*** GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY VOL. 2 ***

92,752 Views | 580 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by dreyOO
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
From set reports, there seem to be quite a bit of real-world Earth locations for Infitnity War. A lot of oversees stuff. I could be wrong, but I'm not getting the feeling it will be very cosmic. Maybe the third act could be, though?
Bruce Almighty
AG
One of the best things about Civil War was everyone's reaction to Ant Man and Spider-Man. Rocket and Groot would be even better.
TCTTS
AG
There are few things I want more in a movie right now than a Stark/Rocket or Stark/Drax conversation. I'm going to be straight up giddy when that happens.
fig96
AG
I've always understood that it had it's origin with Hitchcock.
fig96
AG
And I'm just back from our screening...what an absolute freakin blast. Gunn's ability to nail his desired tone scene after scene continues to amaze me.

That first scene alone was worth the price of admission.
Sea Pony 07
AG
Dancing baby Groot in the first scene is possibly my favorite part of the movie. It just makes me feel happy.

Anyone else notice that colonel mitchell from stargate/chriton from farscape was the golden general?
LeonardSkinner
Sea Pony 07 said:

Dancing baby Groot in the first scene is possibly my favorite part of the movie. It just makes me feel happy.

Anyone else notice that colonel mitchell from stargate/chriton from farscape was the golden general?

I knew he looked familiar. I couldn't quite place him in that moment.
Cromagnum
AG
The chick from The Night Manager was also the Ayesha woman who created Adam.
mickeyrig06sq3
AG
The Army Good Conduct ribbon on the cloth on Yondu's face at the end was a nice touch. But, why did they have to get rid of Chibs so early?
The Collective
AG
I love the bully takedown... reminded me of a good 80s kid movie moment.
The Collective
AG
Cromagnum said:

Would smash.... to gain a better understanding of course.
Sex Panther
AG
The Sovereign remote pilot center essentially being an arcade was a fun touch
fig96
AG
Sex Panther said:

The sound effects in that sequence were gold.
jackie childs
that movie was incredible. they absolutely nailed it. it was a 2+ hour movie that still left me disappointed that it was ending. the storylines, the humor, the emotion, the visuals...I just thought everything was great.

in addition to all the other great quotes/lines...one of my favorites was Peter saying "I'm going to make some weird s***"
Max Power
AG
That was great, loved it, and so did the wife. I still like the first one more, but I'm not disappointed at all by this one. But I do agree this one had more memorable moments.

This one was definitely funnier and more emotional. Didn't get teary, but anything with fathers and their kids pulls at me.

The scenes with Drax and Mantis were greatness. I hope they continue to have Rocket blame every other character for stealing batteries as long as this series continues.
Complete Idiot
fig96 said:

Sex Panther said:

The sound effects in that sequence were gold.
Yeah, there was a lot of gold in Sovereign scenes.

I recognized old arcade sounds and laughed, but wasn't sure if they were from any particular game. Were they, or just generic sounds?
AliasMan02
AG
I thought at the time it was Space Invaders but don't know for sure.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
mickeyrig06sq3 said:

The Army Good Conduct ribbon on the cloth on Yondu's face at the end was a nice touch. But, why did they have to get rid of Chibs so early?
I totally agree with them dispatching Chibs so quickly.

Why did they bring in such an instantly recognizable character actor like Tommy Flanagan as a Ravager, only to kill him off before he even does anything? I actually got excited when I first saw him; thinking he was going to have a somewhat substantial part or something memorable. Nope. Dead.
jeffk
AG
edit - TA doesn't like my Groot GIF.
israeliag
AG
Another great one (so many of them): the father/son catch scene. I knew it was stupid, you knew it was stupid, the whole theater knew it was stupid, even James Gunn knew it was stupid, and it was so hilarious.
The Collective
AG
jeffk
AG
Hi!

(and thanks)
MooreTrucker
AG
TCTTS said:

Yeah, it's gotta be. And what a cool scene that could be, seeing these storylines finally come together like that. It's like the most perfect post-credit scene imagineable.
Anyone for some shwarma?
MooreTrucker
AG
CJS4715 said:

Cromagnum said:

Would smash.... to gain a better understanding of course.
For the research.
MooreTrucker
AG
Sea Pony 07 said:

And the fact that he was doing pretty much the exact same steps as Peter did in the opening of the first movie was awesome!
rhutton125
AG
So, things I liked and didn't like. Spoilers marked as a courtesy:

Liked:
- Yondu. If you'd told me beforehand that Yondu would become maybe my favorite character and die at the end and I'd be emotionally moved, I don't know if I would have believed you. Great work, and a good way to go out on top. One of the few MCU deaths that won't end up being a fakeout a la Loki, Nick Fury, Bucky, Pepper Potts, Loki again, etc
- Ego. His villainous twist was great, I thought. Very welcome and plenty messed up. That carried a lot of weight, just conceptually - your long lost father who is telling you everything you've wanted to hear your whole life, but wait - he's maybe given this speech a thousand times and discarded the bodies when they were useless to him, or will kill your friends and mom just to further his plan.
- I enjoyed the Gamora and Nebula stuff. Good to get them past that a bit, probably a necessary development for their involvement in Infinity War to carry much weight emotionally.
- Actually, any of the character development was nice. Yondu, Rocket, Quill, etc.

Things I didn't like
- Drax being used only for comedy. He stabs 1 thing in this movie, as far as I can tell, and after that he mostly just does belly laughs and carries Mantis to a ship. He also, seemingly, has completely forgotten his vendetta against Thanos. Not that he needs to be 100% consumed by it at all times, but he kind of was in the previous film so it is a bit of a departure. Nebula went straight after Thanos, Drax is just having a good ol' time.
- Belly laughs from Drax or Rocket. I didn't hate them but it's a bit like a 90s sitcom laugh track, telling you when something is hilarious.
- The Sovereign. I thought they kinda sucked, to be honest, and the Ravagers weren't much better. Not really looking forward to any more Sovereign except to get Adam Warlock introduced. Their little space balls weren't very exciting but we got them twice.
- Very little action. It doesn't really FEEL that way because the movie still has action sequences pretty often, but considering that the first sequence stays on Groot the entire time, the ending Sovereign battle focuses on Rocket and Groot and the death button, and the showdown with Ego is Super-Quill punching around with new powers that we won't see again, it was a bit light on ass-kicking.

Perhaps that's my biggest beef- you don't get to see a whole lot of the Guardians being Guardians. Rocket gets a nice showcase in the forest, but that's about it. Yondu kills a bunch of dudes with an arrow but we already saw him essentially do the same thing in Vol. 1 against the Kree. Drax stabs one thing. Mantis puts her hand in the ground and then gets knocked out.

These are different than the other MCU films, and they should be, but I'd be disappointed if there was an Avengers film where Cap only threw his shield once, or Scarlet Witch reads someone's mind and gets knocked out and that's all she gets to do. I know the "army of robots" is overdone, but at least they give an avenue for superheroes to do superhero things. For Sovereign space pods, nobody really gets to do much.

As an aside, I love Stallone, and Ving Rhames(?!) and Michelle Yeoh(?!?!) but until their characters do something, it's kind of like a joke for one person in the theater. If I knew they were getting their own film, or they'd done something kickass earlier, I'd have loved that post-credits. But instead it's kind of a "you'll get it someday" thing.

One last thought- the character development was good but maybe didn't come all together in a way that mattered, at least on my initial viewing. Gamora and Nebula buried the hatchet but that felt so separate from Peter and Ego. Drax and Mantis built a friendship but there didn't seem like much of a payoff. Nothing quite like the team coming together to hold the infinity stone, at least.

Overall, I still enjoyed it. Had many laughs. But perhaps there were a few too many characters with not enough to do.
jackie childs
TCTTS said:

So... how do we think the Guardians find themselves on Earth for Infity War? In the meantime, we've got three more movies 'til Infinity War hits theaters in exactly one year. Out of Spider-Man, Thor, and Black Panther, the only one I could see the Guardians showing up in is Thor, and that would almost assuredly be limited to a post credit scene at best. So do they somehow come upon Thor/Banner and are tasked with bringing them to Earth? Or do Thor/Banner hop on that Raindow Bridge thing and the Guarduians are called to help in some other way? Do they team with Nebula, since she's obviously on the hunt for Thanos, who is presumably headed to Earth at this point? Either way, I'm super interested to see how all that plays out and comes together now...
the Thor tie-in makes the most sense, especially given the Goldblum connection.

As an alternative theory though, I'd rather see no mention of the Guardians until the following Black Panther post-credit scene:

We see an Asgardian at the vault telling someone off-camera how after Hela's attack on Asgard, Thanos came down, retrieved the Tesseract and mentioned something about Nowhere. Then you see the Collector in front of his still-damaged vault explaining how Thanos came and took the Aether and then mentioned something about Xandar. Then you see Nova Prime explaining how with the Nova Corp still weakened by Ronan's attack, they were no match for Thanos who took the Orb and that he's now headed to Earth. Then they pan around and you see the Guardians and Peter says something cheesy about going home.
MooreTrucker
AG
My take:

Wife and I watched #1 a couple of days ago because she'd never seen it and was taking me to #2 for my birthday. She's not much of a "space" movie fan and really not a comic book movie fan, but she loved it. And she loved this one as well.

I'm not a movie analyst type, and really appreciate TCTTS and others that are for their expertise. And I have to agree that anyone that didn't like or was disappointed by this movie, well I just don't get that. It was so much fun! Cool battles, good villains. And so sweet and emotional at the same time. The sisters, Rocket/Yondu, Peter/Yondu/Ego, all of that. WAY more character development for all, but especially (for me anyway) Rocket, and his interaction with Yondu.

Who or what is blue merle?

jackie childs
TCTTS said:

There are few things I want more in a movie right now than a Stark/Rocket or Stark/Drax conversation. I'm going to be straight up giddy when that happens.
those would be great, but I think the real treat is going to be Rocket seeing an actual raccoon.
MooreTrucker
AG
"Drax being used only for comedy. He stabs 1 thing in this movie, as far as I can tell, and after that he mostly just does belly laughs and carries Mantis to a ship. He also, seemingly, has completely forgotten his vendetta against Thanos. Not that he needs to be 100% consumed by it at all times, but he kind of was in the previous film so it is a bit of a departure. Nebula went straight after Thanos, Drax is just having a good ol' time."

I thought Drax's beef was specifically with Ronan, not Thanos. Wasn't Ronan the one specifically that murdered his family?
fig96
AG
Not a spoiler, that would be a reference to the first season or two of The Walking Dead where Michael Rooker (Yondu) played a rather questionable character named Merle.
MooreTrucker
AG
fig96 said:

Not a spoiler, that would be a reference to the first season or two of The Walking Dead where Michael Rooker (Yondu) played a rather questionable character named Merle.

Ah OK. It generated some talk about spoilers and I thought I'd missed something in the movie. I get it now.
jeffk
AG
The actor who plays Yondu also plays/played Merle in the Walking Dead.
rhutton125
AG
Yes and no. At the end of Guardians 1, Gamora says his family can finally rest in peace, and Drax says that Ronan was a puppet, and it's Thanos that he really needs to kill.

Notable because he used a metaphor. Accidental writing hole perhaps.
israeliag
AG
Quote:

Drax stabs one thing.
In fairness, Drax going nuts on the inside of that monster was one of the more WTF hilarious moments of the film and was so perfect for the character. I'm literally chuckling at work thinking about that right now.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.