The Far Side is coming back

16,554 Views | 144 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Thunder18
MW03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyway, back to Far Side, I agree with the above post that the two aren't really similar enough to compare. C&H is a story; Far Side is a vignette. The only things similar about them are (1) they are drawn, and (2) they once appeared in the paper. I prefer C&H personally, but I don't think that diminishes Far Side at all. It's brilliant for what it is.

Corporal Punishment
AG
These are absolute gems. What I love about the Far Side is that it's "look and belly laugh" rather than trying to follow script. It's just so easy to enjoy. Gary Larson has such a warped mind.
Sex Panther
AG
Jim01 said:

The two best for sure.

Calvin & Hobbes also gets bonus points for sticking the landing. The last strip always brings some mist to the eyes.

I still remember this... I think my childhood legit ended that day.
Emotional Support Cobra
AG
Redstone
AG
It is indisputably the case that I know more about Dylan than anyone on this board. It's not even close.

I have all official releases - including the expensive deluxe box sets - a LOT of bootlegs, and plenty of imports.

I have also detailed - across multiple threads over multiple years - the changes I would have made to cover art, song selection, lyrics, ect.
Redstone
AG
More relevant to this thread, I have had for many years the complete collection of both The Far Side and Calvin & Hobbes - the 2 volume deluxe collectors edition, ordered and delivered at first availability.
Tobias Funke
AG
Hey redstone, STFU for once
Redstone
AG
As to the question of the greatest comic strip of all time, there are 3 contenders: Peanuts, Calvin & Hobbes, and The Far Side.

Unfortunately, things get fairly subjective fairly quickly from there. I personally would choose The Far Side, but we would have to establish a rubric and a hierarchy of what qualities should be most valued (i.e influence, duration, drawing skill, consistency).
Urban Ag
AG
watty said:

My favorite thing about Far Side is that the humor is incredibly dark and violent but he gets away with it because of the silliness and the absurdity. Like he manages to joke about murder and torture and all sorts of evil and most people, I think, don't even notice it. I love that.
that is a really astute observation
62strat
AG
I have always been a huge far side fan. Looking at every strip in this thread, some I had never seen before, I instantly laugh. It's one frame with few words, sometimes none needed at all.

I read through all the calvin and hobbes strips in this thread too, and I only really laughed at the one where he's nailing the table.

It's amazing to me what Larson did with one frame. Some of these calvin and hobbes are long and drawn out (like the one where he's selling lemonade), and then the punchline is predictable and/or just moderately funny.

Larson def. had a Stephen Wright/Mitch Hedberg type of vibe, and I love both of those comics. Very normal, mundane, everyday stuff, but makes you look at it a different way.

The far side is instantly recognizable, even though he never reused characters. You could change the look of the art, and likely still know it's Larson.

And as someone said before.. the topics are just so unique.. death, destruction, stupidity.. all in a one frame comic. This is completely unique and innovative. Then you have the ongoing look into what animals are thinking, which just connects with anyone and everyone.

62strat
AG
CE Lounge Lizzard said:

Belton Ag said:

hph6203 said:

Corporal Punishment said:

Dude was a legend...and I generally don't like comics. He was the best in his day

I respect your perspective, but I submit Bill Watterson as a challenger to that claim.
The Far Side was funny as hell and my favorite comic strip. I'm so glad it's coming back.

But Calvin and Hobbes is easily the greatest comic strip of all time. The genius of it being hilarious and silly while genuinely reflecting so many facets of human nature, youthful innocence and even a tad of cynicism hasn't been matched.

The Far Side and Calvin and Hobbes are without a doubt my two favorite comic strips of all time.

Does anyone remember an animated Far Side special that aired about the time Larson retired the strip? The only thing I seem to remember from it is cowboys are sitting around a campfire and break out into singing "Deep in the Heart of Texas". When the get to the clap clap clap clap part one of the cowboys claps one too many times and gets shot. Upon his demise he's revealed to be a green tentacled shape shifting alien of some description. It was quite random and I remember laughing my butt off.
Gary Larson's Tales from the Far Side TV
Rex Racer
AG
I had this on a t-shirt back in the day.

Rex Racer
AG
Damn, I thought this was my thread.

https://texags.com/forums/13/topics/3060199
TheEyeGuy
AG
Rex Racer said:

I had this on a t-shirt back in the day.

Had that one too. Other one I had was "Midvale School for the Gifted" with the kid pounding on the door, trying to push it in and there was a sign just above his head that said "Pull."

Another cool thing about the shirts was there was a "frame two" on each of them. The bears one had a small, black and white cartoon where both were dead and mounted and the one of the left is looking over angrily at the pointing bear. The Midvale one had the kid slumped over, dead tired, leaning against the door. I don't remember what "Bummer of a birthmark's" picture was.
Owner of Texian Firearms:
Dealer in Firearms, Optics, Night Vision and other shooting accessories.
US importer/distributor of Rudolph Optics
Supporting bad financial decisions since 2015
Woody2006
AG
I can't imagine denigrating either of those fine comic strips. Totally different styles. Deciding which is better is like asking if Chinese food is better than Mexican food. Both are amazing but you can't really compare the two unless you just like to compare apples with oranges.
JJxvi
AG
The fact that someone has tried to portray The Far Side as more of an adult level humor than Calvin and Hobbes is amazing to me.
Urban Ag
AG
Yeah, I didn't want to clutter the thread, but Bloom County was always my favorite growing up. Far Side was a close #2. Both are pure greatness. Never read much C&H but I recall the following was huge.

In 8th grade I won some math award for plotting out the silhouette of Steve Dallas at the bar with his cig hanging from his mouth and a martini.
Urban Ag
AG
This is my second favorite Far Side of all time

and as someone noted earlier, Larson really had a genius, kind of twisted, sense of humor. It's literally a "f it, we're getting nuked" joke. Epitome of the 80's.
heddleston
AG
Holy crap, guys. The correct answer to Far Side vs Calvin and Hobbes is, "Yes."
62strat
AG
Urban Ag said:

This is my second favorite Far Side of all time

and as someone noted earlier, Larson really had a genius, kind of twisted, sense of humor. It's literally a "f it, we're getting nuked" joke. Epitome of the 80's.
He really had a way with selecting the perfect names for his characters as well.
Diggity
AG
You guys are making me want to bust out my Complete Farside Collection (already referenced by Redstone).

Thing weigths about 50 pounds though

CE Lounge Lizzard
AG
Diggity said:

You guys are making me want to bust out my Complete Farside Collection (already referenced by Redstone).

Thing weigths about 50 pounds though

I got the paperback version for my dad a few years ago. He was surprised and enjoys reading thru them now that he's retired and has the time.
Diggity
AG
Haven't heard of Bloom County. Similar to Doonesbury?
Corporal Punishment
AG
62strat said:

Urban Ag said:

He really had a way with selecting the perfect names for his characters as well.

This.

"McCallister" absolutely slays me on that bug spray one that was posted earlier.

Somehow it's perfect.
jenn96
AG
I know I'm going to hell but this was always my favorite. I think I laughed like a hyena the first time I saw it.

Urban Ag
AG
Diggity said:

Haven't heard of Bloom County. Similar to Doonesbury?
Honestly don't know as I never really got in to Doonesbury. I would guess similar in that much of the commentary is political/cultural satire. I think Bloom County probably appealed more to the right and Doonesbury to the left. Obviously Trudeau was doing something right with Doonesbury as it's still in syndication.
halibut sinclair
Bloom County has been back online with new strips since 2015:

https://www.facebook.com/berkeleybreathed/
AirplaneAg09
AG
Far Side and C&H readings accounted for about a billion hours of bathroom time for young me. This is always my first thought when someone mentions Far Side...

Had to come back for this one too...

bearamedic99
AG
Quad Dog said:

Classic TexAgs.
I have this thread in my head that will probably get nuked by staff calling out the worst takes on TexAgs Entertainment boards.
  • atmAg complaining about First Man without having seen it
  • atmAg's posts about Calvin and Hobbes
  • Redstone's posts about his knowledge of Bob Dylan
  • I remember some rant about karate in movies, and how getting better at karate is always the solution
  • I remember another rant about actresses having "circus boobs"
  • Batzarro claiming Emma Watson is basic.

I'm not sure what is meant by circus boobs but I want to say it was Iceman who ranted about, in martial arts fights, whomever wanted it more and made the meaner face won.
JJxvi
AG
So getting back to The Far Side, and knowing a bit about his history, but not much actually about the guy...are we sure this isnt just going to be "I felt the need to write some new cartoons to fight Trump and against climate change!"
jenn96
AG
JJxvi said:

So getting back to The Far Side, and knowing a bit about his history, but not much actually about the guy...are we sure this isnt just going to be "I felt the need to write some new cartoons to fight Trump and against climate change!"
Anything is possible but his original cartoons were so totally apolitical; I would hate it if they became political at all, even if it were even-handed and satirical.
spanky
AG
Can we all agree that the Family Circus sucks?
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
This one along with the dogs trying to shoot a cat out of the tree.

Atreides Ornithopter
AG
If someone asked me last week what my two favorite cartoon strips were, I would say Far Side and Calvin & Hobbs. Mainly because they are so different than all the others.

Now to the adult theme. My 10 year old, once he could read very well "got" most all of the Calvin & Hobbs. But for Far side there are way too many that have history or philosophical concepts that kids just don't know about, but once they are explained, the kids would get it. Take for example that Custer Last view or this one

my son didn't get this one until I told him a cow started the Chicago fire, that was all I said but then he thought it was hilarious.

Stive
AG
To the person that mentioned Peanuts as being in the conversation:

I think it was solid for it's time and impressive with its longevity, but it was WAY more depressing than it was funny or insightful.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.