***Ghostbusters:Afterlife***

41,888 Views | 362 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by oragator
Bogdonovich
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Wasn't going to watch it until I saw this thread.

One Louder
AG
Something that annoyed me is how they kept referencing "Revelations". It's "Revelation" (no "s" on the end). It's as bad as people who say "Krogers"....
OnlyForNow
AG
They also misquote the chapter and verse, but they said that Dan Akroyd messed it up originally, Reitman kept it in, and now it's sort of a running "joke" within the movie.
OnlyForNow
AG
I took my 3.5 and 7 year old to go see it last week, after watching the original at home.

They got through the original without any issue, so I figured this would be fine for them.

We all loved it. It's got great amounts of nostalgia with new thrown in. Paul Rudd did a good job with his role, glad to see a possessed keymaster not be a total dolt - working to disable the proton pack.

I got pretty emotional when Egon and the rest of the OGs showed up. Why? I dunno, I loved the movie as a kid (and still do), the cartoon, the toys and I latched onto Ghostbusters for some reason - but it got me in the feels.

The mid credit scene and the end credit scene were great. Also, Ernie Hudson doesn't age.
YellowPot_97
AG
Finally saw it today and with my 7 year old. We loved it! What a freakin fun movie!!
Corporal Punishment
AG
Saw it with my son and thought it really held up. Thought they honored the first one very well with the music and special effects.

A few minor complaints / spoilers. Annie Potts character confused me. Seemed like she was playing a different character…both by the way she acted and her NY accent wasn't nearly as strong. Also thought Trevor's love interest owned the majority of the cringeworthy moments. Hopefully she gets killed off in the next one.

All in all I'd give it a solid B.
maca1028
Watched with my 13yo today. We really enjoyed it.
it got really dusty when when Harold showed up, such an awesome tribute
Average Joe
AG
Watched this last night and really enjoyed it. Would love for them to make another with the same cast.

Side note: Paul Rudd continues to be one of the best actors in Hollywood. Doesn't matter how big or small the part is, he nails it every time.
kyledr04
AG
Watched it again tonight on Amazon. Love it. I missed the extra scene at the very end of the credits when I saw it at theater.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Watched it tonight on Amazon. Loved it from start to finish.
AggieKatie2
AG
Just finished it. THAT is how you make a Ghostbusters follow-up! It wasn't perfect, but so much more true to Ghostbusters than that other crap attempt.

Also McKenna Grace (Phoebe) gave a damn near perfect performance.
MW03
AG
Avoided spoilers and reviews like the plague, and finally just got to sit down and watch it with my son. That was the sequel I always wanted. The story was good enough, the kid actors were all strong. Rudd had some funny lines that broke tension and reminded you that this ridiculous premise is fine because it's a comedy. The music, the sounds, all of it was note perfect for me in terms of reminding me as well that this was a proper sequel. Then the ending. Got me right in the guts.

That was an incredibly fun watch, and I can't wait to plop down for a proper trilogy movie marathon. I'm so glad they made this.
oragator
Not the first time, but guess I was somewhat in the minority.
First, it's another "look how smart the kid is, smarter than the parents!" movie. Not sure why Hollywood keeps thinking that's what people want, but it keeps happening. It's just lazy at this point.
But my bigger issue with it was that it lacked the humor of the first one. They call it a comedy, and I guess superficially it was, but doesn't even remotely compare to the original in that regard. How many laugh out loud moments were there? The original had so many classic lines, is there even one in this one you will remember? It also lacked the purposeful zaniness of the original, other than where they copied it (and the copying was fine, that's what people wanted).
That said I didn't hate it, lots of great callbacks and clearly lovingly made - really liked the last 20 minutes or so. Just thought it could have been more.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.