*** STAR WARS: THE RISE OF SKYWALKER ***

749,059 Views | 6770 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by SpreadsheetAg
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
True. But I seriously doubt TROS is more than a year or so after TLJ. It'd have to be like five years after for the numbers to start making sense, unless Palpatine was building the second Death Star as a backup at the same time he was building the first, AND we were counting from the beginning of construction.
Belton Ag
AG
TCTTS said:

True. But I seriously doubt TROS is more than a year or so after TLJ. It'd have to be like five years after for the numbers to start making sense, unless Palpatine was building the second Death Star as a backup at the same time he was building a first, AND we were counting from the beginning of construction.
**** like that can be held up for years getting permits, etc.
bobinator
AG
We've had some fairly big time jumps before. And there definitely wasn't anything about to happen at the end of TLJ that requires the next movie to be anchored at a certain point in time. I think it could easily be a 5 year gap.
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
Dro07
AG
Quote:

Kathleen Kennedy Says The Addition Of Palpatine To Episode IX Has Been In The Works For Some Time

ya since December 15, 2017 when Rian killed off the biggest threat the universe had seen since the emperor
bobinator
AG
I have a pretty hard time imagining a scenario where he's actually in the movie (not a flashback or whatever) and it making any sense.
Urban Ag
AG
TCTTS said:

Don't get me wrong... I actually kind of LOVE the idea of a primitive tribe in Episode IX giving Rey the name "Skywalker," Rey then going back in time, and THAT'S where the name Skywalker comes from. There's something super cool and trippy about that. Also, it would definitely explain why there's (apparently) no more Rey after Episode IX and why we're on to a new set of characters instead.

That said, I just don't see the point. Even if Rey went even further back in time and was, say, Shmi's grandmother or something, Rey would still be going back in time with the knowledge that her eventual offspring is Darth Vader.
What if that was the purpose though? Ep IV end with Rey traveling back in time with knowledge that Anakin becomes Vader, but she ensures that doesn't happen. She ensures that Anakin doesn't end up an indentured servant on Tatooine around the time a couple of Jedi come calling. And the Jedi are not overthrown. And Paplatine's rise to power is thwarted. And the Empire never exists. And everything is right in the Galaxy.

Yeah, that would be f'ing stupid. I'll take midi whatevers (dumb) or Rey cloned from Palps (dumber) or even Rey cloned from Luke's severed hand (just shoot me) over that.
TCTTS
AG
Ha, yeah. I see where you're coming from, but it couldn't be to change time. The whole thing would be that's where the Skywalker name came from, otherwise where did it come from the frist go around? Then we're just back into dumb luck coincidence territory. The "fun" of it would be the circular, time-is-a-flat circle nature of it all.
TCTTS
AG
bobinator said:

I have a pretty hard time imagining a scenario where he's actually in the movie (not a flashback or whatever) and it making any sense.

Why, though? Why is everyone so cool with Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, Yoda, and Luke being able to come back from the dead via Force ghost, but with Palapatine it's suddenly inconceivable? I know it's been mentioned/thought of as strictly a Jedi "trick" in the past, but if any Sith could figure it out/"cheat the system," it'd be Palpatine. I just don't get the, "Ugh. This is ridiculous" sentiment I keep seeing on Twitter and the like from a select few. It's no more ridiculous or contrived than Obi-Wan coming back or Yoda coming back in TLJ.

If anything, "evil" coming back from the dead is more of a pop culture staple and makes more sense than heavenly Force ghosts.
bobinator
AG
If he appears as a ghost that's potentially fine. He wouldn't actually be alive in the present, which is all I'm concerned about, I worded that poorly when I said "in the movie."

I do like the idea that Kylo Ren is trying to reach him.
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, I can't imagine he's actually back in physical form. Surely not.
bobinator
AG
I actually did have a bit of an issue with Yoda in TLJ though, we saw him, a ghost, affect the physical world, which wasn't something I particularly cared for. It kind of opens up the possibility that Palpatine could do more than just talk to the current characters.
TCTTS
AG
I hear you, but I didn't really have a problem with it. Just having even an audible voice "affects the physical world." I actually think it's kind of cool and fun that they can do things like Yoda did with the lightning.
Flashdiaz
AG
A Haunted DeathStar could be cool.

and maybe the name Skywalker is what the people will call force users from now on. Not a Jedi or a Sith, simply a Skywalker.

anyways, i'm slightly disappointed Rey just put Luke's old saber back together instead of creating something new.
Agsrback12
I think JJ is going to need a pass or two. He is trying to fix quite a mess.
Rex Racer
AG
I don't see why he couldn't be back in physical form. Clones are a huge part of this universe, and I could see Palpatine being able to at least control the mind of a clone of himself, if not somehow join his spirit with it.
TCTTS
AG
I would say even that's fine. As long as it's still his spirit doing the controlling or whatever. I think what some people might be worried about is the actual, original body of Palpatine - the one that fell down a massive shaft and exploded - coming back or still somehow being alive.
bobinator
AG
They didn't really have a voice before though did they? We don't see any ghosts talking to multiple people.

I had always assumed that this was basically a mental connection between the living Jedi and one who had passed on. Obviously they have a voice for storytelling purposes, but I always assumed that voice was in the characters' heads.

Dead Jedi being able to manipulate the physical world wasn't so bad in just that scene with Yoda, but now that it's on the table there's no reason why we can't have some kind of epic final battle featuring all kinds of Jedi ghosts.
TCTTS
AG
In fact, the idea of Palpatine having created clone bodies of himself that his sprit can hop to and from and inhabit would actually be kind of cool.
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, that's a good point. Didn't think about it that way.
Dro07
AG
Isn't that a legend story line?
bobinator
AG
It would be a way for him to have acquired a power that even his master didn't have. The ability to save himself from death.
jabberwalkie09
AG
dromo07 said:

Quote:

Kathleen Kennedy Says The Addition Of Palpatine To Episode IX Has Been In The Works For Some Time

ya since December 15, 2017 when Rian killed off the biggest threat the universe had seen since the emperor

?itemid=4232665
TCTTS
AG
Question...

Regardless of how Palpatine is reintroduced, will the explanation of his reintroduction be at all used to also explain who/what Snoke was? Not in that Snoke was a clone or anything, I'm just asking if you guys think they'll make any effort - even if just a line or two - to explain the context of Snoke's existence; who he was, where he cam from, etc. once Palpatine is back in the picture.
Render
AG
dromo07 said:

Isn't that a legend story line?
Yep. It was the main plot of Dark Empire.

Render
AG
TCTTS said:

Question...

Regardless of how Palpatine is reintroduced, will the explanation of his reintroduction be at all used to also explain who/what Snoke was? Not in that Snoke was a clone or anything, I'm just asking if you guys think they'll make any effort - even if just a line or two - to explain the context of Snoke's existence; who he was, where he cam from, etc. once Palpatine is back in the picture.
I think they have to. It would stick out like a sore thumb if they didn't. I've never heard of a movie that introduced then killed a villain without giving some sort of character context. Maybe indie stories do that, but not mainstream entertainment like SW.
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, I'm definitely hoping they do.
Urban Ag
AG
TCTTS said:

In fact, the idea of Palpatine having created clone bodies of himself that his sprit can hop to and from and inhabit would actually be kind of cool.
Rey Skywalker and the Deathly Hallows
TCTTS
AG
Oh, gosh, is that a Harry Potter plot line? I barely remember those movies.
TCTTS
AG

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/star-wars-rise-skywalker-why-death-star-is-trailer-1201883
Beat40
My only contribution, have thought this for quite some time, Skywalker is a freakin badass name.
TCTTS
AG
Re: The Hollywood Reporter article, what do we think? Are the first two pics and the second two pics the same moon/planet? And if so, is this Endor?

Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Beat40 said:

My only contribution, have thought this for quite some time, Skywalker is a freakin badass name.
was originally Starkiller - thank God Lucas changed it.

TCTTS
AG
(Bonus question... if it IS Endor, does this mean Ewoks???)
First Page Last Page
Page 60 of 194

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.