****** Game of Thrones - Season 8 ******

1,892,454 Views | 14667 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Prosperdick
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

Was it known info
aggietony2010
AG
Pretty much anything from the Age of Heroes isn't "known". What's remembered is fragments retold and retold.
Belton Ag
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

redline248 said:

I'm sure the walkers had a plan to get past it (no idea what it could be), but the dragon was obviously an easy plot device that requires no explanation

Or.......

the NK knew they would bring the dragon north of the wall (from his seeing ability)....and THAT was the plan all along....zombie a dragon to bring down the wall.

explains why they met them where they did, and waited as long as they did to attack, and explains why they happened to have a weapon to kill a dragon, and explains why they had the chains nearby to drag a dragon up from the water.

The Night King seems to exist in - or to be able to see into - more than one place in time, since he was with Bran in at least one of his visions with the TER. He knew Dany was going to bring her dragons north of the wall.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Episode IV said:

6 DAYS 9 HOURS 33 MINUTES

I'm ready!!!!!!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Three days for Celebration and 6 days for GoT.

aTmAg
AG
Belton Ag said:

Zombie Jon Snow said:

redline248 said:

I'm sure the walkers had a plan to get past it (no idea what it could be), but the dragon was obviously an easy plot device that requires no explanation

Or.......

the NK knew they would bring the dragon north of the wall (from his seeing ability)....and THAT was the plan all along....zombie a dragon to bring down the wall.

explains why they met them where they did, and waited as long as they did to attack, and explains why they happened to have a weapon to kill a dragon, and explains why they had the chains nearby to drag a dragon up from the water.

The Night King seems to exist in - or to be able to see into - more than one place in time, since he was with Bran in at least one of his visions with the TER. He knew Dany was going to bring her dragons north of the wall.
If he can see the future, then what else can he see? Can he see that he is going to win? If he see's defeat, why would he bother?

And why can't Bran see the outcome too?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Speaking of the Crypts of Winterfell and the bodies of the Starks, here's some interesting watches. (Haven't seen part 2 yet.)

redline248
AG
I personally don't believe the NK can see much, if anything at all. I don't believe he knew a dragon would be there. For one thing, the show creators said the dragon was a fortunate opportunity. Also, he never knew where the original three eyed raven was until he touched Bran in Bran's vision. Furthermore, when Dany and the crew flew away Jon was underwater. The walkers and army were marching away from that spot, which allowed Jon to get out and be rescued by Benjen with little resistance. I think the walkers had to leave and go get the chains, and then come back.
redline248
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

aTmAg said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Interesting.

Personally, I don't love the idea of a "magic item" like a horn bringing it down, but then again, as cool as it was to see a dragon bring it down, I didn't love that either.

It essentially made it so that our heroes were the reason they were able to attack Winterfell in the first place. The Wall had stood for generations, and there wasn't any huge reason to think the Wall couldn't stop them this time.

Which is ironic to think about, in hindsight. Tyrion tells her "sometimes doing nothing is the hardest thing to do", when she has to go rescue everyone.

In this case, doing nothing would have meant the death of everyone who ventured beyond the wall, but it also ensured the Army of the Dead would never cross.
Couldn't they have just gone in through that gate? That seemed like a big weakness. A sort of a flaw in the story, IMO.
I mean, the gate isn't all that wide. All they would've needed is to light that tunnel on fire and none of the wights can come through.

The NK has extinguished fires by walking through them, at least twice. Once at the 3ER's cave, once when he killed Viserion.
KidDoc
AG
redline248 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

aTmAg said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Interesting.

Personally, I don't love the idea of a "magic item" like a horn bringing it down, but then again, as cool as it was to see a dragon bring it down, I didn't love that either.

It essentially made it so that our heroes were the reason they were able to attack Winterfell in the first place. The Wall had stood for generations, and there wasn't any huge reason to think the Wall couldn't stop them this time.

Which is ironic to think about, in hindsight. Tyrion tells her "sometimes doing nothing is the hardest thing to do", when she has to go rescue everyone.

In this case, doing nothing would have meant the death of everyone who ventured beyond the wall, but it also ensured the Army of the Dead would never cross.
Couldn't they have just gone in through that gate? That seemed like a big weakness. A sort of a flaw in the story, IMO.
I mean, the gate isn't all that wide. All they would've needed is to light that tunnel on fire and none of the wights can come through.

The NK has extinguished fires by walking through them, at least twice. Once at the 3ER's cave, once when he killed Viserion.
It has been years but I believe in the books they mention that they can collapse the tunnel at Castle Black if needed.

I assume it is the same at Eastwatch.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
redline248
AG
Yes, I remember this as well
Belton Ag
AG
aTmAg said:

Belton Ag said:

Zombie Jon Snow said:

redline248 said:

Or.......

If he can see the future, then what else can he see? Can he see that he is going to win? If he see's defeat, why would he bother?

And why can't Bran see the outcome too?
It's possible he sees what he thinks is the outcome and that's why he is doing what he is doing. Maybe the outcome can be changed, and that's what Bran is going to do.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
What if the Night King, like Littlefinger said in his speech, can see everything that could possibly happen, all at once?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG

C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
C@LAg said:

It will have a new title sequence.
With that song? Or is this sarcasm?

But seriously, the whole map covered in snow and ice would be baller.
aTmAg
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Speaking of the Crypts of Winterfell and the bodies of the Starks, here's some interesting watches. (Haven't seen part 2 yet.)

Either I didn't pay close enough attention when I watched, or most of this is in the books. Because I have no clue on 80% of what he was talking about.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
bearamedic99
AG
Have we ever really discussed the magic of Westeros? Though really, only the WWs, 3ER/old gods, and Children are in Westeros and most of the magic is across the narrow sea.

The dragons were around for a while. They say the Wall has wards built into it but nothing about who put them there, where else that magic might be, or who the magic wielders were.
aTmAg
AG
The more magic the lamer the story gets, IMO. I heard a GRRM say in an interview that he wanted to limit magic for that reason. I hope they stick to what they have now for the most part. For example, it would be really lame if they are all about to die then Bran uses sort of X-men like super power to kill the NK from 100 miles away or something.
smokeythebear
AG
Oh gosh, I forgot about the chains.

I'm still in the middle of Season 6 on my re-watch, can someone remind me why the Excellent Eight went north of the wall again? I vaguely remember that being the point-blank dumbest plan of the entire series. Like, even dumber than Jaime's plan to sneak into Dorne and steal away Myrcella. I forgave them for it because it was a cool cut-scene and had some nice dialogue, but still, really dumb plan.
AgMarauder04
AG
C@LAg said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

C@LAg said:

It will have a new title sequence.
With that song? Or is this sarcasm?

But seriously, the whole map covered in snow and ice would be baller.

Entire new sequence, same theme song. Supposedly plan is to update each week as the ice moves south.

Melisandre actress leaked partial clip during premier last week

Always loved how the map is current with the show.
redline248
AG
I'm certain you don't have to worry about that.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Phrasing
AG
They went north to capture a wight and bring it back to Cersei so should would believe that there is an army of the dead. The end result would be for everyone to fight the Army of the dead together so they would have a better chance of survival. And yes, it was the dumbest plan ever. I just rewatched them hatching the plan and it still bothers me.
aTmAg
AG
clinker03 said:

They went north to capture a wight and bring it back to Cersei so should would believe that there is an army of the dead. The end result would be for everyone to fight the Army of the dead together so they would have a better chance of survival. And yes, it was the dumbest plan ever. I just rewatched them hatching the plan and it still bothers me.
I don't think it's a bad plan to go get one. The bad part of the plan was sending the King of the North himself to go get one.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Phrasing
AG
The idea around the plan was fine but given the context of what they were trying to accomplish I thought it was foolish. I mean it sounds great - "Let's just go grab one of these things and we can show it to Cersei and she will have no choice but to join us - yay!" It's great in theory but in this show's reality its not that easy. And when they were planning it there wasn't even a hint of a counterargument - everyone was like "sure, this sounds great - let's do it". I felt like the show writers needed to get a dragon in the hands of the Night King and this was the easiest way from them to do that. It felt like lazy writing. Or it could be they were hard pressed for time given they only had a limited amount of episodes to work with so they were speeding things up.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Definitely lazy writing. I made a similar post a few days ago.

I rewatched it this weekend and I find myself a little less bothered by it than before, but that's probably cause I went in knowing what I was getting.

Dany flying across half of Westeros in a single day is probably the thing that bothers me the most about it, not to mention the convenience of the frozen lake and the fact that Gendry ran back to Eastwatch in one night. (I guess they could've still been relatively close to the wall though.)
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG

double aught
AG
It seems that some of the issues with season 7 would've been alleviated with three more episodes. Why did they only make seven?
Icecream_Ag
S
double aught said:

It seems that some of the issues with season 7 would've been alleviated with three more episodes. Why did they only make seven?
storyline iirc. If they did 10 episodes like normal they would have had to either cut a bunch out or add a bunch of filler bs. They decided to cut the number of episodes to make 2 half seasons to finish the show
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
double aught said:

Budget.

Since Season 6 when they got to $100M budget ($10M pr episode) they have been capped at about that amount. HBO only agreed to that amount for the last 2 seasons.

With it getting more elaborate and more effects it costs more per episode. So that $100M does not go as far. you got 7 longer episodes in S7 (about 8 episodes of average length) and S8 we are getting 6 episodes that are really about 7 average episodes in length.

First Page Last Page
Page 63 of 420

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.