The Americans - Fianl Season (March 28)

68,869 Views | 629 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Aggies76
Zombie Jon Snow
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yelnick McWawa said:

gomerschlep said:

I just don't buy the whole financial struggles plot line. You would think somebody with their skill set could find some way to generate income in a less than legal manner. I understand that's an unnecessary risk, but I fell like I would figure SOMETHING out.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it but it seemed to me that that's exactly what they're setting up Philip to do. I mean they literally get away with murder, it's not too hard to imagine him knocking off a drug dealer or pawn shop or something.

Yes... and a crime like that might lead to more scrutiny from Stan since he works in like standard crimes now.
Post removed:
by user
SWCBonfire
AG
Oleg turns for the good guys? Or gets pressured and gives up Philip?

Philip is disgusted with himself. Setting up all the reason for him to turn... and get caught before he can.
n_touch
Did she know she was leaving the kid behind?
et98
AG
n_touch said:

Did she know she was leaving the kid behind?
Yes. She looked in the room and saw the kid.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Wanted to yell "**** yeah!" when Phillip tells Kimmy to stay in Greece
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

Wanted to yell "**** yeah!" when Phillip tells Kimmy to stay in Greece

knew he was not going to go through with it but man.....when Elizabeth finds out.

But no sympathy because
a. come on elizabeth totally was trying to play Philip - f'ing him the night before asking him to do that
b. the way she is to Paige and lying about not using sex, etc.

Philip's sparring with Paige was.... weird to say the least. I really don't get it. Was it to see for himself if she could handle it I guess.

Zombie Jon Snow
AG
And Oleg is the most impressive agent - he is calm cool and collected. Can't rattle that guy. He is playing so many sides most times - and has people questioning him from within, without, etc. keeping it straight and reading situations and the way he talks around everything is genius.

I only really care if 2 people live - Oleg and Philip. But I don't think there is any way they both do - only one at most.

Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Sasappis said:

Elizabeth is not a good person. I hope she does not survive.

but I love having the ultimate protagonist with no redeeming qualities. Shows so often shy away from making someone so horrible. And she is sooooo good at it - the ice queen of death.

DannyDuberstein
AG
I knew he wouldnt go thru with it, but didnt quite expect him to overtly warn her. Full out "**** it, I'm burning it down".

And yeah, Elizabeth working him is just pathetic. No soul in the gal. Seems like it will end badly for pretty much everyone.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Not entirely sure of the Paige apt scene. Maybe he was getting his own assessment of how well she can handle herself. But part of it seemed to be a "you better watch yourself because you aint got ****" message.
n_touch
That's how I took it. He wanted her to know she was not ready and to be careful. I also think that may bring him back in so he can protect her.
Post removed:
by user
DannyDuberstein
AG
Yeah, the "you arent like me and mom" comment while not knowing what he's done and is capable of was likely the final red flag of how naive she is, so he went right to sending a message.

They've sugarcoated everything to bring her in. That was step 1 to removing some of the coating.
Quad Dog
AG
Two great quotes in this review about last night's episode:
Quote:

The Americans: a show where the most heroic character this week is the guy who beats up his daughter and has manipulative sex with a surrogate daughter figure!

Quote:

Recognizing that his words will fall on deaf ears with Paige, especially given what a masterful job Elizabeth and Claudia have done of indoctrinating her to sympathize with Russia, he instead gives her a scare, challenging her to spar and easily dismantling and even hurting her to demonstrate just how unprepared she is when her opponents aren't a couple of spoiled college boys at a bar.
https://uproxx.com/sepinwall/the-americans-recap-the-great-patriotic-war-review-spoilers/
DannyDuberstein
AG
This is why that even though Philip is turning, if it turns out bad for him in the end, my thought is that he basically had it coming anyway (pardon the pun). Even though you see the light, there's still a reckoning for what you've done.

Things going to **** for Stan or Oleg would be a little tougher. Especially Stan.
DTP02
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

Philip's sparring with Paige was.... weird to say the least. I really don't get it. Was it to see for himself if she could handle it I guess.

I thought it was going to be setting up a "you only THINK you know what we (your mother) do, but you don't know the reality of it," but then there really was no follow through at all along those lines so I guess it will be a slow burn if it goes anywhere. I would have thought when she was beaten and vulnerable would have been a good time to at least imply something along those lines to her.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Yes that's where I thought it was going too....

time to start enlightening her.... like do you REALLY think that general killed himself Paige???? think about it.

beanbean
People that aren't watching this show are missing out. This is setting up to be one of those series finales that people mention in their favorite series finale ever lists. I can feel it.
gillom
AG
That was a top 3 episode.
SeattleAgJr
Vulture.com has a really good write up over that scene that really lays down and nails all the salient points behind it. I don't have a link to it, but I'm sure a quick Google search will turn it up for you. If you're actually interested in some good insight behind that scene, I suggest searching it out.
DallasAggie97
AG
One of the ways that Phillip & Elizabeth got Paige to spy for the Soviets was the narrative with the wheat and attacking Soviet crops. Did they ever tell her that we weren't attacking the Soviet food supply? I wonder if that fact will come up.

Paige has just been fed lies. She's bound to find out.

I also wonder if, when the show ends, they'll show an update of the survivors' lives in today's world (Martha and her daughter, Tim, along with the Jennings.)
lunchbox
DallasAggie97 said:

I also wonder if, when the show ends, they'll show an update of the survivors' lives in today's world (Martha and her daughter, Tim, along with the Jennings.)
Stan's girlfriend working at the FBI while sneaking documents off the mail robot...
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

Sasappis said:

Elizabeth is not a good person. I hope she does not survive.

but I love having the ultimate antagonist with no redeeming qualities. Shows so often shy away from making someone so horrible. And she is sooooo good at it - the ice queen of death.

FIFY
gomerschlep
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

Not entirely sure of the Paige apt scene. Maybe he was getting his own assessment of how well she can handle herself. But part of it seemed to be a "you better watch yourself because you aint got ****" message.
I thought it was pretty obvious. The message was: "you're not ready, chill the **** out"
oragator
One of the two or three best episodes of the series, there was so much going on. The fight scene fascinated me, I read a bunch of reviews afterwards to get takes on it.

The obvious, and what I saw, was a dad trying to warn his daughter about how dangerous all this really is, that her sparring didn't mean much if anything in the real world. Cutting her down to size a bit.

The second layer was the constant triggering he has been getting when Elizabeth talks about "some people not having it anymore", so when Paige said "what me and mom do" as if he's an afterthought, he wanted to make the point that' he isn't weak, he isn't scared, it's his choice. He could still do it if he wanted to.

The last layer is genuine anger at how he has been shut out by Paige and Elizabeth, and his wife's case even used, as someone mentioned above.

And the way he did it all with zero emotion, as if he was working only underscored all of it. He was out to make some clear points, and did.

Meantime you have him warning Kimmy, Elizabeth killing a couple in front of their kid and and not appearing at all remorseful, Oleg suddenly between a rock and a hard place.

And the only person in control of anyone seemingly is the woman that is dying.

Just really really great episode.

And credit to FX for letting these episodes run long so they can tell the story right.
CW Griswold

That's just good parenting.
DTP02
AG
I thought Elizabeth clearly did appear remorseful for a few seconds in the hallway. Those little glimpses of morality are what humanizes her, but she quickly stuffs it back inside and convinces herself that the ends more than justify the means. If we didn't have that, she'd just seem like a pure sociopath and her character and the show would be a lot less interesting.

Even with those occasional glimpses of a soul, it's easy to hate her when she quickly moves on from showing some remorse for killing the kid's family with him there to manipulating her own daughter in the beginning stages of honeypot training.
CoolAggie
AG
It's still anyone's guess how this show will end but characters and storylines are converging quickly and I certainly don't expect a happy ending for anyone involved. Gonna miss this show.
ellebee
I think it's going to be Stan's girlfriend that discovers they are Russians.

I loved the scene with Philip and Paige. He was putting her in his place and showing her he wasn't weak. This show is effing fantastic.
hatchback
AG
What are the chances that Phillip turns in Elizabeth to Stan in exchange for cash to help the financial situation? The look on his face as the episode closed while he was listening to Stan talk made me think. Especially now that he knows about the mission in Europe and alerted Kimmie. Too much risk for him to turn in his wife?
Ol Jock 99
AG
hatchback said:

What are the chances that Phillip turns in Elizabeth to Stan in exchange for cash to help the financial situation? The look on his face as the episode closed while he was listening to Stan talk made me think. Especially now that he knows about the mission in Europe and alerted Kimmie. Too much risk for him to turn in his wife?
Less than zero.
hatchback
AG
Fair. Just a thought while thinking about the show with my conspiracy hat on last night.
expresswrittenconsent
How do you envision that going down, hatchback?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.