Sanderson Stormlight

81,482 Views | 987 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by heddleston
Chipotlemonger
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just saw that there's like an "in between" book between the 2nd and 3rd in this series? Is it a recommended or necessary read? Novella called Edgedancer.

shaynew1
AG
Not necessary but read it.

ETA: seriously I really enjoyed it. It is recommended.
heddleston
AG
It's pretty awesome and in the grand scheme of stormlight it's a pretty easy fun read. It has some pretty important stuff in it that affects Oathbringer as well as fleshes out a pretty cool place on Roshar, so I'd say you need to read it.
bearamedic99
AG
It's a lighter read, once you get used to the protagonist, and the protagonist shows up more in book 3. Read it.

Bottom line- It's Brandon Sanderson. Low chance you won't enjoy it if you like his other stuff.
hunter2012
AG
Edgedancer is excellent, up with Mistborn Secret History and Emperor's Soul in terms of supplemental material. Lift is the main character and she has chapters in Words of Radiance and even more in Oathbringer. There's definitely a story behind the story in all of the Cosmere's worlds. I would highly recommend at least reading the 3 stories I've mentioned above. Edgedancer in particular connects the dots for 2 major characters in Oathbringer. But if your going to read that you might as well buy or checkout Arcanum Unbounded.
Proposition Joe
Didn't know it existed until after I finished Oathbringer. Started it a few nights ago and enjoying it. Wish I had read it before Book 3 as it definitely fleshes out Lift a lot more before her appearances in Oathbringer.

Incredible writer that he can write some characters so seriously and then write a character like Lift in such an enjoyable manner.
W.C. Griffin '09
AG
I really enjoyed it. Lift is an entertaining character
Chipotlemonger
AG
Cool, I remember the small Lift interlude from Words of Radiance. Will definitely read Edgedancer. Thank y'all for the input.
bearamedic99
AG
I dread the day people do not know your namesake.
AgHawkeye
AG
Holy cow... Sanderson is not messing around. Rhythm of War is listed as 55 hours and 30 minutes on Audible pre-order!! Oathbringer was right at 55 and was longer than the first two (45 and 48 hours). Dude just writes.
Engine10
AG
Just got to the Lift interludes today in Words of Radiance. Thanks for the heads up! **** is about to pop off
Another Doug
AG
AgHawkeye said:

Holy cow... Sanderson is not messing around. Rhythm of War is listed as 55 hours and 30 minutes on Audible pre-order!! Oathbringer was right at 55 and was longer than the first two (45 and 48 hours). Dude just writes.

George R.R. Martin - Hurry up dude, or you wont be able to finish all your novels before you die.
Brandon Sanderson - Slow down dude, or I wont be able to finish all your novels before I die.
W.C. Griffin '09
AG
Beware of Doug said:

AgHawkeye said:

George R.R. Martin - Hurry up dude, or you wont be able to finish all your novels before you die.
Brandon Sanderson - Slow down dude, or I wont be able to finish all your novels before I die.

So true
AgLaw
AG
AgHawkeye said:

I think he's said his goal is to publish two or three novels per year. That's pretty ambitious.
Hudson2508
AG
Definitely a good read and adds some background to a great character.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Forgot you were a fellow reader of this too! Should've reached out to ask.
Proposition Joe
And makes me remember one of my favorite parts from Oathbringer:

"Were you thinkin' you'd fight them all on your own?" Lift said. "With a book?" "There is someone else for me to fight here." " With a book?" "Yes." She shook her head. "Sure, all right. Why not? What do you want me to do?"

The girl didn't match the conventional ideal of a Knight Radiant. Not even five feet tall, thin and wiry, she looked more urchin than soldier. She was also all he had. "Do you have a weapon?" he asked. "Nope. Can't read." "Can't" Dalinar looked down at his book. "I meant a real weapon, Lift." "Oh! Yeah, I've got one a those."
Proposition Joe
Finished Edgedancer last night. What an enjoyable author in that he even has an epilogue that tells you why he did certain things ("this event didn't fit the timeline so I needed to give the reader something that showed the shift from this to this").

It took me some time post-Dark Tower to find a series where the characters were actually fleshed out enough to where I cared for them... tried a handful including Wheel of Time and Steven Erikson's stuff... But I think I've finally found the author to go on a deep dive with.
Chase McGuire
I assume that exact time is a placeholder since the final draft of the book is not finished yet. He's about halfway through draft 3 out of 5 judging by his website and Twitter/reddit updates. There's no way they've actually recorded it, but I do expect it to be about that long. I'm sure they have a pretty good idea of the final length of the book by now.
MW03
AG
I cannot for the life of me remember what all happened in that series. And the summations on 17th Shard are nearly as long as the damn books.
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
MW03 said:

I cannot for the life of me remember what all happened in that series. And the summations on 17th Shard are nearly as long as the damn books.
yeah, do not go to the 17th shard or the coppermind if you dont have hours to completely nerd-out.
MW03
AG
I also made the mistake of mixing these books with the Mistborn series. Keeping Vin, Syl, Shallon, Sadez, Szeth, Kaladin, Kelseier, Zane, Dalanar, etc straight in my head is damned impossible.

What I really need is 3 paragraphs on what the hell happened in Oathbringer.
maverick2076
He's announced that the release date is November this year for the book.
Chase McGuire
Right, but the book isn't finalized yet, so there is no way to know the duration of the audiobook, even though audible lists it at 55+ hours. I'm sure they have an idea of how long it will be, but until they record it, there's no way to know exactly.
Quad Dog
AG
I remember Tor put this out before Oathbringer to summarize the two previous books. They could do something like this again before the fourth.

https://www.tor.com/2017/08/15/stormlight-archive-refresher/
maverick2076
I bet they have a formula based on page or word count that gets them pretty close.
Exsurge Domine
Quad Dog said:

I remember Tor put this out before Oathbringer to summarize the two previous books. They could do something like this again before the fourth.

I'm a sick man, I reread the entire series every time a new book comes out.
Chase McGuire
Agreed. They probably know how fast Kramer and Reading read after the first two books and WoT and all that, but the word count won't be finalized until draft 5 is done, so it's still a rough estimate. I hope it ends up longer than OB. I'll take all the Stormlight I can get.
91_Aggie
AG
Proposition Joe said:

It took me some time post-Dark Tower to find a series where the characters were actually fleshed out enough to where I cared for them...
So was this because you were so angry that Dark Tower was so terrible and had no characters you could care about at all?
Exsurge Domine
I just wish someone would write more books. Currently waiting on:

Kingkiller
Storm light
Dresden
Asoiaf (hah)
Lies of Locke Lamora

YouBet
AG
I'm currently reading Mistborn #3. I've read Elantris and Emperor's Soul as well. So far, I'm not that impressed with him, but I also realize I'm still in his earlier works. Mistborn is an absolute slog and I've read 8-10 other books between each one just to get my head right for each one. This third one is kind of interesting since it suddenly starts explaining everything hinted at in books 1 and 2. I'm doing it on Audible and the voice for Elend is so mismatched with the character it's hard to get past it, but I've pretty much gotten there at this point.

Emperor's Soul was really good and his best book I've read, but it's also the newest one in this group I think. When I finish Mistborn #3 I'm going to jump to Stormlight since that seems to be his opus.
Chase McGuire
Might as well give up on Kingkiller. Last one released in 2011, and Rothfuss shows no sign of progress on the last one.
Exsurge Domine
If anyone is looking for a solid fantasy series that I haven't seen mentioned frequently, try Memory Sorrow and Thorn by Tad Williams, absolutely great series
W.C. Griffin '09
AG
Exsurge Domine said:

Quad Dog said:

I'm a sick man, I reread the entire series every time a new book comes out.

I do, too
maverick2076
Me too.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.