Fyre Fest debacle

110,240 Views | 586 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by West Point Aggie
Tobias Funke
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anybody been tracking what's going on in the Bahamas at "Fyre Fest"? The "luxury music festival", put on by Ja Rule and a private investor, and promoted by lots of models, has sunken into chaos in the last 24 hours.

http://www.thefader.com/2017/04/28/fyre-festival-bahamas-cancelled-report

According to multiple reports, the festival was nowhere close to being ready when people started showing up. Super expensive "beach cabanas" turned out to be relief-effort-style tents, celebrity chef meals ended up being bread and cheese and some lettuce, and the artists started dropping off the bill one by one until they just cancelled the thing. Many of the attendees who were flying out of Miami on chartered planes yesterday were informed on the runway that the festival/island had notified the airline not to send anybody else. It sounds like absolute chaos. And pretty hilarious (as long as nobody gets hurt).

The festival was said to be located "on a private island previously owned by Escobar", but is actually just a Sandals resort on an island with thousands of residents.

Ag_07
AG
Tobias Funke said:

put on by Ja Rule and a private investor

First red flag
Furlock Bones
AG
haha, what a complete **** up.
Bunk Moreland
WOW. I'm sorry I'm not sorry those morons blew thousands of dollars on this boondoggle.

Even if it ran perfectly, that sounded like the most pretentious and douchy festival I've ever heard of.

The fact that it was a complete disaster makes it all the better.
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
Tobias Funke
AG
TC, I know you've gotta have friends who were going to this, right? Any stories?

One of my buddies had tickets for weekend 2. Interested to see if he gets his money back.
TCTTS
AG
Great compilation of tweets that tells the basic story. So fascinating...

https://twitter.com/i/moments/857902104681361410
TCTTS
AG
I honestly hadn't even heard of this thing 'til I woke up this morning. Anyone I know who goes to things like this just goes to Coachella, but even that feels like my friends and I are getting too old for it (personally, you couldn't pay me to attend Coachella or really any big music festival).
Bunk Moreland

Bunk Moreland

Bunk Moreland
Tobias Funke said:

One of my buddies had tickets for weekend 2. Interested to see if he gets his money back.

Wait, this ****show somehow was a 2 weekend event? How glorious.
Tobias Funke
AG
Quote:

Ashanti town

brilliant
Jim01
AG
For reference here is the lineup that was supposed to be there:

israeliag
AG
Sounds like the scene when the zombie apocalypse hits Beverly Hills.
israeliag
AG
Sponsored by United Airlines and Pepsi
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
The second week apparently features an all-inclusive refugee treatment package.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG

mrsbeer05
AG
There is not one band I would pay more than $25 to see... But I really only know who Blink 182 are. Silly rich kids.
biobioprof
Never heard of it before this thread, but thanks for the epic schadenfreude

TCTTS
AG
So what was the endgame here on behalf of the festival owners/promoters? I don't get it. At best, attendees were going to pay a lot of money only to discover the sh*ttiest music festival known to man. Say they had a few more port-a-potties, had a decent amount of (albeit terrible) food, the tents were at least serviceable, some of the bands showed up, etc. Even then people would be demanding their money back. But now, it's obvious the whole thing was a ruse (I think?), and I could easily see there being criminal charges, full refunds, etc. I just don't understand what the owners/promoters thought they were doing or would get away with. Unless they're really THAT bad at this, and were somehow in too deep to call it off?
Ag_07
AG
I would bet the plan wasn't as elaborate as it was portrayed but not near as bad as it ended up.

Like I would guess they didn't plan to have porto potties but it got to be too late for infrastructure so they just threw some (eh...one) down.

They may not have meant to do such a bad job but they were clearly in over their heads.
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, I guess. I just can't imagine being that ill-prepared for something like this, though.
Btron
AG
powerbelly
AG
Tobias Funke
AG
What's the joke with the ball pit?
TCTTS
AG
It's basically a kids' inflatable pool filled with balls. What's not funny about that? It's like the most half-assed thing ever.
Al Bula
AG
This is insane. I love that privileged dbags wasted money on this.
Topaz
Tobias Funke said:

What's the joke with the ball pit?

I think it's photo-shopped from the infamous Dashcon.

redd38
AG
TCTTS said:

So what was the endgame here on behalf of the festival owners/promoters? I don't get it. At best, attendees were going to pay a lot of money only to discover the sh*ttiest music festival known to man. Say they had a few more port-a-potties, had a decent amount of (albeit terrible) food, the tents were at least serviceable, some of the bands showed up, etc. Even then people would be demanding their money back. But now, it's obvious the whole thing was a ruse (I think?), and I could easily see there being criminal charges, full refunds, etc. I just don't understand what the owners/promoters thought they were doing or would get away with. Unless they're really THAT bad at this, and were somehow in too deep to call it off?
You know how Instagram is full of spoiled but useless people? I'm guessing one of those spoiled people wanted to be a festival organizer and proved to be useless.
oragator
Ag_07
AG
Man the replies to that tweet are awesome.

And I love releasing an official statement without any resemblance of correct punctuation or grammar.

Right on par with what I expected.
wessimo
AG
Assuming this is legit, the planner hadn't even visited the site as of a couple of weeks ago.

DG-Ag
AG
wessimo said:

Assuming this is legit, the planner hadn't even visited the site as of a couple of weeks ago.

The Dunder Mifflin party planning committee would've done a better job than these knuckleheads.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.