*** STAR WARS: THE RISE OF SKYWALKER ***

748,901 Views | 6770 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by SpreadsheetAg
redline248
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We won't ever see that gangster looking for Han again
John Matrix
AG
CJS4715 said:

Driver is great. I know the emo kylo jokes are out there, but he's handled the conflicted force user role better than anybody in the other movies.

Anything with Kylo and Rey in this series is gold. I always liked the description of Kylo as a school shooter in space. Driver perfectl illustrates the unfounded anger mixed with violent impulse that is required for a role like that. I kind of feel like George Lucas wanted something like that in the prequels for Anakin, but Lucas doesn't have the directoral or writing chops to pull it off.
mazag08
AG
TCTTS - I'm not sure if you've heard anything from the inside.. but would you mind a short, quick version of what a perfect episode 9 plot would look like?

I tried to write out mine and it was awful. Story creating is not my arena.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
redline248 said:

Probably not, but his line has resonated with me and my daughter for some reason.
redline248
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

redline248 said:

Probably not, but his line has resonated with me and my daughter for some reason.

Cuz it sounds like he says "tell it to ganja club"
redline248
AG
mazag08 said:

TCTTS - I'm not sure if you've heard anything from the inside.. but would you mind a short, quick version of what a perfect episode 9 plot would look like?

Oh no
TCTTS
AG
mazag08 said:

Honestly, I have absolutely no clue what the actual story will be. TLJ effectively wiped the slate clean, which is the blessing and the curse with Episode IX. Ha, seeing as redline clearly doesn't want to hear my take anyway (though, again, I don't really have one), why don't we open it up to the thread?

In order to at least try and provide a few sign posts, I do know this:

You NEVER start with plot. First and foremost, you decide what the CHARACTERS need (both in how they're challenged and what you want their arcs to be), from there you develop the THEME, and then you figure out the PLOT.

With that in mind, so far...

The Force Awakens

REY WANTS
As an orphan (not by choice), to find her place/purpose in the galaxy. She's trying to FIND her family.

KYLO WANTS:
As an orphan (by choice), to destroy the remaining light within himself. He's trying to ELIMINATE his family.

THEME
What are the ways in which "family" can haunt us, and what are we willing to do quell those demons?

The Last Jedi

REY WANTS
To SAVE the galaxy by convincing Luke to help her SAVE the Resistance. In doing so, she hopes to better UNDERSTAND her past.

KYLO WANTS
To RULE the galaxy by convincing Rey to to help her END the Resistance (and the First Order). In doing so, Kylo hopes to better DESTROY his past.

THEME
In order to move forward, we need to let the past (and in some cases, family) die. (i.e. where we come from doesn't matter nearly as much as where we're going.)

Episode IX

So, now that Rey has found her purpose in the galaxy, and has realized it doesn't matter where she came from (i.e. she doesn't need to have a "chosen" bloodline to "be someone"), what challenges are left for her character? Emotionally, what's left for her to overcome? Part of the problem with TLJ is that there isn't really a question left dangling in this regard. Or, at least not an obvious one. Her arc already feels relatively complete, even though it was never truly developed to begin with. The only thing I can think of is this: What does it mean to now be the last Jedi? Will she let the religion die as Luke once hoped? Or will she try and salvage the Jedi Order, but in a new and better way - one that has learned from past mistakes? The entire future of the Jedi Order lies in her hands, and that could be really interesting to explore. So, I would then start to build a plot around that. How does she grapple with this? How does Kylo factor into this? What kind of situations or ancillary characters can we introduce to challenge her in this regard? A once orphan is now being tasked with the end all be all of familial decisions. How will she handle this monumental burden?

Kylo is a bit more cut and dry, but that's because, at the end of TLJ, his arc thankfully isn't quite as "complete." There's more obvious character material left to work with. At TFA's conclusion, he (thinks he) destroyed any light left within in himself by killing Han, but he then takes his own thematic message to the extreme (as he is so inclined to do) and not only lets *his* past die but destroys *the* past all together by killing Smoke (and thus the last remaining steward of the Sith or the Dark Side or whatever you want refer to it as). The future - same as Rey - is now his to decide. Only, there's one wild card remaining: Leia. As hard as Kylo has tried, his past isn't dead yet.

So, that does bring us to a nice little yin/yang situation once again with Rey and Kylo. They are each the last vestiges of "hope" for their respective sides of the Force. THEIR actions will literally decide the future of the galaxy. And I know that's not exactly some big "Aha!" realization - it's pretty obvious - but if you can understand the nuts and bolts of the character/theme angle in that regard, you can then start to build a plot with those pieces. You can begin to figure out how the plot can more literally represented that basic conceit. Is Rey trying to establish a new Jedi Academy at the outset - or - is doing so the crux of her character's dilemma (as in she might not want to at first, and doesn't come to the decision to do so until the end)? Either way, how is her struggle manifested in the plot? Similarly, what is Kylo now doing to establish *his* version of a new First Order (a "New Order," if you will)? And how can the story challenge him in that regard? If each character is trying to build new (and waring) cathedrals of government and worship, so to speak, how do those two goals clash in a compelling plot that satisfyingly wraps up the entire saga?

My answer? Again, right now, I have no clue. Kylo obviously has the advantage at this point, seeing as there were about ten members of the Resistance left at the end of TLJ, and that the governing body of the galaxy was destroyed by the end of TFA, creating a giant vacuum. On the side of the good guys, we know that Lando will likely swoop in - in some capacity - to offer his services (and potentially additional man power). And on the side of the bad guys, not only does The First Order obviously have the numbers, but surely The Knights of Ren will finally come into play as well. Save for those two potential plot points, though, I'm at loss as to the actual plot of the movie, or would at least need a while to try and figure one out. And I certainly don't have the time to do so right now.

So, what say you guys?
TCTTS
AG
Actually, this just gave me a new title idea as well, one that's kind of cheesy, but I do like the "hope" symmetry, seeing as this is the final story in the saga...

Star Wars: Rey of Hope
DTP02
AG
TCTTS said:

Much like Episode VIII, I think we all wish we could pretend that we didn't see that, and just move on.
veryfuller
Staff
AG
I think Rey's struggle is going to be similar to Katniss in the Hunger Games. Rey made a decision in TLJ to save her friends, and now is a hero to the scattered but rebuilding resistance. It will bring the story full circle from TFA. The legend of Luke was enthralling to her, now she is the legend and is that something she really can handle or that she wants. Is the resistance using her to rebuild a broken system? Or can she finally break the cycle?

Kylo's story is a mirror of Rey's in both movies. This one will be similar. He will also be looking to break the system that has proven to fail over and over in the galaxy, while trying to rid himself of the connections that have held his family back in the past. Although I don't want a story where Rey or Leia still sense good and him and try to bring it out, I do think there is still good in him and that one of those characters will bring it out, but hopefully in a confrontation where they are actively trying to thwart him.

I think Kylo and Rey will succeed in breaking the cycle and bringing "balance" to the galaxy. Kylo will definitely die, but I think Rey will as well, leaving the books behind to the force wielding kids to discover and create a new order of their own.

Poe needs to overcome his MASSIVE mistakes in TLJ to become a great leader in the resistance. I think that could be a very compelling story considering the losses in TLJ were basically all his fault for thinking that the leaders need to explain themselves to him instead of following orders.

Leia needs to confront her son. IDK what that can look like, but lets be honest, if JJ and team can make that work, its a must for this film.

I do think the title will have either something to do with hope, or the words final or end in it.

TCTTS
AG
DTP02 said:

TCTTS said:

Much like Episode VIII, I think we all wish we could pretend that we didn't just see that and move on.
TCTTS
AG

Quote:

Is the resistance using her to rebuild a broken system? Or can she finally break the cycle?
I really like this idea.
Hello there
TCTTS said:

Actually, this just gave me a new title idea as well, one that's kind of cheesy, but I do like the "hope" symmetry, seeing as this is the final story in the saga...

Hello there
Great post, and solid insight.

But here's a thought. Rey, presumably, wants to continue the Jedi Order and bring peace to the galaxy.

Kylo likely has similar goals, except he wants to rule it.

What if throughout Ep IX, their mentalities shift enough to where they essentially "meet in the middle", so to speak. True balance. No light, no dark, just "The Force".

Concretely, this could mean Kylo rules the galaxy, but as a benevolent ruler, maybe even a Chancellor. The New Republic is once again.

No "Jedi Academy" so to speak, but instead Rey is training force users to use the force, without choosing the light or the dark. Using "passion" (anger, hatred) is accepted, but not encouraged. You are allowed to use it and harness it, when it is for good. (Mace Windu was a loose practicioner of this, as I recall from the canon.)

This is all happening under Kylo's "rule", but he and Rey are working together.

Is this TOO much of a compromise for an ending? They've kept drilling how the force needs to be in balance, and maybe ending the Sith and Jedi really is the only way.
TCTTS
AG
I've never quite understood what "balance" truly means in regards to the Force in this franchise, but this scenario would seem the closest, I imagine. That said, I just can't see any way Kylo doesn't die. I do think he'll be redeemed in some way, he'll just die in the process.
Hello there
You're probably right about him dying. I suppose he could end up making enough a turn before the end to be a force ghost?

And how does one become one, anyway? Are you automatically in if you're a Jedi or do you have to learn it?
TCTTS
AG
Am I misremembering some mention somewhere of Qui-Gon being the first to master it?
Hello there
Yeah, Yoda mentions as much to Obi-Wan in ROTS.

I guess that was meant to show you can't just become one unless you train for it. We never saw Luke learn to be able to do this, and certainly never mentioned to him by Obi-Wan or Yoda, so it'll be interesting to see how they handle him in Ep IX.

I suppose if he learned to force project himself across the galaxy, he can certainly come back as a measly ol' force ghost without much explanation.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
Obi wan or yoda could have taught him "blue glowie level one " as a blue glowie between 6 and 7.

Although if you only watch the original trilogy it is iimplied force ghost is something only for light side users. Ie Luke redeeming Anakin causes him to be able to become one. Same reason Darth doesn't know what happened to Obi-Wan when he struck him down to become more powerful than he could imagine.

but the prequel makes is seem as though only Qui-Gon figured it out and somehow only passed it on to Obi-wan and Yoda. Did he pass it on to Anakin? if so he should have understood what happened to Obi-wan unless the dark side didn't allow him to understand.

Anyway my view of balance of the force originally was only having ~ 2 Sith and 2 Jedi. Ie because Anakin killed off all the Jedi and left only a couple on each side.

I then thought, Luke ( or the all the Skywalkers were the balance bringer, ie he used both light and dark side things. )

but this would require him to actually teach Rey ( or Kylo in the past) something about that. Maybe me dreams will come true in Episode 9 but I doubt it.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
jokershady
AG
TCTTS said:

I've never quite understood what "balance" truly means in regards to the Force in this franchise, but this scenario would seem the closest, I imagine. That said, I just can't see any way Kylo doesn't die. I do think he'll be redeemed in some way, he'll just die in the process.
Didn't we do a whole thing on that earlier on in this thread?
TCTTS
AG
I vaguely remember that, yeah. It's hard to keep track of what's been discussed here over the years.
Rex Racer
AG
TCTTS said:

Am I misremembering some mention somewhere of Qui-Gon being the first to master it?
Episode III, at the end, Yoda told Obi-wan that Qui-Gon had figured that out, and he (Yoda) would teach him (Obi-wan) to commune with him (Qui-Gon).
jokershady
AG
TCTTS said:

I vaguely remember that, yeah. It's hard to keep track of what's been discussed here over the years.
Ya I got to go back and re-read myself.....started around page 6 or 7 but I remember it was pretty cool theory regarding what we all considered would be a really neat way to take episode 9 with heavy consideration on balance of the force.
TCTTS
AG
So, this might be obvious, but I've never really thought of it in these terms... Luke was essentially "projecting" his Force Ghost, same as Obi-Wan and Yoda have "projected" theirs, only Luke figured out how to do it while he was still alive, and Obi-Wan and Yoda (and presumably Qui-Gon) could only do it in death? If so, how could this potentially play into Episode IX's plot, if at all?

Sarduakar, is that basically what you were getting at?
twilly
AG
It can be argued that the book The Jedi Path isn't canon, but it was used as reference material by RJ for Luke's Space Skype moment at the end of TLJ. The book was published in 2010.

Quote:

In a series of tweets, the director masterfully zoomed into a text sitting on a shelf. Without tweeting any words, a passage from the book "The Jedi Path" put to rest how Skywalker could have made a strong projection of himself using the Force.

The text shown shows an excerpt describing "Advanced Force Techniques."

Johnson hones in on one section that focuses on creating a doppelganger, also known as a Si****uturus. Here's what it says:

"Doppelganger, or Si****uturus, permits a Jedi to create a short-lived duplicate of himself or herself or an external object that is visually indistinguishable from the real item. Those who have perfected this ability can create phantoms of any person of their choosing or trick an enemy into seeing more objects, such as droids, than are actually present."

That explains why Kylo Ren wasn't able to immediately distinguish his uncle Skywalker from a mere projection. It also explains why Luke was able to give his sister Leia a pair of dice from the Millennium Falcon that also wasn't real. (Of course, if you were paying close attention, you would have noticed there was the smallest moment of recognition between the siblings where Leia realized Luke was nothing more than a projection.)

The **** part is MIL(E+1)
jokershady
AG
Quote:

That explains why Kylo Ren wasn't able to immediately distinguish his uncle Skywalker from a mere projection. It also explains why Luke was able to give his sister Leia a pair of dice from the Millennium Falcon that also wasn't real. (Of course, if you were paying close attention, you would have noticed there was the smallest moment of recognition between the siblings where Leia realized Luke was nothing more than a projection.)

Help me out on this last part cause I don't fully remember.

When was Kylo unable to distinguish Luke? Seem to remember him recognizing right away.

And when did Leia show that she recognized Luke as a projection?

I know you didn't write this but wanted to check nod see if you've noticed these parts since it was in your quote
Belton Ag
AG
TCTTS said:

Kylo's redemption presents some problems to me, beyond his seeming to be nonredeemable at this point (killing Han, etc).

First, he has to have something/someone to defeat in order to redeem himself, like Vader killing the Emperor and saving Luke. Now, though, HE is the arch villain and there is nobody there to defeat. The obvious choice would have been Snoke, but Johnson turned that concept on its head when Kylo killed him and somehow became worse in our eyes. That leaves who? Hux? Maybe but his character was severely undermined in TLJ and I wouldn't buy him becoming the kind of powerful figure that would threaten both Kylo and Rey.

Second, he can unleash events that he would need to stop in order to redeem himself, but anything he stops will have been started by him with completely hateful and selfish motivations and would cheapen any redemption story in my opinion. If he "sees the light" one day and destroys the First Order, that's nice and all, but what the hell was all the earlier crap about, then?

At this point, Kylo has been written into a corner and it would take some pretty creative writing to get him out. I seriously doubt Star Wars fandom is going to put up with any deus ex machina at this point, so Abrams has a huge task if he decides to redeem Kylo.
twilly
AG
Kylo didn't realize Luke wasn't real until his lightsaber went thru him and nothing happened. Why else would he try to kill him if he wasn't there?

I'm not entirely sure about Leia, but I think it may have been when Luke kissed her forehead. The look on her face was a little different after that. But that's a guess on my part.
TCTTS
AG
You bring up some good points, especially the idea that Kylo has no arch villain left to defeat (that we know of yet). He IS the big bad. And I agree that they've written him into a bit of a corner in that regard.

That said, I've never understood why some consider Kylo to be unredeemable, when Anakin/Vader did just as bad or worse...

- Anakin's actions directly led to Mace Windu's death (after he cut off Windu's hand).
- Anakin literally murdered a bunch of children.
- Anakin Force choked his own wife, which basically led to her death.
- Anakin/Vader oversaw and commanded the annihilation of his daughter's entire home planet.
- Anakin/Vader arranged the carbon freezing of Han, an act in and of itself that, as mentioned in-movie, could have led to Han's death (never mind the death certainly faced under Jabba),
- Ankain/Vader *tried* to kill his mentor TWICE.

Why are these murders/attempted murders so "easy" to look past, but Kylo killing Han isn't, in terms of redemption? This argument has always seemed so weird to me. Kylo almost seems tame in comparison, all things considered.
twilly
AG
I see it being Kylo's redemption coming as he dies. Almost similar to Vader. Kylo's entire journey has been trying to emulate his grandfather. Turning back to the light just like Vader would actually complete his life's meaning.
TCTTS
AG
Agreed.
Belton Ag
AG
TCTTS said:

You bring up some good points, especially the idea that Kylo has no arch villain left to defeat (that we know of yet). He IS the big bad. And I agree that they've written him into a bit of a corner in that regard.

That said, I've never understood why some consider Kylo to be unredeemable, when Vader did just as bad or worse...

- Anakin literally murdered a bunch of children.
- Anakin Force choked his own wife, which basically led to her death.
- Anakin/Vader oversaw and commanded the annihilation of his daughter's entire home planet.
- Ankain/Vader *tried* to kill Obi-Wan TWICE.

Why are these murders/attempted murders so "easy" to look past, but Kylo killing Han isn't, in terms of redemption? This argument has always seemed so weird to me. Kylo almost seems tame in comparison, all things considered.
Darth Vader had already been redeemed for over a decade in my eyes before he did those awful things. Had Lucas actually made the movies in order and Darth Vader's ending hadn't already been baked into the national conscience it might have been much different.

I don't necessarily think his actions were worse than Vader's, but we were left to believe that he is just too far gone in the last movie. Leia says something to that effect to Luke: "My son is gone." I'm just taking Lucasfilm at their word. I guess it just plays into the others things I talked about.
TCTTS
AG

Quote:

Darth Vader had already been redeemed for over a decade in my eyes before he did those awful things. Had Lucas actually made the movies in order and Darth Vader's ending hadn't already been baked into the national conscience it might have been much different.
This seems like a bit of a cop out, though. The order doesn't really matter, and he still did some TERRIBLE sh*t in the original trilogy alone.
Hello there
Kylo genocided 5X more planets.
First Page Last Page
Page 21 of 194

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.