****** Game of Thrones - Season 8 ******

1,892,312 Views | 14667 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Prosperdick
aTmAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
clinker03 said:

The idea around the plan was fine but given the context of what they were trying to accomplish I thought it was foolish. I mean it sounds great - "Let's just go grab one of these things and we can show it to Cersei and she will have no choice but to join us - yay!" It's great in theory but in this show's reality its not that easy. And when they were planning it there wasn't even a hint of a counterargument - everyone was like "sure, this sounds great - let's do it". I felt like the show writers needed to get a dragon in the hands of the Night King and this was the easiest way from them to do that. It felt like lazy writing. Or it could be they were hard pressed for time given they only had a limited amount of episodes to work with so they were speeding things up.
The bad writing, IMO, is how Jon Snow went (that's like the president flying an F-18 in Independence Day), how they just to happened to be saved by that frozen lake, how the timing was just right so that the dragon came to save the day at the last moment, how Benjen showed up suddenly, etc.

I disagree on the idea of the mission itself being a bad idea. Cersei would never agree to join forces on their word alone. The only shot they had was to take her north of the wall (which would never happen) or take a wight to her (and even that didn't convince her enough). So I think trying to kidnap one was a good idea, not a bad one.

What should have happened, IMO, is that they send 5 or so dudes to covertly trap a wight and sneak him back, rather than go to war with 100,000 of them. Of course, that doesn't kill a dragon so the writers would need a smarter way to get that figured out.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Teddy Perkins
AG
These are excellent. The Hound's was awesome but Tyrion's got me right in the feels.
Rex Racer
AG
aTmAg said:

What should have happened, IMO, is that they send 5 or so dudes to covertly trap a wight and sneak him back, rather than go to war with 100,000 of them. Of course, that doesn't kill a dragon so the writers would need a smarter way to get that figured out.
The plan WAS to covertly trap one wight. The problem was the execution. They forgot to cover his mouth so he couldn't scream and call all of his buddies.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
aTmAg
AG
Here's me pretending to be a writer for a minute:

Maybe Jon Snow sends 5 dudes to covertly grab a wight. They never come back. So they send another group to find out what happened to the first group. They find their dead friends in an obvious battle to the death. They also find a severed wight hand crawling around on the ground. They grab the hand and take it back. Jon shows the hand to Dany to convince her. Dany is sold, because she trusts Jon, but agrees that it wouldn't convince Cerise since she'd think it was some magic trick. They decide they still need a full wight like originally planned. So now Bran uses ravens to do some recon and he finds a small group of (temporarily) stranded wights. Since time is of the essence, they fly some dudes on dragons to that spot to catch one wight (and probably kill the rest). Dany pilots the biggest dragon, Jon pilots the 2nd biggest one (it trusts him because he let it smell his hand once), and the smallest dragon orbits overhead. The NK see's the high flying dragon and starts his army running in that direction. Meanwhile, Dany is able to quickly burn all but one stranded wight on the ground, and Jon lands his crew to fetch that one. When close enough, the NK throws his super spear and kills the little dragon. Jon sees this, has his guys grab the wight, and quickly gets airborne . The NK tries to kill another dragon, but Jon and Dany are able to change dragon direction while the spear is in flight and makes it basically impossible. It's not like spears are radar guided or anything. They fly back with their wight, morn the dead dragon, sign NDA's, and the rest happens like it aired.
Belton Ag
AG
Episode IV said:

aTmAg said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Interesting.

Personally, I don't love the idea of a "magic item" like a horn bringing it down, but then again, as cool as it was to see a dragon bring it down, I didn't love that either.

It essentially made it so that our heroes were the reason they were able to attack Winterfell in the first place. The Wall had stood for generations, and there wasn't any huge reason to think the Wall couldn't stop them this time.

Which is ironic to think about, in hindsight. Tyrion tells her "sometimes doing nothing is the hardest thing to do", when she has to go rescue everyone.

In this case, doing nothing would have meant the death of everyone who ventured beyond the wall, but it also ensured the Army of the Dead would never cross.
Couldn't they have just gone in through that gate? That seemed like a big weakness. A sort of a flaw in the story, IMO.
"They" = Army of the Dead?

I don't think so:

Quote:

"The Wall's not just ice and stone," Benjen told Bran and Meera. "Ancient spells were carved into its foundation. Strong magic. To protect men from what lies beyond. And while it stands, the dead cannot pass. I cannot pass."

It's been rehashed over and over, but it's so odd that in the finale of season 6 Benjen says this to Bran and then in season 7 they bring a Wight south of the wall. I wonder if they'll go back and fill that plot hole or not.
aTmAg
AG
Rex Racer said:

aTmAg said:

The plan WAS to covertly trap one wight. The problem was the execution. They forgot to cover his mouth so he couldn't scream and call all of his buddies.
I meant 5 guys other than Jon. That part had a Independence Day vibe to it.
ChipFTAC01
AG
Why do they need an NDA?
TheDraw
AG

Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Belton Ag said:

Episode IV said:

aTmAg said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Interesting.

Personally, I don't love the idea of a "magic item" like a horn bringing it down, but then again, as cool as it was to see a dragon bring it down, I didn't love that either.

It essentially made it so that our heroes were the reason they were able to attack Winterfell in the first place. The Wall had stood for generations, and there wasn't any huge reason to think the Wall couldn't stop them this time.

Which is ironic to think about, in hindsight. Tyrion tells her "sometimes doing nothing is the hardest thing to do", when she has to go rescue everyone.

In this case, doing nothing would have meant the death of everyone who ventured beyond the wall, but it also ensured the Army of the Dead would never cross.
Couldn't they have just gone in through that gate? That seemed like a big weakness. A sort of a flaw in the story, IMO.

I don't think so:

Quote:

"The Wall's not just ice and stone," Benjen told Bran and Meera. "Ancient spells were carved into its foundation. Strong magic. To protect men from what lies beyond. And while it stands, the dead cannot pass. I cannot pass."

It's been rehashed over and over, but it's so odd that in the finale of season 6 Benjen says this to Bran and then in season 7 they bring a Wight south of the wall. I wonder if they'll go back and fill that plot hole or not.

perhaps they flew it OVER the wall
aTmAg
AG
ChipFTAC01 said:

Why do they need an NDA?
Inside joke. (poking fun at myself)
aTmAg
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

Belton Ag said:

Episode IV said:

aTmAg said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Interesting.

I don't think so:

Quote:

It would have been hilarious if it "died" after flying over the wall. "Crap.. now what?"
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Belton Ag
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

Belton Ag said:

Episode IV said:

aTmAg said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Interesting.

I don't think so:

Quote:

They did fly it OVER, but, uh, that seems like a rather cheap out.
aTmAg
AG
C@LAg said:

the weight earlier in the show (season 1?) survived passing through the wall to enter the castle.
The bald dude? How did he die again? So maybe the rule is they can be carried/brought over the wall by the living, but cannot themselves pass over/through it.
redline248
AG
In season 1 they brought a wight through the wall (which they thought was dead). Benjen isn't a wight, he's more like the Walkers. Perhaps the magic of the wall only keeps them out?
aTmAg
AG
Belton Ag said:

Zombie Jon Snow said:

Belton Ag said:

Episode IV said:

aTmAg said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Interesting.

I don't think so:

Quote:

They did fly it OVER, but, uh, that seems like a rather cheap out.
The flying over exception would explain why the wall was 5 miles high. Otherwise, it could be one foot tall physically and infinitely tall magically.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
aTmAg
AG
C@LAg said:

aTmAg said:

The flying over exception would explain why the wall was 5 miles high. Otherwise, it could be one foot tall physically and infinitely tall magically.
in case you are not being figurative... 700 feet.

but that does merit an explanation. if the wall was magic enough to keep the dead from passing, why did the wall need to be that high. even if something climbed the wall, it should not be able to pass over/through it.
Yeah I was being figurative. All I know is damn that thing is tall.
redline248
AG
C@LAg said:

aTmAg said:

in case you are not being figurative... 700 feet.

but that does merit an explanation. if the wall was magic enough to keep the dead from passing, why did the wall need to be that high. even if something climbed the wall, it should not be able to pass over/through it.

Maybe 1000 years ago the living saw how well the NK threw those javelins. A short wall still left them vulnerable to precision death strikes.

Correction: 8000 years
double aught
AG
aTmAg said:

. It's not like spears are radar guided or anything.
This part got a chuckle out of me.
WestAustinAg
AG
Just rewatched season 1 again. Loved it as it setup so much that i really missed the first time i was watching things that i later figured out but it helped a lot.

Have 6 days left. What season or specific episodes should i focus on this week?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I'd hit the major events.

Blackwater, Red Wedding, Purple Wedding, Laws of Gods and Men, Mountain and Viper, Hardhome, Battle of the *******s, and all the finales.
redline248
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Blackwater, Red Wedding, Purple Wedding, Laws of Gods and Men, Mountain and Viper, Hardhome, Battle of the *******s, and all the finales.

Don't forget cave sex, Dany's first Dracarys, and farewell to Hodor
chipotle
What about Pods first time/orgy? Mel showing Snow her dirty pillows? Hot pie telling Brienne the grave importance of gravy?
thepartygoat
AG
redline248 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Ramsay with Myranda...... #1 for me
double aught
AG
thepartygoat said:

redline248 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Ramsay with Myranda...... #1 for me
Myranda is one of my faves.
Liquid Wrench
S1 E9 is on right now. I always forget how long Bronn has been on the show; somehow in the back of my mind I still think of him as being a newer character.

*Sidenote: Tyrion is telling the story about his first wife the "prostitute" and what his father's men did in the barracks. I recently watched Prime Cut, a 1972 movie with Sissy Spacek and Lee Marvin, and there's a scene in that movie similar enough that it almost had to have been a source for Martin.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
bushytailed
AG
Just rewatched The Door.
It still hurts.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Agnzona
Do we get anymore boobage in the final season?
"Fort Worth where the West begins...and Dallas is where the East peters out!"
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Agnzona
So just the beheadings without the boobs.
"Fort Worth where the West begins...and Dallas is where the East peters out!"
First Page Last Page
Page 64 of 420

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.