I liked the RIse of Skyalker and want to talk about the movie - the Official Thread

21,275 Views | 192 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Fat Bib Fortuna
anaggieshusband
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Favorite quote....." They're just ....people"
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Anakin fell to the dark side to try and learn the power of conquering death. Ben learned that power by being redeemed to the light.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Some of my favorite lines:

Lando: "Give the princess my love"
Rey: "Give it to her yourself..." (oh sexual innuendo!)

Admiral: "They're just.... people"

Made the comment to my wife that Leia's lightsaber was designed by Kate Spade.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Lando should have followed up Rey's line with "I've been trying to for 40 years!"
jr15aggie
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

Anakin fell to the dark side to try and learn the power of conquering death. Ben learned that power by being redeemed to the light.

What's interesting, one of my pre movie theories was we'd see the force used to bring life. I thought it was how we'd see Leia go... she'd use her life force and twin connection to bring Luke back.

After all the "this movie completely undoes TLJ" talk I thought for sure this was it. Interesting that I was half right, never expected it between Ben and Rey.

Speaking of... Ben sure was lucky he got to Rey before she disappeared!
Gigem314
AG
I loved the Poe-Finn dynamic. More like TFA.

I could watch an entire movie of just Poe-Finn running around blowing stuff up.
Jason_Ag98
AG
jr15aggie said:

She was only mostly dead.
tremble
AG
Really enjoyed the movie. Could tell JJ had to slam basically 2 movies worth into one because the pace was frickin nuts.

Lots of great moments though.
maca1028
What I liked most of the sequel trilogy and the 2 stand alone movies was the tradition my daughter and I started by going to the theater at the beginning of her Christmas break to see Star Wars.
On the movie, didn't go through and read everything. Any discussion or theories about Palps son?
nosoupforyou
AG
maca1028 said:

What I liked most of the sequel trilogy and the 2 stand alone movies was the tradition my daughter and I started by going to the theater at the beginning of her Christmas break to see Star Wars.
On the movie, didn't go through and read everything. Any discussion or theories about Palps son?

Good question.. what's the lineage? Was it Palpatine's son or daughter that was the parent (that Palpatine killed?) of Rey?
Saxsoon
AG
Palpys son
Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2012
Saxsoon
AG
Philo B 93 said:

I liked the party on the planet that only happens once every 42 years. 1977-2019 SW4 - SW9.

I picked up on that and leaned over to my friend to point it out
Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2012
PatAg
AG
I like to imagine Palpatines son rejected going into the family business. Probably went and got some usess degree at Coruscant College like Underwater Basketweaving or Psychology. Then went off to attempt to do good in the world.
exitone
AG
So Filoni just posted on Twitter a comment about Ahsoka not necessarily being dead!!!!
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
My theory is that the son is a clone from kamino who showed no force ability so palpatine had him dumped but assigned a long term watcher in this ochi character in case he ever warranted interest. When rey was a child something happened that suggested she was force sensitive, he reported back to palpatine and the order to retrieve her was given.
nosoupforyou
AG
Is there a bloodline of all these players?

What was Snoke and how did he come along?
PatAg
AG
Jason_Ag98 said:

jr15aggie said:

She was only mostly dead.
to blaive
PatAg
AG
time to appreciate Babu Frik some more
titan
S

I happened to see it for the first time today, the time and accessibility lined up. I have avoided spoilers as much as possible since the initial flood of them months ago.

First and foremost, I was pleasantly surprised and rather satisfied with how much the movie did do a good parting tip of the hat -- yes "fan service" -- at the end of the saga. But that seems only appropriate. They let the succession of `callbacks' come dangerously close to overwhelming story, but not quite. Other posters mentioned the effect is more sentimental than cynical and agree.

Ironically one of the big billed elements is what most failed totally for me: I just did not think it brought any strength to the story to bring Palpatine back. Especially the way he was used. Its like they "almost had it" but didn't realize a way out of the hole Last Jedi had put them as far as "menace and villain" with the death of Snoke. But they missed a really good opportunity and in my mind, I just imagine things this way and it is better:

Now imagine just for a second---switch Darth Plagueis for Palpatine as the revealed villain and suddenly it all works great. Plagueis is directly cited in ROTS by Palpatine as having discovered the secret of avoiding death--- it would have fit perfectly with the figure shown having greater power, a long standing grudge, and its easy to see him saying something like "Palpatine was always too impatient and easily angered to find the secrets he sought" --- you play into the irony of how Palpatine lost his temper in Jedi. It also better fits having the Sith following on Exogoll, etc. If you make that element work better---you even keep Rey's parentage--- this villain being Plagueis doesn't have to change that and even adds greater irony to her final action. Just two cents. It also has the advantage of it makes it easier to just "accept everything as put" rather than making you want to question, how did this, how did that, from ROTJ days.

The dis-connects created by that revival and the way played was the most disorienting, other than that, it really DOES work on so many levels and all the weaknesses are directly attributable to the Rian derail and the fact that JJ is basically having to wind-down with an entire two hours missing from the trilogy.

I loved the call back with Rey sliding down from her wreck scavenging like she did in Awakens, that MuckRackerAg pointed out. It showed that her pre-huge events personality remained in some ways yet. A nice touch.

Kylo/Ben Solo is probably the most moving and best done of the new in this one --- his character really grew.

Other elements liked-- the fact there was a Empire-era veteran -- General Pryde --- among the First Order cadre now and played as a foil to Hux.

The massed over-powered fleet--- which diminishes both Death Star and the classic Star Destroyers -- that did not quite work --- but it was just a plot driver to get all to Exogoll and have a fleet fight so give it a pass. Did you notice another call back in what happens to the flagship and how goes? But what brought that about had a certain effectiveness. And the cringe-scene in the trailer with the "cavalry" turned out not to be what it looked like so it worked fine.

Leia, so amazed at how moving the route taken was, and totally unexpected. I was convinced they were just going to make her a victim of the one of the first worlds destroyed in the enemy's offensive seen in the trailers,as it was clear they were going to have to find a way to take `off-stage' --- Never saw how it really happened coming and it was sentimental indeed.

Loved Luke's direct quips at LJ and Rian. Hammill had to have enjoyed filming those.

Considering how much they were having to stuff into it, a passable send-off. And certainly shows what was possible had they not had to repair two hours of incoherence.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
My dad missed opening night recovering from his second hip replacement. He's more machine now than man.

Dad of Muck reached out and grabbed my arm when Chewie heard that Leia had died and said "Damn, they really know how to get you don't they?"
SpreadsheetAg
AG

*** sorry I know it's the positive thread ***
[Correct. -Staff]
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
PatAg said:

time to appreciate Babu Frik some more
I want a spin off with Babu Frik, Bib Fortuna, and Boba Fett called the BFFs
PlanoAggie
AG
Great Post! My family and I enjoyed the heck out of it as well!
HeadGames
AG
I didn't hate it, I didn't love it. I wish the space battle was longer and more intense. I do love that the emperor was pulling the strings. Also, I am a fan of Babu Frick. Lol.
Grapesoda2525
[This thread is for posters to talk about what they liked in this movie, not to compare to the other movies. The entire thread is a spoiler thread. -Staff]
titan
S
HeadGames said:

I didn't hate it, I didn't love it. I wish the space battle was longer and more intense. I do love that the emperor was pulling the strings. Also, I am a fan of Babu Frick. Lol.

Agree about the space battle, and wanting it to linger more on some individual moments of ship to ship -- just make a few representative examples (ROTJ did this somewhat thinly. With this the opportunity should have been greater). A touch really liked but which was under-utilized was with General Hux. It was a complete surprise- -- as if General Tagge (who seemed the most capable of sympathy in ANH) had been willing to draw a line. But it wasn't played that way. Presumably it was what Kylo did to Snoke that was the motive. Still, it was out of the box.

Al Bula
AG
Saw it today. After a hokey start, it got really good when Rey went to the Death Star. I definitely got choked up once the Han and Ben scene began. And several times after.

Loved the Wedge cameo. Was pleased with the explanation of Leia training as a Jedi. Was in disbelief when the transport exploded thinking no way Chewie was going out like that.

The palpatine throne sequence was really dark. Finally felt like some true adult Star Wars after a huge gap.

Do we have any canon on why/when the emperor started making his presence known? How and who pulled his wrinkly ass from the wreckage?
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
I was 10 years old in 1977 and Star Wars changed my life as it is a huge part of my families history.

After TLJ I really did not know if JJ (or anyone) could salvage a proper ending to the Skywalker saga, but I have to give him credit. Without getting too negative TLJ requires a re-edit that Rian should not be allowed to participate in. If they (Disney) would allow some of the Ivan Ortega edits to TLJ it would still be my least favorite, but a better movie. This movie felt so much more like Star Wars.

A lot of the things that JJ got right in this movie were the major criticisms of the first 2 in the sequel trilogy. I enjoyed the movie, it was a fun ride as it should be. I will watch it again and see if it gets better. My daughter and I really enjoyed it in the theater.

Thank you for a hopeful thread.
titan
S
LoudestWHOOP! said:

I was 10 years old in 1977 and Star Wars changed my life as it is a huge part of my families history.

After TLJ I really did not know if JJ (or anyone) could salvage a proper ending to the Skywalker saga, but I have to give him credit. Without getting too negative TLJ requires a re-edit that Rian should not be allowed to participate in. If they (Disney) would allow some of the Ivan Ortega edits to TLJ it would still be my least favorite, but a better movie. This movie felt so much more like Star Wars.

A lot of the things that JJ got right in this movie were the major criticisms of the first 2 in the sequel trilogy. I enjoyed the movie, it was a fun ride as it should be. I will watch it again and see if it gets better. My daughter and I really enjoyed it in the theater.

Thank you for a hopeful thread.
What most ruins TLJ is not the odd turn with Luke initially, if you want to play the `he fled temporarily' angle-- but that since he did decide to intervene, that it wasn't "real". And there was no need to then go on an `kill him'. Keep him for TROS. Its doubtless another thread or long already done, but TLJ is not beyond saving if re-edited.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Opening weekend, TROS made 177 million compared to TLJ's 220 million.

After 8 days, it's about to catch up

Through 8 days: TLJ $321 million
Through 8 days: TROS: $316 million
Phat32
AG
People were cautious but word of mouth is the ultimate advertisement.
AquaCasaAg
AG
The first 8 days of The Last Jedi didn't include Christmas Day or the day after which are big ticket days...so not completely comparable.

I think this movie is much more enjoyable than TLJ.
Sq1dvm
AG
Took the kiddos to see it today, enjoyed my second viewing.
Couple of questions,
1. After the force bond saber hand off did it seem like Rey was using Kylo's fighting style and vice versa?
2. Do you think the Han deal was because of Leia's force projection or whatever it was she did?
The Collective
AG
I think the Han deal was completely Kylo.
PaulSimonsGhost
AG
Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.

Steve McQueen

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.