*** GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY VOL. 2 ***

92,747 Views | 580 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by dreyOO
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
aggie kid said:

Hey, does anyone know where I can get one of those Zunes?
I actually looked it up. They're not cheap.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
AMW2010
AG
Wow, what a tear jerker!!
israeliag
AG
aggie1906 said:

aggie kid said:

No joke, I actually used to own one, but ended up losing it on a euro-trip in Poland. I like to think that that is the one that ended up in the hands of Peter Quill.
jeffk
AG
Saw it again yesterday. Still awesome.
TheCzar
AG
Going back to the earlier villain discussion, I completely agree that the villain issue is part not good enough villains, but also partly due to not enough screen time (Loki being an exception on both accounts).

With Thanos looking ever-present in the background, I think Marvel missed an interesting opportunity to really get the audience invested in him and appreciative of how powerful/determined he is. Why not have villain-centered movies? I can't imagine a "Thanos Quest" movie, which delves into his backstory a bit to get him to the present, then follows him for 75+ minutes as he gathers the infinity stones, wouldn't make a ton of money??

They could introduce a few heroes that he beats fairly easily (one villain problem is you know they're gonna lose in these movies), and end the flick with the Infinity Gauntlet completed and him ready to rule the universe (or decimate the universe, whichever way they want to go with it). I'm assuming they'll take a chunk of Avengers 3 to show just that, but IMHO a Thanos-centric movie could have been a potentially better way to go.

Then again... looking over the Marvel villain roster, there's not many I would go see a movie where they are the main character. Venom for sure if he was done right. Dr. Doom has so much potential. I'd watch a Magneto movie. Galactus. Hmm.. that honestly might be the extent of the list for me.
schmendeler
AG
I never thought I'd go see an ant man movie, but I did. I think more people than you think would be interested in a villain movie. an interesting concept and actor would draw me in to see it.
Max Power
AG
schmendeler said:

I never thought I'd go see an ant man movie, but I did. I think more people than you think would be interested in a villain movie. an interesting concept and actor would draw me in to see it.
This might be one thing DC gets right before Marvel. They are doing a Black Adam movie with The Rock. It was originally going to be a Shazam movie with him as the villain but evidently canned that idea in favor of just a straight up Black Adam movie.

I know they are supposedly planning not only a Venom movie but also a Sinister Six movie on the Marvel side.

The key is you have to have a villain that has some level of a relatable story, not a villain that is just evil for evil's sake. Marvel has done a solid job in their films of showing where the villains are coming from in the films as far back as the Raimi Spiderman movies.

Not sure what the ideal combination of villain and actor would be for a Marvel film. While I like the Marvel superheroes over DC as a whole, I think DC might have a better lineup of villains to pull off a villain-centric movie.
OnlyForNow
AG
You gotta make him kill some people that have been shown in other movies that people liked.

John C. Riely... ok he is just a throw away character but people know him, and he is a general or captain or whatever of the nova Corps... want to make people hate Thanos? Have Thanos personally kill him in a villainous way, not just use the power stone to destroy a whole bunch of ships.

Have Thanos, choke the life out of the Collector (if he isn't working for him), as Beneico Del Toro is a recognized dude.

A movie showing that kind stuff would be good. It ends on a sour note, hell have the ending be that one of the avengers or someone semi-avengerish gets killed by Thanos.
Sex Panther
AG
Just have him kill baby Groot.

You'll probably have riots and protests, but hey mission accomplished.
schmendeler
AG
Max Power said:

schmendeler said:

This might be one thing DC gets right before Marvel. They are doing a Black Adam movie with The Rock. It was originally going to be a Shazam movie with him as the villain but evidently canned that idea in favor of just a straight up Black Adam movie.

I know they are supposedly planning not only a Venom movie but also a Sinister Six movie on the Marvel side.

The key is you have to have a villain that has some level of a relatable story, not a villain that is just evil for evil's sake. Marvel has done a solid job in their films of showing where the villains are coming from in the films as far back as the Raimi Spiderman movies.

Not sure what the ideal combination of villain and actor would be for a Marvel film. While I like the Marvel superheroes over DC as a whole, I think DC might have a better lineup of villains to pull off a villain-centric movie.
you had me at "the Rock"
AliasMan02
AG
The whole movie, imo, depends on how they leverage the Time Stone. If he is able to travel through time to prevent the Avengers from being formed or something, it could open crazy doors. But you need a narrative reason why he can't just do ANYTHING.

Do you nerf the stones? Or do you just really tie it up with a narrative that people will buy? It will be a challenge.
Ag Since 83
AG
BTW, did anyone else think Ego's illustration eggs were kind of Man of Steel-ish? (more colorful, of course; this is Marvel)
OnlyForNow
AG
Ya, but then wouldn't he set himself up for future failure? Or does the time stone allow him to move through time and he and the stones wouldn't be affected?

If the avengers never formed, the stones would still be strewn about the galaxy...
AliasMan02
AG
OnlyForNow said:

Ya, but then wouldn't he set himself up for future failure? Or does the time stone allow him to move through time and he and the stones wouldn't be affected?

If the avengers never formed, the stones would still be strewn about the galaxy...

I think they'll go something in that direction.

Or maybe the Time Stone can just rewind like it does in Doctor Strange.

Pretty much all options are on the table.
fig96
AG
Ag Since 83 said:

BTW, did anyone else think Ego's illustration eggs were kind of Man of Steel-ish? (more colorful, of course; this is Marvel)
I thought that was kind of an odd way to explain the story. It was interesting but I assumed they were some sort of digital representation, then was surprised to see they were more tangible when they looked at them again later on.

I'm curious to hear how they came up with that.
Beat40
I'm seeing this Friday night and cannot wait to come back to this thread!
rhutton125
AG
I think the villain issue is, mostly, exposure. I don't know that Loki in Thor 1 is a top-tier comic villain, but he evolves a bit further and we see him scheme and kick ass again in Avengers. He also is back in Thor 2 and continues his story arc. But 3 films is rare. There was no chance that your earth-bound Obadiah Stane, Darren Cross, or Aldrich Killian types would have multi-film mileage.

Most origin stories also go with a satisfying villain death, so that the hero can close this chapter and move on to bigger things. I think that's why Ronan the Accuser got melted instead of coming back to plague the Guardians or do whatever else he does in the comics. Or why Red Skull died but Hydra lived on.

It seems like either...
1) You're just a villain to be overcome as part of the hero's journey (Obadiah Stane, Whiplash, Darren Cross, Red Skull, Ronan, Mandarin, Malekith, Kaecilius, Abomination)
2) You're make the most of the time you have, and are pretty decent, but the focus is still the heroes (Zemo, Ultron, Ego, Hydra)
3) You stick around long enough to matter (Loki)

I'm hoping that Thanos, Hela and Mordo join that #3 category. Ayeisha and the Sovereign are definite #1s. Vulture is probably a #2 but maybe they'll keep him around for a potential Sinister Six arc or something. No clue on the Black Panther villains but I'm hopeful, because Michael B. Jordan is awesome.
fig96
AG
Great read here from Nerdist:

**FILLED WITH SPOILERS**
http://nerdist.com/how-guardians-of-the-galaxy-celebrates-the-family-we-choose/

dcAg
You have to stay until the end of the credits!!!
MooreTrucker
AG
rhutton125 said:

I'm hoping that Thanos, Hela and Mordo join that #3 category. Ayeisha and the Sovereign are definite #1s.
Doesn't Adam make that not necessarily the case?
MooreTrucker
AG
Sex Panther said:

Too late. Already a teenager. And a sullen one at that.
MooreTrucker
AG
Max Power said:

schmendeler said:

Not to mention the Suicide Squad.

(OK, you just said movie, not GOOD movie....)
Max Power
AG
MooreTrucker said:

Max Power said:

schmendeler said:

Not to mention the Suicide Squad.

(OK, you just said movie, not GOOD movie....)
Depending on how loosely one defines movie.
rhutton125
AG
MooreTrucker said:

rhutton125 said:

I'm hoping that Thanos, Hela and Mordo join that #3 category. Ayeisha and the Sovereign are definite #1s.

Maybe, but he's important enough to be his own entity. At least, if they adhere to comic history at all. I thought the Sovereign were **** so unless they suddenly become more interesting, they're just a plot device to get us Warlock and then die. Kind of like Ronan - to bring the team together and then die and we all move on.
FTACO97
AG
aggie1906 said:

aggie kid said:

My wife and I literally just donated ours to Goodwill about 2 months ago...was kicking myself at the end of the movie :-p
Farmer1906
AG
I wanted one over an ipod when they came out. I didn't have the money for either. I ended up with a cheaper version.
jeffk
AG
MooreTrucker said:

Sex Panther said:

Too late. Already a teenager. And a sullen one at that.

Truth. By the end of the next Guardians flick everyone might be wishing Teen Groot was dead.
Sea Pony 07
AG
Same here, well the best buy salesman talked me into a creative zen. But then didn't honor the extended warranty. My brother had a zune.

MooreTrucker
AG
rhutton125 said:

MooreTrucker said:

rhutton125 said:

Maybe, but he's important enough to be his own entity. At least, if they adhere to comic history at all. I thought the Sovereign were **** so unless they suddenly become more interesting, they're just a plot device to get us Warlock and then die. Kind of like Ronan - to bring the team together and then die and we all move on.
Until that end crdit thing, I thought of the Sovereign as almost comic relief with their video game fighters with the Galaga sounds and maneuvers.
rhutton125
AG
That's probably how I should have viewed them. Same as the Ravager mutineers
oldarmy1
AG
For you poors who don't take the movie in at an Alamo Drafthouse I give you the best of the pre-show clips.

MooreTrucker
AG
Amen! That was SO awesome!! Chicken ninja rules!!!
Max Power
AG
I'm 100% in if Marvel decides to do a full Justin Hammer movie with Sam Rockwell. Iron Man 2 doesn't get much love but he was great.
AliasMan02
AG
Max Power said:

I'm 100% in if Marvel decides to do a full Justin Hammer movie with Sam Rockwell. Iron Man 2 doesn't get much love but he was great.
They'll have to go back to the well at some point as things carry on. Hammer would be a great foil for the Avengers if and when Stark ever goes down. Political climate changes and suddenly Hammer has to offer what nobody else will, did some webcasts from prison and got super popular in tech circles, etc. Or a new Iron Man takes the mantle and Hammer sees the chance to come out on top against a new adversary.

You know, he'd actually be a good stand-in for Norman Osborne if they want to go all Dark Avengers at any point.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.