*** STAR WARS: THE RISE OF SKYWALKER ***

748,935 Views | 6770 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by SpreadsheetAg
The Collective
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

And there it is. The stars have it.

TCTTS
AG
Alright, so I guess that settles it. The right-hand theory, Muck's tidbits, etc... it's all un-redacted now. Because, ultimately, they're just theories.

However, plot points from major outlets (Making Star Wars, Collider, Variety, etc.) and discussion based on unofficial set pics go behind spoiler tags. Anything else I'm not thinking of in this regard?

EDIT TO ADD: Anything from the Reddit "Leaks" stuff should be spoiler tagged as well.
Ag Since 83
AG
I like the theorizing discussion, but I know inevitably from VII that some of it is based on what someone online actually knows for sure, so it's not really just a theory. But what are you going to do?

Just nobody do anything like posting that Maul's in Solo but insist "cameos aren't spoilers"...because that was bull****
TCTTS
AG
Good point. By sheer probability, some of this is going to turn out to be true. But that's what message boards are for. Just don't post the big stuff and we're good (which has been my position all along).
bobinator
AG
That's kind of the missing link on my theory that I didn't know if there was an answer for, but it would seem to make the emperor more critical to the Skywalker saga if it was him and not Plagueis.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Maybe we'll finally get to see that base on Dantooine?
4stringAg
AG
bobinator said:

That's kind of the missing link on my theory that I didn't know if there was an answer for, but it would seem to make the emperor more critical to the Skywalker saga if it was him and not Plagueis.
Would be interesting if Anakin was the product of Plagueis showing Palpatine how to manipulate the midichlorians to create life, the after knowing the secret, Palps kills Plagueis because he had no more use for him.
Dr. Teeth
AG
In Rebels, Ezra travels through a portal in the Lothal Jedi Temple and finds himself in a "world between worlds". There, he heard the voices of people from every point in Star Wars lore, from Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan to Luke, Leia, and Vader, to Rey and Kylo Ren. There were different portals to different places and times, and he even reaches through one to save Ahsoka Tano from certain death at the hands of Vader, which means that.... time travel is possible. In current canon.

So, what if Rey finds a portal, goes back in time to Tatooine, jumps on the back of a TIE Fighter, and assumes the identity of Shmi Skywalker, making her Anakin's mother, the clone of her own grandson's chopped off hand, and Kylo Ren's great-grandmother?

Dro07
AG
Predestination...
lunchbox
Dr. Teeth said:

In Rebels, Ezra travels through a portal in the Lothal Jedi Temple and finds himself in a "world between worlds". There, he heard the voices of people from every point in Star Wars lore, from Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan to Luke, Leia, and Vader, to Rey and Kylo Ren. There were different portals to different places and times, and he even reaches through one to save Ahsoka Tano from certain death at the hands of Vader, which means that.... time travel is possible. In current canon.

So, what if Rey finds a portal, goes back in time to Tatooine, jumps on the back of a TIE Fighter, and assumes the identity of Shmi Skywalker, making her Anakin's mother, the clone of her own grandson's chopped off hand, and Kylo Ren's great-grandmother?

A flat circle, time is.

-Yoda
TCTTS
AG
When I was looking up "Shmi" earlier today to make sure I was spelling her name correctly, I came across this basic theory - that Rey is Shmi via time travel. It's a fairly popular theory, apparently. But someone pointed out a pretty glaring inconsistency - if they ARE the same person, why would Shmi have a Swedish accent and Rey have an English one? Granted, the characters do look very similar, and in a crazy way it would be kind of fun if Rey is named "Skywalker" by a primitive tribe, then goes back in time, and that's how the "Skywalker" name comes to be, but I just can't see them actually going through with that. Besides, why wouldn't Shmi/Rey have said something about that in Episode I? Why would she deliberately mislead Qui-Gon, and do so in a Swedish accent?
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
well i haven't been on since this morning so am I supposed to use the spoiler tags or not from what I said before?
Belton Ag
AG
TCTTS said:

When I was looking up "Shmi" to make sure I was spelling her name correctly, I came across this basic theory - that Rey is Shmi via time travel. It's a fairly popular theory, apparently. But someone pointed out a pretty glaring inconsistency - if they were same person, why would Shmi have a Swedish accent and Rey have an English one? Granted, the characters do look very similar, and in a crazy way it would be kind of fun if Rey is named "Skywalker" by a primitive tribe, goes back in time, and that's how the "Skywalker" name comes to be, but I just can't see them actually going through with that. Besides, why wouldn't Shmi/Rey have said something about that in Episode I?
What if she's concealing her identity... hence the Swedish accent?
TCTTS
AG
Ha, I guess? But why go through with the whole charade in the first place? Knowing she's going to give birth to Darth Vader, whom she knows will go on to bring so much misery to the galaxy?
The Collective
AG
My brain hurts now.
TCTTS
AG
Don't get me wrong... I actually kind of LOVE the idea of a primitive tribe in Episode IX giving Rey the name "Skywalker," Rey then going back in time, and THAT'S where the name Skywalker comes from. There's something super cool and trippy about that. Also, it would definitely explain why there's (apparently) no more Rey after Episode IX and why we're on to a new set of characters instead.

That said, I just don't see the point. Even if Rey went even further back in time and was, say, Shmi's grandmother or something, Rey would still be going back in time with the knowledge that her eventual offspring is Darth Vader.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
im pretty sure the 40-year old base IS the second death star. The Empire wasn't exactly broadcasting hey everyone we are building another death star! come see it! Lando would be one of the only people still alive who could fly a ship there, and maybe it has some sort of protection around it to keep scavengers out.

the second tidbit my personal beliefis that rey adopts the skywalker name at the end of the movie after doing something worth that mantle.
Belton Ag
AG
Timetravel Rey make midichlorians seem like a sound plot device.
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, I guess that makes sense, re: the second Death Star. Not as fun, but it makes sense. But they still need to find the Death Star for a reason. It still has something they need, or else they wouldn't in search of it. As I mentioned earlier, in The Art of The Force Awakens book, the sunken Death Star was originally meant to be a plot device in TFA. Rey & co go there because it has the map to Luke Skywalker. But since Abrams has already done the whole map-to-Luke thing, maybe Abrams & Terrio came up with a different map that needs to be retrieved this go around. This one to a secret base.
Belton Ag
AG
Is the second Death Star 40 years old? Wait, are we supposed to be doing spoiler tags or not? It looks like Spilner's wet dream up in here now.
PatAg
AG
See you guys after the movie comes out then. Too many of these threads involve some jackass who has an actual spoiler pretending it's just a theory.
TCTTS
AG
I'm not spoiler tagging any of this. It's all pure speculation. All we know - via Muck - is that the heroes are after coordinates to a 40-year-old secret base. We don't know if that secret base is the second Death Star - as shown in the trailer - or something else. Again, it's all speculation, and since the second Death Star is in the trailer, I see no point in using spoiler tags.
3rdGen2015
AG
Second Death Star was destroyed in 4 ABY, the events of TLJ took place in 34 ABY
TCTTS
AG
As for the second Death Star being 40 years old, I guess that doesn't actually add up. TFA is only 30 years after ROTJ, and ROTJ obviously isn't 10 years after ANH. But we also don't know if the "40 years" number is accurate or not. For all we know, it was a mistype and it was meant to be "30." This is all so second hand and basically a game of telephone.
TCTTS
AG
PatAg said:

See you guys after the movie comes out then. Too many of these threads involve some jackass who has an actual spoiler pretending it's just a theory.

I hear you, but if it's any consolation, I don't think anyone knows anything yet. Not just here, but not even on Reddit or the like either. I'd say we're still a few months away from legit spoilers leaking.
Belton Ag
AG
As far as Lando flying a ship there, everyone knows about the Battle of Endor and that's where the Emperor was killed, so it's not as if he's the only one that knows how to get there.
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, good point. Seems like everyone and their dog would know where the fallen second Death Star is.
Rex Racer
AG
TCTTS said:

When I was looking up "Shmi" earlier today to make sure I was spelling her name correctly, I came across this basic theory - that Rey is Shmi via time travel. It's a fairly popular theory, apparently. But someone pointed out a pretty glaring inconsistency - if they ARE the same person, why would Shmi have a Swedish accent and Rey have an English one? Granted, the characters do look very similar, and in a crazy way it would be kind of fun if Rey is named "Skywalker" by a primitive tribe, then goes back in time, and that's how the "Skywalker" name comes to be, but I just can't see them actually going through with that. Besides, why wouldn't Shmi/Rey have said something about that in Episode I? Why would she deliberately mislead Qui-Gon, and do so in a Swedish accent?
Not mention, why would she allow herself to be taken prisoner by Sand People?
TCTTS
AG
Agreed. IF this theory holds any water whatsoever, Rey would HAVE to go back in time to long before Shmi existed. At the very latest, Rey could be Shmi's mother, but it would likely be even further back than that.
MJ20/20
AG
Why would Rey / Shmi a skilled warrior and force user succumb to slavery and subject her only son to it as well?
TCTTS
AG
I'm trying to think of a scenario where there's some kind of time portal, like Dr. Teeth was talking about in Rebels, and Rey somehow SAVES everyone by going through it. She sacrifices herself. But all we know is that the portal goes way back time. We don't know to when, exactly, and we don't follow her through. We just know that she has been given the name "Skywalker" by a primitive tribe and by her going back in time, that's where the name comes from. It would have to be super vague, but I'm more and more into this basic idea, if they could somehow execute it properly and mysteriously enough.
TCTTS
AG
I agree. I don't mean to sound like a d*ck, but catch up to the discussion before posting. We literally just questioned and addressed this.
bobinator
AG
This is where I go to the Occam's Razor on theories, I know it's possible in canon, but we haven't seen it in the movies so I doubt we're going to suddenly bring in time travel in the very last installment.
TCTTS
AG
True. For the record, I don't believe for one second that they're really going to attempt this. But it's fun to speculate.
bobinator
AG
TCTTS said:

As for the second Death Star being 40 years old, I guess that doesn't actually add up. TFA is only 30 years after ROTJ, and ROTJ obviously isn't 10 years after ANH. But we also don't know if the "40 years" number is accurate or not. For all we know, it was a mistype and it was meant to be "30." This is all so second hand and basically a game of telephone.
This could add up. We don't know how far it is after The Last Jedi where we pick things up here.

The dates here are fuzzy enough that it's possible.

But back to Lando, I would think Leia (which it's easy to forget is still alive) would know even more than he does.
First Page Last Page
Page 59 of 194

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.