The Mummy (2017 reboot) trailer

17,905 Views | 148 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by TCTTS
CrazyDayDuck
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Brennus said:

I really like the Brendan Fraser " the Mummy" but maybe that is because of Rachel Weisz.

The 1999 The Mummy has a 57% on rotten tomatoes. the current one is 29% hmmm.

Note the Peter Cushing, Christopher Lee, Mummy ( 1959) is 100% on rotten tomatoes, the Boris Karlof one ( 1932) is 93%

Now now. That only means 93% of the critics liked it, not that it was actually a 93 on a scale of 1 to 100.

Speaking of 93s on RT, the bad news for The Mummy is good news for Wonder Woman, who killed it on Mon and Tue.

Latest projection I heard was for The Mummy to get 35 mil this weekend and WW to get 50 mil. Looks like WW could break 400 mil internationally ...and maybe ... dare I say ... 500 mil? It's next biggest competition is another Transformers movie.
Bobcat06
AG
Back in the 1990s (insert OldManYellsAtCloud.jpg), TV dramas were episodic. There was an overarching plot that occurred in the season premiere and finale, but the bulk of the series would be one-off villain of the week episodes with a teaser at the end reminding you of the big plot. In X-Files, Fox Mulder would spend the entire episode investigating a lizard monster but at the end of the episode, he would find a document belonging to Cancer Man. But if you missed a random episode, no big deal.

In the 2000s, TV dramas became serial. It started with Sopranos, Lost and The Wire, where an entire season would tell a single story. If you missed an episode, you missed a key part of the story. As technology advanced and DVRs/streaming services became widespread, more shows were becoming serial. By 2012, every show wanted to be the next Breaking Bad.

Conversely, back in the 1990s movies were self contained stories. When you walked out of blockbusters like Forrest Gump or Braveheart, you weren't speculating what would happen in the sequel. It was a great story in and of itself. But as CGI increased the cost of special effects, movies would only be greenlit if they had a built in audience. This ushered in the the comic book era, Lord of The Rings, and Harry Potter series.

Then in 2012, a movie came along that changed the industry. The Avengers introduced the concept of a cinematic universe, with characters having individual movies while combining in a single film. This prompted the audience to watch not a single film, but 5 films to enjoy one.

In addition to Marvel Universe, there are now plans for DC Universe, Sony Spiderman Universe, Star Wars Universe, Monster Universe (2014 Godzilla), Dark Universe (Tom Cruise's Mummy).

Further, it's now become standard to include post credit scenes that advertise the next film. Each film in a cinematic universe features it's own stand alone bad guy, but in the post credit scene it advances the over-arching plot of the series.

The invention of the cinematic universe is actually a regression to the episodic TV shows of the 1990's. Is there any difference between a post credit scene with Thanos grabbing a glove and X-Files going to credits as Cancer Man watching Mulder on a hidden camera? No.

Cancer Man has become Thanos.
Aggie_Journalist
AG
So Thanos killed JFK?
Thanks and gig'em
Grapesoda2525
I hate the super hero non-sense. It's overkill for me at this point. The last super hero movie I saw in theaters was the original Thor movie.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
grapespda2525 said:

I hate the super hero non-sense. It's overkill for me at this point. The last super hero movie I saw in theaters was the original Thor movie.
To each his own, but you've missed some really good movies...
TexasAggie_02
AG
Aggie_Journalist said:

So Thanos killed JFK?

No, that was magneto
Grapesoda2525
Anyone else seen this by now and want to weigh in?

I'm probably going this Thursday
Clavell
AG
I saw it last night. Just thought movie was all over the place. It couldn't make up it's mind to be a horror, adventure, comedy, throw back to old horror, or what. The horror scenes didn't scare me. The humor dialogue was cringe worthy. Just didn't think much of it as whole.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
This is just so weird.

This movie is one of Cruise's lowest opening weekends domestically and the film is already considered a failure here.

Yet, it is also the biggest opening of his career overseas, including his biggest opening day ever in China. Early returns show it making upwards of $175 million overseas just this weekend. Crazy. This movie may actually be a success for the studio while considered a flop here.

Weird what the international box office is meaning for Hollywood.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Overseas box office is so weird now. Furious 8, Pirates, and now The Mummy were somewhat of disappointments domestically, but are all are doing great international numbers.

Meanwhile WW is crushing it domestically, but is well behind internationally.

Interesting seeing the two differ so much these days.

I guess huge movie stars matter much more internationally than they do here. And maybe what are considered classic comic book characters here in the states aren't always as renowned internationally.
rhutton125
AG
Indeed. China seems to love big-budget, visual thrills. Things like Terminate: Genisys and The Great Wall and the Transformers films. I guess the visual spectacle of it. Warcraft did pretty well there, IIRC.

On the other hand, there's a lot less history for things like Star Wars and Wonder Woman.
Grapesoda2525
I kind of identify with the foreign audience. I've seen pirates, furious 8, and will see mummy this week.

I don't like the super hero movies. They were fun in the 2000's decade, but I'm sick of them now. The only way I can protest is by not going. I probably won't see Wonder Woman for a very long time from now, if ever. I know the super hero non sense probably isn't going anywhere tho. It's all about money and the super hero movies make a killing in the summer with the soccer moms who have children driving the sales.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Overseas box office is so weird now. Furious 8, Pirates, and now The Mummy were somewhat of disappointments domestically, but are all are doing great international numbers.

Meanwhile WW is crushing it domestically, but is well behind internationally.

I hate to say it, but I think WW's soft overseas numbers may be due to the fact that it's an Israeli woman in the lead role. That's maybe two strikes against it in some countries.
Grapesoda2525
Doubt Wonder Woman is doing well in Germany
WTF95
Was really enjoying this until the stupid appearance of Dr Jekyll. Don't have any idea why they did that.

CrazyDayDuck
grapespda2525 said:

Or in the Muslim countries.
Flashdiaz
AG
for those that won't see it in the theater, why not?

for me, I suppose I'm just tired of the reliance on CGI and the villain that destroys cities with big clouds of cgi dust or cgi mummies or cgi eyes. The marketing relied too heavily on that.
and the mummy isn't supposed to be an attractive female.... sorry, i'm not going to be scared of that.

They should have gone with either a simpler mummy or a grosser scarier one.

Rex Racer
AG
WTF95 said:

Was really enjoying this until the stupid appearance of Dr Jekyll. Don't have any idea why they did that.

Because they are trying to set up future movies in this universe.
Grapesoda2525
I hope it pays off in the future, but yea this movie had the unenviable task of starting what the studio hopes is a big franchise to counter marvel and others while simultaneously still trying to give us a movie. I haven't seen it yet, but I will soon. At least ahmanet is hot and the special effects will probably be good.
TexasAggie_02
AG
havent seen the movie, but judging by the comments, it is trying to cram a new universe into one movie. just like with DC, they take shortcuts and hope to benefit from Marvel's success. It took Marvel 4 years, 5 movies, and a lot of post-credit cameos to get to the Avengers. These other shared universes are trying too hard to cram more info into fewer movies.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
There's really two movies here: the Mummy and the setup for the Dark Universe series.

The Mummy movie was very enjoyable. The scenes with Dr. Jekyl were just too much. Too long and really stuck out. A pity as Russell Crowe is a fine actor.
jabberwalkie09
AG
GiveEmHellBill said:

There's really two movies here: the Mummy and the setup for the Dark Universe series.

The Mummy movie was very enjoyable. The scenes with Dr. Jekyl were just too much. Too long and really stuck out. A pity as Russell Crowe is a fine actor.

The issue with Crowe's character wasn't that the scenes were too long, but that the addition of Hyde wasn't needed at all.

Frankly, this does a better job plot wise IMO setting up their universe than BvS did. That's a movie that just suffered from way too many characters and too much going on. Especially since the movie could have survived on just Lex as the villain.
Ag Since 83
AG
Just got home from this. I actually enjoyed it for the most part. The last act definitely got a bit out of control, but for the most part it was just dumb fun.
FTACO97
AG
Wife and I went last night to see it. We actually enjoyed it. Don't think it deserves the low scores on RT at all. There were parts where the humor seemed misplaced, but for the most part it was an enjoyable movie. Also, I didn't think there was that much universe building in this film other than Russell Crowe's character which fit in with the story just fine.

Also, on our way home discussing the RT score, we agreed that if Brendan Frasier's original Mummy came out today, it would get about the same score. Just seems like these kind of films don't connect with the critics these days (Mummy, latest Pirates, etc).

Finally, did anyone catch the connection to the 1999 Mummy?
jabberwalkie09
AG
I did see the Book of Amun Ra (or however you spell it). I was wondering if anyone else had spotted it.
hurleyag
AG
I'm impressed, you know your history.
jabberwalkie09
AG
I know my treasure.
Sex Panther
AG
They should've had Brendan Fraser play the mummy since his career is dead and they also probably wouldn't have to spend anything on special effects on him.

Also the Brendan Fraser Mummies were pretty dope
FTACO97
AG
jabberwalkie09 said:

I did see the Book of Amun Ra (or however you spell it). I was wondering if anyone else had spotted it.
Bingo
BassCowboy33
CrazyDayDuck said:

grapespda2525 said:

Al Jazeera is running daily slamfests on it.
HvilleAggie
AG
BassCowboy33 said:

CrazyDayDuck said:

grapespda2525 said:

To be fair, I'd run a daily slamfest on Gal Gadot too
GiveEmHellBill
AG
HvilleAggie said:

BassCowboy33 said:

CrazyDayDuck said:

grapespda2525 said:

To be fair, I'd run a daily slamfest on Gal Gadot too
wesag
AG
RT sitting at 15 percent.
wesag
AG
Ag Since 83 said:

Just got home from this. I actually enjoyed it for the most part. The last act definitely got a bit out of control, but for the most part it was just dumb fun.

Texags, where **** movies get a pass. "It took me a while but it finally clicked about an hour into Alex Kurtzman's hilarible The Mummy that the whole thing wasn't a really bad movie, but a really bad videogame in bad-movie form"
CorpsAg11
AG
Saw it today. Not as good as the first 2 mummy movies, but not nearly as bad as a 15% Rotten Tomatoes rating led me to believe. Maybe I came in with low expectations but i thought it was decent.

Also, why wouldn't Cruise just let the mummy girl have him... She was totally bangable!!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.