Random complaints about movies

30,297 Views | 289 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Brian Earl Spilner
Bruce Almighty
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Red stag isn't native to America, but it's been introduced here.
Urban Ag
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

Red stag isn't native to America, but it's been introduced here.
yes, but I am pretty skeptical that red stag was introduced in Pennsylvania prior to the 1960's on public land that steel workers had access to.

Disclaimer: I am highly entrenched in the exotic wildlife industry.

TresPuertas
AG
Urban Ag said:

So I hate to even post this because it's about my favorite movie of all time.

Saving Private Ryan. For me, the masterpiece.

The scene where Miller's rescue squad enters the first French town on the journey and they link up with Airborne elements of either the 82nd or 101st. When Capt Miller throws out the plan to start moving through the streets, he tells Sgt Horvath to take care of Upham. Upham is clinging to Horvath likes he's about to have a meltdown. Moments later Upham is calmly talking with the other soldiers.

The whole scene where Carpazo take the little girl after his NCO and Officer are yelling at him not to, and doing so adds no value to anything, is just so awkward. It never really dawned on me before until I was switching back and forth between that and the KC game.

Very strangely done scene in what is elsewise, a pretty perfect film. IMO.

It's sad because the More that I watch this movie, the more problems I find. After Caparzo gets shot the little girl goes right back to her family and the dad scoops her up and has a change of heart and decides to keep her. Why?

That scene always bothered the hell out of me. I understand the need to gradually find a way to eliminate members of Capt. Miller's squad but I can't imagine, even in the foggiest of war situations, how this would have actually happened. It was just too far fetched
Urban Ag
AG
Yeah, it's just one of those things where you have a "WTF Spielberg" moment. Some of the bravado talk was really overdone too in the middle act. But my god the first act and the third are Hollywood at its best.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
That sequence felt like Spielberg wanting to have a sequence featuring what I'd call one of his trademarks - kids. As I recall, it elicited some modest laughter when I saw it on opening night, but the entire thing felt forced and out of place. Not that there could not have been a French family hunkering down in their home amid all the war, but I rather doubt that any infantry unit is going to take on a civilian child such as the one soldier tried to do.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
To be fair, they weren't going to "take her on". Captain Miller is clearly telling Caparzo not to take her and Caparzo says that she reminds him of his niece (or sister maybe). Before Miller can put his foot down, Caparzo is shot. They weren't going to actually take her.
And once Caparzo is shot, the father realizes this too.
I don't think that scene is all that far fetched and all.
Texaggie7nine
Ya, it's a bit of an awkward scene, but I understood it was just another horror of the war that Spielberg wanted to get in.

Makes some sense. The Parents are shell shocked, after facing all out war with no way to protect themselves. They see friendly soldiers, they figure their daughter has the best chance under their protection, but then sees one of them get shot and reconsiders.
7nine
expresswrittenconsent
Well since we are on SPR, the ending was contrived and basically just emotional manipulation. Very reminiscent of his cheeseball 80s tv show, Amazing Stories.
Holy hell that opening scene was incredible, though.
HtownAg92
AG
expresswrittenconsent said:

Well since we are on SPR, the ending was contrived and basically just emotional manipulation. Very reminiscent of his cheeseball 80s tv show, Amazing Stories.
Holy hell that opening scene was incredible, though.
expresswrittenconsent
Yeah that ww2 episode where the belly gunner is stuck in the turret and the landing gear wont drop had an amazing ending. I wont spoil it for you. Go watch it.

Steven Spielberg. Amazing Stories. 1985.
Furlock Bones
AG
Urban Ag said:

Furlock Bones said:

Apache said:

Movies like "The Deer Hunter" set in Pennsylvania or "Last of the Mohicans" set in New York.
They depict hunters killing (or trying to kill) Red Deer.... which are not found in North America.

Elk roamed much of the entire US including NY state when Last of the Mohicans is set.
True but whatever the F they killed in the Deer Hunter was not a whitetail which is the only species of deer in that neck of the woods. It did in fact look like a bad genetic red deer (aka red stag) and that always threw me off about that film.

Yea I actually haven't seen The Deer Hunter. Just last of the Mohicans. And that was an elk in Mohicans.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG

Yeah that ww2 episode where the belly gunner is stuck in the turret and the landing gear wont drop had an amazing ending. I wont spoil it for you. Go watch it.

There's a lot about that ending battle scene that can be nit picked.

I LOVE SPR but yeah, looking at it objectively and with some historical knowledge, much of that scene is pure Hollywood.
aTmAg
AG

I WTFed at that as a kid.
Texaggie7nine
aTmAg said:

That and the movie Weird Science gave us nerd kids some high hopes.
7nine
expresswrittenconsent
aTmAg said:

Yeah, me too. I felt like Ralphie in A Christmas Story. Be sure to drink your ovaltine. Wait, what BS ending did they just pull here? Cartoon wheels? GTFO.
expresswrittenconsent
Texaggie7nine said:

aTmAg said:

I will admit that I had zero problems with the weird science happening in weird science.
And since that movie was mentioned, it is obligatory that I mention that Wyatt from weird science was a prof at A&M for a number of years. Yes, virtually everyone posting on this thread who has seen weird science already knew this, but I still felt obligated.
TexasAggie_02
AG
What really bugged me about Jurassic park was that the car doors auto-locked, yet there was a bathroom at the T-Rex paddock, they cut the rafting scene, and that Jeffrey Epstein didn't kill himself.
Bruce Almighty
AG

aTmAg said:

Yeah, me too. I felt like Ralphie in A Christmas Story. Be sure to drink your ovaltine. Wait, what BS ending did they just pull here? Cartoon wheels? GTFO.

Speaking of A Christmas Story, I'm always bothered by the black kids in the classroom with Ralphie. I'm pretty sure Indiana wasn't integrated in the 40s.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

aTmAg said:

Speaking of A Christmas Story, I'm always bothered by the black kids in the classroom with Ralphie. I'm pretty sure Indiana wasn't integrated in the 40s.
Me reading this:

Speaking of A Christmas Story, I'm always bothered by the black kids in the classroom with Ralphie.

I'm pretty sure Indiana wasn't integrated in the 40s.
Urban Ag
AG

aTmAg said:

Wasn't that the point?
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

aTmAg said:

And an English Professor
Owner of Texian Firearms:
Dealer in Firearms, Optics, Night Vision and other shooting accessories.
US importer/distributor of Rudolph Optics
Supporting bad financial decisions since 2015
expresswrittenconsent
If the point was a prestigious 2 part episode during sweeps very early in the shows 2 season run that caused people to stop watching because of how incredibly stupid the ending was, then yes, I guess that they totally nailed it.

aTmAg
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

aTmAg said:

What is funny about my first watching of that movie, is that I was all in for making a girl and all of that crap, but, I WTFed when they created nuclear missiles. So I had no issue with them making a smoking hot girl from a doll, but could not accept an ICBM in the kitchen from a picture on a magazine. It wasn't until a couple years that I accepted it for what it was and realized it was funny as hell.

"I don't want to lose my teaching job..." lol
aTmAg
AG

aTmAg said:

Exactly. It would be like LA Confidential turning into Who Framed Roger Rabbit in the last 10 minutes.

However, if I remember correctly, right after that show was Alfred Hitchcock presents. That show was great.
Carlo4
AG
YouBet said:

Almost no one in movies or tv ever says bye when ending a phone conversation. One of the parties just hangs up on the other. Even with conversations that are not had in anger.
I do this in real life. Drives people insane. I wonder if this is where I learned it.

Carlo4
AG

Memphis Belle, 1990
expresswrittenconsent
RIP, Chet
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
PDEMDHC said:

YouBet said:

Almost no one in movies or tv ever says bye when ending a phone conversation. One of the parties just hangs up on the other. Even with conversations that are not had in anger.
I do this in real life. Drives people insane. I wonder if this is where I learned it.

At the opposite end of the call, the beginning. People in TV and movies pick up the phone and answer with "yeah". F that noise. That's rude as hell. I actually had a buddy that would do that crap about 20 years ago until one day I just couldn't bite my tongue any longer and told him how big of a dooosh he came off as doing that.
HtownAg92
AG
I just got sucked into watching all of Point Break again last night, and there are two rando complaints that I had forgot about:

1. At the sandwich shop where "Utah, get me two" -- 2 meatball subs, a tuna on wheat and 2 lemonades is something like $7.50. Maybe in 1960, but not 1991.

2. The skydiving scenes. Never mind that Johnny basically became a master the second he jumped out of the plane, but they dropped for like 5 minutes each jump. Were they 20 miles up? In the second one, they supposedly only went high enough to open the chutes, yet Johnny had time to throw a fit in the plane, decide to jump, fly down to Bodhi, wrestle and argue with him for a while, then pull.
Bruce Almighty
AG
1/4 races that take like 45 seconds in the F&F movies.
MSFC Aggie
AG
Dumb and Dumber: When Lloyd is taking a wiz in the gas station bathroom, he sees the manly love at 2:15 am sign. He looks at his watch, seeing it is 2:15am. He puts down the seat on the toilet and climbs up, trying to hide from Sea Bass. Mean while, Harry comes running in with his leg on fire, and sticks it in the toilet...splashing water all over the place. Lloyd never flushed the toilet. They both have diluted pee water all over them.
Texaggie7nine
That actually seems like something they would mean to happen in the movie.
7nine
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
MSFC Aggie said:

Dumb and Dumber: When Lloyd is taking a wiz in the gas station bathroom, he sees the manly love at 2:15 am sign. He looks at his watch, seeing it is 2:15am. He puts down the seat on the toilet and climbs up, trying to hide from Sea Bass. Mean while, Harry comes running in with his leg on fire, and sticks it in the toilet...splashing water all over the place. Lloyd never flushed the toilet. They both have diluted pee water all over them.

Yeah, that's not a mistake.
Flashdiaz
AG
this IS the same movie where they pissed themselves to keep warm.
Bob Loblaws Law Blog
AG
MSFC Aggie said:

War of the worlds, all that advanced technology, and the aliens didn't know about bacteria??
Kind of like in Signs - why would the aliens visit a planet that's covered in 70% of their greatest weakness?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.