Disney Star Wars fans, I laugh at your pain.

17,661 Views | 237 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Duncan Idaho
Urban Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
M.C. Swag said:

How do you know if someone volunteered for the military? Just wait, they'll tell you.
The Debt
Quote:

Zzzzzzzzzz...

What? Oh I'm sorry, I must have fallen asleep waiting for you make a point. Did I miss anything important? Kinda sensing that I didn't.

Look Susy, I can see you're upset. And I'm truly all broke up about that. But you can't accuse somebody of being sexist without actual evidence that they're sexist. You tracking with me, Francine? You can't pull things out of your ass and accuse somebody of being something they're not just because you're upset.

That's what 12 year olds do. Are you 12, Nancy? Are you a 12 year old little girl playing on your parents TexAgs account?

Making baseless accusations to denigrate people as misogynists is a good way for people to ignore you and rob that word of meaning.

And you don't want people to ignore you, do you, Amy?

"If you dont capitulate to the purple haired feminist position that makes you a misogynistic rapist." - young lib logic
FL_Ag1998
AG
Yep....this thread finally soured. Nice run while it lasted.
agracer
AG
NM
TCTTS
AG
agracer said:

TCTTS said:

I hear you. Admittedly, you seem to be having more "fun" others of your ilk who enjoy "triggering" less for sh*ts and giggles and more because they're miserable people.

That said, me speaking up from time to time has nothing to do with this being "my house" or whatever. Despite what some might say, I could not care less about that crap. There are just certain things here that set me off - rants from forum 16 regulars, endless b*tching without being constructive, and hypocrisy, to name a few. Some of your posts have grazed a few of those, and one of my weaknesses is not being able to bite my tongue when I see those things. It's as simple as that. It has absolutely nothing to do with any kind of self-inflated importance or trying to be the board sheriff or whatever.

Still, I appreciate your candor, and actually agree with many of your Star Wars points. I just think they can be delivered better, that's all.
WTF does that have to do with the OP? Nothing.

It was mentioned earlier in the thread that the OP has a history of frequenting forum 16, which corresponds directly to his overall anti-woke/SJW bent in the OP in this thread, along with his anti-woke/SJW rants on other threads here recently. He implied that I was mad because he was "disrespecting" me in "my house" by sh*t-talking Star Wars or whatever, and I was saying, "No, I just can't stand rants here with a political bent." It's a pretty clear track of exactly what he was saying and why I brought up what I did. If you can't follow, that's on you. Either way, he then he explained himself further, we talked it out, and are totally good. In fact, I actually really kind of like him now, despite the fact that we may not see eye to eye. But sure, bring this up again days later for no reason other than to keep stoking the fire.
TCTTS
AG
Looks like you edited your post while I was writing mine.
agracer
AG
TCTTS said:

Looks like you edited your post while I was writing mine.
Yeah I realized you already answered my question.
The Debt
"Oh no. People cant have opinions I disagree with. Keep them away from my water fountian."
The Debt
Its hilariously funny.

1 content creators create films intentionally putting a message into the story.

2 Viewers pick up on that message and see it's as a obvious social/political commentary from the content creator

3 Viewers argue the meaning and implication of the embedded message

4 Shills claim there is no message and the viewer is merely yelling at clouds.

5 content creators says "oooh, there is definitely a message here, btw #fktrump"

6 viewers say "a-ha! I told you it was a buncha bullshet."

7 shills say "how dare you comment displeasure on an open forum, take that elsewhere, who is with me on shaming the turd in the punchbowl?"
TCTTS
AG
As I said, again, it's not the opinions themselves. It's the way/tone/manner in which a handful of forum 16 frequenters tend to rant and rave when they come here. Their grievances are also, more often than not, premature and highly stereotypical in nature. In other words, it's usually a lot of "yelling" and the same old, cliched language that isn't the least bit constructive. I have no problem with differing opinions. Again, the OP and I seem to differ on a few of our opinions, but once we were able to cut through the sh*t, I respect where he's coming from and even like him now. I just can't stand the way political talk ALWAYS turns into a soap box here. It's never about engagement or nuance, and that's what bugs me.
PaulSimonsGhost
AG
I will admit this, although I am loathe to do so, is we on Forum 16 have strayed more and more from political discourse and skip straight to commentary.

I am totally guilty of this. More and more I just respond emotionally and don't engage my cognitive skills. I certainly don't consider the opposite points of view or their feelings in any way.

That's not an appropriate mindset for Forum 13. Art is subjective. There's no right or wrong in it. It's either good or bad but not right or wrong.

I admire the civility many Forum 13 posters treat different views. Politics is a different beast and Forum 16 posters should mentally shift gears before posting here.

I use to know this, but I seemed to have forgot.
Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.

Steve McQueen
TCTTS
TCTTS
AG
Dude, come on. This place used to be free of most political talk. Then Trump became president, rhetoric on both sides rose to an all-time high, it seeped over here, and is now highly annoying. That's it and that's all. And you continue to be one of the prime irritators in making sure that rhetoric is alive and well here, while more often than not being too chicken sh*t to reply to me directly - with your same old passive aggressive smiley faces - because you're scared of a ban. You love agitating more than you do actual discussion, and that's why I can't stand you and those like you.
jabberwalkie09
AG
TCTTS said:

As I said, again, it's not the opinions themselves. It's the way/tone/manner in which a handful of forum 16 frequenters tend to rant and rave when they come here. Their grievances are also, more often than not, premature and highly stereotypical in nature. In other words, it's usually a lot of "yelling" and the same old, cliched language that isn't the least bit constructive. I have no problem with differing opinions.

As someone who has had this whole "forum 16" bit, though my posting history percentage is overwhelmingly biased to the e-board, leveled at by a poster in this thread, not you, this is a fairly hypocritical and bull**** one sided stance on the whole matter. The condescending tone that some on this board have towards people who either are more argumentative or more opinionated, doesn't help. And the The Debt isn't totally off base.

Basically, if I wanted to be beat over the head with political messaging, I'll watch one of the cable news shows. The intentional insertion of that into entertainment is annoying for those who want to be entertained by their entertainment, that they pay for.

Though based on how the thread started out, I would say that OP was the cat in the cat meme and the e-board regulars were the ones saying "don't judge me". YMMV
Quote:

Again, the OP and I seem to differ on a few of our opinions, but once we were able to cut through the sh*t, I respect where he's coming from and even like him now. I just can't stand the way political talk ALWAYS turns into a soap box here. It's never about engagement or nuance, and that's what bugs me.

Look, I get that art in its various mediums has been used for both societal and political commentary but people voicing their displeasure in either a real or perceived trend of that being overly heavy handed isn't always a soap box.

But I guess that's just my opinion.
The Debt
Man I love you. "If you're gonna critique a movie I like, you better have the right fkin TONE. Give it the the respect and thoughtfulness of a masters thesis!!! These are the rules I arbitrarily demand!"

Two minutes later "if you're going to address me, hit the fking reply button.....and no smiling. This isnt Disneyland! These are the rules I arbitrarily demand!"

Ever think that you are seeing more political crap on the entertainment board because content creators are injecting politics into everything?

No, its texags users that are the problem.

I seem to remember a post about anti Bush and anti Trump shows popping up on comedy central, but there was a lack of Obama-cartoon for 8 years. Funny that. Then you sit there and sneer saying the industry is unbiased. No one believes you. And no one is going to buy that Trump, by virtue of his election, causes media to create anti trump content.
TCTTS
AG
jabberwalkie09 said:

TCTTS said:

As I said, again, it's not the opinions themselves. It's the way/tone/manner in which a handful of forum 16 frequenters tend to rant and rave when they come here. Their grievances are also, more often than not, premature and highly stereotypical in nature. In other words, it's usually a lot of "yelling" and the same old, cliched language that isn't the least bit constructive. I have no problem with differing opinions.

As someone who has had this whole "forum 16" bit, though my posting history percentage is overwhelmingly biased to the e-board, leveled at by a poster in this thread, not you, this is a fairly hypocritical and bull**** one sided stance on the whole matter. The condescending tone that some on this board have towards people who either are more argumentative or more opinionated, doesn't help. And the The Debt isn't totally off base.

Basically, if I wanted to be beat over the head with political messaging, I'll watch one of the cable news shows. The intentional insertion of that into entertainment is annoying for those who want to be entertained by their entertainment, that they pay for.

Though based on how the thread started out, I would say that OP was the cat in the cat meme and the e-board regulars were the ones saying "don't judge me". YMMV
Quote:

Again, the OP and I seem to differ on a few of our opinions, but once we were able to cut through the sh*t, I respect where he's coming from and even like him now. I just can't stand the way political talk ALWAYS turns into a soap box here. It's never about engagement or nuance, and that's what bugs me.

Look, I get that art in its various mediums has been used for both societal and political commentary but people voicing their displeasure in either a real or perceived trend of that being overly heavy handed isn't always a soap box.

But I guess that's just my opinion.

I totally get this point and agree. I'm not saying "Don't be annoyed" or "Don't complain about it." AGAIN, I'm saying it becomes like a broken record around here - time and time and time again - when those who complain about this stuff, more often than not do so in very "loud," ranting, and cliched way. More often that not, it's simply the tone. And sure, it's a public forum and I'm not the language police or whatever, but good gosh, WE GET IT. I'm just saying, there are better ways to present your argument than "yelling" about it all the time. Let's discuss it. Let's engage each other. Let's not start from a place of always attacking.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
This thread has become the Galactic Senate circa 19 BBY.
TCTTS
AG
The Debt said:

Man I love you. "If you're gonna critique a movie I like, you better have the right fkin TONE. Give it the the respect and thoughtfulness of a masters thesis!!! These are the rules I arbitrarily demand!"

Two minutes later "if you're going to address me, hit the fking reply button.....and no smiling. This isnt Disneyland! These are the rules I arbitrarily demand!"

Ever think that you are seeing more political crap on the entertainment board because content creators are injecting politics into everything?

No, its texags users that are the problem.

I seem to remember a post about anti Bush and anti Trump shows popping up on comedy central, but there was a lack of Obama-cartoon for 8 years. Funny that. Then you sit there and sneer saying the industry is unbiased. No one believes you. And no one is going to buy that Trump, by virtue of his election, causes media to create anti trump content.

This has nothing to do with movies I like. Again, I actually AGREE with most of the OP's Star Wars points. I AGREE with his opinion of Terminator: Dark Fate. I AGREE that IF the Watchmen show ends up being all about race, it'll be ridiculous. I'm not pouting because people aren't liking what I like. I could not care less about that. I speak up when people complain prematurely - actively wanting someone to rail against - and when people b*tch about this kind of stuff in the same, tired, cliched, hate-filled tone. That's it.

And I've never once said the industry is unbiased. I said that the industry's bias isn't the primary driver of its decisions. Money is. But of course you either can't comprehend that or chose to ignore it because it doesn't fit your narrative of me. Same old story as always.
Flashdiaz
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Let's bring in the Business and Investment forum folks and talk about taxation and trade routes
agracer
AG
TCTTS said:

Dude, come on. This place used to be free of most political talk. Then Trump became president, rhetoric on both sides rose to an all-time high, it seeped over here, and is now highly annoying. That's it and that's all. And you continue to be one of the prime irritators in making sure that rhetoric is alive and well here, while more often than not being too chicken sh*t to reply to me directly - with your same old passive aggressive smiley faces - because you're scared of a ban. You love agitating more than you do actual discussion, and that's why I can't stand you and those like you.
there was plenty of political talk on this forum before Trump was elected. It didn't suddenly start in 2016.

And FWIW, You're the one who keeps bringing up the forum 16 infestation accusations, don't really see many others in 13 complaining as much as you are.
The Debt
So you concede they are biased politically.

You posit that the films get made with a bias because that ideology is in such high demand....as if the bias is why PSG went to see TLJ. That's just not true and you know it. He came to see a story about ships, lasers, and wizards, and he gets this weird half conceived film that was more concerned with shaming toxic-masculinity (Poe) with a strong feminist leader, than actually telling a fun story well.

We all want to enjoy these films. Hell, we come onto the EB because we are cinephiles and bingers....yet we are NOT enjoying the "art" because of the bias. And by stating that opinion, you say we are at fault for injecting politics into a discussion about Star Wars, watchmen, Chernobyl, et al.
jabberwalkie09
AG
agracer said:

TCTTS said:

there was plenty of political talk on this forum before Trump was elected. It didn't suddenly start in 2016.

And FWIW, You're the one who keeps bringing up the forum 16 infestation accusations, don't really see many others in 13 complaining as much as you are.

First poster to say something about forum 16 on the thread wasn't TCTTS from what I can tell, but it was on the first page.
The Collective
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

TCTTS
AG
agracer said:

TCTTS said:

The number and frequency of rants we see here from forum 16 frequenters are not any where even remotely close to the level they were prior to 2016. That's all I meant. Of course there was political talk here pre-2016. That's why I didn't speak in an absolute.
The Debt
Assuming folks on this thread actually went to TAMU, the "Highway 6" idiom is ever-applicable.

No one is forcing anyone to contribute to every.single.thread. on the EB. If theres an opinion you dont like or even take objection to:

Ignore it. *gasp*
TCTTS
AG
The Debt said:

You posit that the films get made with a bias because that ideology is in such high demand....as if the bias is why PSG went to see TLJ. That's just not true and you know it. He came to see a story about ships, lasers, and wizards, and he gets this weird half conceived film that was more concerned with shaming toxic-masculinity (Poe) with a strong feminist leader, than actually telling a fun story well.

We all want to enjoy these films. Hell, we come onto the EB because we are cinephiles and bingers....yet we are NOT enjoying the "art" because of the bias. And by stating that opinion, you say we are at fault for injecting politics into a discussion about Star Wars, watchmen, Chernobyl, et al.

You're clearly reading the words I'm writing. But the things your brain does with those words and the conclusions you jump to borders on astounding.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
This post is a reply to someone on this thread. You know who you are! But I'll never give you the satisfaction by hitting "Reply".

Suck on that!
TCTTS
AG
The Debt said:

Assuming folks on this thread actually went to TAMU, the "Highway 6" idiom is ever-applicable.

No one is forcing anyone to contribute to every.single.thread. on the EB. If theres an opinion you dont like or even take objection to:

Ignore it. *gasp*

Except these rants *are* present in what feels like a majority of the threads. There is no "ignore" option anymore. That's my entire point. And again, you're one of the worst offenders here. You somehow find a way turn every last movie discussion into politics and then have the audacity to say, "Just ignore me! Geez!"

The breaking point for me was when I posted a review of a romantic comedy called Juliet, Naked a couple years back. It was a completely harmless movie with absolutely no political undertones whatsoever. Not a single jab or anything. It was, you know, a romantic comedy. And a good one at that. But then someone - I dare not speak his name - just HAD to pop in that thread to hysterically warn us all against seeing the movie because Judd Apatow was an executive producer and Apatow hates Trump, therefor we shouldn't support the movie. And Apatow's name wasn't even used to market the movie.

That kind of sh*t didn't used to happen. And now it happens all the damn time. That's the kind of stuff I'm talking about. It's coming here looking for a fight to pick. It's coming here JUST to rant and rave against Hollywood, when there's already a place to do that... forum 16.
PaulSimonsGhost
AG
Debt does have a point.

Since 2016 movies and TV have ramped up the representation of fringe groups and fringe ideologies.

TCTTS, you have to have picked up this vibe around town. Perhaps it's not totally conscious, but the amount of virtue signaling taking place in film is pretty distinctive.

The problem for even the politically indifferent is that it disrupts organic story telling.

The number of Mary Sues in Star Wars, Batgirl, Captain Marvel, etc sacrifices the development of these characters.

Batgirl is just plane ridiculous b/c the actress is 5'4 105 lbs and street fighting w/ 215 lbs men and she has zero training. This isn't even explained in a lazy way like having a marital Arts background in Brazilian Jujitsu. But Rey or Captain Marvel have magic powers. They're not confined by anatomy or physics. You could create realistic female characters who face adversity, struggle with the possibility of defeat and then overcome through inner strength. But nope. They're instant ninjas.

Honestly, I think a lot of people in Hollywood, writers and producers alike, recognize the characters and stories (like the new Terminator) are poorly written and made. But I think they're held hostage by others who will accuse them of being

Sexist
Racist
Homophobic
Yadda,
yadda,
yadda.

It's reverse Mccarthyism in my opinion. And I think several in Hollywood fear for their jobs or reputation if they piss off woke members in "the biz".

It's unfortunate if true. And it's costing studios million$.
Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.

Steve McQueen
Dekker_Lentz
AG
Man this thread turned.

Here let's get it back on track.

How would people feel if they had taken everything Holdo did and had then been Leia's arc. Would there have been the same backlash?

Poe would still have the same story and he would arguing Leia is over the hill. Would people still be as upset?

The only change I would make is instead of Mary Poppins Leia, they stuck with the original idea that the bridge started to explode and Leia held it together. Then during the hyperspace jump destroying the FO ships, imply she towed into the force to make the attack more powerful.

I think the biggest mistake Disney made was trying to have the original actors.
Bones08
AG
The Debt said:

Wait, what?

Did I miss something here? Its been awhile since I've seen The Last Jedi so, seriously, maybe I'm missing something.
Belton Ag
AG
Bones08 said:

The Debt said:

Wait, what?

Did I miss something here? Its been awhile since I've seen The Last Jedi so, seriously, maybe I'm missing something.
There were elements of that in The Last Jedi. It was unmistakable. It was a little more nuanced than "OMG Poe is displaying toxic masculinity" written into the script, but it was there.

To piggy back on what others have said, I think I'm a lot like other moviegoers in that if I see political messages injected into a pure entertainment movie (like Engame's we-got-your-back-sister moment) I might roll my eyes but otherwise ignore it because the movie was pretty awesome and it didn't take anything away from the movie. There are forum 16 types who simply can't ignore it and they whine about on this forum.

But if you're going to inject political messages, you better make sure a) that your movie is otherwise very well done and b) it doesn't overwhelm and undercut an iconic franchise like Star Wars. TLJ failed on both counts in my opinion, that's where the politics get annoying to me. And frankly I believe it's fair game for this board and not just F16.
Urban Ag
AG
PaulSimonsGhost said:

Debt does have a point.

Since 2016 movies and TV have ramped up the representation of fringe groups and fringe ideologies.

TCTTS, you have to have picked up this vibe around town. Perhaps it's not totally conscious, but the amount of virtue signaling taking place in film is pretty distinctive.

The problem for even the politically indifferent is that it disrupts organic story telling.

The number of Mary Sues in Star Wars, Batgirl, Captain Marvel, etc sacrifices the development of these characters.

Batgirl is just plane ridiculous b/c the actress is 5'4 105 lbs and street fighting w/ 215 lbs men and she has zero training. This isn't even explained in a lazy way like having a marital Arts background in Brazilian Jujitsu. But Rey or Captain Marvel have magic powers. They're not confined by anatomy or physics. You could create realistic female characters who face adversity, struggle with the possibility of defeat and then overcome through inner strength. But nope. They're instant ninjas.

Honestly, I think a lot of people in Hollywood, writers and producers alike, recognize the characters and stories (like the new Terminator) are poorly written and made. But I think they're held hostage by others who will accuse them of being

Sexist
Racist
Homophobic
Yadda,
yadda,
yadda.

It's reverse Mccarthyism in my opinion. And I think several in Hollywood fear for their jobs or reputation if they piss off woke members in "the biz".

It's unfortunate if true. And it's costing studios million$.
Forum 13 to PSG:

TCTTS
AG
I don't dispute a single thing you're saying. What you're talking about absolutely has been ramped up by Hollywood since 2016. My issue, again, is the manner in which some here choose to vent about this. It's the "how" not the "why." It's going off on tirades to the point where it's clear that some actually enjoy the divide and want there to a line in the sand. And those are the one you can coming see from a mile away who I end up calling out more often than the others.

That said, Hollywood didn't just one day decide, "Oh, hey, let's be even more woke" for the hell of it. It's a response to a culture they feel Trump is responsible for cultivating. And fair or not, he does nothing to quell their fears. Sure, just like some posters here, Hollywood went way over the line in their rebuttal to a ridiculous degree at times. They overcorrected. But instead of name calling and yelling about it, why not try to understand - on a base level - what they're reacting to? Or try to better-understand how, exactly, Hollywood works, and why motivations may not be exactly what you think? Why continue the escalation? And if you ARE going to scream about it - instead of seeking a level-headed discussion - why can't that be done in forum 16 and not here?
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
Think about the 4 main male characters in the Last Jedi and their interactions with the women.

Finn, a coward that needs Rose to convince him to stand up and do something
Poe, a hot head that needs purple Admiral to reel him in and teach him a lesson about what is "right"
Luke, a hermit that has abandoned the Force and needs Rey to convince him to do something.
Kylo, the actual bad guy whom I am still convinced will be redeemed in some manner by Rey in IX

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.