I liked the RIse of Skyalker and want to talk about the movie - the Official Thread

21,419 Views | 192 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Fat Bib Fortuna
Fat Bib Fortuna
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
TROS passed ANH in all-time box office on Thursday, leading to this cool little look.

16 Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace $474,544,677 1999
17 Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker $463,110,690 2019
18 Star Wars $460,998,507 1977

Seeing those years lined up really blows my mind of how something can be that popular for so long.

You're next, Sebulba!
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Weekend estimates have TROS up to $478 million, passing TPM ($474 million) for 16th all-time. Next up is Finding Dory at $486 million.

Hoping to take my daughter next weekend to see it on a giant screen, which will be a first for her.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Almost a month after it came out, Star Wars finally releases a picture of Palps.

According to Digital Spy, the Visual Dictionary for the movie tells sort of how Palps came back to life.

According to the tie-in book, Darth Sidious was brought to Exegol by his hooded cohorts called the Sith Eternals (via Digital Spy). These mysterious beings weren't mentioned in the movie, although they were explicitly featured during the climactic battle between Rey and her grandfather. Apparently, they are devoted Sith followers who were Palapatine loyalists. After Darth Sidious' defeat in Return of the Jedi, they brought him to Exegol, and using "technology and occult," they were able to revive him.

I haven't picked up Kylo Ren #1 or #2, but probably will tomorrow - #2 went on sale last week and has some kick ass preview images along with the cover: And yes, it's a younger Lor Sarn Tekka with Luke and Ben!

They could put out a comic a week featuring Luke's adventures post-ROTJ and pre-TFA and I would never grow tired of them.

Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
The Rise of Skywalker jumped Finding Dory for 15th on the box office all-time domestic list this weekend.

It's up to $494 million, leaving it $6 million short of $500 million and about $10 million away from passing Beauty and the Beast (re-imagined) for 14th.

When it reaches $500 million (probably the end of next week), it will give Star Wars 4 properties hitting at least $500 million, tying Marvel for the title.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
The writing on those comics above... is not great.
[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_pill_and_blue_pill]I prefer the red pills[/url]
Rascal
AG
Tucked my kids into bed, kissed my wife, and ran up to catch a late Sunday night viewing for the 1st time last night. Loved it!

I'm not as much of a Star Wars fanatic as many in this forum, but I think it was a very well done and entertaining and a moving movie.

It's been fun to go back and try to research some questions I've had and things I noticed or even missed.

But, it was a very powerful movie and a nice ending to this franchise.

Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Box Office update

Cracked $500M over the weekend domestic
And $1B worldwide

4th SW film to top $500M tying Marvel.

3rd for 2019 releases now about $45M behind Lion King for 2nd.

15th on all-time domestic now just behind Beauty and the Beast - should pass it this week.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG

In all-time Adjusted for Inflation it is the 9th SW film to pass $500M domestic box office by the way.

The only ones that have not are Ep II and Solo.

2 Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope $1.5B
11 Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens $965M
13 Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back $876M
17 Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi $839M
19 Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace $806M
44 Star Wars: Episode VIII - The Last Jedi $603M
62 Rogue One: A Star Wars Story $539M
70 Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith $529M
79 Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker $501M

Phat32
AG
So is it a flop by Star Wars standards?
AggieEP
Finally saw the movie yesterday, I enjoyed the movie overall but a couple of points are pretty bad.

First as many have already pointed out, why bring Palpatine back at all. Any random sith overlord could work in this role. Even bringing back Darth Maul as a master of dark arts would have been way better. But then to double down on Palpatine with the grand daughter story is odd, if you want Rey conflicted that's fine just have her be conflicted over her feelings for Ben. The tie to Palpatine isn't needed.

The second and perhaps more egregious issue is the over reliance of the plot on this transference of life force power. It was used at least 5 times in the movie to solve major problems. It's like in Knocked Up when the guy only has the dice move, by the third time I'm wondering why this skill is just now being shown as a mainstream jedi power. Sure would have been nice for Luke to share some life force with his dad at the end of RoTJ. And then, as if they had reached a dead end they just decided to have Ben dissapear so Rey and him don't get caught in a neverending cycle of sharing their last bit of life force with each other.
The Collective
AG
Not to spoil but Maul would actually be worse. He's been killed twice. Palps' master would have been perfect & could be tied to episode 3.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
yukmonkey said:

So is it a flop by Star Wars standards?

I don't think so.

If Ep II and Solo are (???) then maybe it's the Mendoza line at $500M-ish.

I have a hard time calling anything that makes $1B worldwide a flop.

But if you want to cuz it's in the bottom 1/3 then sure. However RO is considered one of the better ones and it's only $38M above IX.

Films also sometimes underperform but gain appreciation in the longterm. I think this film will be more highly appreciated than some of the ones it is under now. I prefer it to III and I for example.

Box office is of course just one measure.

The Collective
AG
The one true flop was the animated movie.
AggieEP
Wait when did they kill off Darth Maul again? It's been a few years but he was featured prominently in the Star Wars Rebels series and I didn't remember him being killed off, but perhaps he was?
The Collective
AG
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
TROS passed the 2017 beauty and the beast for 14th all time over the weekend, up to $507 million.
exitone
AG
I Have Spoken said:

This was so great. This is always the Star Wars I wish people would see and think of as 'Star Wars' as opposed to the bad dialogue and Jar Jar Binks of Ep1-3.
I still like the original episodes (they had their flaws), but the CW cartoons was where the depth of the characters can be found. And this fight scene was great. And if this was all real, probably how quickly it would go down.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Some cool frames from The Rise of Kylo Ren #3 that came out last week as he seeks out the Knights of Ren after destroying the Jedi Temple

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.