, portland the boys". Pretty sure that will get you on a dhs short list.

But seriously, stormfront in the comic is a literal nazi and stormfront is a real life "white nationalist" (cough nazi cough cough) website.

Decay
AG
I know that to Hollywood, that's what they think it's like when you wear a red hat. That's not what I'm asking.

I'm talking about everything before she started killing minorities for funsies. They weren't setting the character up for that at all, in my opinion.
Duncan Idaho
I don't get your point. She is named after a literal nazi website and you expected her to be Cartman with a cap?
jeffk
AG
No, you're right. I figured she'd probably have a sadistic streak, but the racism sort of was at odds with how they'd set her up in the two episodes so far.
boboguitar
AG
jeffk said:

No, you're right. I figured she'd probably have a sadistic streak, but the racism sort of was at odds with how they'd set her up in the two episodes so far.
Any examples of traits that are the anti-thesis of her racist reveal?
The Debt
Maybe it's because people expect her to be a SWJ...and our current zeitgeist is realizing antifa is actually nazifa.

I mean...cmon they hospitalized a gay Asian reporter....
The Debt
jeffk
AG
boboguitar said:

jeffk said:

Hmmm... I guess not. Her conversations with Starlight just made me think they were going a different direction with her. It's not a complaint really and I'm not busted up over it. Just surprised is all. (I haven't read the comic either.)
Decay
AG
boboguitar said:

jeffk said:

It's nothing over the top like handing out puppies in the hood or anything. But a few things jumped out at me that made me think she was going to turn out SJW (really I was thinking they'd make her an Antifa charicature so they really went 180 from my expectations):

-The "these suits need pockets" line is a feminist talking point about men-designed women's clothing
-She's a young white woman from a liberal city, with dark hair and an alternative haircut
-She's all into social media and livestreamed her intro
-She doesn't like the big corporation Vought and had disdain for the company heros
-She kinda bonded with Starlight a little over hating Vought and being tired of the way they were being used

Just a few things that come to mind. I think there were more. I definitely didn't notice anything that pointed to the wildass racist they went with.
The Debt
Duncan Idaho
Decay said:

boboguitar said:

jeffk said:

It's nothing over the top like handing out puppies in the hood or anything. But a few things jumped out at me that made me think she was going to turn out SJW (really I was thinking they'd make her an Antifa charicature so they really went 180 from my expectations):

-The "these suits need pockets" line is a feminist talking point about men-designed women's clothing
-She's a young white woman from a liberal city, with dark hair and an alternative haircut
-She doesn't like the big corporation Vought and had disdain for the company heros
-She kinda bonded with Starlight a little over hating Vought and being tired of the way they were being used

Just a few things that come to mind. I think there were more. I definitely didn't notice anything that pointed to the wildass racist they went with.

The pockets thing is a running thing will all chicks. So I wouldn't read too much into that

Portland might be kind of liberal now but oregon was founded as a literal white state.
https://www.oregonlive.com/history/2020/06/oregons-founders-sought-a-white-utopia-a-stain-of-racism-that-lives-on-even-as-state-celebrates-its-progressivism.html

Her haircut is supposed to be an undercut is viewed (right or wrong thanks to Richard spencer) as an alt-right hair cut.
https://www.haaretz.com/us-news/.premium.MAGAZINE-how-america-s-alt-right-got-its-signature-hairstyle-1.5495494

The alt-right was built on masterful use of social media.

The dostain of vaught is pretty much in line for a populist movement. Hell someone even became president with similar fake populism

Decay
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

Decay said:

boboguitar said:

jeffk said:

The pockets thing is a running thing will all chicks. So I wouldn't read too much into that

Portland might be kind of liberal now but oregon was founded as a literal white state.
https://www.oregonlive.com/history/2020/06/oregons-founders-sought-a-white-utopia-a-stain-of-racism-that-lives-on-even-as-state-celebrates-its-progressivism.html

Her haircut is supposed to be an undercut is viewed (right or wrong thanks to Richard spencer) as an alt-right hair cut.
https://www.haaretz.com/us-news/.premium.MAGAZINE-how-america-s-alt-right-got-its-signature-hairstyle-1.5495494

The dostain of vaught is pretty much in line for a populist movement. Hell someone even became president with similar fake populism

Come on, that Portland one is silly. Everyone ties those together now.

I'll totally give you the haircut though, I didn't think about the undercut being a Richard Spencer thing. The rest of it, okay yeah it's 2020. Have at it.

Anyway, so a question I have for you guys that read it that way, was if you saw that coming? It was a big reversal for me.
jeffk
AG
Speaking of, the Asian community is really having a tough time in this show so far.
FightinTexasAg15
AG
Hughie compares himself to Katniss from Hunger Games, but in the first Hunger Games movie Katniss kills him in the event
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Decay
AG
Watched new Ep over lunch. Butcher short actually was some nice context into who Billy is and how his wife knows who he is and what he's like.

And uh, that ****ing shape shifter. DUDE.
Burrus86
AG

I can't remember the last time I laughed as hard when watching this scene!
RikkiTikkaTagem
AG
Lots of dialogue in Episode 4 but really think it sets the stage nicely for what's going to happen
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Duncan Idaho
Just one episode this week?
AgLiving06
Episode 4...Wow.

This show is insanity.
RikkiTikkaTagem
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

Just one episode this week?

Yes, 8 episodes total. Next four will be realized on fridays one at a time
Bones08
AG
Homelander and Anthony Starr continue to be amazing.

I love that Homelander has become such a terrifying presence in this show that I fear him even when he isn't part of the scene - I'm constantly bracing myself for the "woosh" of his arrival.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

Decay said:

boboguitar said:

jeffk said:

Stormfront is likely one of Vought's original experiments, and an actual Nazi. Get storyline is likely that she's pissed at what the company has done with his work or that he commercialized it in the US instead of helping Germany. Remember, Edgar said Vought developed compound V and had subjects deployed in the field when Oppenheimer was working on the bomb and that he'd been working on it in Germany until '44. He either knows who she is and brought her in to contain homelander, or he doesn't and she's worked her way into vought to launch a supe revolution. That's what makes the most sense given Stormfront's background in the original and her disdain for the company.

I think she ultimately goads Homelander into losing his **** to bring down vought and then picks up the pieces/kills him with other supes. I also think Gecko isn't done. He's part of the internal takeover that raynor mentions before she dies.
Max Power
AG
Bones08 said:

I love that Homelander has become such a terrifying presence in this show that I fear him even when he isn't part of the scene - I'm constantly bracing myself for the "woosh" of his arrival.
He's so good, deserves an Emmy nomination IMO. Been really impressed with a number of the cast members, but he's so great. I don't know if this show gets much play with the voters, but damn it should. The feeling of dread is palpable, you're right, it doesn't matter if he's in the scene or not, it feels like he's around the corner.
jeffk
AG
Yeah, I get tense anytime Hughie and Starlight meet out in the open just waiting for Homelander to squash them both.
The Debt
I absolutely loved Homelander and Maeve on the talk show "weve got an African american in the Seven, we got Black Noir....who doesnt identify with anything....so we got one of those"

SNES Chalmers
Awwww, nobody exploded in this episode
bluefire579
AG
Bones08 said:

I'm the exact same way in expecting him to pop up in every scene. Dude's been fantastic at playing the part, and he just keeps going further and further off the deep end
Saxsoon
AG
The Debt said:

I absolutely loved Homelander and Maeve on the talk show "weve got an African american in the Seven, we got Black Noir....who doesnt identify with anything....so we got one of those"

That whole scene was so beautifully executed.
redline248
AG
Man, watching this show must turn my brain off, or something. I did not pick up on the racism vibe from Stormfront, at all. I just figured she was another psycho supe like Homelander, just killing people cuz she was pissed or something.

I mean, having read the posts, in hindsight I guess it's pretty obvious...but did y'all figure it out from watching or from background knowledge in the comics?
Saxsoon
AG
redline248 said:

Man, watching this show must turn my brain off, or something. I did not pick up on the racism vibe from Stormfront, at all. I just figured she was another psycho supe like Homelander, just killing people cuz she was pissed or something.

I mean, having read the posts, in hindsight I guess it's pretty obvious...but did y'all figure it out from watching or from background knowledge in the comics?
I mean she called him a Yellow *******. And then you look back at the building she destroyed and it was a low income majority black building. I didn't catch the race of the folks she killed at first, just more surprised she was a psycho like Homelander. But the yellow comment had me re-evaluate.
redline248
AG
Ok, I remember that comment, but I think I was so surprised she turned out to be a murdering psycho that I didn't make the immediate connection.
Decay
AG
It's easy to miss things in this show because it goes off the rails real quick. I think every episode has at least one scene where I feel like I'm laughing out loud just because it's so insane and terrible I don't have any other way to process the information.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.