The Far Side is coming back

16,678 Views | 144 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Thunder18
aTmAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Belton Ag said:

aTmAg said:

Belton Ag said:

All of them. There, now they're posted.
So you couldn't find any?
Are you really asking if I couldn't find any Calvin and Hobbes that I find funny? Really?

This is such a dumb derail, as are most derails you cause. As it is a derail, I'm out before I get banned for it.
No, I was asking for one that you think other adults would find funny.

And I find it humorous that you call my post a derail, when you guys are coming into a Far Side thread declaring that C&H is the "greatest ever".
Bones08
AG
The Far Side and Calvin & Hobbes are my two favorite comics. I'm glad to have them both. This C&H always gets me: https://www.gocomics.com/calvinandhobbes/1990/12/07
Bones08
AG
Now I'm going down a rabbit hole. To further derail:

CW Griswold
Of course this thread would turn into some stupid pissing contest.

Don't change TexAgs.
hph6203
AG
aTmAg said:

Sex Panther said:

You are so wrong on Calvin and Hobbes it's not even worth discussing
Post a C&H that you think is as funny for an adult then. I'm willing to admit I am wrong.
Calvin and Hobbes is better as an adult than it is as a child, because the main premise of the strip is to remind you of what it's like to be a child. To live in a world with far less responsibility and far more time for imagination and mischief. A child doesn't have the reference of what it's like to not be a child so they don't understand it as fully as an adult does.

I also reject your assertion that a comic has to make you laugh in order to be great. Comics are art and as art they are supposed to elicit some kind of emotion from you. What makes Calvin and Hobbes great is that, while there are strips that make you laugh, there's so much more to it than that.
schmendeler
AG
Of course atmag comes down on the side of not liking Calvin and Hobbes. Of course!
Emotional Support Cobra
AG
aTmAg
AG
hph6203 said:

aTmAg said:

Sex Panther said:

Post a C&H that you think is as funny for an adult then. I'm willing to admit I am wrong.
Calvin and Hobbes is better as an adult than it is as a child, because the main premise of the strip is to remind you of what it's like to be a child. To live in a world with far less responsibility and far more time for imagination and mischief. A child doesn't have the reference of what it's like to not be a child so they don't understand it as fully as an adult does.

I also reject your assertion that a comic has to make you laugh in order to be great. Comics are art and as art they are supposed to elicit some kind of emotion from you. What makes Calvin and Hobbes great is that, while there are strips that make you laugh, there's so much more to it than that.
So you think that what it loses in humor, it gains in depth? I personally don't think that a 4 or 5 panel comic lends itself to being particularly deep. That one should read a novel or something for that. I think people tend to go to comics for humor, not depth. That's why they were called the "funnies" back in the day (maybe they still are? I don't know).
Bones08
AG
aTmAg said:

hph6203 said:

aTmAg said:

Sex Panther said:

So you think that what it loses in humor, it gains in depth? I personally don't think that a 4 or 5 panel comic lends itself to being particularly deep. That one should read a novel or something for that. I think people tend to go to comics for humor, not depth. That's why they were called the "funnies" back in the day (maybe they still are? I don't know).
They used to be called the funnies, but I believe comic strips like Calvin & Hobbes evolved the comic strip beyond just a laugh (not that just a laugh is an insult or anything).

Again, I love both The Far Side and C&H. I refuse to choose a favorite, partly because it is a little apples and oranges. The Far Side is like Dumb & Dumber. It makes me laugh until I cry. Calvin & Hobbes is like my favorite Wes Anderson. It makes me laugh at certain times and makes me feel other emotions as well.

Hope that makes sense.

I think its clear that C&H isn't for you. That's fine.
aTmAg
AG

"Thagomizer" has since become the informal name of the spikes on a stegosaurus.
aTmAg
AG
Bones08 said:

aTmAg said:

hph6203 said:

aTmAg said:

Sex Panther said:

They used to be called the funnies, but I believe comic strips like Calvin & Hobbes evolved the comic strip beyond just a laugh (not that just a laugh is an insult or anything).

Again, I love both The Far Side and C&H. I refuse to choose a favorite, partly because it is a little apples and oranges. The Far Side is like Dumb & Dumber. It makes me laugh until I cry. Calvin & Hobbes is like my favorite Wes Anderson. It makes me laugh at certain times and makes me feel other emotions as well.

Hope that makes sense.

I think its clear that C&H isn't for you. That's fine.
Don't get me wrong. C&H is a good comic. I do not think it was humorless (I liked the ones with the snowmen). But I just don't think it was the "greatest ever" nor better than The Far Side.

I disagree on the Dumb and Dumber comparison. That implies that it was sort of silly and brainless. Far Side was damn intelligent. That's a reason why so many scientists loved it.
Bones08
AG
Yea, perhaps Dumb & Dumber was a bad comparison. Although I think there is some smart comedy in it as well.
Red Dane
aTmAg said:

FL_Ag1998 said:

aTmAg said:

Belton Ag said:

hph6203 said:

Corporal Punishment said:

Dude was a legend...and I generally don't like comics. He was the best in his day

I respect your perspective, but I submit Bill Watterson as a challenger to that claim.
The Far Side was funny as hell and my favorite comic strip. I'm so glad it's coming back.

But Calvin and Hobbes is easily the greatest comic strip of all time. The genius of it being hilarious and silly while genuinely reflecting so many facets of human nature, youthful innocence and even a tad of cynicism hasn't been matched.

It's nowhere near as funny. In my book, to be the "greatest comic strip of all time", it has to be pretty damned funny. I can't find one that even makes me exhale out of my nose harder than usual.

Then you have no sense of humor.
Maybe I don't have a toddler's sense of humor. Post a C&Hs cartoon that you think holds up to the Far Side ones posted here. I looked, and I couldn't find any.
Not even the snowmen ones? I find them both to be wonderful - Farside does not age quite as well as I had to explain a few to my teen.
J.P. 03
AG
One of my favorites as a kid:

TheEyeGuy
AG

If Gary Larson were a comedian, he'd be Stephen Wright.

I had this shirt
Owner of Texian Firearms:
Dealer in Firearms, Optics, Night Vision and other shooting accessories.
US importer/distributor of Rudolph Optics
Supporting bad financial decisions since 2015
Quad Dog
AG
Classic TexAgs.
I have this thread in my head that will probably get nuked by staff calling out the worst takes on TexAgs Entertainment boards.
  • atmAg complaining about First Man without having seen it
  • atmAg's posts about Calvin and Hobbes
  • Redstone's posts about his knowledge of Bob Dylan
  • I remember some rant about karate in movies, and how getting better at karate is always the solution
  • I remember another rant about actresses having "circus boobs"
  • Batzarro claiming Emma Watson is basic.
aTmAg
AG
Red Dane said:

aTmAg said:

FL_Ag1998 said:

aTmAg said:

Belton Ag said:

hph6203 said:

Dude was a legend...and I generally don't like comics. He was the best in his day

I respect your perspective, but I submit Bill Watterson as a challenger to that claim.
The Far Side was funny as hell and my favorite comic strip. I'm so glad it's coming back.

But Calvin and Hobbes is easily the greatest comic strip of all time. The genius of it being hilarious and silly while genuinely reflecting so many facets of human nature, youthful innocence and even a tad of cynicism hasn't been matched.

It's nowhere near as funny. In my book, to be the "greatest comic strip of all time", it has to be pretty damned funny. I can't find one that even makes me exhale out of my nose harder than usual.

Then you have no sense of humor.
Maybe I don't have a toddler's sense of humor. Post a C&Hs cartoon that you think holds up to the Far Side ones posted here. I looked, and I couldn't find any.
Not even the snowmen ones? I find them both to be wonderful - Farside does not age quite as well as I had to explain a few to my teen.
Yeah I mentioned the snowmen ones above. Those were funny.
MW03
AG
MW03
AG
hph6203
AG
aTmAg said:

hph6203 said:

aTmAg said:

Sex Panther said:

There's a difference between depth and detail. A novel can be deep and it can be detailed, but depth doesn't require a lot of detail. It's about the innate truth of something. It's a 4 or 5 panel comic strip with 10 years of context for the characters and a lifetime of personal experiences that you bring to it.
aTmAg
AG
Quad Dog said:

Classic TexAgs.
I have this thread in my head that will probably get nuked by staff calling out the worst takes on TexAgs Entertainment boards.
  • atmAg complaining about First Man without having seen it
  • atmAg's posts about Calvin and Hobbes
  • Redstone's posts about his knowledge of Bob Dylan
  • I remember some rant about karate in movies, and how getting better at karate is always the solution
  • I remember another rant about actresses having "circus boobs"
  • Batzarro claiming Emma Watson is basic.

I sure as hell was proven correct on that. That movie disappointed at the box office because of exactly what I predicted. Glossing over the acting aspects of Armstrong's life that made him special, and focusing on the boring stuff that made him similar to the rest of us. Hollywood should hire me as an advisor.
aTmAg
AG
hph6203 said:

aTmAg said:

hph6203 said:

aTmAg said:

Sex Panther said:

There's a difference between depth and detail. A novel can be deep and it can be detailed, but depth doesn't require a lot of detail. It's about the innate truth of something. It's a 4 or 5 panel comic strip with 10 years of context for the characters and a lifetime of personal experiences that you bring to it.
I don't think C&H really went that deep. It was a kid behaving like a little kid while saying things that adults would say. That was most of it's shtick. People seem to be reading a lot more into it than is there.
Rex Racer
AG
When I saw all the activity on this thread, I thought some more news of The Far Side had come out. I should have known.
DTP02
AG
My favorite Far Side ever was "If Dogs Could Talk."
MW03
AG
aTmAg said:

hph6203 said:

aTmAg said:

hph6203 said:

aTmAg said:

Sex Panther said:

I don't think C&H really went that deep. It was a kid behaving like a little kid while saying things that adults would say. That was most of it's shtick. People seem to be reading a lot more into it than is there.

MW03
AG
also, this

Quad Dog
AG
I'll add that comment to my list.
FL_Ag1998
AG
Bingo MW03. Maybe aTm just dismissed C&H too quickly and didn't read enough of it.
Emotional Support Cobra
AG
DTP02 said:

My favorite Far Side ever was "If Dogs Could Talk."

We constantly say our our dogs are hearing, "Blah, blah, Ginger, blah blah."
Tobias Funke
AG
Hey atmag, STFU for once
YouBet
AG
I enjoyed C&H but not as much as Far Side. One was pure humor and one was not. Aren't really comparable.

Diggity
AG
Jim01
AG
The two best for sure.

Calvin & Hobbes also gets bonus points for sticking the landing. The last strip always brings some mist to the eyes.

MW03
AG
Jim01 said:

The two best for sure.

Calvin & Hobbes also gets bonus points for sticking the landing. The last strip always brings some mist to the eyes.

As much as I want more C&H, it's a blessing that Watterson won't let anyone license it. It is a perfect example of a complete work.
watty
AG
My favorite thing about Far Side is that the humor is incredibly dark and violent but he gets away with it because of the silliness and the absurdity. Like he manages to joke about murder and torture and all sorts of evil and most people, I think, don't even notice it. I love that.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.