I liked the RIse of Skyalker and want to talk about the movie - the Official Thread

21,416 Views | 192 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Fat Bib Fortuna
Yoda
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I saw a Kevin Smith interview moths ago discussing his set visit. He talked about a secret set that J.J. told him would blow his mind if he walked thru that door. Said it would make him cry. Do we know what that set was? I've been assuming it was the Emperor's throne room ruins.
MandoArms
Just watched it a second time and it keeps getting better. Really focused on Rey's saber at the end and I'm pretty sure it is a double blade. That's based on the size alone. It looks about twice as long as Luke's. Anyone else notice this?
IG: mando_arms
PatAg
AG
Yoda said:

I saw a Kevin Smith interview moths ago discussing his set visit. He talked about a secret set that J.J. told him would blow his mind if he walked thru that door. Said it would make him cry. Do we know what that set was? I've been assuming it was the Emperor's throne room ruins.
That's what I think as well.
MandoArms
Also I forgot to mention I like how the duel that led to Anakin's fall took place in fire and lava and the duel that saves Ben is in the water. Not sure if that balance was intentional or not but I love it.
oragator
One last semi-poetic point on this movie. Not a criticism, as is said I enjoyed it. Apologies if it is overly sentimental or nerdy, just a final thought on the 42 years of it all.

One of my favorites moments watching the original trilogy as a kid countless times is the very end, the semi triumphant music that crescendos and then goes into the rousing score right as the screen wipes and "Written and Directed by George Lucas" comes up.
I was looking forward to that for the final time here, which of course we had. But as the screen wiped and the music started it was Abrams' name, which took me by surprise, even though it shouldn't ever have. Probably because I had watched the ending of ANH earlier in the day.
And on the one hand it kind of saddened me, because it was the final reminder that these weren't the movies from my childhood, but at the same time, it also means that those original movies can still stay there as that unique childhood experience that stand alone in their own special way. Doesn't matter much what happened in 1-3 or 7-9, 4-6 will always be what they were then, which for so many of us from that age group, Magic.

So thanks George for creating that world that so many of us fell into for so long.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Awesome dude that's what this thread is for. We had the traditional wedding music switch to the medal ceremony music at the recession of our wedding
DannyDuberstein
AG
PatAg said:

Yoda said:

Luke's home on Tatooine, right?
Know Your Enemy
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

PatAg said:

Yoda said:

That would be my guess.
Urban Ag
AG
George Lucas remains in my top five people that I want to have (many) beers with. Just once.
boogieman
AG
Ben's little smirk/shrug when he pulled the lightsaber from his back reminded me of Han's smirk/shrug on Endor. I wanted to get a comparison shot and it seems reddit got a comparison pic.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starwarsspeculation/comments/eenrmx/another_like_father_like_son_spoilers/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
2nd death star throne room makes more se6as an indoor set, plus we saw the homestead again in 2 and 3
Cyprian
AG
boogieman said:

Ben's little smirk/shrug when he pulled the lightsaber from his back reminded me of Han's smirk/shrug on Endor. I wanted to get a comparison shot and it seems reddit got a comparison pic.

Solid call - it felt familiar, but I didn't place it until now
Bruce Almighty
AG
Kevin Smith looks like he got his head shrunken by the witch doctor in Beetlejuice.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
boogieman said:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starwarsspeculation/comments/eenrmx/another_like_father_like_son_spoilers/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

His physical acting from kylo to ben reminded me of Christopher Reeve goin GB from Clark Kent to superman. Even when he jumped onto the giant TV chain on exogol and says ow!
Philo B 93
I liked the party on the planet that only happens once every 42 years. 1977-2019 SW4 - SW9.
birdman
Yoda said:

That would be a good guess. Especially if they really went through an actual door.

A more memorable set for me would be opening the cockpit of the Falcon. That would be incredible.

The ultimate for me personally, it would the perch of rocks that Luke watches the two suns. I'm assuming that you can watch one sun set there in real life. That would be even more poignant since Rey ends the series from the same rock outcropping.
Yoda
AG
Junkhead said:

DannyDuberstein said:

PatAg said:

Yoda said:

That would be my guess.
But I am pretty sure the Lars homestead is a real place/set built in Tunisia. That's what leads me to believe it had to be a fully interior set that at the time of filming was considered a secret.

Actually, this site tells us the dome is in the desert, but the pit where you can see the family rooms, including kitchen table, are over 100 miles away in a place that is now a hotel. Cool.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/lars-homestead
agracer
AG
Dr. Horrible said:

Once I realized that they had to spend the first 45 min fixing TLJ, I enjoyed it more and really liked it by the end of the movie. Looking forward to watching it again.
This, you can pretty much watch 7 and 9 and skip 8 and really not miss anything. Saw it tonight and really enjoyed it. Didn't like the recycling if the planet killing weapons ( thats 4 movies with that plot point!), but thought the rests was well done. A little hurried in places bc JJ had a lot to fix but he did a nice job of wrapping up the series.
fat girlfriend
"I know" was my favorite moment in the movie. So good.
Sq1dvm
AG
Someone already hit on it, but I wouid like to reiterate: CHEWIE FINALLY GOT HIS FRIGGIN MEDAL! That he stood there like a chump while Luke and Han got their medals has bothered me for decades. Side note, Hallmark made a full size Medal of Yavin ornament, got one for Christmas and it's sweet.
https://www.amazon.com/Hallmark-Star-Wars-Ornament-Culture/dp/B07R8ZPDC2?SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duckduckgo-d-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B07R8ZPDC2
The Collective
AG
Rey is not literally a Skywalker.
joemeister
AG
I Have Spoken said:

Rey is not literally a Skywalker.
Depends on your point of view. She died and Ben transferred his life essence to her through the force. Maybe that could be considered the equivalent of a Jedi wedding.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
The phantom menace bad guy was in there. His name is palpatine
nosoupforyou
AG
tamusc
AG
Saw it last night and loved it. My wife cried through most of it and loved it too.

It was insane, epic, and awesome. It did walk right up to the line of ridiculous fan service, and maybe stuck its toe across the line, a few times, but that honestly made me enjoy it more. The whole scene on Acho-To was just the perfect way to redeem Luke's arc from TLJ, especially when his ghost caught the lightsaber and said "This should be treated with more respect".

Know Your Enemy
AG
nosoupforyou said:

MuckRaker96 said:

The phantom menace bad guy was in there. His name is palpatine

The red and back faced guy with dual lightsaber - can't remember his name...
Darth Maul
Philo B 93
I saw so many great references:

Indiana Jones - the dagger showing the location
Lord of the Rings - Mordor compared to Exegol
The Calvary - classic movie device

Well, at least I remember three.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Junkhead said:

So the Leia scenes. I read that they re-purposed footage shot for the last film but was any of it actually used in TLJ? Or was it all unused material?
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Philo B 93 said:

I saw so many great references:

Indiana Jones - the dagger showing the location
Lord of the Rings - Mordor compared to Exegol
The Calvary - classic movie device

Well, at least I remember three.

Independence day with the star destroyers crashing
The Collective
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

Independence day with the star destroyers crashing

Alright you sith azzholes.
maroon man
S
The more I listen to the TROS soundtrack the more I LOVE it!

Track #3. The Rise of Skywalker seems to be the most genuine new theme here and is played throughout other songs.

LOVE it.

MandoArms
It was all unused footage from TFA as I understand it.
DannyDuberstein
AG
yeah, as soon as I saw the jungle-ish set for the base scenes that would involve Leia, I assumed they were using footage from TFA where her scenes were in a similar setting.
agracer
AG
Sq1dvm said:

Someone already hit on it, but I wouid like to reiterate: CHEWIE FINALLY GOT HIS FRIGGIN MEDAL! That he stood there like a chump while Luke and Han got their medals has bothered me for decades. Side note, Hallmark made a full size Medal of Yavin ornament, got one for Christmas and it's sweet.
https://www.amazon.com/Hallmark-Star-Wars-Ornament-Culture/dp/B07R8ZPDC2?SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duckduckgo-d-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B07R8ZPDC2
In the original Star Wars book they explained the Chewy got his medal later because he did not like people putting things around his neck.
Zemira
AG
I have to say I had anxiety going to see it on Saturday after all the critics panning the movie.

I really enjoyed most of the movie. To me this was a movie for the fans, and JJ managed to fix a ton of plot holes and storylines from 7 & 8. It seemed more like a throwback to the originals as opposed to some of the other more recent movies. The characters really finally meshed as a team in the movie.

My mother loves the very first movie and I hear stories of them sitting through bit twice in a row with my sister who was little at the time. That said my mom doesn't really get most Sci-fi (on other threads I have mentioned her affinity for Hallmark movies) and my mom really enjoyed the movie. She usually goes with us to the Sci-fi and adventure movies but rarely does she actually enjoy them very much.

I want to thank JJ for making a movie that did justice to Lucas creations and ended the Skywalker Saga on a good note.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.