The Mummy (2017 reboot) trailer

17,899 Views | 148 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by TCTTS
double aught
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TCTTS said:

Screw it. I just went from "Yeah, sure, I'll see that" to all in. Whether I like it or not, Cruise always gets me in the end (though I'm deducting a few points for using the Game of Thrones season finale music so soon after)...

Real stunts.
scubasteve304
AG
Tom Cruise turned into Jet Li so gradually I didn't even notice.
cs09
AG
With Grace from Peaky Blinders?

I'm in.
jabberwalkie09
AG
cs09 said:

With Grace from Peaky Blinders?

I'm in.
First time I saw Annabelle Wallace in anything was when she was in Strike Back.
americathegreat1492
This is coming out like, tomorrow. Review embargo lifts tonight.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Already have tickets to 7pm tomorrow night.
CorpsAg11
AG
Bold prediction: At some point in the movie Tom Cruise will be running full speed towards the camera with something scary behind him...
hurleyag
AG
Not that bold of predictions since that scene has been in every trailer.
rhutton125
AG
Reviews are coming in. Not sounding too good. 23% on RT after 28 reviews

TexasAggie_02
AG
Quote:

Kind of wish they would have saved that bit for the movie. The director was talking about the challenges of having Tom Cruise in your movie since he's always the hero and never dies.
Edge of Tomorrow says hello.
The Collective
AG
rhutton125 said:

Reviews are coming in. Not sounding too good. 23% on RT after 28 reviews

#Resist.
CorpsAg11
AG
PatAg said:

Scorpion King basically launched The Rock as a movie star though, right.
Iiii
Stand alooonnee

True but i don't remember leaving that movie thinking that The Rock was the future of cinema. It was pretty awful...
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
I really like the Brendan Fraser " the Mummy" but maybe that is because of Rachel Weisz.

The 1999 The Mummy has a 57% on rotten tomatoes. the current one is 29% hmmm.

Note the Peter Cushing, Christopher Lee, Mummy ( 1959) is 100% on rotten tomatoes, the Boris Karlof one ( 1932) is 93%
The Collective
AG
Brennus said:

I really like the Brendan Fraser " the Mummy" but only because of Rachel Weisz.

TCTTS
AG
Disappointing to see this getting ripped apart. Really wanted to like it. Multiple reviews saying it's the worst of Cruise's career. Crazy.
The Collective
AG
Damn, even Tom Cruise can't overcome rebooting a ****ty movie series... I can only wish that this might serve as some kind of turning point in Hollywood.
CorpsAg11
AG
CJS4715 said:

Damn, even Tom Cruise can't overcome rebooting a ****ty movie series... I can only wish that this might serve as some kind of turning point in Hollywood.

GiveEmHellBill
AG
TCTTS said:

Disappointing to see this getting ripped apart. Really wanted to like it. Multiple reviews saying it's the worst of Cruise's career. Crazy.
Already have tickets to 7pm tomorrow night.

j/k.....I'm sure I'll find something to enjoy in this and I bet my kid's love it.
PatAg
AG
Until this thread, I thought everyone generally liked The Mummy and the Mummy Returns. Sure remember the theaters being full. I guess that was also before social media ruining our society's ability to enjoy anything in life?
americathegreat1492
The original Mummy was a hell of a lot of fun. I'd put it over any of the three Star Wars prequels, yet it did poorly on critics' scores. I'll wait for audience reports from the Mummy. The scores from critics are ****ING TERRIBLE. I have a really hard time believing that very many professionally created moviea are as bad as the scores it's being given. Some of them are intended to be bad, which is understandable, but this bad??? I might have to see it to believe it.
rhutton125
AG
The reviews I saw made it sound like they're trying to push a lot of world-building into this one. Part of the downside that comes with building a shared universe overnight, like the BvS emails scene, or the Warcraft movie going way too deep into lore.
TCTTS
AG
Sadly, this is so true now...

AgBQ-00
AG
I thought this was a reboot of the old classic horror movies. Not a revisit of the Brendan Frazier seriea
wangus12
AG
A sorta positive review I found.

http://movieweb.com/mummy-movie-review-2017-tom-cruise/
zgood10
AG
Flashdiaz
AG
I found it interesting that his next movie's trailer, American Made, was released recently along with the news that Top Gun 2 is happening.... almost as if they knew the Mummy was a lame duck and therefore decided to push other projects.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Flashdiaz said:

I found it interesting that his next movie's trailer, American Made, was released recently along with the news that Top Gun 2 is happening.... almost as if they knew the Mummy was a lame duck and therefore decided to push other projects.
Or because Cruise's name is everywhere because he's got a big movie opening this week? It's great cross-promotion for several projects.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Okay, I just got out.

What a horrible experience.

I really wish that you can get some kind of a warning when purchasing tickets early that you're going to be seated right next to an extremely obese f*** whose flabby arms extend over your armrest. I just spent two hours pressed against the other armrest, trying not to gag at this repulsive man's body funk. All he needed was some Travel Scrabble to pass the time until the previews started to make the experience truly hell.

I can still smell that horrible smell. I think it permeated my clothing. God, that almost ruined my evening. Do people that obese not realize that they smell and that others can easily smell it?

The movie? Oh, it was enjoyable. Not great, but not 26% on rottentomatoes bad. The movie was much darker than I anticipated. Cruise's trademark charisma tried desperately to break through the darkness, but it was still pretty intense at times. Jake Johnson's American Werewolf in London role was fun. Anyone else and that role would not have worked. I also think there was too much Russell Crowe in this. Not that he wasn't good, it's just that there was too much Jeckyl and Hyde in a Mummy movie.

As for the "Dark Universe" that this is supposed to start: it's probably one of the less interesting shared universes to me.

All in all, the movie is worth seeing at least once. However, there were times when all I could think about was the horrible smell I was being subjected to.

Oh, and just a word of warning: I brought my two boys (aged 9 and 14) and there were numerous scenes where I think I may have scarred my 9 year old. It got pretty intense at times and I'm not looking forward to his bedtime the next few nights. Just an FYI for anyone wondering how appropriate this is for kids: it's not the typical "fun" Tom Cruise movie.
jabberwalkie09
AG
rhutton125 said:

The reviews I saw made it sound like they're trying to push a lot of world-building into this one. Part of the downside that comes with building a shared universe overnight, like the BvS emails scene, or the Warcraft movie going way too deep into lore.

I just got home from this, there's some but not a lot. Honestly I stayed away from reviews for this and enjoyed it for the action popcorn flick it was.

Beyond one character, Jekyl who they don't give any real back story for at all and his organization he runs, theres not a whole lot more going on in this movie other than the movie itself with the Mummy.

Warcraft failed for other reasons beyond just going too deep into the lore, though yes that was some of it. And this didn't suffer from the issue of incoherence or "why is this character even here" like BvS did.

The Mummy is entertaining and while it definitely has its own story to tell, it does set itself up as the first step towards building a cohesive universe but that's mostly in relation to the two things I put in spoiler tags. And really, they're not in it long enough to really influence things imo.

My one problem I had was that the tone felt a little uneven. In that there would be tension built up at times and then some humor introduced. Pacing was mostly fine though, but was probably a little wordy at times.

ETA: Looking at Rotten Tomatoes, I see it has a mid 20's rating and I think that's a little on the harsh side. I wouldn't say this is a great movie, but it's at least a fun movie and kept my attention.
rhutton125
AG
Interesting, thanks all
Grapesoda2525
Glad to get some feed back on this. I'm still going to go no matter what. I generally don't listen to the critics and stay away unless it is overwhelmingly bad from both the critic and audience perspective. It sounds like this movie will be watchable, and that's all I was really hoping for. Definitely going to go.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
I am on the fence on this one. If I decide to go, is there a post credit sequence I should stick around for?
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

I am on the fence on this one. If I decide to go, is there a post credit sequence I should stick around for?
Nope.

jabberwalkie09
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

No. There is no post credit sequence that I know of. I looked online during the credits to see if I should stay.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
"After Credit" app.

Saves me a lot of time.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.