*** STAR WARS: THE RISE OF SKYWALKER ***

748,916 Views | 6770 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by SpreadsheetAg
jackie childs
How long do you want to ignore this user?
TCTTS said:

jackie childs said:

TCTTS said:

Exactly. The "nobody" message is literally the entire theme of TLJ. It's why the movie ends on broom boy. They're NOT going to reverse that.
kennedy has said before that the episodes (meaning the three trilogies) are the story of the skywalker family. if that's true and if we're to have a "happy ending", then i gotta think that either: (a) rey is ultimately a skywalker, or (b) kylo gets redeemed in some fashion.

though i suppose disney could go the other way and make the legacy of they skywalkers that they were kinda a-holes

But why does Rey being a Skywalker = a "happy ending"? I've never understood this.

Again, the direction that Abrams and Johnson have decided to take this trilogy thematically is to say that your bloodline, where/how you're born, etc. doesn't matter. ANYONE can be great. The whole point is to say that you don't have to be a Skywalker to bring balance to the Force or save the universe. And as much as I've disliked TFA and TLJ narratively, I agree with that sentiment thematically. That IS the happy ending. That a nobody from Jakku or stable boy from Canto Bight can bring balance or save the universe. Why do so many people not find that satisfactory/happy? Rey being a Skywalker is not only incredibly boring to me, it would just reinforce all that tired, "chosen one"/birthright/bloodline/midichlorian bullsh*t.
i just want to say that i'm not advocating for how i think the movies should end or anything like that. i'm simply taking a quote that kennedy has said (admittedly, a quote that she could have totally backed down from for all i know) and pointing to it for i think we're likely going to get one of those two "tired" scenarios that i mentioned.

also, to clarify, when i say "happy ending", i'm just referring to the skywalker story, not star wars as a whole.

if neither of those scenarios happens, then what's the lasting legacy of the skywalker family? that the star wars universe would have probably been better off if the skywalkers had never existed?

and i completely get the "anyone can be great" theme. it's a pretty common theme in fantasy stories and it doesn't surprise me that they'd introduce it into star wars. and assuming they otherwise address or conclude the skywalker story, i wouldn't find that unsatisfactory at all.
Flashdiaz
AG
jackie childs said:

TCTTS said:

jackie childs said:

TCTTS said:

Exactly. The "nobody" message is literally the entire theme of TLJ. It's why the movie ends on broom boy. They're NOT going to reverse that.
kennedy has said before that the episodes (meaning the three trilogies) are the story of the skywalker family. if that's true and if we're to have a "happy ending", then i gotta think that either: (a) rey is ultimately a skywalker, or (b) kylo gets redeemed in some fashion.

though i suppose disney could go the other way and make the legacy of they skywalkers that they were kinda a-holes

But why does Rey being a Skywalker = a "happy ending"? I've never understood this.

Again, the direction that Abrams and Johnson have decided to take this trilogy thematically is to say that your bloodline, where/how you're born, etc. doesn't matter. ANYONE can be great. The whole point is to say that you don't have to be a Skywalker to bring balance to the Force or save the universe. And as much as I've disliked TFA and TLJ narratively, I agree with that sentiment thematically. That IS the happy ending. That a nobody from Jakku or stable boy from Canto Bight can bring balance or save the universe. Why do so many people not find that satisfactory/happy? Rey being a Skywalker is not only incredibly boring to me, it would just reinforce all that tired, "chosen one"/birthright/bloodline/midichlorian bullsh*t.
i just want to say that i'm not advocating for how i think the movies should end or anything like that. i'm simply taking a quote that kennedy has said (admittedly, a quote that she could have totally backed down from for all i know) and pointing to it for i think we're likely going to get one of those two "tired" scenarios that i mentioned.

also, to clarify, when i say "happy ending", i'm just referring to the skywalker story, not star wars as a whole.

if neither of those scenarios happens, then what's the lasting legacy of the skywalker family? that the star wars universe would have probably been better off if the skywalkers had never existed?

and i completely get the "anyone can be great" theme. it's a pretty common theme in fantasy stories and it doesn't surprise me that they'd introduce it into star wars. and assuming they otherwise address or conclude the skywalker story, i wouldn't find that unsatisfactory at all.

Skywalkers got rid of Emperor Palpatine and Snoke.
jackie childs
Flashdiaz said:

but didn't they also help those two rise to power to begin with?
Flashdiaz
AG
jackie childs said:

Flashdiaz said:

but didn't they also help those two rise to power to begin with?
not really. Palps effectively wiped out the Jedi with Order 66 while Anakin was still a Jedi. Sure Anakin then helped clean up by killing children but that could have been taken care of by someone else.

Snoke, we don't know because he died too young like a candle in the wind. What we do know is Kylo was still in training in TLJ and helping out, but not indispensable. He lost in a lightsaber fight to "a girl that had never held a lightsaber". Snoke would have been fine either way, not much opposition in the way of the force.
Dro07
AG
Kylo is a Solo not a Skywalker
jackie childs
dromo07 said:

good point...and we know Han was a "nobody", so Kylo checks both boxes?
Ag Since 83
AG
That actually looks like a pretty cool Star Wars planet.

Also is the galaxy far, far away Elysium from Gladiator?
The Collective
AG
dromo07 said:

Good point. I hope in episode IX, we see Kylo visit an Empire veterans parade and get mocked by an old man claiming to have given him his surname.
Dro07
AG
Thats just another Kylo SNL skit waiting to happen
bobinator
AG
Actually that's Origae-6 and we learn that Star Wars was an Alien prequel all along.
Claude!
Quote:

Snoke, we don't know because he died too young like a candle in the wind.
The tribute song that Figrin D'an and the Modal Nodes did for Snoke was just beautiful.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
Realize that the way this is going is that the Skywalkers didn't matter. Rey will be the ultimate savior and everything Episode 1-6 meant nothing. Ie anyone can do it.
TCTTS
AG
Congratulations on a terrible take, especially considering Luke's story obviously isn't over yet, nor is his influence on Rey.
AgMarauder04
AG
Brennus said:

Realize that the way this is going is that the Skywalkers didn't matter. Rey will be the ultimate savior and everything Episode 1-6 meant nothing. Ie anyone can do it.

Luke is the entire reason the resistance survived. Not only that, but he inspires a new crop of heros. His journey in 1-6 absolutely matters.
TCTTS
AG
Bingo.
jackie childs
Brennus said:

the kennedy quote is a big reason why i don't buy this...i think we're likely to get some sort of skywalker "happy ending", whether it be Luke/Leia helping Rey stop Kylo or Kylo being redeemed

but that's also not mutually exclusive to the "anyone can be great" theme.
FL_Ag1998
AG
I've now seen not only all of the movies but the two animated shows, Clone Wars and Rebels. Hell, I've even read a couple of books set in the Star Wars universe. I have no issue with following a SW story that's not about the well known characters from Episodes 1-6. And it's been well established in the tv shows and books that you don't have to be a Skywalker to be "great" in the SW universe. But I do understand the need to establish that point in the movies. And I believe that yes, they had to do that by tying small elements of Episodes 1-6 into these three new Episodes so that the audience could definitively say goodbye to the "Skywalker narrative" and move on to other SW stories.

I just think that Abrams and Johnson did a very amateur job of it. Abrams shouldn't have made TFA basically a copy of ANH. That just strung all the die-hard "Skywalker" fans along that Episodes 7-9 would continue the Skywalker storyline. And Johnson compounded the problem by trying to pull a way too abrupt 180 and moving past "Skywalker" in an extremely clumsy, overly preachy, and sanctimonious way.

Simply put, I'm fine with moving the Star Wars story past the Skywalkers, but the powers in charge just aren't capable of doing it in a graceful way.
TCTTS
AG

Quote:

I just think that Abrams and Johnson did a very amateur job of it. Abrams shouldn't have made TFA basically a copy of ANH. That just strung all the die-hard "Skywalker" fans along that Episodes 7-9 would continue the Skywalker storyline. And Johnson compounded the problem by trying to pull a way too abrupt 180 and moving past "Skywalker" in an extremely clumsy, overly preachy, and sanctimonious way.

Simply put, I'm fine with moving the Star Wars story past the Skywalkers, but the powers in charge just aren't capable of doing it in a graceful way.

Very well said. In 100% agreement. I like the idea they were striving for, just not the execution.
jackie childs
FL_Ag1998 said:

I've now seen not only all of the movies but the two animated shows, Clone Wars and Rebels. Hell, I've even read a couple of books set in the Star Wars universe. I have no issue with following a SW story that's not about the well known characters from Episodes 1-6. And it's been well established in the tv shows and books that you don't have to be a Skywalker to be "great" in the SW universe. But I do understand the need to establish that point in the movies. And I believe that yes, they had to do that by tying small elements of Episodes 1-6 into these three new Episodes so that the audience could definitively say goodbye to the "Skywalker narrative" and move on to other SW stories.

well said
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
I unfortunately don't think you guys realized my sarcasm in that post. The stream of what was happening in the above posts is what I meant ( ie the statements of Anakin didn't Actually kill the jedi order 66 did. and it wasn't a
"skywalker" but a Solo that killed snoke.)
TCTTS
AG
PatAg
AG
I just hope we can act like everything Oscar Isaacs did in TLJ didnt happen, and he can get some actual character development that would make sense when paired with TFA
jackie childs
Sorry dude...sarcasm doesn't translate well in Star Wars threads anymore
AliasMan02
AG
TCTTS said:

That's some serious weaksauce, but I will say this... if JJ decided he was gonna make a fanservice movie, that would be a strong contender. Even if it was just something like Rey seeing glimpses of Jedi through time and one of those was a live action snippet of Ezra opposing Thrawn.

That would actually be kinda fun, actually. Another Force vision. Rey sees Bastila Shan being tortured by Darth Malak, then Luke standing before the Emperor and throwing his lightsaber away, then Obi Wan holding the body of Duchess Satine while Maul stands over him, then Ahsoka and Kanan fighting the Inquisitors, then Yoda encountering the spectre of Darth Bane on Moraband, then Ezra defeating Thrawn on the Chimera, etc. All classic moments involving Jedi from all across the canon.

The Thrawn scenario doesn't totally fit there because the others are all Dark Side related, but... something like that.
Malachi Constant
AG
AliasMan02 said:

TCTTS said:

That's some serious weaksauce, but I will say this... if JJ decided he was gonna make a fanservice movie, that would be a strong contender. Even if it was just something like Rey seeing glimpses of Jedi through time and one of those was a live action snippet of Ezra opposing Thrawn.

That would actually be kinda fun, actually. Another Force vision. Rey sees Bastila Shan being tortured by Darth Malak, then Luke standing before the Emperor and throwing his lightsaber away, then Obi Wan holding the body of Duchess Satine while Maul stands over him, then Ahsoka and Kanan fighting the Inquisitors, then Yoda encountering the spectre of Darth Bane on Moraband, then Ezra defeating Thrawn on the Chimera, etc. All classic moments involving Jedi from all across the canon.

The Thrawn scenario doesn't totally fit there because the others are all Dark Side related, but... something like that.

I've secretly hoped that Rey somehow obtains Bastila's yellow dual saber. Doesn't even have to be stated explicitly. Maybe it was an artifact that Luke came across sometime during his exile, and she goes back to Ach-To and retrieves it.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Quote:

I've secretly hoped that Rey somehow obtains Bastila's yellow dual saber. Doesn't even have to be stated explicitly. Maybe it was an artifact that Luke came across sometime during his exile, and she goes back to Ach-To and retrieves it.
I'm on board with this!
Ulrich
I'm not sure a vision introducing half a dozen characters and scenarios 90% of movie goers have never heard of is a great idea. Either you have to explain all of it (hooray, exposition) or everyone is just going to be confused. People are already tweaked about the apparently meaningless vision in TFA.

Now, throwing an obi-wan scene in as a teaser for his standalone movie and a character that 90% of movie goers already know? That could be brilliant, it's the kind of thing Marvel does.
Al Bula
AG
Spent some time down a rabbit hole on the Star Wars Legends material aka "the realm where the new trilogy writers stole the overarching premise of the son of Han and Leia being the Antichrist" and it is sad that no one in Hollywood could come up with a better plot for this round of movies. It's been a resounding failure so far.

If Thrawn is really in this movie Timothy Zahn sure better be getting paid.

This trilogy is bad fan fiction. Worse than the prequels.
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS said:

WHEAT CONFIRMED FOR EPISODE IX!!!

I didn't think someone would really turn this into an actual news story, but I'm not surprised...

AliasMan02
AG
Ulrich said:

I'm not sure a vision introducing half a dozen characters and scenarios 90% of movie goers have never heard of is a great idea. Either you have to explain all of it (hooray, exposition) or everyone is just going to be confused. People are already tweaked about the apparently meaningless vision in TFA.

Now, throwing an obi-wan scene in as a teaser for his standalone movie and a character that 90% of movie goers already know? That could be brilliant, it's the kind of thing Marvel does.

That was sorta my point. Including something like that would be very cool for the die-hard fans if JJ was interested in reaching out to the malcontents. Not that I think he will, or that he should.

And "people" are not tweaked about the vision in TFA, in any large sense.
Gigem314
AG
TCTTS said:

TCTTS said:

WHEAT CONFIRMED FOR EPISODE IX!!!

Star Wars Episode IX: If You Build It, They Will Come

jabberwalkie09
amercer
AG
The malcontents are mostly old dudes that Disney doesn't care about. TFA and TLJ are fine movies that will age well. They are light years better than the prequels.

TLJ is my ten year old daughters favorite Star Wars movie. Why? Because Rey is her favorite character, and the movie is pretty much her being a badass.

If Disney was smart they'd scrap all the bad stand alone ideas, and make a Luke Skywalker anthology movie where he searches the galaxy for relics and uses the force like a boss.
Al Bula
AG
amercer said:

TLJ is my ten year old daughters favorite Star Wars movie. Why? Because Rey is her favorite character, and the movie is pretty much her being a badass.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion even when it is absolutely wrong. When kids grow up they learn about the more subtle things like plot and story structure.

Hell my kid likes to bang on hard surfaces with inanimate objects because the noises make him laugh. He is less than one year old.

The Last Jedi is terrible in every way except the amount of money it took in that now lines the pockets of movie execs.
The Collective
AG
*Sigh*. Can we fight about TLJ on the big Star Wars thread?
First Page Last Page
Page 4 of 194

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.