****** Game of Thrones - Season 8 ******

1,892,679 Views | 14667 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Prosperdick
Bunk Moreland
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Then they ****ed it up by never explaining Bran fully(or close to it) and also having him contradict himself all season/series.

Not fleshing out his character combined with allowing people to use the "bran saw ahead and knew" as a defense is just dumb. Makes Bran the cheapest plot device in the history of TV.
cbr
AG

lol, it's so bad in so many ways.

even if 'what happened' isn't the most absurd ending conceptually, the whole episode was just 'wtf' in execution.

What's funny is they even nailed my supposed 'theme' 'she didn't have a choice, she's my queen, the throne is the real evil burn it, now I have no choice but to kill her' -

and 'break the wheel' can only be done by some supernatural power' theme, and even then it doesn't really work.

(insert guy who sees everything and cant be poisoned instead of dragonswhichflew..off ..where?)

but it flopped so hard it's worse than could ever be imagined. At least 20 people on this thread wrote better endings.

They even attempted to show that 'break the wheel' can only be done by voting for a king that knows everyone and therefore can't be poisoned or betrayed' except we really have no idea what the **** he can or can't really see or do, where he goes, or why..

So what happened to arya and the horse and her whole character? nothing.

And let me get this straight - the 3 eyed raven has been around 10,000 years since before mankind, never minded the affairs of men, never led before, doesn't care to be with living people, and no one understands what he is.......and he can't be a lord of anything... and is lost in seeing everything past and present everywhere.........

yet all of a sudden he's excited (see eli manning face meme below for superbowl level 'i'm the king!' excitement)

to travel all the way to sacked city to be voted king of the burned throne by the hairy prison dwarf at some impromptu meeting........ which....was ..... for........... supposedly the hairy dwarf's trial?

Aaaaand the show thinks it's a good time for an 'awkward millennial funny' scene to have a bunch of randos, losers, freaks, and literally idiots all of a sudden decide to laugh at democracy, but out of the blue listen to the traitor/prisoner/hairy dwarf that was supposedly on trial, and make Mr. crippled-mystery-magic-peyote-smoking-dreamer-dude-king -- even though they have no idea what planet he's even on?

and the main character gets pincushioned without even a word or a farewell or even an emotional 'look'?

With no tie in to any of the prior angst or joy or whatever.. the leadup is just awkward nonsense... and what little dialogue there is sounds like total utter nonsense......

aaaaaand snow is on the ground.for ...what ...reason? and of course with no guards or anyone in sight because.....that makes sense?

Aaaaand everyone is just ignoring the ****ing dragon, who hates the throne and the game. But not the dude who betrayed and murdered its mother

They make the most interesting, controversial character in tv history decide to dress up in a hitler outfit, with hitler banners, and give a forgettable, nonsensical 'FFFFFFFFF (insert spit here) IIIRST OAAAADHAAAH' bad guy speech right out of TLJ's pathetic playbook.

then her forgettable - last - scene - body gets flown away for...what. reason...? to............where.......?

aaaaand they just sort of instantly rebuilt the whole city........exactly ... how? and why?

and Mr. Excitement is going to suddenly rule from. the . Melted throne in the burnt city .why?

and as king he suddenly pops in and abruptly leaves the counsel to tell dirty jokes and laugh about nothing....... to find out where the dragon is taking her body...for.........what....reason?

aaaand all of a sudden the big woman puts on her full armor to write nice things .abouther.. .. hateful man?

Aaaaaand the 'there and back again' doesn't even mention Bilbo?

and a whole boatload of best soldiers in the world who happen to be lonely eunuchs are...sailing.......off.......to....someplace.......to....do.........what?

aaaaaaand the dothraki are excited to.....do......what? and they went.....where? ..for what purpose?

aaaaaaaaaaaand the nasty red haired *****........won't support her brother, and wants a competing kingdomfor.......what reason? I guess to show that nasty schemers are still in play, just not where Mr. Peyote is watching?

aaaaand she's got her own kingdom and army so......i ... guess... .the game goes on!?

aaaaaand jon is sentenced to prison and exile .to.a . Place with no need to exist anymore.aaaaaand that's why they don't execute him..aaaaaand he gets there and ignores his sentence and runs off into the wild with his eyes on red haired women and his pet wolf with the gratuitous petting scene, and ignoring the king and everything. Ok..

Big Al 1992
AG
Great point from Clay Travis thatbwe mentioned while we were watching it

"Couple of plot things here: how does anyone know Daenerys has been killed? It wasn't uncommon for her to disappear for substantial periods of time with her dragons. So the only way anyone can tell Jon killed Daenerys is because he came outside and confessed. But without a body and with no witnesses, doesn't it seem strange that they would all believe his story?"
hbc07
AG
Do you smell burnt toast?
PatAg
AG
"If you think this story has a happy ending you havent been paying attention"
just quoting a character in the show all the time, never thinking about what kind of story Martin actually tells.
BarKeep_03
AG
spag.ag2003
AG
I think the biggest failing from all of this is due to the fact that D&D actually knew the true ending and were likely faithful to it.

The problem is they knew where the chess pieces ended up but had absolutely zero clue how to get there. I mean c'mon it makes no sense in the show that Bran is King based on what we know in the show of Bran. It would be like flipping to the end of A Song of Ice and Fire and seeing Bran as King and thinking it was pretty stupid but you've completely missed the hundreds of pages over two books subtly leading the reader to that resolution.

I honestly think they would have been better off building an ending based on the trajectories the show had more clearly built. Yeah it wouldn't have been GoT expectation subversion but it would have at least made more sense in the context of a full watch.
cbr
AG
La Bamba said:

dromo07 said:

He played the game
Exactly why Bran felt it was so necessary that Jon know his true lineage. He knew Jon would sabotage himself (cause I mean, he's Jon) and ruin the good thing he had going with Dany. Then Bran would get the iron throne t himself. It was all part of the plan and Bran was just playing 4D chess.
He did play the game, and he obviously knew kl had to be burnt because he set it up.

Doesnt make it any less of a turd swirling ending though.
Ags4DaWin
It's pretty clear that the show went to **** the second the writers didn't have the books to take material from and started trying to come up with their own *****

The last two seasons were utterly despicable in the same way that the Last Jedi thumbed its nose at fans.

You have great story arcs for characters and then at the last second have them do **** that is totally out of character and then don't spend two seconds explaining why the **** they went off the rails.

Then they spend 6 ****ing seasons on two mirror image story arcs to have neither character fulfill their arc. Both heroes just break spontaneously so that they are either villains or pathetic shells of themselves.

Sansa was a joke- her play for the North's freedom had nothing to do with her people- it was a knee jerk reaction to needing to control her environment as a result of the trauma she experienced under Joffrey, Cersei, and Ramsey. She never heals. She becomes bitter, untrusting of anyone and everything that could possibly make her vulnerable emotionally-totally unsuited to rule anything. What she needs is a good therapist. They should have gotten Kelsey grammer to show up and be her Maester.

Tyrion is a ****ing joke. Every move he makes is the wrong one after the battle of the Blackwater. Even after his entire family flips him the bird (except Jaime) he runs back to try and help them, murderous and treacherous ****s they are.

Jaime has a chance to live a decent life with Brienne and gives that up and reverts ba k to the person he was prior to meeting her.

Just ****ing ridiculous.
Fenrir
Night King is the true hero of this story, trying to save the people of Kings landing from slaughter at the hands of Dany and the three eyed Raven who made it all happen.
samurai_science
bangobango said:

Muy said:

Anyone else see the subtle shot at the 2016 election where the leaders laugh at the idea of a popular vote selecting who leads?
You realize Trump lost the popular vote, right?

Which means jack because our system works. Thankfully California and New York dont get to choose the president based on popular vote. Every state gets voice
La Bamba
AG
cbr said:

La Bamba said:

dromo07 said:

He played the game
Exactly why Bran felt it was so necessary that Jon know his true lineage. He knew Jon would sabotage himself (cause I mean, he's Jon) and ruin the good thing he had going with Dany. Then Bran would get the iron throne t himself. It was all part of the plan and Bran was just playing 4D chess.
He did play the game, and he obviously knew kl had to be burnt because he set it up.

Doesnt make it any less of a turd swirling ending though.

Well, I was being sarcastic on my post. The show made us believe that Bran had zero emotions, or desires. So to think he was scheming to sabotage his brother is ludicrous. Even though, the ending makes more sense with my satirical comment than what transpired. Which is why this ending was so bizarre and nonsensical.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Fenrir said:

Night King is the true hero of this story, trying to save the people of Kings landing from slaughter at the hands of Dany and the three eyed Raven who made it all happen.

true...and then Arya and Melisandre are the accomplices.
Truvada_for_prep
Last week of nerd rage I liked the ending
spag.ag2003
AG
BarKeep_03 said:

I legitimately thought this was going to happen
OldShadeOfBlue
AG
Big Al 1992 said:

Great point from Clay Travis thatbwe mentioned while we were watching it

"Couple of plot things here: how does anyone know Daenerys has been killed? It wasn't uncommon for her to disappear for substantial periods of time with her dragons. So the only way anyone can tell Jon killed Daenerys is because he came outside and confessed. But without a body and with no witnesses, doesn't it seem strange that they would all believe his story?"
Uhh thanks Clay, but you should stick to football.. or not.

The idea that Jon walks out of the Red Keep and lies about killing Dany would be as out of character as Dany torching a city to the ground.
AustinAg2K
Could Bran not just tell Arya what is West of Westeros?
bangobango
AG
daggertx said:

bangobango said:

Muy said:

Anyone else see the subtle shot at the 2016 election where the leaders laugh at the idea of a popular vote selecting who leads?

Which means jack because our system works. Thankfully California and New York dont get to choose the president based on popular vote. Every state gets voice
F-ing seriously?
jtstanley4621
AG
Fenrir said:

That is a good insight. Put me on team Night King. Bran as the king felt really forced, and it's going to be interesting to see the people who a few weeks ago would have agreed that bran is annoying as hell as a character scramble to insist that this was still a good episode because it really SUBVERTED our EXPECTATIONS!
OldShadeOfBlue
AG
FightinTexasAg15 said:

So Bran was right where he wanted to be, which means he knew Dany was going to burn through King's Landing and massacre all those people. And he didn't do anything. Sounds like a great guy, good king material
I've said this multiple times already. Bran knew everything was going to happen and did nothing, if not add fuel to the fire by pushing for Jon to know his lineage. Yet the show for some reason refuses to let Bran confirm that. So frustrating.
cbr
AG
Well at least we know who will play eli manning in the manning biography movie.
La Bamba
AG
AustinAg2K said:

Could Bran not just tell Arya what is West of Westeros?
Bran comes off as the biggest troll in the show if he truly is a future seer and knows all. Must just find it effing amusing to know everything and not tell anyone.
Liquid Wrench
The show has never made it clear how much Bran can see or know about the future. And other characters have had visions too. One of Dany's visions mostly came true tonight.
ccaggie05
AG
I have mixed feelings about the finale. It was spoiled for me so I missed out on any shock or surprise about how things played out. Unfortunately, like the rest of the season, it was insanely rushed.

Bran as king seems pretty lame to me, mostly because he was under developed in the series. Apparently he plays a much larger role in the books, so I could see Bran as king maybe being the ending GRRM told D&D about years ago. Unfortunately, I don't think the show did a great job of mapping out the journey.

I'm ok with Arya and Jon's endings. Sansa's doesn't make sense given that nobody questioned the North becoming independent (then again they didn't question Bran as king either).

At the end of the day, I loved the majority of this show overall. Things sort of went off the rails starting in Season 7, but that doesn't change how much I enjoyed it prior. So based on that, I'm a bit sad to see it go. I sure will miss the opening title score. Maybe my favorite show intro of all time.
spag.ag2003
AG
Stolen from elsewhere:

The Council scene was a masterpiece.

Grey Worm: Shut up Tyrion, you're our prisoner, you are not here to speak!
Tyrion: OK lemme just say one thing tho. Lets elect a new king.
Grey Worm: Fine, you can speak. But deliver no more than 2 long-winded speeches deciding the course of history which I will then agree to.
Tyrion: Our new king should have a good story.
No one: You mean like the rightful heir to the throne, who was raised a *******, was sent to the Night's Watch, was brought back to life, led an army to save the world from being destroyed by ice zombies - that story?
Tyrion: No, I mean the kid who fell out a window and is now seemingly brain damaged.
Council: Aye!
That kid's sister: Not me. The North must be independent. They will never accept a Stark as their ruler. I'll rule them instead.
Tyrion: What do you say, Bran?
Brain-damaged kid: I don't want it. But I came here specifically to get it.
Grey Worm: It is decided. I will forgive the murder of the Queen I traveled across the world to serve, as long as you guys pinky-swear not to let Jon off the hook as soon as I leave this country forever.
Tyrion: Deal.
fightinags2013
AG
Shocked that anyone liked, or felt remotely satisfied with that ending.
Urban Ag
AG
LeonardSkinner said:

Claude! said:

Obviously you never saw a little show called Simon & Simon.

I cannot blue star this enough.
Wow, both my mom and dad have Texags accounts! Whoa.
Ags4DaWin
This. Noone. Not Sansa. Not Bran. Not Arya. Not Sam.

Mentioned once that John was the rightful heir to the throne and Dany trying to take it was literally treason. So jon killing Dany was perfectly legal.

Grey Worm didn't have the right to hold him prisoner. And Bran was the most useless POS in the show. Cripple boy that can mind control ravens and peep on people in the past. So what?

I was upset that the Night King never got explained, but I was like- okay cool. They are saving time to write a killer ending.

I would have been much happier if they had ended the show after Arya offs the night king and Jon screams like a little ***** at the zombie dragon.
OldShadeOfBlue
AG
daggertx said:

bangobango said:

Muy said:

Jesus Christ guys, do I really have to post a link for this?

Politics Board
Liquid Wrench
fightinags2013 said:

Aside from being rushed, I'm shocked anyone was shocked by how it ended.
OldShadeOfBlue
AG
Social Media Influencer said:

The show has never made it clear how much Bran can see or know about the future. And other characters have had visions too. One of Dany's visions mostly came true tonight.
They've definitely made it clear.

• Bran knows to wait for Jaime at the gates of Winterfell
  • Bran knows to give Arya the Catspaw dagger which will kill the Night King
  • Bran states that he came to Kings Landing to accept the throne
  • Bran has a freaking vision of Drogon flying over Kings Landing back in season 6...
bangobango
AG
spag.ag2003 said:

Stolen from elsewhere:

The Council scene was a masterpiece.

Grey Worm: Shut up Tyrion, you're our prisoner, you are not here to speak!
Tyrion: OK lemme just say one thing tho. Lets elect a new king.
Grey Worm: Fine, you can speak. But deliver no more than 2 long-winded speeches deciding the course of history which I will then agree to.
Tyrion: Our new king should have a good story.
No one: You mean like the rightful heir to the throne, who was raised a *******, was sent to the Night's Watch, was brought back to life, led an army to save the world from being destroyed by ice zombies - that story?
Tyrion: No, I mean the kid who fell out a window and is now seemingly brain damaged.
Council: Aye!
That kid's sister: Not me. The North must be independent. They will never accept a Stark as their ruler. I'll rule them instead.
Tyrion: What do you say, Bran?
Brain-damaged kid: I don't want it. But I came here specifically to get it.
Grey Worm: It is decided. I will forgive the murder of the Queen I traveled across the world to serve, as long as you guys pinky-swear not to let Jon off the hook as soon as I leave this country forever.
Tyrion: Deal.

Yep, that whole sequence was just beyond stupid.
ccaggie05
AG
fightinags2013 said:

I can easily see GRRM saying years ago that Bran is king at the end. Unfortunately the show did a bad job of getting to that point, especially with GRRM never delivering another book.
cbr
AG
Social Media Influencer said:

fightinags2013 said:

Aside from being rushed, I'm shocked anyone was shocked by how it ended.
Dissappointed but not surprised at the 'outcome'

Absolutely stunned at the horrible execution.

By far the biggest flameout in entertainment history.
OldShadeOfBlue
AG
Anyone else think it was odd when Bran mentioned there was no master of whispers? Would literally be the most pointless job in Westeros.
First Page Last Page
Page 396 of 420

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.