The Americans - Fianl Season (March 28)

68,655 Views | 629 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Aggies76
DannyDuberstein
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
She was an interior decorator that killed 16 Czechoslovakians. Which is odd because their house looks like *****

That is a good comparison though. Plants viewer doubt and we'll never know.
Rascal
AG
Took me a couple of days to digest, but I'd say a great ending to this show! Not what I expected at all, but underscores the greatness of this 6 year run.
KidDoc
AG
I rewatched the final today because I was nodding off when it first aired. It really was a good ending to a great series. I think Stan' s wife is Russian but didn't know about the Jennings.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Rascal
AG
Side note:

Remembering from the first episode 6 years ago when I actually watched it LIVE (no DVR 2-weeks later) and recall how awesome the opening scene was, largely in part due to the accompanying musical score of Fleetwood Mac's "Tusk".

It really set a great tone and rhythm right out of the gate for this unique and awesome series!
CorpsAg11
AG
I know I'm late but I just finished the series finale. Really good show and fantastic finale. The garage scene reminded me of another garage scene... the one from breaking bad. Similar tension. And the train station scene was excellent as well.

My one complaint about this show is that things didn't really start to unravel until about the final 3 episodes of the series. That should have been spread out more, because it made for absolutely amazing television. There were a couple seasons of the Americans where I didn't feel like the story had moved along at all and that is unfortunate. Ultimately the payoff was worth it, but still..
TennAg
That's a pretty good point, I could've used 8-10 episodes of unraveling. And I'm still not sure what the failing of the agency had to do with anything, lot of time spent there just to highlight the guilt of firing that one guy.
Stat Monitor Repairman
The way I look at it the scene with Stavos was pretty important whe he revealed that he knew something was going on in the back room for a decade and didn't say *****

I think it went to point out that even though they tried to be normal, they weren't and it was obvious to some people.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG

Well I think the failing travel agency had everything to do with that final speech from Phlip to Stan where he tells him that his life was a joke and not Stan's. He specifically mentions being a ****ty travel agent - so when he tried to be a normal person with a normal job he was a failure.

In reality Philip wanted a normal life but was not built or trained or skilled at much of anything else besides spying and killing.

My only regret is there was not some epilogue - maybe 5 years later - but I suppose that is some way of just wanting closure on characters instead of an open ambiguous one that we got for so many. They really resolved Philip and Elizabeth (The Americans) but we don't know about anyone else really how it all affects them down the road. But I suppose that is the case for P and E so we get to experience that feeling that they also have. It's a fitting ending I'm just selfish and want more.
aTmAg
AG
CorpsAg11 said:

I know I'm late but I just finished the series finale. Really good show and fantastic finale. The garage scene reminded me of another garage scene... the one from breaking bad. Similar tension. And the train station scene was excellent as well.

My one complaint about this show is that things didn't really start to unravel until about the final 3 episodes of the series. That should have been spread out more, because it made for absolutely amazing television. There were a couple seasons of the Americans where I didn't feel like the story had moved along at all and that is unfortunate. Ultimately the payoff was worth it, but still..
The problem is with trying to stretch that out 8 episodes is that once a NOC gets outed, they get the hell out of dodge fast. Unless the writers wanted to spend a whole episode or two on the trip to Russia (which would have been boring), what they showed is pretty much how it works.
expresswrittenconsent
CorpsAg11 said:

Great point. FX did them a favor after season 4 when it renewed the show for season 5 and 6 together. So we got an entire season 5 of basically filler plot about bugs and crops. I loved the entirety of the show and I know everyone here did too, but the reality is that season 4/5 is where the show started to shed viewers (which it never had many of to begin with) and season 5 is where critics (who had loved the show from day 1) began to bail on the show.
jeffdjohnson
expresswrittenconsent said:

Great point. FX did them a favor after season 4 when it renewed the show for season 5 and 6 together. So we got an entire season 5 of basically filler plot about bugs and crops. I loved the entirety of the show and I know everyone here did too, but the reality is that season 4/5 is where the show started to shed viewers (which it never had many of to begin with) and season 5 is where critics (who had loved the show from day 1) began to bail on the show.

I quit watching at some point in season 5. Just lost interest gradually. Finally finished catching up on seasons 5/6 this week with a binge and enjoyed it. Probably should have blended seasons 5/6 into 12 episodes total instead of 22 though. There were definitely some spots to tighten up but I wouldn't have changed anything about the ending. Sometimes there isn't justice in the world. The Jennings murdered people (even innocent people) and they got away with it. Maybe they didn't lose their lives but they paid a price. I'm content with that.

Also, gonna vote that Stan's wife is not a Russian spy. He was perceptive enough to ask Henry about his lack of grandparents/uncles/etc... He should very easily be able to determine if she is not who she claims to be. Maybe he missed the Jennings being spies, that doesn't make him a dunce. Missing on his own wife would make him an idiot, I'm not buying it.
Waltonloads08
AG
aTmAg said:

To me, the finale was too relatable. I got a kid going off to college and another one who might marry off soon. I'm bummed out enough as it is. I can't imagine knowing that I'll never see my kids again. I can't relate to going out in a blaze of glory, but I sure as hell can relate to the Henry and Paige situation. Maybe that's the genius of that finale.

This is a really good point.

Waltonloads08
AG
lunchbox said:

Count me in with those that thought they would have passed a McDonalds (or one under construction) while driving in Russia.

I also loved the last scene with Renee. I'm glad they didn't have her do a full-on smirk.

I'm guessing that since Stan (and maybe Henry and Renee) are the only ones that really know about Paige, she keeps her identity and moves away to work for a NPO or something.

The first McDonald's did not open in Russia until 1990
Waltonloads08
AG
Ol_Ag_02 said:

Sasappis said:

brucoh said:

Sasappis said:

brucoh said:

Disappointing. Could've been one of the most gutwrenching finales ever, but they just softened it all up.

You didn't think the scene in garage, the phone call and the scene on the train were gut wrenching?

Gutwrenching as in with all the people they killed, one of them or Paige was going to have to die with the others witnessing because of consequences of the lives they choose to live. Not this everyone just goes their separate ways to start new lives stuff. It was weak. Give us a scene that will stand out forever when anyone thinks of the Americans.

They lost their two children because of their decisions. If you cannot see that then you have not paid attention to this show. They are living with their consequences.

Yup. Their kids abandoned them.

Another good statement.

Their son left them a year or two ago.

Their daughter leaves them at the last moment she can possibly do so.

For the rest of their lives that may be worse than getting shot in the woods upon returning to USSR ....
lespaul
AG
I watched seasons 5 & 6 over the last few weeks on amazon. I loved season 1-4

Man was season 5 boring as hell. No tension at all. Nothing happened. Am I the only one who felt that way?

I loved season 6. Good TV. I will say I am disappointed that they got away. With as many Americans as they killed, I was hoping the mom would die (felicity). I don't buy what Stan did in the garage.

oragator
Matthew Rhys got best actor tonight.
Jim01
AG
I'm happy for the show, and maybe I'm in the minority but I felt like at times his acting was the weakest on the show. Sad Russell walks away empty handed.
Psychag
AG
Wife and I binged the past 6 weeks. Loved watching commercial free. Definitely one of the best series. Absolutely loved it. Soundtracks were great. Alot of 80s alternative music. U2s With or Without You was perfect for the last scene.
oragator
Best drama at the golden globes.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/06/entertainment/golden-globes-recap/index.html
Quinn
AG
I feel behind on The Americans and finally caught up and finished the series last night. I loved the finale and thought that the two big scenes (garage & train) landed perfectly for me. There was no way that Stan was shooting them unless they attacked first. The only thing out of place for me was the dream sequence. It was odd and kind of took me out of the episode for a minute. Everything else was really great, including the non-reveal of Renee.
After finishing it, The Americans is up there with Mad Men for my favorite show.
fightinags2013
AG
Finally finished this tonight.

Wow. Loved it except for one thing- Oleg got a raw deal. I'd watch a spin-off with his character.
MsDoubleD81
AG
Just finished this series. Outstanding - Looking for something similar to watch now.
aTmAg
AG
Great show. My order is:

1) Breaking Bad
2) The Wire
3) The Americans

The Americans gets even better after a rewatch. Tons of stuff I missed the first time around.
Stat Monitor Repairman

oragator
Just took a look, the finale still ha a 9.8 or IMDB, which is remarkable.

For those comparing it to BB. It was actually the penultimate episode of that show that was the de facto finale, at least for me. Ozymandias. That currently sits at a perfect 10 on IMDB, and may be the best hour of TV I have ever watched. It also blew everything up at once like this did, no slow burn there either.
Granite State, the actual last episode is at a 9.7.
Fo an actual finale though, I think the Americans might be my favorite ever.
Duckhook
AG
oragator said:

Just took a look, the finale still ha a 9.8 or IMDB, which is remarkable.

For those comparing it to BB. It was actually the penultimate episode of that show that was the de facto finale, at least for me. Ozymandias. That currently sits at a perfect 10 on IMDB, and may be the best hour of TV I have ever watched. It also blew everything up at once like this did, no slow burn there either.
Granite State, the actual last episode is at a 9.7.
Fo an actual finale though, I think the Americans might be my favorite ever.

Ozymandias is 3rd to last. Granite State is next to last. Felina is last.
oragator
Bad memory I guess, thanks.
RC_57
AG
On season 2 now

Will have to revisit this thread after we've wrapped up watching the series
FtBendTxAg
AG
Finished late last night. Great show. Have no idea how I let this one slip through the cracks. Strong ending. Kerri Russel is hot.
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
InternetFan02 said:

Did anyone have Dire straits and U2 guessed for the montage songs? 2 of the biggest albums of the late 80s. I thought they were good choices but I wished they hadn't edited the ending of With or without You so much - that threw off the impact of the scene for me a little
Finished the series today while "working from home." I thought earlier in Season 6 that "Brothers in Arms" would have been a great montage song. Was glad it showed up in the finale and was well placed. Love that song.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Real life The Americans assumes identities of dead babies and hiding out in Nacogdoches, Texas. Attended SFA in 1976.

https://www.ksla.com/2022/07/27/couple-with-nacogdoches-ties-alleged-by-us-be-russian-spies/?fbclid=IwAR21AlwUiUPJrt3Zl_0UTYHvw-niLfLar3PJ96MGyMeMfUr-vz0W7TkqobU#l648hrnzo9hoeqytw4

Lol wtf.
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
Stat Monitor Repairman said:

Real life The Americans assumes identities of dead babies and hiding out in Nacogdoches, Texas. Attended SFA in 1976.

https://www.ksla.com/2022/07/27/couple-with-nacogdoches-ties-alleged-by-us-be-russian-spies/?fbclid=IwAR21AlwUiUPJrt3Zl_0UTYHvw-niLfLar3PJ96MGyMeMfUr-vz0W7TkqobU#l648hrnzo9hoeqytw4

Lol wtf.

Saw this in the news today. Immediately thought of this show.
SWCBonfire
AG
Fuzzy Dunlop said:

Stat Monitor Repairman said:

Lol wtf.

Saw this in the news today. Immediately thought of this show.

Show is based on a real Russian spy couple who assumed Canadian identities and lived as residents in the US - unbeknownst to their children. Maybe the creator had access to additional information on other "illegals".
MsDoubleD81
AG
Dang, I thought the show was coming back.
Aggies76
AG
Great series.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.