*** GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY VOL. 2 ***

92,486 Views | 580 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by dreyOO
joemeister
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
A great, fun movie. I really only want to add that I thought the use of Fleetwood Mac's "The Chain" when Ego turned Peter into a battery was the best use of a classic song in either film.
TCTTS
AG
Right there with you. LOVED that moment.
israeliag
AG
Max Power said:

Sam Rockwell [...] was great.
Is he ever not?

Ironically, if there was one film Guardians 2 most reminded me of it is Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Maybe Vol. 3 should just be Hitchhiker's Guide to the Guardians of the Galaxy. If GotG wasn't annoying enough to type, now we can abbreviate it as HGttGotG!
FightinTexasAg15
AG
Just saw it a second time, and it was even better somehow!
09AggieJC
AG
First off, I want to say this movie was amazing probably better than the 1st except the soundtrack, which was still great.

I never knew what a McGuffin was until I read this forum, but couldn't the batteries be it? They do move the movie along for at least a while and are very important to the end as well. Just a thought.
Bulldog73
AG
I too had never heard the term, and I agree, the whole movie centered around the batteries.
rhutton125
AG
I think it's more of a "if the bad guys get the __, we're all screwed!" Tesseract, Aether. The Rabbits Foot from MI3. The orb from Guardians 1. That kind of thing.
TCTTS
AG
That's a good point. I could potentially see the batteries being a McGuffin, but maybe not quite. It's usually something that the plot not only revolves around, but has more of a lore. Like, it's usually accompanied by a scene where a character explains its powers and/or importance, history, etc. Basically, its given a bit more reverence. And yes, there's a brief mention of what the batteries can do, but I wouldn't quite say the plot revolves around them. They're more of a catalyst or part of the inciting incident than anything. It's not like the gold guys NEED them back. It's more that they were disrespected or spited, I'd say.
redline248
AG
Saw last night, really awesome movie.
bangobango
AG
A McGuffin is something the protagonist chases after or tries to get. If the movie was Sovereign centric, then the batteties would be the McGuffin.

Not every movie has a McGuffin. I do not think Galaxy 2 has a McGuffin, but other people may disagree.
israeliag
AG
I felt like the batteries really only had one scene in the first act and two scenes in the last act with an impact on the plot. Really though the batteries only played a significant part in two players arc - Rocket and The Soveriegn.

To borrow from Vol 1 It's no "ark of the covenet / Maltese falcon sort of vibe".
KidDoc
AG
I saw it again last night with my wife and enjoyed it. I still think it is a bit heavy handed with the sappy bits but still an amazing movie.

I saw the first in IMAX 3D in Bryan and this time I went to the Cinemark XD 3D. I think I like the XD better but that may also be because they have awesome recliners in that theater as well.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
TexasAggie_02
AG
aggie1906 said:

aggie kid said:

Hey, does anyone know where I can get one of those Zunes?
I actually looked it up. They're not cheap.

Really? I still have mine.
TexasAggie_02
AG
Ag Since 83 said:

BTW, did anyone else think Ego's illustration eggs were kind of Man of Steel-ish? (more colorful, of course; this is Marvel)
the eggs and the ship made me think of "Mork and Mindy," which would make sense, given the 80s vibe
redline248
AG
Speaking of 80s, I meant to ask this...

The movie started in 1980, and then moved to "34 years later," right? So that movie was supposed to take place in 2014?

Am I remembering that correctly?
TexasAggie_02
AG
article on why goldblum was dancing in the credits.

http://screenrant.com/guardians-galaxy-mission-breakout-goldblum-grandmaster/

basically, they had footage of him dancing and borrowed it for GOTG. Also, in the comics, he is the Collector's brother.

Quote:

"We had footage of just Goldblum dancing and thought it would be fun to put it in there. And as you know from the comics, he's The Collector's brother. Keep an eye out at a particular theme park attraction opening soon, you'll get to see a little crossover It's just a fun thing."
lne2011
AG
I noticed it too. I think this is meant to help explain why there will be a full grown Groot when they need to battle Thanos. Notice during the credits Groot was in his teenage years.
TexasAggie_02
AG
redline248 said:

Speaking of 80s, I meant to ask this...

The movie started in 1980, and then moved to "34 years later," right? So that movie was supposed to take place in 2014?

Am I remembering that correctly?
yes. from what i read, b/c they had baby groot in it, this movie takes place just a few months after the first one.

seems kinda weird though, since the giant blob in Missouri is basically retconed into the MCU, as there is no mention of it in any other MCU materials. This would've happened right around or after The Winter Soldier.

Of course, it was a localized phenomenon, and no one on earth could possibly know how or why it happened.
FancyKetchup14
AG
Saw it tonight. Awesome movie and a great sequel!
Ambres
AG
joemeister74 said:

A great, fun movie. I really only want to add that I thought the use of Fleetwood Mac's "The Chain" when Ego turned Peter into a battery was the best use of a classic song in either film.
Agree 100%. Unlike other movies.. looking at you DC.. Gunn does an awesome job integrating the music w/ Guardians themes .. "Mr. Blue Sky" .. perfect opening theme and it expresses the audience feeling for the excitement for the movie.

My wife was adopted and "Father and son" made her cry .. a lot. Then at after the movie she turn around and bought a ticket to see it a second time. She never see movie twice.. but this one she did.

I won't be able to hear "Come A Little Bit Closer" without thinking of the fight scene.

I am really appreciating what Gunn is doing w/ this group. You can tell he is a big fan and he is really having fun with the material. The changes he has made, actually works. He changed Drax backstory and origin, Starlord's dad to Ego and personality, and he also changed Yondu backstory and created the Ravengers from the original Guardians.. and no fan boy cared cause the movie was great. This shows what happens when you have a director who understand his/her audience and build a product that they want to see.

The only thing missing is Maj Victory .. come on I want to see Vance Astro .. ie Justice .. he is an Avenger and hopefully should make it as his older version as Maj Victory or younger version as Justice.. either version would be awesome.

4 years ago nobody cared about Rocket or Groot.. today my wife has a baby Groot on her car dashboard.

Mathguy64
AG
Saw it Friday. It drug a bit in the middle but what movie doesn't. All in all a lot of fun. Watching Baby Groot dance through the opening scene was just perfect. If you want to know why Marvel is kicking WB/DC Comics rear end all you have to do is watch dancing Baby Groot at the start and teenage Groot in the credits.
Farmer1906
AG
mathguy86 said:

Saw it Friday. It drug a bit in the middle but what movie doesn't. All in all a lot of fun. Watching Baby Groot dance through the opening scene was just perfect. If you want to know why Marvel is kicking WB/DC Comics rear end all you have to do is watch dancing Baby Groot at the start and teenage Groot in the credits.

Actually DC Outsells Marvel in comics.

MCU >>> DCU
Bruce Almighty
AG
aggie1906 said:

mathguy86 said:

MCU >>> DCU

Do they? I thought over the last couple years, Marvel was outselling DC. With Star Wars being a huge seller I remember reading that Marvel had the edge in market share.
tamusc
AG
DC dropped the price of their comics by $1 and had a pretty successful reboot in Rebirth at the same time. Those two things combined really helped them gain back ground that they lost with the New 52 universe.
TCTTS
AG

SeattleAgJr
Bruce Almighty said:

aggie1906 said:

mathguy86 said:

MCU >>> DCU

Do they? I thought over the last couple years, Marvel was outselling DC. With Star Wars being a huge seller I remember reading that Marvel had the edge in market share.
For the last 3 years, Marvel COMICS has slit its own throat with stupid decision after stupid decision.

Plus they have lost the bulk of their writing and penciling talent to DC or Image.

The COMICS division does not make much money from the comics themselves. It is all from the licensing.
FightinTexasAg15
AG
"I'm Mary Poppins y'all" will forever be one of the greatest movie lines.
Gigem314
AG
jackie childs said:

TCTTS said:

There are few things I want more in a movie right now than a Stark/Rocket or Stark/Drax conversation. I'm going to be straight up giddy when that happens.
those would be great, but I think the real treat is going to be Rocket seeing an actual raccoon.
Rocket: What the hell is this?
Peter: It's a raccoon.
Rocket: A rac-a...what? Never heard of it.
Peter: It's what YOU are, you moron.
Rocket: That is NOT me!
Drax: This creature is smaller, and far less irritating.
Groot: I am Groot.
Rocket: Exactly, Groot. That ain't me.
Peter: Oh my God!!!
Drax: Why does it eat garbage? That disgusts me.
FightinTexasAg15
AG
Gigem314 said:

jackie childs said:

TCTTS said:

There are few things I want more in a movie right now than a Stark/Rocket or Stark/Drax conversation. I'm going to be straight up giddy when that happens.
those would be great, but I think the real treat is going to be Rocket seeing an actual raccoon.
Drex: This creature is smaller, and far less irritating.
Drex: Why does it eat garbage? That disgusts me.
Gamora: This one must be a trash panda!
TexasAggie_02
AG
derekjohnson15 said:

Gigem314 said:

jackie childs said:

TCTTS said:

Drax: So THIS is a trash panda. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA it looks just like you HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
TexasAggie_02
AG
lol

Cromagnum
AG
TexasAggie_02
AG
Cromagnum said:

um, where's his left hand?

also, where can i get that shirt?
Gigem314
AG
TexasAggie_02 said:

derekjohnson15 said:

Gigem314 said:

jackie childs said:

TCTTS said:

Drax: So THIS is a trash panda. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA it looks just like you HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
(Peter whispering): It's MUCH worse.
TexasAggie_02
AG
interesting. GOTG 1 Groot actually died. Baby Groot is a true rebirth.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.