*** STAR WARS: THE RISE OF SKYWALKER ***

747,140 Views | 6770 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by SpreadsheetAg
Dekker_Lentz
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Put me in the camp unexcited about Thrawn being in Episode IX. I loved EU Thrawn, I liked Rebel's Thrawn, but I just don't see how Thrawn works in Episode IX.

Puppet master pulling strings behind the scenes?
Villain for this movie?
Fan service?

I am getting more worried that Episode IX is going to have too much fan service. I really only want IX to focus only on Rey/Ren and the resolution of their story. They are the only interesting characters left.
bobinator
AG
Or it could focus exclusively on Maz Kanata, who may or may not be at all important to this story.
TCTTS
AG
Flashdiaz
AG
I see the equipment likes to pretend VIII didn't happen either.
Gigem314
AG
bobinator said:

Or it could focus exclusively on Maz Kanata, who may or may not be at all important to this story.
Will we get another skype of her mid-battle against some group that nobody cares about?
AliasMan02
AG
Flashdiaz said:

I see the equipment likes to pretend VIII didn't happen either.

Ha. JJ uses different cameras than Rian.
The Collective
AG
Gigem314 said:

bobinator said:

Will we get another skype of her mid-battle against some group that nobody cares about?

As long as we get Hux calling Poe to complain about Ren, and Poe says, "sorry about yo bad luck, bro"; I'll be happy.
jokershady
AG
CJS4715 said:

Gigem314 said:

bobinator said:

As long as we get Hux calling Poe to complain about Ren, and Poe says, "sorry about yo bad luck, bro"; I'll be happy.
That or if Poe calls him General Hugs again
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
LANDO!!!!!

That's all I really cared about.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TCTTS said:

Is that Finn? Can anyone tell?
Flashdiaz
AG
looks like Finn in the Falcon
The Collective
AG
It's either Finn or Norris Cole.

Pepper Brooks
AG
Random thought... what are the odds that Rey is simply a manifestation of the force? Similar to how Anakin was.
The Collective
AG
So, back to the chosen one idea? It's all circular or some **** .
bobinator
AG
BoilerAg10 said:

Random thought... what are the odds that Rey is simply a manifestation of the force? Similar to how Anakin was.
I'd say roughly a billion to one.
amercer
AG
bobinator said:

BoilerAg10 said:

Never tell me the odds?
jokershady
AG
bobinator said:

BoilerAg10 said:

Seeing how it was hinted in Ep 3 when Palpatine told the story of Darth Plagus being able to manipulate the mediclorians to create life.....actually was about to say there's no way but as a write this and think about it not sure......

Darth Plagus I'm assuming died long before the birth of Anikan....so did Palps learn this power from Plagus and use the force to create Anikan?

Of course everyone suspected Snoke was in fact Plagus, which means he wasn't dead when Anikan was born, which also means the same thing could have happened to Rey.

Maybe when a Sith user manipulates the force to create life for purposes of evil, there's an equal and opposite reaction that creates life for good....kind like in the Matrix Neo and Smith were manipulations of a complicated equation trying to balance, constantly making each of them more powerful.
TCTTS
AG
You're breaking my brain!

On one hand, I hate that this would essentially undo the "nobody" theme established in TLJ and discussed the past few of pages. But on the other hand, this would REALLY quench my need for the sheer plot mechanics of the story to work out make sense. This wouldn't make Snoke seem as random, it wouldn't make Rey's existence/powers seem as random, and would elegantly tie into the prequels in a cool way.

I need to mull on this. What does everyone else think?

Either way, kudos on the theory.
The Collective
AG
Snoke isn't dead. He is being kept alive by his hate for Kylo Ren.
jokershady
AG
TCTTS said:

You're breaking my brain!

On one hand, I hate that this would essentially undo the "nobody" theme established in TLJ and discussed the past few of pages. But on the other hand, this would REALLY quench my need for the sheer plot mechanics of the story to work out make sense. This wouldn't make Snoke seems as random, it wouldn't make Rey's existence/powers seem as random, and would elegantly tie into the prequels in a cool way.

I need to mull on this. What does everyone else think?

Either way, kudos on the theory.
See I like the idea on how this could tie everything together especially the prequels.

And on top of that, from the "point of view" of Kylo, he wouldn't have been lying. Her parents could just as well been nobodies. There's no way he could have known she was a manipulation of the force.
TCTTS
AG
True. I'm coming around on this. Though, she would still be "chosen" essentially, which bugs me a little.
Flashdiaz
AG
CJS4715 said:

Snoke isn't dead. He is being kept alive by his hate for Kylo Ren.
come on man, he was cut in half and fell 2 ft to the floor.

oh, wait

bobinator
AG
I just assumed there's basically a zero percent chance that Abrams is going to bring up midichlorians or prophecies or anything even remotely similar.

It's certainly possible from a plot standpoint, but I meant more of a "would they actually do it" standpoint.

The other thing is that if Rey was born of the force, who's even alive that would know about it to be able to tell her (or the audience.)

It's a bit like something I'm interested in about Game of Thrones where (spoiler alert I guess...) only two people know who Jon Snow really is, and I wonder if they're going to tell even him...

jokershady
AG
I hear ya. Personally I've always been in the camp of "hope she's somebody" so this wouldn't bother me as much.

This theory could/would also explain the force vision she had in TFA.

Last, to comment on the post above. I feel they could do this without actually mentioning the mediclorians.

It's assumed If youre seeing IX, that you already heard about them...so giving them a call back, but only mentioning it as The Force instead of the mediclorians would do fine.

IN ADDITION, this phenomenon could be explained as this: The Force is always trying to stay balanced.

Look at how TPM started.....many Jedi exist and Sith were assumed destroyed (light side favored). Until low and behold they exist and are more powerful than the Jedi ever imagined, gaining control of the Senate and turning of the strongest Jedi over to the dark side who was potentially a manipulation of a dark side wielder (dark side heavily favored).

Enter Luke....son of a former great Jedi and becomes very powerful, defeating Vader and in turn Vader turning on the emperor (light side favored).

Prior to TFA, Luke now training more Jedi (light side heavily favored).

Enter Snoke, turns Ben and additional Jedi to the dark side (assumed we haven't really seen it just mentioned by Luke) and rise of the The First Order has begun.

Assuming Snoke came into the picture long before Ben was actually turned, what if through the way the Force trying to maintain balance, used the force to create life once again with Rey, when a deceased dark side user came back.

I think this theory could be a lot of fun if done right. It goes back to what a lot of people on this board have mentioned...for there to be true balance, a force wielder needs to be both light and dark. Which Rey has shown signs of.

And until that happens, there will always be a war and the galaxy will also be in a state of good vs evil.
The Collective
AG
You let force ghost Kenobi tell her.
TCTTS
AG
The Force honestly kind of sounds like a little b*tch. Why the "need" for the dark as well? Why a balance? Why not all good?

Seriously, though, did Yoda or someone ever explain this? I've always wondered.
Malachi Constant
AG
I love this discussion, and it's actually a really cool idea to tie everything together.

The problem is that it would mean that the story group actually had a plan. Which they didn't.

If this happens, I would be more surprised that there was a plan than the plan itself.
Flashdiaz
AG
In the Last Jedi, Luke explains it well in that everything, including the force, is balanced. A major fault of the Jedi order was that they thought the force was theirs. While they manipulated the force for good, they still manipulated the force. Yoda touched on this in the OT to let the force flow, let things happen (friends dying) if it's the will of the force.
If there is an imbalance of the force, the force will correct it. This theory that Rey was created out of nothing still holds validity.
conversely, why would the force have to create the 'chosen' one twice in a century?
TCTTS
AG
I get that the Jedi got all holier-than-thou, essentially. I've just never understood why the Force demands that darkness be part of the equation. The Force wanting to course correct itself from misguided Jedi makes sense. But why does that then have to involve course correcting into the dark?
Ag Since 83
AG
To understand that you have to understand Mortis.

And trust me, you don't want to understand Mortis.
bobinator
AG
The concept of "balance" in the force is already a little shaky because it basically means that things can't get too good or else it has to make them just okay again.

Like the force is guiding the galaxy to the medium place (for those The Good Place watchers.)
The Collective
AG
Is that not the point of Rey's first lesson. Growth and decay. Life and death. Yada yada yada.
TCTTS
AG
Yes, but decay and death are natural. They're not "bad." The dark side is clearly bad.
bobinator
AG
Flashdiaz said:

conversely, why would the force have to create the 'chosen' one twice in a century?
And on a practical level, why pick a human again? That plan definitely did not work last time.
bobinator
AG
I'm in agreement with TCTTS and have said in a few of these threads that I also think that Rey's parents being an unsolved mystery is a crucial part of this trilogy.

I could even see a situation where this movie casts doubt on whether what Kylo told her is correct or not, but doesn't actually spell out the truth. The idea kind of being that her parents could have been someone, or could have been noone, or even possibly literally she was born of the force, but it doesn't matter.

All that matters is who she is now.
First Page Last Page
Page 5 of 194

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.