Disney Star Wars fans, I laugh at your pain.

17,662 Views | 237 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Duncan Idaho
PaulSimonsGhost
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
PatAg said:

It's a complete shock to find out the OP is a Politics board regular.

I'm also one of you're mom's regulars.
Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.

Steve McQueen
PaulSimonsGhost
AG
johncAG said:

I like green lightsabers

If you can get one in Sandalwood I'd thoroughly recommend it.

Steve McQueen
wangus12
AG
So I'm contributing to the death of art because I'd rather go see Star Wars IX than go see Joker? And thats coming from a huge Batman fan. Joker sounds like an incredible film, but I simply have zero interest going to spend my money on something that apparently makes people so uncomfortable that they feel the need to take a shower afterwards. Just not something I look for in personal entertainment.
Urban Ag
AG
PatAg said:

Urban Ag
AG
wangus12 said:

So I'm contributing to the death of art because I'd rather go see Star Wars IX than go see Joker? And thats coming from a huge Batman fan. Joker sounds like an incredible film, but I simply have zero interest going to spend my money on something that apparently makes people so uncomfortable that they feel the need to take a shower afterwards. Just not something I look for in personal entertainment.
Agree and disagree.

I have absolutely no interest in Joke. I'll eventually see it on cable or Netflix or whatever.

But I have viewed a number of films that didn't interest in me in terms of content, made me uncomfortable, and was ultimately glad I did see them. And I'll never sit through them again.

The Green Book
Road to Perdition
Cold Mountain
Sideways
Born on the Fourth of July
Black KKKlansman

just off the top of my head
Urban Ag
AG
PaulSimonsGhost said:

So just how bad of a story teller is JJ Abrams and the political hacks at Lucas Arts? Forget they have had 9 possible endings, several reshoots, and Skywalker is testing badly.

Apparently for those wanting to stick their hand in a blender and watch The Rise of Skywalker you must now purchase some additional reading material.

It's not uncommon for films today to lack critical information and have massive holes in story telling. Why? Because you have 9 writers and 7 producers who have no idea how to write a complete cohesive story. There IS no overall story. Just one guy handing over the baton to the next ending up in BFE. Even the GOT writers said they didn't get the story. So after taking the wheel from Martin they drove Season 8 off a cliff.

Anyway, so now the backstory, or missing information, is released in the form of comic books or even lazier still, press releases.

For example, Disney's press statement & comics state that the rest of Skywalker's Jedi students apparently survived after Luke has a bad dream and decides to murder his nephew and padawans. Now, apparently they're just gonna show up outta ****ing nowhere looking for who the **** knows what and who knows the **** why?

Furthermore, to understand things like why suddenly there's a new rebel army despite how R.Johnson killed everybody in the rebel resistance you must buy The Resistance Reborn by Rebecca Roanhorse which takes place b/t the last 2 films.

Look, JJ, f you can't tell a story in 3 hours you're doing it wrong and should go back to writing fan fiction in your parents attic.

I'm reasonable, I understand that Rian Johnson butt ****ed Star Wars into a whimpering, neurotic mess and Abrams is trying to recycle sewer water into something Disney Star Wars fan will swallow (and they'll swallow just about anything). But Abrams is a bad writer, a Hollywood hack and has never finished any story well (Lost, StatTrek...).

"SO, Why the venom towards Disney Star Wars chumps, Paul SimonsGhost? Are you just an angry a$$h0l3?" Yes, I am. But that's not why.

It's simple. Y'all inadvertently perpetuate the problem. You reward bad behavior by watching and defending Disney, Bob Iger, K. Kennedy and the Hollywood woke machine. Maybe it's indifference, maybe it's a personal lack of sophistication, maybe you just like flat chested English chicks with zero character arch.

Disney Star Wars fans are not unlike several gamers today. Those damn Fallout 76, NBA2K or FIFA playing ****ers who continually pay $200 to $2,000 on loot boxes leading to greedy monetization in other IPs that were once great franchises. Disney is no different than the greedy ****s at EA, Activision and Bethesda.

You say, "PSG, the point in making movies and games is to make lots of money".

Wrong. That's why you make computer chips and Aston Martins.

The point of film and game development is to create quality art that inspires and brings joy and entertainment. It about creating a legacy of professional greatness while turning a profit so you can continue you're craft.

You wanna be crazy rich? Go to engineering school and build BMWs. But stay the **** outta entertainment.

I know there are many Entertainment Board posters that are basically nihilists and don't care much about strong plots, themes and generational fan bases. But for those who do remotely give a **** about quality stories and consumer friendly companies, please, consider NOT going to see the latest aborted fetus from Star Wars. As long as stupids by "X" amount of tickets we'll continually receive woke story telling and dull Mary Sue characters.
#1, 2 , and 4: Forum 16 posters who just want to talk about movies on the Entertainment board without upsetting the locals

#3: Forum 16 posters that do

TresPuertas
AG
OP, I really like the post and agree with It all.

I saw TFA and the only thing I could say afterwards was "well, that was lazy as hell". Apparently the social commentary geniuses at South Park agreed enough to make an episode about it.

I didn't see the TLJ In the theater and watched it with my kids the day it came out on DVD. I Absolutely hated it. Decided to give it another run by watching it again and I hated it more. I remember thinking that it was a movie that was made by someone who had heard a lot about Star Wars but had never actually taken the time to see the actual films. It was one bad cliche after the other and I'm pretty sure my eyes would have stuck at the top of my eyelids had I have rolled them any more

This has led to me considering abandoning the last one altogether.

I am however extremely pumped for the Mandolorian and plan on watching every episode with the kids. I also LOVED rogue one.

You are right, the creative insight just isn't there On the new films. It's a mess. So much so that I hope one day we can ignore the fact they even happened and get a competent writer/director to re so them somewhere down the road.
Urban Ag
AG
Nailed it.

TFA was meh/ok/lazy

R1 was a masterpiece, IMO

TLJ just flat out sucked

Mandalorian looks amazing
Liquid Wrench
I like it when the lasers go pew! pew! and **** blows up.
PaulSimonsGhost
AG
By most accounts The Mandolorian looks to be something very special and if Disney can sideline their agendas and hire accomplshed film makers and writers that know the lore and have genuine love of the characters then Star Wars might eclipse even the MCU in earnings.

The MCU is awesome, but limited to a finite list of characters and a small window in history from which to pull stories from w/o trashing their timeline.

Star Wars has an entire GALAXY, thousands of planets and a lore that spans over 25,000 years back to the founding of the Republic, the founding of the Jedi Order, and the time when the Sith were an entire RACE at war with the Republic! The Mandalorians were an entire warrior race that attempted to rule the Galaxy (I read a lot of Star Wars in Afghanistan, so sue me).

What's more Disney has the budget to make these worlds come alive as opposed SciFy programs filmed entirely on a sound stage or in the woods of Vancouver (notice how every planet in Stargate SG-1 looked like British Columbia?).

Imagine a Rated R Star Wars movie with a mature story plot. It would clear a billion worldwide in a month.

Steve McQueen
PaulSimonsGhost
AG
Quote:

#1, 2 , and 4: Forum 16 posters who just want to talk about movies on the Entertainment board without upsetting the locals

#3: Forum 16 posters that do

I like triggering people. It's the simple pleasures that makes life worthwhile.

Steve McQueen
Fat Bib Fortuna
Brian Earl Spilner said:

MuckRaker96 said:

I like the sound the lightsabers make.

Jango's seismic charges
Man I loved that part the first time I heard it in the theater. If you're game, I'm just doing a long writing project on Monday. If you have the time, I'd love to derail this thread with you with non-stop parts of movies we liked.
Fat Bib Fortuna
So just how bad of a story teller is JJ Abrams and the political hacks at Lucas Arts? Forget they have had 9 possible endings, several reshoots, and Skywalker is testing badly.

This claim is from this BS website (https://cosmicbook.news/george-lucas-saving-star-wars-test-screenings-disaster), which took it from a YouTuber with zero credibility. Seems like you're just as bad a storyteller as JJ Abrams.

Apparently for those wanting to stick their hand in a blender and watch The Rise of Skywalker you must now purchase some additional reading material.

They've done that for every movie they've made for the last 20 years. Somehow, people have been able to enjoy them without reading the extra stuff. Also, there's a thing called the Internet where you can look things up if you don't have the time/money and you still want to know what happened.

It's not uncommon for films today to lack critical information and have massive holes in story telling. Why? Because you have 9 writers and 7 producers who have no idea how to write a complete cohesive story. There IS no overall story. Just one guy handing over the baton to the next ending up in BFE. Even the GOT writers said they didn't get the story. So after taking the wheel from Martin they drove Season 8 off a cliff.

Thanks for the update on Game of Thrones, I hadn't heard about that 80,000 times already.

Anyway, so now the backstory, or missing information, is released in the form of comic books or even lazier still, press releases. For example, Disney's press statement & comics state that the rest of Skywalker's Jedi students apparently survived after Luke has a bad dream and decides to murder his nephew and padawans. Now, apparently they're just gonna show up outta ****ing nowhere looking for who the **** knows what and who knows the **** why?

So, I'm assuming you read this sentence in this press release and urine exploded out of you "With the new Jedi school in ruins and fellow students hot on his trail for the murder of their master, Ben Solo flees to the only friend he has left in the galaxya man named Snoke. But Snoke has plans for Benand ideas about the Force that are as dangerous as they are intriguing for the troubled young Jedi."

The comics are ancillary to the movies. They add color and texture to characters we already know. There's another one about a young Mon Cal who is in Episode IX, but I'm guessing if you just see the movie you can deduce he's probably a friend to the Alliance because Admiral Ackbar was in VI, VII, and VIII. If you want to know more, they're providing you with material, and yes (GASP) you have to pay for it. Unfortunately, your reading comprehension sucks and you can't understand the difference between Luke's students surviving in a comic set before Episode VII and believing they'll show up in Episode IX. But I can't blame that on you, probably should have a talk with your third-grader teacher. I find your lack of reading comprehension disturbing.

Furthermore, to understand things like why suddenly there's a new rebel army despite how R.Johnson killed everybody in the rebel resistance you must buy The Resistance Reborn by Rebecca Roanhorse which takes place b/t the last 2 films.

Or, you could watch the first 25 seconds of the trailer when Poe says "We're not alone, good people will fight if we lead them." I guess that's technically a lack of listening comprehension.

Look, JJ, if you can't tell a story in 3 hours you're doing it wrong and should go back to writing fan fiction in your parents attic.

I'm reasonable, I understand that Rian Johnson butt ****ed Star Wars into a whimpering, neurotic mess and Abrams is trying to recycle sewer water into something Disney Star Wars fan will swallow (and they'll swallow just about anything). But Abrams is a bad writer, a Hollywood hack and has never finished any story well (Lost, StatTrek...).

Tell me more about StatTrek, is it a 5-year mission to find the mean, medium, and mode of 20 integers?

"SO, Why the venom towards Disney Star Wars chumps, Paul SimonsGhost? Are you just an angry a$$h0l3?" Yes, I am. But that's not why.

It's simple. Y'all inadvertently perpetuate the problem. You reward bad behavior by watching and defending Disney, Bob Iger, K. Kennedy and the Hollywood woke machine. Maybe it's indifference, maybe it's a personal lack of sophistication, maybe you just like flat chested English chicks with lightsabers and zero character development.

Disney Star Wars fans are not unlike several gamers today. Those damn Fallout 76, NBA2K or FIFA playing ****ers who continually pay $200 to $2,000 on loot boxes leading to greedy monetization in other IPs that were once great franchises. Disney is no different than the greedy ****s at EA, Activision and Bethesda.

I have never paid $200 or $2,000 or anywhere in between for anything related to Star Wars. This year I'll pay about $50 to go see the movie a few times and $6.99/mo for DIsney+.

You say, "PSG, the point in making movies and games is to make lots of money".

Wrong. That's why you make computer chips and Aston Martins.

In 2014, Aston Martin suffered a pre-tax loss of 72 million, almost triple of the amount of 2013 selling 3,500 cars during the year, well below the 7,300 cars sold in 2007 and 4,200 sold in 2013 respectively.[url=https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aston_Martin#cite_note-FT10162015-84][84][/url] In March 2014, Aston Martin issued "payment in kind" notes of US$165 million, at 10.25% interest, in addition to the 304 million of senior secured notes at 9.25% issued in 2011.[url=https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aston_Martin#cite_note-FT10162015-84][84][/url] Aston Martin also had to secure an additional investment of 200 million from its shareholders to fund development of new models.[url=https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aston_Martin#cite_note-FT10162015-84][84][/url] It was reported that Aston Martin's pre-tax losses for 2016 increased by 27% to 162.8 million, the sixth year it continued to suffer a loss.[url=https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aston_Martin#cite_note-85][85][/url]

The point of film and game development is to create quality art that inspires and brings joy and entertainment. It about creating a legacy of professional greatness while turning a profit so you can continue you're craft.

Nailed it! And I have more joy and entertainment from Star Wars than any other film / game / TV show I've ever seen. Have gone to see all 8 previous episodes with my dad and my brother from 1977 and culminating next month. Couldn't agree with you more!

You wanna be crazy rich? Go to engineering school and build BMWs. But stay the **** outta entertainment.

I think someone already said something to you about engineering, and I know nothing about it. So, whatever that guy said x 2.

I know there are many Entertainment Board posters that are basically nihilists and don't care much about strong plots, themes and generational fan bases. But for those who do remotely give a **** about quality stories and consumer friendly companies, please, consider NOT going to see the latest aborted fetus from Star Wars. As long as stupids by "X" amount of tickets we'll continually receive woke story telling and dull Mary Sue characters.

Yes, please do stay away from Star Wars. It is so much better without you and your incessant whining. Looking forward to your reply - will it be a one-liner to let me know how cool you are or a really long-winded piece to let me know how smart you are?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
In.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Things I like from the "bad" Star Wars movies:

1. The podrace (Especially Ben Burtt's sound design. Can we just take a second to appreciate this man's genius? So many iconic sounds in this saga. He deserves to be mentioned with Ralph McQuarrie and John Williams.)

2. Duel of the ****ing Fates

3. Obi-Wan Kenobi and his smug cockiness ("Hello there.")

4. Natalie Portman's chest and bare midriff throughout AotC

5. Yoda absorbing Dooku's force lightning and launching it back at him

To be continued...
Fat Bib Fortuna
Brian Earl Spilner said:

In.
One of my favorite scenes of Attack of the Clones is when Obi-Wan visits Jango's apartment. You get the feeling that Obi-Wan has not much experience with people going toe to toe with him and not giving him the answers he wants. Jango is elusive and short in all of his answers and Obi-Wan kinda gets it but is also kinda "WTF this guy?" My analysis is that both of them were extremely pleased for a chance to fight the other one. It's a shame they didn't do a rematch on Geonosis, although I do like having Mace Windu fight him because it shows the wide gap between Mace as a Jedi Master fighting vs. Obi-Wan as a Jedi Knight at the time.
Fat Bib Fortuna
The pod race is really something although I get fatigue from it, especially because I know the first Jinn/Maul duel is coming up a little while after it. Would you believe the first time I saw TPM I totally missed Maul's probe droid hovering around when Watto pays Qui-Gon? Really like how Maul takes the fight to QG in their first fight in the desert. I always imagine when Panaka says "Qui-Gon's in trouble" that young Obi-Wan is really scared for a moment like "SAY WHAT?" because you'd have to think there weren't a lot of times in his apprenticeship that someone was seriously kicking Qui-Gon's ass.

Now for speculation for you to answer - if Maul recovers and jumps up onto the Nubian ship and gets inside, are Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon able to take him out in close quarters? That would be a cool fan fic story, particularly if you factor in Anakin's innate sense in the Force trying to help out. And easy to throw in a random lightsaber swing cutting Jar Jar's head off. And the commentary from Ric Olie: "Hey, he has a lightsaber too! "It's red!" "He has horns!"
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I enjoy that scene. They both know the other is full of ****, but they're essentially playing a game of chicken.

And I like how Jango replies "Possibly", just like Obi-Wan did to Anakin at Padme's apartment earlier in the movie.

It's almost like Lucas is trying to tell us subconsciously that this guy is an even match for Obi-Wan.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I do wonder though, if Palp's plans for Anakin were in motion by then? Maybe he had orders not to actually hurt the boy. Not sure.

Is this ever mentioned in the novelization or other canon?
St Hedwig Aggie
AG
Fun thread! It's very entertaining how seriously people take their SW ****! ...and yes this is forum 16 worthy stuff!
Make Mental Asylums Great Again!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
6. The sound of Jango's seismic charges

7. The chase through Coruscant (And finally getting a good look at the underbelly of the city.)

8. Ian McDiarmid's acting. ("Did you ever hear the tragedy of Darth Plagueis the Wise?")

9. Order 66 scene

10. Battle of the Heroes (Both the theme, and the duel itself between Anakin/Obi-Wan.)

More to come...
The Collective
AG
I'm not sure how this thread has gone this long without this gif.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Quote:

Especially Ben Burtt's sound design. Can we just take a second to appreciate this man's genius? So many iconic sounds in this saga. He deserves to be mentioned with Ralph McQuarrie and John Williams.
Agreed.

When we moved to Lake Jackson, my family bought a house that had, in the backyard, the very thing that Ben Burtt used for the sound of the laser blasts. I didn't know it until I watched some documentary after (I think, my memory is getting a little foggy) Empire came out that showed how Burtt went into a field with a recorder and a hammer and started tapping the phone line that came from the above-ground poles into the ground. That hammer tapping the wire is the basis for the sound of the laser blasts. So of course, as soon as I saw that, I went out into our yard with a hammer and damn, that was cool.
Velvet Jones
AG
Daisy Ridley is a smokeshow and anyone who disagrees is fundamentally broken.

So there.
wangus12
AG
Quote:

Now for speculation for you to answer - if Maul recovers and jumps up onto the Nubian ship and gets inside, are Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon able to take him out in close quarters? That would be a cool fan fic story, particularly if you factor in Anakin's innate sense in the Force trying to help out. And easy to throw in a random lightsaber swing cutting Jar Jar's head off. And the commentary from Ric Olie: "Hey, he has a lightsaber too! "It's red!" "He has horns!"
Now we're talking.

"Oh maxi big da force! Dissen gonna be bery messy! Me no watchin! Oh no! Mesa ben decapitated!"
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Quote:

Ian McDiarmid's acting.
I don't believe I've ever seen an actor portray as much hate and contempt as McDiarmid does when he is Force lightening Luke to death in Jedi. And the subtleties he displays in that scene in Sith that you reference ... it's almost as if the actor is not acting.
The Collective
AG
cbr
AG
Urban Ag said:

Nailed it.

TFA was meh/ok/lazy

R1 was a masterpiece, IMO

TLJ just flat out sucked

Mandalorian looks amazing
That about sums it up
Fat Bib Fortuna
I'm hazy on menace Novelization, Terry Brooks wrote it but didn't seem very excited about it. Darth plagueis is the novel that really ties palps to little orphan ani
Just realized I'd love a ric ollie voice over for every trailer
The Collective
AG
My serious comment for this thread... I've never read a Star Wars book or novelization, and it is all just fine for me.

There is a lot of content out there (cartoons, books, comics, movies, etc). It seems like you can consume as much as you want and still get enough to follow the stories. I'm fine with that.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
mazag08
AG
PatAg said:

It's a complete shock to find you so triggered over the mere presence of the word politics.

Never change Forum 13
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Yeah, he's the one triggered. Not the one that just wrote a dissertation about how angry he is about Star Wars...
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.