The Far Side is coming back

16,688 Views | 144 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Thunder18
kb2001
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Apparently, Gary Larson is starting the comic again. Not sure if the younger folks know about this but anybody over 35 should remember the greatness

https://nerdist.com/article/gary-larsons-the-far-side-cartoon-coming-back/
Corporal Punishment
AG
Dude was a legend...and I generally don't like comics. He was the best in his day
Jim01
AG
Raptor
AG
I bought the 365 day calendar and some days that comic was the best part of my day.
This post is for Cretaceous Level Subscribers only.

jeffk
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Raptor said:

I bought the 365 day calendar and some days that comic was the best part of my day.

I was such a dork in elementary school that I had the 365 day calendar on my little desk.
hph6203
AG
Corporal Punishment said:

Dude was a legend...and I generally don't like comics. He was the best in his day

I respect your perspective, but I submit Bill Watterson as a challenger to that claim.
aTmAg
AG
hph6203 said:

I respect your perspective, but I submit Bill Watterson as a challenger to that claim.
I can't think of a time where I laughed until I cried with Calvin and Hobbes. I had a bunch with Far Side.
Corporal Punishment
AG
Same
Muy
AG
Boner alert
double aught
AG
aTmAg said:

hph6203 said:

I can't think of a time where I laughed until I cried with Calvin and Hobbes. I had a bunch with Far Side.
This one killed me as a kid.

Corporal Punishment
AG
If Gary Larson were a comedian, he'd be Stephen Wright.

CE Lounge Lizzard
AG

Corporal Punishment
aTmAg
AG
Even as an adult, I still find stuff like this funny:

aTmAg
AG
So I'm looking through a bunch right now, and so far, every one that I haven't seen before is making me laugh. I forgot how good these are. I wish I could forget all the ones I've already seen.
Urban Ag
AG
My favorite of all time

Belton Ag
AG
hph6203 said:

The Far Side was funny as hell and my favorite comic strip. I'm so glad it's coming back.

But Calvin and Hobbes is easily the greatest comic strip of all time. The genius of it being hilarious and silly while genuinely reflecting so many facets of human nature, youthful innocence and even a tad of cynicism hasn't been matched.

aTmAg
AG
You reminded me of this one (one of my favorites):

CE Lounge Lizzard
AG
Belton Ag said:

hph6203 said:

The Far Side was funny as hell and my favorite comic strip. I'm so glad it's coming back.

But Calvin and Hobbes is easily the greatest comic strip of all time. The genius of it being hilarious and silly while genuinely reflecting so many facets of human nature, youthful innocence and even a tad of cynicism hasn't been matched.

The Far Side and Calvin and Hobbes are without a doubt my two favorite comic strips of all time.

Does anyone remember an animated Far Side special that aired about the time Larson retired the strip? The only thing I seem to remember from it is cowboys are sitting around a campfire and break out into singing "Deep in the Heart of Texas". When the get to the clap clap clap clap part one of the cowboys claps one too many times and gets shot. Upon his demise he's revealed to be a green tentacled shape shifting alien of some description. It was quite random and I remember laughing my butt off.
St Hedwig Aggie
AG
I have so many of these annual calendars! No one ever came close!
Make Mental Asylums Great Again!
aTmAg
AG
Belton Ag said:

hph6203 said:

It's nowhere near as funny. In my book, to be the "greatest comic strip of all time", it has to be pretty damned funny. I can't find one that even makes me exhale out of my nose harder than usual.
MW03
AG
aTmAg
AG
CE Lounge Lizzard said:

Belton Ag said:

hph6203 said:

The Far Side and Calvin and Hobbes are without a doubt my two favorite comic strips of all time.

Does anyone remember an animated Far Side special that aired about the time Larson retired the strip? The only thing I seem to remember from it is cowboys are sitting around a campfire and break out into singing "Deep in the Heart of Texas". When the get to the clap clap clap clap part one of the cowboys claps one too many times and gets shot. Upon his demise he's revealed to be a green tentacled shape shifting alien of some description. It was quite random and I remember laughing my butt off.
Holy crap that is hilarious. I did not see this.
Gigem314
AG
FL_Ag1998
AG
aTmAg said:

Belton Ag said:

hph6203 said:

It's nowhere near as funny. In my book, to be the "greatest comic strip of all time", it has to be pretty damned funny. I can't find one that even makes me exhale out of my nose harder than usual.

Then you have no sense of humor.
aTmAg
AG
FL_Ag1998 said:

aTmAg said:

Belton Ag said:

hph6203 said:

Maybe I don't have a toddler's sense of humor. Post a C&Hs cartoon that you think holds up to the Far Side ones posted here. I looked, and I couldn't find any.
Belton Ag
AG
aTmAg said:

FL_Ag1998 said:

aTmAg said:

Belton Ag said:

hph6203 said:

Maybe I don't have a toddler's sense of humor. Post a C&Hs cartoon that you think holds up to the Far Side ones posted here. I looked, and I couldn't find any.
The fact that you associate Calvin and Hobbes with a toddler's sense of humor just cements your troll status.
aTmAg
AG
Belton Ag said:

aTmAg said:

FL_Ag1998 said:

aTmAg said:

Belton Ag said:

hph6203 said:

The fact that you associate Calvin and Hobbes with a toddler's sense of humor just cements your troll status.
Maybe not toddler, but it's certainly not funny for an adult. The Far side was funny for both.
Sex Panther
AG
You are so wrong on Calvin and Hobbes it's not even worth discussing

But Far Side is absolute greatness
aTmAg
AG
Sex Panther said:

Post a C&H that you think is as funny for an adult then. I'm willing to admit I am wrong.
Belton Ag
AG
All of them. There, now they're posted.

tysker
AG
aTmAg said:

Sex Panther said:

Post a C&H that you think is as funny for an adult then. I'm willing to admit I am wrong.
aTmAg: Man of Action

aTmAg
AG
Belton Ag said:

So you couldn't find any?
Belton Ag
AG
aTmAg said:

Belton Ag said:

So you couldn't find any?
Are you really asking if I couldn't find any Calvin and Hobbes that I find funny? Really?

This is such a dumb derail, as are most derails you cause. As it is a derail, I'm out before I get banned for it.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.