Disney Star Wars fans, I laugh at your pain.

17,659 Views | 237 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Duncan Idaho
PaulSimonsGhost
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So just how bad of a story teller is JJ Abrams and the political hacks at Lucas Arts? Forget they have had 9 possible endings, several reshoots, and Skywalker is testing badly.

Apparently for those wanting to stick their hand in a blender and watch The Rise of Skywalker you must now purchase some additional reading material.

It's not uncommon for films today to lack critical information and have massive holes in story telling. Why? Because you have 9 writers and 7 producers who have no idea how to write a complete cohesive story. There IS no overall story. Just one guy handing over the baton to the next ending up in BFE. Even the GOT writers said they didn't get the story. So after taking the wheel from Martin they drove Season 8 off a cliff.

Anyway, so now the backstory, or missing information, is released in the form of comic books or even lazier still, press releases.

For example, Disney's press statement & comics state that the rest of Skywalker's Jedi students apparently survived after Luke has a bad dream and decides to murder his nephew and padawans. Now, apparently they're just gonna show up outta ****ing nowhere looking for who the **** knows what and who knows the **** why?

Furthermore, to understand things like why suddenly there's a new rebel army despite how R.Johnson killed everybody in the rebel resistance you must buy The Resistance Reborn by Rebecca Roanhorse which takes place b/t the last 2 films.

Look, JJ, if you can't tell a story in 3 hours you're doing it wrong and should go back to writing fan fiction in your parents attic.

I'm reasonable, I understand that Rian Johnson butt ****ed Star Wars into a whimpering, neurotic mess and Abrams is trying to recycle sewer water into something Disney Star Wars fan will swallow (and they'll swallow just about anything). But Abrams is a bad writer, a Hollywood hack and has never finished any story well (Lost, StatTrek...).

"SO, Why the venom towards Disney Star Wars chumps, Paul SimonsGhost? Are you just an angry a$$h0l3?" Yes, I am. But that's not why.

It's simple. Y'all inadvertently perpetuate the problem. You reward bad behavior by watching and defending Disney, Bob Iger, K. Kennedy and the Hollywood woke machine. Maybe it's indifference, maybe it's a personal lack of sophistication, maybe you just like flat chested English chicks with lightsabers and zero character development.

Disney Star Wars fans are not unlike several gamers today. Those damn Fallout 76, NBA2K or FIFA playing ****ers who continually pay $200 to $2,000 on loot boxes leading to greedy monetization in other IPs that were once great franchises. Disney is no different than the greedy ****s at EA, Activision and Bethesda.

You say, "PSG, the point in making movies and games is to make lots of money".

Wrong. That's why you make computer chips and Aston Martins.

The point of film and game development is to create quality art that inspires and brings joy and entertainment. It about creating a legacy of professional greatness while turning a profit so you can continue you're craft.

You wanna be crazy rich? Go to engineering school and build BMWs. But stay the **** outta entertainment.

I know there are many Entertainment Board posters that are basically nihilists and don't care much about strong plots, themes and generational fan bases. But for those who do remotely give a **** about quality stories and consumer friendly companies, please, consider NOT going to see the latest aborted fetus from Star Wars. As long as stupids by "X" amount of tickets we'll continually receive woke story telling and dull Mary Sue characters.
Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.

Steve McQueen
M.C. Swag
AG
Ok, but how do you really feel?
Al Bula
AG
I'm sure this thread will go well.
FL_Ag1998
AG
Judging by the amount of alcohol you've clearly imbibed in on a Sunday night, I'm guessing you're one of the lucky few who have off tomorrow for Veterans Day. Good for you buddy.
mazag08
AG
Epic rant. Nicely done.
Rex Racer
AG
I never really liked Paul Simon's music much. Still don't.
tk for tu juan
Quote:

You wanna be crazy rich? Go to engineering school...
Haha, you are not getting crazy rich in engineering unless you are an owner/partner of the company.
Belton Ag
AG
Are you the ghost of Paul Simon the singer-songwriter (not dead yet), or the ghost of former Illinois senator Paul Simon (dead af)?
PaulSimonsGhost
AG
FL_Ag1998 said:

Judging by the amount of alcohol you've clearly imbibed in on a Sunday night, I'm guessing you're one of the lucky few who have off tomorrow for Veterans Day. Good for you buddy.

It was things like that which got me through Afghanistan.

Someday I knew I'd want to piss off millennial SciFi fans on my alumni Entertainment Board some Sunday night.

Tonight I cashed that check.

Steve McQueen
PaulSimonsGhost
AG
Belton Ag said:

Are you the ghost of Paul Simon the singer-songwriter (not dead yet), or the ghost of former Illinois senator Paul Simon (dead af)?

I'm the ghost of his dead career.

Actually, I was trying to find a username and all the good ones were taken. Then I noticed Paul Simon's ghostly face was reflecting from his Greatest Hits CD onto my livingroom window. So I decided **** it. Shockingly no one had taken it.

Steve McQueen
Stupe
S
You have a potty mouth.
The Collective
AG
All I can do is applaud the effort.
bearamedic99
AG
I hadn't heard about all the mess that ep 9 has become while trying to avoid spoilers. How much of the above is true?
Gigem314
AG
Rex Racer
AG
PaulSimonsGhost said:

FL_Ag1998 said:

It was things like that which got me through Afghanistan.

Someday I knew I'd want to piss off millennial SciFi fans on my alumni Entertainment Board some Sunday night.

Tonight I cashed that check.

1. Thank you for your service.

2. Not a millennial (I'm older), and not PO'd.
AustinAg2K
Meh. I don't really care if the reviews are bad, I'll still go see it. Reviews for Last Jedi were great. I prefer to make my own opinion.
Ulrich
bearamedic99 said:

I hadn't heard about all the mess that ep 9 has become while trying to avoid spoilers. How much of the above is true?

(I actually have no idea, I've been avoiding all news as well)
Quad Dog
AG
I'm not that passionate about Star Wars, but why does Disney Star Wars get so much hate? Stars Wars before the purchase wasn't doing so hot either, and the future is brighter after the purchase.
PaulSimonsGhost
AG
Look fellas, I really like the intellectual discussions about film that take place here. And TCTTS is a demigod and genuinely the best of people.

I also understand an opinion by definition can't be wrong. So if you genuinely like SJW Wars and it's terrible writing talent on par with a mid 80's Barbarian movie minus the sweet bikini armour and tits, than I suppose I'm a real dick for my criticism.

On the other hand, this isn't art. It's the death of art. When you can't tell good stories because others either don't like what you might say or you want make a propaganda film or simply want to sell toys and beach towels then the craft has been compromised.

Film should push boundaries, shock our senses, offend our grandparents and take us to worlds that can't be found in our daily lives.

Joker for instance, is a fantastic film more interested in telling a compelling, gritty story and depicting the organic creation of an iconic super villain. Like the film it pays homage to, Taxi Driver, it shows subject matter that frightens us and snowflakes be damned.

Joker also had the good sence to know that depicting violence in movies doesn't create mass murders - chemical imbalances, social ostracism and bad parenting does.

Steve McQueen
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
I'm taking notes here. That's how one does a rant, folks.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quote:

Wrong.

Wrong.
Fat Bib Fortuna
I like the sound the lightsabers make.
oragator
I will go see 9 because I have seen the other 8 in the theater and have waited 42 years to see the end of the triple trilogy.
But I am done after that unless there are really strong reviews, the last two have ruined it for me. Complete paint with colors mediocrity. And I will say that there are a whole lot out there like me, Disney is going to be shocked at what a bomb the first post trilogy movie is if it isn't getting great reviews, it already happened with Solo, but that's just a warning shot.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
PaulSimonsGhost
AG
Quad Dog said:

I'm not that passionate about Star Wars, but why does Disney Star Wars get so much hate? Stars Wars before the purchase wasn't doing so hot either, and the future is brighter after the purchase.

Star Wars turned corrupt from Lucas's ivory tower in later years. The first 3 films were a collaboration of young, maverick Hollywood up and comers.

The last 3 films took place in a George Lucas echo chamber. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

In the end, Lucas had become Darth Vader from his Anakin Skywalker origins.

Selling SW to a company like Disney made him more money than God. Bob Iger (the same man who copyrighted "Seal Team 6" with in 24 hours of the Bin Laden raid) would destroy all that was genuine, organic and passionate to make that money back.

Unfortunately they chose Kathleen Kennedy instead of someone like Peter Jackson or Dennis Villeneuve to orchestrate.

Thank goodness for cerebral SciFi fans Dune is on the horizon.

Steve McQueen
Fat Bib Fortuna
I'm going to start going on threads of movies I have no interest in so I can declare to the world that I won't be seeing that movie.
AustinAg2K
Quad Dog said:

It has to do a lot with the Last Jedi and how Disney handled the criticism. Immediately after Last Jedi came out, there was a small, but vocal group complaining about all the SJW stuff jammed into the movie. There was a much larger group that had legitimate complaints about how the character of Luke was handled, and other general problems with the writing. Disney did not separate the two and acknowledge legitimate complaints. They essentially said anyone who complains about the movie is a bigot. It really upset a lot of the hard core fans. If you go back and look at people's responses to Force Awakens and Rogue One, the general community is very positive (those movies had just as much SJW). I bet if you went back and read the Last Jedi thread, you would find early on people bringing up problems with the movie, but not hatred. It wasn't until Kennedy and Johnson deflected all complaints as bigotry that fans really started getting upset.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

I like the sound the lightsabers make.

Jango's seismic charges
Render
AG
PaulSimonsGhost said:

"SO, Why the venom towards Disney Star Wars chumps, Paul SimonsGhost? Are you just an angry a$$h0l3?" Yes, I am. But that's not why.

It's simple. Y'all inadvertently perpetuate the problem. You reward bad behavior by watching and defending Disney, Bob Iger, K. Kennedy and the Hollywood woke machine. Maybe it's indifference, maybe it's a personal lack of sophistication, maybe you just like flat chested English chicks with zero character arch.
This.

Duncan Idaho
Ok boomer
PatAg
AG
It's a complete shock to find out the OP is a Politics board regular.
PaulSimonsGhost
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Quote:

Wrong.

Wrong.

Well, yeah, duh, technically you're absolutely right. The studio owners and stockholders definitely want the money. And they keep Spendoholic directors from making Waterworld-esqe disasters.

But the actual film makers who compromise plot to include a few more financial demographic groups or nerf the action scenes to get a PG-13 rating... that's where souls get sold.

Can you imagine Goodfellas or Schindler's List w/o the violence? What jokes should have been edited out of Beverly Hills Cop 1 &2 to bring in more families? Or what if Ferris Bueller's Day Off and The Breakfast Club targeted a more younger teen audience drunk on babysitting money earnings?

Do you honestly believe a superior alien civilization won't one day destroy our planet once they discover The Twilight Series or High School Musical 2?!

Steve McQueen
johncAG
AG
I like green lightsabers

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.