*** STAR WARS: THE RISE OF SKYWALKER ***

748,885 Views | 6770 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by SpreadsheetAg
Flashdiaz
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
perhaps the force doesn't create dark users. It simply creates users. Free will comes into play. Some may use if for higher consciousness (or getting brooms). Some may use it for more nefarious reasons. Every now and then, a force user chooses to be so 'dark' that the force must respond to bring balance.
TCTTS
AG
I can buy that.
Flashdiaz
AG
bobinator said:

Flashdiaz said:

conversely, why would the force have to create the 'chosen' one twice in a century?
And on a practical level, why pick a human again? That plan definitely did not work last time.
nonhuman Jedi are weak and can be surprise attacked. The only ones to survive order 66 were all humans and yoda.

They should have kept this one alive...
Belton Ag
AG
As has been stated before, we're just way too far down the "Rey is a nobody" road to credibly go back on it without undercutting the "even a nobody can be a somebody" theme.
bobinator
AG
Couldn't it bring balance by just stopping making force users then?
Flashdiaz
AG
Sure, but then it would just be Star Trek... and Star Trek sucks.
bobinator
AG
I dunno, Q seems to be extremely powerful with the force.
jokershady
AG
Flashdiaz said:

perhaps the force doesn't create dark users. It simply creates users. Free will comes into play. Some may use if for higher consciousness (or getting brooms). Some may use it for more nefarious reasons. Every now and then, a force user chooses to be so 'dark' that the force must respond to bring balance.
ding ding ding!

Took the words right outta my mouth.

Free will.

Even in ANH Tarkin refers to Vader as "the last of that ancient religion." Free will has to be a factor
TCTTS
AG
So... "balance" isn't light AND dark 50/50. Instead, "balance" is simply a course correction.

I think that's where the confusion lied for me.
bobinator
AG
I'm not sure what that has to do with this theory though.
YellowPot_97
AG
TCTTS said:

You're breaking my brain!

On one hand, I hate that this would essentially undo the "nobody" theme established in TLJ and discussed the past few of pages. But on the other hand, this would REALLY quench my need for the sheer plot mechanics of the story to work out make sense. This wouldn't make Snoke seem as random, it wouldn't make Rey's existence/powers seem as random, and would elegantly tie into the prequels in a cool way.

I need to mull on this. What does everyone else think?

Either way, kudos on the theory.

Good theory, but the fact we're even having this conversation shows what a mess Disney made of 7-9 by not having an over arching story. 8 made such a mess of things that a wild theory is the only way to seemingly wrap it all it and bring everything together.
I'm really interested to see what JJ does to bring about a successful conclusion to this trilogy.
TCTTS
AG
Agreed. It's a cluster*****for sure.
Claude!
So basically the Force is a drunk driver who's constantly over correcting.
The Collective
AG
TCTTS said:

Yes, but decay and death are natural. They're not "bad." The dark side is clearly bad.

Desire for self over others is also natural, and that's more what I equate as the dark side of the force. I think good/bad is too simplistic. Isn't the force based on Buddhism? If so, then the dark side is absolutely part of the natural state of things as well.
bobinator
AG
Claude! said:

Yeah maybe this is where I'm missing something...

I'm still confused on what exactly the theory is and how it makes this series make any more sense.

Just that Rey, like Anakin, was a product of the force? I don't see how that makes much of a difference in the plot other than just giving Rey a clearer background.

Like I said last page, I think this would be fairly hard to pull off simply from a plot mechanics standpoint. How would she (or we?) ever find this out?
The Collective
AG
Even still, the fact that this is so unclear for those of us who have watched these movies quite a bit reveals there is a problem with the story and mythology.
twilly
AG
So the Force can't make up it's mind which way it wants to go. So in other words...
TCTTS
AG
Please Dear God don't spark this conversation...
The Collective
AG
**** it - might as well destroy another perfectly good thread on this board.
twilly
AG
TCTTS said:

Please Dear God don't spark this conversation...
Posted for sarcasm and humor only. I have no soap box to stand upon. Just thought the previous discussion about unclear Force direction was funny.
TCTTS
AG
(Though I'm admittedly just now getting the joke.)
bobinator
AG
CJS4715 said:

Even still, the fact that this is so unclear for those of us who have watched these movies quite a bit reveals there is a problem with the story and mythology.
So I actually don't agree with this, but this is going to maybe get a little weird.

It being a "problem" presupposes that we're supposed to understand it, yet we don't understand the guiding force of our own universe. There are different religions, sciences, theories, etc to how life is formed, evolved, etc, but there's not one "definitively right" theory that connects everything together.

For all of our scientific advances, there are fundamental parts of our own universe that we don't understand.

In the same way, the people of Star Wars have various theories and interpretations of how/why/etc "the force" works, but none of them really know for sure. Some of them can even wield it's power, but not completely.

So as much as I give Ep. 8 a lot of crap for various things, the lack of clarity of the nature of the force doesn't bother me all that much.
Dro07
AG
jokershady
AG
bobinator said:

Claude! said:

I'm still confused on what exactly the theory is and how it makes this series make any more sense.

Just that Rey, like Anakin, was a product of the force? I don't see how that makes much of a difference in the plot other than just giving Rey a clearer background.

Like I said last page, I think this would be fairly hard to pull off simply from a plot mechanics standpoint. How would she (or we?) ever find this out?
Not quite.

It's implied in episode 3 that Anikan was NOT created by the force itself....but rather a dark side user. The Force was never intended to stop death or create life.

My theory was....balance is trying to be maintained because of the actions of Plagus.....therefore Rey would be the only creation of the Force since Anikan was done through the dark side manipulating the force
jokershady
AG
Remember...."All is, as The Force wills it."

bobinator
AG
Okay, I suppose I could see that... but I'd think she would have been created at the same time as Anakin. Like when the dark side force user used the force to create a life, he didn't realize he was actually creating two lives and that somewhere else a second child was born.

I could see it though I guess.
jabberwalkie09
AG
"I am one with the force and the force is with me."
The Collective
AG
Magic stick man.
jokershady
AG
bobinator said:

Okay, I suppose I could see that... but I'd think she would have been created at the same time as Anakin. Like when the dark side force user used the force to create a life, he didn't realize he was actually creating two lives and that somewhere else a second child was born.

I could see it though I guess.
Yup. That is the one flaw with this idea. My only thought behind that is that it was not immediately known what kind of force user Anikan was going to be.

Before he turned, Anikan did a lot of good for the Republic.
jokershady
AG
My favorite character from my favorite Star Wars Movie

Edit: oops, that's my 2nd favorite character. Forgot about K2SO. He's definitely my #1
bobinator
AG
He also birthed Luke and Leia, so he kind of balanced himself out before Rey was even born.
TCTTS
AG
Is it considered Star Wars fact/canon that Darth Plagueis really did creat Anakin? I know Palpatine hinted as much in ROTS, but that's a fact, right?
Flashdiaz
AG
jokershady said:

bobinator said:

Claude! said:

Not quite.

It's implied in episode 3 that Anikan was NOT created by the force itself....but rather a dark side user. The Force was never intended to stop death or create life.

My theory was....balance is trying to be maintained because of the actions of Plagus.....therefore Rey would be the only creation of the Force since Anikan was done through the dark side manipulating the force
Given that a dark side user manipulated the force to create Anakin, that bloodline is a *******ization of the force. Kylo will be the last one and Rey will bring balance to the force by killing off the Skywalker blood.
TCTTS
AG
I really dig that idea.
bobinator
AG
So this may be wrong in canon, admittedly I mostly just watch the movies, but I always though that Palpatine was lying about that. I thought he was just trying to make Anakin feel like he belonged with the dark side, like it was his destiny to join him.
First Page Last Page
Page 6 of 194

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.